Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2020, 10:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which fitness tracker & app do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
Apple watch for me. As people pointed out, it is all I ever needed without feeling the need to invest in an app.
Probably with every new series, features may be added as Standard/inbuilt. Stuck with the series-1, hence have to buy certain apps. Recently purchased Auto sleep app from Tantsissa Holdings after using their Heart app which is also very good. These apps cost Rs.250/- separately. Amazed at the offerings of such apps for the price it is charged (but the initial investment is high with Apple Watches)
Attached Thumbnails
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-sleep-3.jpeg  

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-sleep-pattern-2.jpeg  

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-sleep-pattern1.jpeg  

Old 18th May 2020, 08:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am using my Samsung Galaxy Watch and Samsung health to track my activities. I also send the Samsung health data over to Google fit. I have a Mi Smart scale that I use to track weight.

The weight and Fat % is manually entered to Samsung health and synced with Fit as well. I had a subscription on Endomondo, but I seldom use it. All tracking is done via Samsung health on my smart watch.

The Samsung Galaxy Watch itself is a decent smart watch but I feel falls a bit short when it comes to a good activity tracker.

Although it has many workout modes, automatic workout detection, heart rate monitor etc., for a dedicated fitness tracker I think the heart rate sensor is all over the place.

Specially if you want to track it for Heart rate based training. Very often under high intensity work outs, you realise the heart rate has vanished. It is however quite fine during steady state activities and does a good job of tracking the resting rates.

The other short coming I would say is the inability to have custom Interval training schedules and related coaching in the samsung health app on the watch itself. You could work around that by having apps like Endomondo etc. but I have not yet found that easy to deal with this without carrying your phone. Which in my opinion defeats the purpose of having a fitness tracker. I would have wanted the ability to plan for custom interval schedules via the watch itself. I have searched a bit on the forums, but it seems this is a known grievance with watch along with the earlier mentioned erratic heart rate sensor.
Old 18th May 2020, 10:13   #33
BHPian

I have used the Fitbit app with a Fitbit Blaze from 2016 to early 2019. Used the Apple watch through 2019 and now back to the Fitbit app with a Charge 3. I also have them push run/walk data to Strava. For fitness-related only - I feel the Fibit works very well. For everything else and as an overall smartwatch the Apple Watch is the best in my opinion.
Old 10th June 2021, 16:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up a nifty Smart Watch and since I really liked the product , am sharing some details here.
The Smart Watch I got is the Realme Watch S Pro - I got it for 7999 as Realme had a scheme going to get 2K discount over the normal price of 9999 for the watch.
It is a pretty nice looking watch with a Stainless steel case and an Amoled screen. I liked that it is very close to analog watches in design and even has some very nice Analog simulated screens (there are almost 100 watch faces to choose from).
Here are some pics of the watch:
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-analog.jpg

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-digiclock.jpg

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-apps1.jpg

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-apps2.jpg

It even has Automatic Brightness control! and the battery is claimed to last for 14 days - In my usage it will last around 10 days, which is still good.
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-brightness.jpg

It also has a Built in Compass (good for wanderers like us!)
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-compass.jpg

This is what the step counter looks like.
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-counter.jpg

This is the Heart Rate Monitoring screen and also SPO2 Monitoring (and it works properly and is accurate)

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-hr.jpg

This is the Music control screen.
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-music.jpg

Also, when I realized I had saved 2000 because of the discount, I ended up spending on another Smart gadget (also from Realme) - their Smart Scale, which is a Bio_Impedance Analyser scale which gives a full analysis of your body for fitness purposes and regular tracking. The output is gives is also as shown. This costed only 1999 Rupees.

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-smart-bia-scale.jpg

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-scale-output.jpg

(PS: I am not associated with Realme in any way and am not promoting their products - I am just sharing my own initial experience for these products. Realme is a BBK group company - same as Oneplus, Oppo, Vivo)

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th June 2021 at 16:53.
Behemoth is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 06:33   #35
Team-BHP Support

Which ever App you all pick, the important aspect to note is they should be able to withstand a change of tracker.

If you change your watch in 2-3 years (lets say); would you be willing to let go all this info you gathered and move to a new ecosystem ? From that point of view please choose your App (and your gadget wisely).

And of course I assume you all are very serious about tracking your statistics for long term and its not a passing fad; something which happened because the watch was nice! (No intentions of passing a rude comment.)

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2021 at 06:41.
Old 11th June 2021, 09:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Which ever App you all pick, the important aspect to note is they should be able to withstand a change of tracker.

If you change your watch in 2-3 years (lets say); would you be willing to let go all this info you gathered and move to a new ecosystem ? From that point of view please choose your App (and your gadget wisely).

And of course I assume you all are very serious about tracking your statistics for long term and its not a passing fad; something which happened because the watch was nice! (No intentions of passing a rude comment.)
Well I have been using Fitness trackers for more than 6 years now! And unfortunately most of the ecosystems are pretty closed and incompatible with each other.
I started with Samsung Gear Fit 1 when I also had a Samsung Phone, then moved onto Gear Fit 2 even with my OnePlus phone. The Samsung gear fit series was pretty nice and small and served my purpose well for 4 years. Then my wife got a Fitbit Versa for me from US , which lasted exactly 1 year and then conked off permanently. It was honestly a half baked device and too expensive for what it offered. Then came my Xiaomi Smart Band 5 (which is maybe 6 months old now) and still works great as a fitness tracker. But seeing this watch I got tempted to upgrade as it is a more functional and usable watch rather than a small tracker (my eyes are also getting weaker so reading very small numbers on a small fitness tracker is difficult.) To me continuity of data is not as relevant and I only need recent data for max 3 months. Anything beyond that is anyway not required for me.
Also fitness trackers are really just one part of the overall story. Fitness has to be a regime and habit and no fitness tracker can change that, it is only your own willpower and desire to stay fit which can drive you. These devices are just to help you measure your progress on the journey. Also none of these devices are medical grade so their accuracy should be taken only as an indicator.
Have tried many devices over the past few years I realised that most of these devices will not last over 2 years (some even less than 1 year like the Fitbit) and you will have to end up changing them anyway and how much money you are willing to spend every time is up to you. I am an Android ecosystem user and probably Apple users may have a different point of view.
Also I am quite a watch guy (mostly analog) and have a collection of over 12 watches, so my preference is more on the analog style watch body design.

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th June 2021 at 09:09.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 09:14   #37
Team-BHP Support

I dont use any fitness bands / trackers for round the clock activity / any other similar measurement. My measure of fitness is generally with a basic measuring tape that tells me if I’m dropping size etc. It’s also generally apparent with how I feel while I’m training. Am I unfit or fit at a soft touch level. Finally the weighing scale is another indicator although at times the scale cannot tell the absolute truth. I prefer to trust the measure tape.

But my workouts themselves are another story. I actively measure and monitor the data this throws up.

For this, I currently use a Garmin Forerunner 945 which is a multi sport watch - superb for accurate measurement of various sports including indoor as well as outdoor GPS based run, outdoor bike, pool swim, open water swim, triathlon mode with transition mode on the fly and with a wrist based HR sensor. The only other hardware I use above this is Stryd footpod for running “power” metrics, a chest strap based HR monitor (Garmin HR Pro) while on indoor bike (throws data in ANT and Bluetooth both) and the indoor smart trainer for the bike (a Wahoo kickr snap).

I do use a lot of apps to measure or log this data, some of which have paid usage or modes.

HRV4Training: To measure HRV (heart rate variability) every morning. It’s a soft guidance for training intensity for the day. I find this enough as I don’t want to invest in or buy a Whoop band or similar which will be on my wrist all day long.

Zwift: Indoor cycling app (paid)

Training Peaks: Stores and analyses my triathlon training and throws multitude of data including fitness profession, fatigue measures etc. on a periodised basis.

Strava: This is just the app I’m used to. I dont use Garmin app much - port it to Strava and see it there. It’s the social media of my workouts. Giving and receiving Kudos etc. I sight my activity level data on Strava. For Periodic progression, is use TP.

Stryd App: To view my stryd power data in more detail including periodised information like Critical Power progression and Race Suggestions for Target Power etc.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 12:05   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Also fitness trackers are really just one part of the overall story. Fitness has to be a regime and habit and no fitness tracker can change that, it is only your own willpower and desire to stay fit which can drive you. These devices are just to help you measure your progress on the journey. Also none of these devices are medical grade so their accuracy should be taken only as an indicator.
Most trackers will last 3-4 years and not more if you use heavy. I have been through a couple of them

Quote:
I am an Android ecosystem user and probably Apple users may have a different point of view.
Also I am quite a watch guy (mostly analog) and have a collection of over 12 watches, so my preference is more on the analog style watch body design.
Even I am a watch person and have some. But still ended more with fitness trackers. And like you said I too dont llke the gadget look of a watch and hence prefer a classic watch styled tracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
For this, I currently use a Garmin Forerunner 945 which is a multi sport watch - superb for accurate measurement of various sports including indoor as well as outdoor GPS based run, outdoor bike, pool swim, open water swim, triathlon mode with transition mode on the fly and with a wrist based HR sensor. The only other hardware I use above this is Stryd footpod for running “power” metrics, a chest strap based HR monitor (Garmin HR Pro) while on indoor bike (throws data in ANT and Bluetooth both) and the indoor smart trainer for the bike (a Wahoo kickr snap).
Same here. Moved on to 945 from a VA3. Amazing watch indeed. Even during lockdown, I have it on my wrist pretty much all the time even when at home. Tracks, all fitness activities the best possible way and also is a good sleep tracker. Since am not that heavy into endurance running and other activities I dont use the chest based HR monitor. Its all via the watch.

As regards to apps; I am contended with what Garmin provides via Garmin connect. Data organisation and continuity is neat whether one is on Android or on IOS. I have been at it for many years now.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 12:13   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

True Garmin and Suunto are among the best fitness trackers/ Smart watches I know in the mid range segment. They are really good in functionality as well as accuracy. Hope to own one maybe next time !
I like these ones from Suunto a lot:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07QY33GNM/...WB25YTZW8H5ZP9
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B083MMLNSC/...EGT1YNNJ6GX4W4
Probably will take the plunge next time.

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th June 2021 at 12:17.
Old 4th March 2023, 11:12   #40
BHPian

Note to Mods: I am aware this thread is about Fitness apps and trackers. Bit there's no weighing scale related thread. So posted here. Please move to appropriate thread if required.

Need recommendation for a simple weighing scale.
Currently I use an old digital scale which I bought from Argos UK 12 years ago and its showing pretty random results (2-3 kgs variation from actuals) and there's no calibration mechanism available.

I don't need any connected features. But just accurate weight measurements. Is Mi Smart weighing scale the only one in the market? How about analogue scales of the yore?

Last edited by dmplog : 4th March 2023 at 11:17. Reason: Added more details and note to mods
Old 4th March 2023, 11:42   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Note to Mods: I am aware this thread is about Fitness apps and trackers. Bit there's no weighing scale related thread. So posted here. Please move to appropriate thread if required.

Need recommendation for a simple weighing scale.
Currently I use an old digital scale which I bought from Argos UK 12 years ago and its showing pretty random results (2-3 kgs variation from actuals) and there's no calibration mechanism available.

I don't need any connected features. But just accurate weight measurements. Is Mi Smart weighing scale the only one in the market? How about analogue scales of the yore?
Hi. I am using Omron HBF-14 which I have found to be very accurate in terms of weighing. It is a body composition monitor as well, but cannot comment on accuracy of all parameters reported but sure the results are consistent.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks