Old 20th March 2007, 18:07   #46
BHPian

Poor Verna.All are blaming him.Please stop blaming him.hehe
Old 20th March 2007, 18:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
i forgot to mention a few things
now the verna is comming with wider rubber-185 65 r14.and why abs standard when you have it as option for a puny 20000rs
I believe this is only for Verna Petrol XXi model.

Have they started for Verna VGT also..??

Ramesh Chandra
Old 21st March 2007, 15:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

I agree with many that the Verna is being picked on needlessly. Come off it guys, the driver was at fault. The point is not whether the Verna has good/bad brakes but how that moron was driving the car in the first place.
Old 2nd April 2007, 22:32   #49
BHPian

Three killed in cochin due to excessive speeding

Three people were killed in an accident that happened here at Cochin nearly a month ago. I thought of posting this topic because of the increasing accident rates and associated deaths reporting in our country. It is necessary that everyone keep in mind about safety while driving.

The accident was actually caused by one of my friends and a close family friend of mine. They bought a white Hyundai Verna a week before the accident. He had barely driven it for 10 minutes since then. He just took out the car to visit some friends without telling his mom, who was at home that time. So when the accident happened and was aired on tv, his family dint know it was their son who is involved.

After visiting his friend's house, he and his friend went for a drive on the NH-47 highway at Palarivattom when they crashed into shops nearby the highway. Bystanders said that the car was speeding towards the shops and auto stand which is almost 10 meters from the highway out of control. Two people died in the spot. Many were injured and taken to the nearby Medical Centre Hospital.The third man died in the ICU of the hospital, while the two in the car suffered only minor injuries and they were also admitted in the hospital and later discarged that day itself. A bike rider was also injured and admitted in the ICU. One man that died was a pan wala from punjab.

While talking to my friend, he told me that it was due to the safety features of the car that spared their lives. He was charged with culpable homicide. He has to report to the police station 3 days a week.

I think i am not hurting my friend in any way by posting this thread here as this is for passing a message to my fellow TBHP-ians that SPEED THRILLS, BUT KILLS. In this case killed innocent people because of the adrenaline rush. I think this thread here can shed some light on the consequences of over speeding or driving rashly.

DRIVE SLOW - Save lives Save fuel
Old 2nd April 2007, 23:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

very true. the worst thing i believe one hs to live with is knowing that your actions killed someone else.
Old 3rd April 2007, 00:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

just like in US, the driver should be sued for a few million dollars by each family of the deceased, and set an example for the rest of reckless drivers.
Old 3rd April 2007, 09:02   #52
BHPian

The guy who drove was my friend. He just brought the Verna 1 week before tha accident and have driven only 10 minutes before that.
Old 3rd April 2007, 11:15   #53
Team-BHP Support

Is tht a justification of any sort?
Sorry about what happened, but your friend needs to be held responsible for his actions. Having driven the car for just 10 mins, obviosuly shows he knew nothing about how to handle the vehicle, and yet was determined on taking it to its limits !!
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:10   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatafarose View Post
The guy who drove was my friend. He just brought the Verna 1 week before tha accident and have driven only 10 minutes before that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatafarose View Post
I think i am not hurting my friend in any way by posting this thread here as this is for passing a message to my fellow TBHP-ians that SPEED THRILLS, BUT KILLS. In this case killed innocent people because of the adrenaline rush. I think this thread here can shed some light on the consequences of over speeding or driving rashly.

DRIVE SLOW - Save lives Save fuel
Drive responsibly, drive carefully, understand the limitations of yourself, your car, and watch out for idiots who don't understand the above.

And above all that, please do not push cars in which you have spent only 10 minutes in. That is one reason I am extremely uncomfortable sharing my car with others, especially if they have sat with me in the car before. The first thing people instinctively do is, try to do what I was doing, and that almost always have disastrous consequences. And no, reading about the car's test drive in magazines is not considered experience with the car.

And no kidding when I say this, please come to track days so that you actually have the ability to push your car around a little bit more, in slightly more controlled environments. This way, you would be able to better understand limitations of cars you are driving...
Old 3rd April 2007, 14:17   #55
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
And no kidding when I say this, please come to track days so that you actually have the ability to push your car around a little bit more, in slightly more controlled environments. This way, you would be able to better understand limitations of cars you are driving...
I agree that is good to understand the limitations of your car. But going to the track for that purpose is expensive and takes a heavy toll of your car (tyres, supsension, etc.).

Plus there is a serious philosophical difference between driving on the highway and on a race track. The correct philosophy for normal driving is "when in doubt, slow down". I.e., there is nothing wrong in fast driving, but it is advisable, even imperative, to take your foot off the accelerator pedal whenever you are in doubt; don't take unwarranted risks. But on the track that philosophy may lose precious seconds for you. Imagine you are doing a Pune-Miumbai trip in normal-to-heavy traffic and you have in mind the race-track philosophy-- namely, "I want to get to Mumbai in as little time as possible". That is a recipe for disaster. Those given to speeding on the highway should know exactly when to lift the foot off the pedal.
Old 3rd April 2007, 14:57   #56
BHPian

You are right rks, and my advice was more specifically meant for the folks who actually want to push their cars without first figuring out the limits. Of course, the ideal advice is, never speed, and drive slow. But then, not sure how many kids would actually listen to blanket advice to drive slow...
Old 3rd April 2007, 15:35   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Drive responsibly, drive carefully, understand the limitations of yourself, your car, and watch out for idiots who don't understand the above.

And above all that, please do not push cars in which you have spent only 10 minutes in. That is one reason I am extremely uncomfortable sharing my car with others, especially if they have sat with me in the car before. The first thing people instinctively do is, try to do what I was doing, and that almost always have disastrous consequences. And no, reading about the car's test drive in magazines is not considered experience with the car.

Tadu - thats very well put. I'm not sure anyone else has defined car control so succintly
Old 3rd April 2007, 16:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

All those who blamed the machine should be ashamed of themselves. Your car is only as good as you are. If you are hell bent on having a crash, no brakes can help you there. The kind of driving indulged in by these kids is pure ignorance of a car's abilities & handling. They deserved to die instead of those poor folks who died.

Now, i hope no one asks why those people had shops in the roadside & starts blaming them ?
Old 3rd April 2007, 16:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Now, i hope no one asks why those people had shops in the roadside & starts blaming them ?
Yah, what's wrong with people in this country? Sleeping on the pavement, setting up shops on the pavement.....jeez! No place left for people to drive on except the roads..... .

On a more serious note, hearing it from Spatafarose makes it even more frustrating.......why push the car before you are aware of its limits? Very well said Tadukuttan - what's really scary is that there are so MANY of this variety of inexperienced drivers on the streets today, there are so many near misses that happen every minute, yet no one seems to be any wiser!

Last edited by suman : 3rd April 2007 at 16:48.
Old 4th April 2007, 02:12   #60
BHPian

I had seen that accident spot soon after it took place in tv. The entire wrong is on the part of the driver and there is no contributory negligence as in usual crashes.The fellow lost control and ran over poor unlucky chaps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks