Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2007, 18:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

verna accident in cochin - 3 killed

a white verna vgt 5 days old met with a heavy accident killing 2 panwallas instantly and injuring a fruitstall salesman very seriously at cochin today afternoon.the vehicle was speeding like anything and after a trafic junction somehow jumped the main highway on to a parellelroad took along 3to4 signboards 2 makeshift fruitstalls killed 2 and hit a bike and finally came to a rest hitting a bakery .2 people were arrested on the spot and the passengers were having only minor injuries.
ram
Old 10th March 2007, 19:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

I'd like to see pics of that car. man thats a long list of things it's mowed down before coming to a halt.

that car is dangerous. people are not able to control the speeds it can reach over short distances. The tyres and lack of ABS dont help matters.

Hyundai needs to take note of this and give better rubber and have all VGT's with standard ABS fitment.

There are too many verna VGT accidents happening.
Old 10th March 2007, 19:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

to take down all that he must easily be over 120 kmph..

Godfather
Old 10th March 2007, 19:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

vid6639...dont say the car is dangerous...
If driver is reckless, no matter u bring whatever machine u cannot stop this...Pls dont blame rubbers and ABS etc...those are all precautionary / emergency measures but not to control your recklessness....
if any car comes in production, it is definitely designed accordingly, definitely the rubbers and all suits the car....
Dont blame lack of ABS etc for a car hitting pedestrains and jumping signals...

FYI, you dont require ABS or rubbers if u are driving in city...

I can only think that the Verna VGTs are going in some wrong hand(s)...

Abhi
Old 10th March 2007, 19:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
vid6639...dont say the car is dangerous...
If driver is reckless, no matter u bring whatever machine u cannot stop this...Pls dont blame rubbers and ABS etc...those are all precautionary / emergency measures but not to control your recklessness....
if any car comes in production, it is definitely designed accordingly, definitely the rubbers and all suits the car....
Dont blame lack of ABS etc for a car hitting pedestrains and jumping signals...

FYI, you dont require ABS or rubbers if u are driving in city...

I can only think that the Verna VGTs are going in some wrong hand(s)...
ahem, akroy if you read my post that's exactly what i said people are not able to control the car. And since people cant handle the power the company should take note and provide ABS and better rubber.

I have driven the car a few times and let me tell you the skinny tyres are only for cost cutting nothing else. Forget the braking, the tyres light up on normal acceleration from first and second gear. The braking is scary to say the least as they lock up on a little firm pressure.

As you said if people are reckless even ABS and better tyres wont help but the company should atleast to take the initiative in making the cars safer.

It's clearly a case of not being able to handle the power as I've seen many many Verna VGT's at the service centre banged up.
Old 10th March 2007, 20:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
ahem, akroy if you read my post that's exactly what i said people are not able to control the car. And since people cant handle the power the company should take note and provide ABS and better rubber.
There have been equally powerful cars in the market without ABS and brakes.

Dont blame the company just because some morons cant drive responsibly. Looking at the long list of obstacles that the car mowed down before coming to a rest, I doubt if ANYTHING could've prevented that accident. This is a case of extremely irrresponsible and dangeous driving - why blame ABS and tyres for this?

Stop nitpicking. Especially one maniac driver has accounted for 2 lives.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th March 2007 at 20:29.
Old 10th March 2007, 20:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yup company doesnt make car just for city use. So giving better rubber and ABS will be good.
Old 10th March 2007, 20:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes people drive fast without realising that they are going at high speeds. Some cars are even good about masking speed. In those cases it is futile to blame the drivers for recklesness. However such cars should have the best possible measures like better tyres and ABS to bring things under control. In case of VGT its easy to get it going fast without even realising that it is doing so. Another car with similar problem is the City VTEC.

It is a common misconception that ABS is only needed on the highway. In our cities the road surfaces are far from the specifications, moreover they remain strewn with sand, pebbles, water, oil and what not. Sometimes even braking from speeds as low as 40 could create a lock-up situation and a vehicle in that situation (even at 40 ) is pretty devastating for itself as well as its surroundings.

I myself had a situation today with my newly painted Fiat, I was going 40 on a road which had visibly no problems, but a 800 suddenly turned up at a high speed from an hidden side-road (I had no way to know as I had never been to this place). I was having to brake hard but I noticed exactly at this intersection there was spill-over sand grains from this side road and my wheels locked up. I modulated the brakes and somehow managed to stop inches from the 800, which anyway sped away. However, ABS would not have created such a situation in the first place and moreover since I quite know how to modulate the brake pressure in slippery situations, it helped. But any average person would have panicked in such a situation and a collision with the 800 or the stuff beside the road would be in-evitable. So yes, we need ABS more than what is perceived.

However, this case seems to be pure recklessness.

Last edited by 1100D : 10th March 2007 at 20:45.
Old 10th March 2007, 21:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
that car is dangerous. people are not able to control the speeds it can reach over short distances.
What would the above breed of people do in a Porsche or a Ferrari ? This breed of people are better off our roads, and not the cars. Rash and reckless driving is not to be blamed on a car, a good driver should also know his/her limits and the limits of his/her vehicle.

Secondly, Verna is available with ABS, it's an optional upgrade at extra cost whilst ordering the car. if I'm not mistaken, Hyundai even has the option of customers ordering rear disk brakes on the Verna.
Old 10th March 2007, 21:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
There have been equally powerful cars in the market without ABS and brakes.

Dont blame the company just because some morons cant drive responsibly. Looking at the long list of obstacles that the car mowed down before coming to a rest, I doubt if ANYTHING could've prevented that accident. This is a case of extremely irrresponsible and dangeous driving - why blame ABS and tyres for this?

Stop nitpicking. Especially one maniac driver has accounted for 2 lives.
Where am I blaming the company??? Can someone pls. point out where I said the company is fault.

I keep mentioning that people cant control the car. It's obviously the drivers fault that he has mowed down so many obstacles.

If you go to any hyundai service centre, they will tell you they have many accident vernas. Why do they happen? The car is quick and drivers inexperienced as a result they lose control and bang the car. Since it's not possible to educate the moronic drivers out there on how to drive responsibly I just said hyundai can atleast have ABS and better tyres to minimise the risk.

Obviously for big accidents this will not help but atleast it may reduce chances of other accidents.

The first time I drove this car I locked up heavily on the brakes. On my lancer with 195 tyres at the same speed on the same road this has never happened on hard normal braking but on the verna it did.
Old 10th March 2007, 22:41   #11
BHPian

The long list of things it moved down gives a impression that the breaks were hardly used. Why blame lack of ABS to it? I don’t want to debate usefulness of ABS etc. in this thread. But I don’t think it would have resulted in less damage than the actual. Especially when it seems that the breaks were not even applied. YES verna has handling issues at high speeds but when we get use to it the confidence builds up and we find its not that bad.
EDIT:- How do we know if the White VGT that Ram is talking about was missing ABS? Till now he has not mentioned if it was with or without ABS

Last edited by rohitbagai : 10th March 2007 at 22:45.
Old 10th March 2007, 23:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
The long list of things it moved down gives a impression that the breaks were hardly used. Why blame lack of ABS to it? I don’t want to debate usefulness of ABS etc. in this thread. But I don’t think it would have resulted in less damage than the actual. Especially when it seems that the breaks were not even applied. YES verna has handling issues at high speeds but when we get use to it the confidence builds up and we find its not that bad.
EDIT:- How do we know if the White VGT that Ram is talking about was missing ABS? Till now he has not mentioned if it was with or without ABS
I have driven Hyundai Verna hardly and its a scary experience coz the bl**dy car can go from zero to hero like there is no tomorrow . And for an average driver the acceleration can be outright scary.
  • I dont blame the ABS but the car feels totally lacking control at high speeds.
  • They should have brought the non VGT trim at a lower price tag .
  • Bring VGT later on like a special Edition sports(read RS) version having all goodies like (front+ back)bigger discs + ABS + lower ground clearence + Stiffer suspension + Skirts + Alloys + Wider Tyres say at a premium of 1 lac.
Old 10th March 2007, 23:10   #13
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
It's obviously the drivers fault that he has mowed down so many obstacles.
It is certainly the driver's fault if he was overspeeding. But you cannot automatically assume that he was the only one to blame. You know what happens on our roads. Maybe some idiot decided to take a U-turn, maybe some two-wheeler cut into his lane, or some pedestrian jay-walked on to the highway, etc. Another possibility should not be ruled out -- the car may have had some failure, like a tyre burst, making it uncontrollable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai
The long list of things it moved down gives a impression that the breaks were hardly used.
Possibly the driver did a panic swerve off the highway when he encountered some obstacle. Often the wrong thing to do. One should always use the braking option first and swerve as a last resort only if some huge disaster, like a head-on collision, is imminent. But if the driver was at unmanageable speeds, nothing would have helped.
Old 10th March 2007, 23:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I dont blame the ABS but the car feels totally lacking control at high speeds.

Nope - this car doesnt feel like its 'totally lacking control' at high speeds. This is a very wrong statement - the car has slightly softer suspension than other cars, yes. Totally lacking in control - no way.

There have been other 'performance cars' in the past that felt totally disconnected from the road past 140 kmph, but those were considered 'performance quirks' and adding to the 'fun factor'.

Do not generalise from the particular. Be objective.

The fact that one idiot lost control over his car and mowed down a few shops does not make a car 'dangerous' - going by that logic BMWs and Land Cruisers should've been banned here long back after our drunken VIPs mowed down homeless people who were sleeping.

Lets be fair - there are very few other cars that can offer a combination of excellent performance, a comfortable ride, diesel economy and excellent after sales service as this one. And going by actual owner feedback, it offers quite a bit of space for its segment, too. What we're seeing here is a tendency to pick on one perceived 'weakness' (which it really isnt - it was designed to give a comfortable ride, not to be a jarring road-hugger) and exaggerate it out of proportion.

There have been other well-documented accidents on other TBHP threads, including that of the Ikon that was sliced into two on Marine Drive (?) and the Choksis' yellow Skoda. We havent had such discussions in those threads, which is as it should be.

Let us also not forget the totalled Lancer of one of our younger colleagues - that vehicle was shod with some of the fanciest tyres (205/50/R15 Yokos) and alloys and wasnt anywhere as powerful as the Verna was. Did it help ? NO.

Reserve your brickbats for the driver, please. We can continue slamming Hyundai elsewhere - not on a thread discussing an accident where some lives have been lost.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th March 2007 at 23:33.
Old 11th March 2007, 00:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Nope - this car doesnt feel like its 'totally lacking control' at high speeds. This is a very wrong statement - the car has slightly softer suspension than other cars, yes. Totally lacking in control - no way.
I totally agree with you. I have a Verna diesel and today I drove it to bangalore from thrissur. Usually i keep speeds of around 80-100 in good highway stretches. But just wanted to see how the car behaves at high speeds and so in the L&T highway at Coimbatore I took speeds upto 145-150 kmph (the car has capacity to go beyond that, but I didnt want to in our highways) and the car actually felt stable. Had to make a little bit harsh braking also, as suddenly a lorry cut from one of the parking lanes on the left. As I had noticed the lorry driver peeping out of his right side window, I guessed he would be taking a right turn anytime and slowed down immediately. There was no swaying and the car held its line very well (mind you, it was not a very harsh braking).

Quote:
The fact that one idiot lost control over his car and mowed down a few shops does not make a car 'dangerous' - going by that logic BMWs and Land Cruisers should've been banned here long back after our drunken VIPs mowed down homeless people who were sleeping.
It doesnt depend on which car you are driving, but who is driving the car. The drivers must be sensible and mature enough to handle the machine, and they should have common sense and good judgement capabilities. Driving a car is not just changing the gear and pressing accelerator. If you press the pedal, any car will touch 100 anyday, but be judicious enough to see whether it is needed. Even good drivers meet with accidents, but at least being careful will minimize the impact on the people involved.

Quote:
Lets be fair - there are very few other cars that can offer a combination of excellent performance, a comfortable ride, diesel economy and excellent after sales service as this one. And going by actual owner feedback, it offers quite a bit of space for its segment, too. What we're seeing here is a tendency to pick on one perceived 'weakness' (which it really isnt - it was designed to give a comfortable ride, not to be a jarring road-hugger) and exaggerate it out of proportion.
Again, you are right. People know that it is a very powerful car and some of them tend to get carried away with it. Accidents like this may be a result of such things (though the actual reason is not yet known)

Quote:
There have been other well-documented accidents on other TBHP threads, including that of the Ikon that was sliced into two on Marine Drive (?) and the Choksis' yellow Skoda. We havent had such discussions in those threads, which is as it should be.
There were no skoda bashing or ford bashing because the cars involved were not from "hyundai" . And nobody cared whether those cars had ABS. Even tyres as wide as that of a tractor wont save people who drive recklessly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks