Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2007, 22:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
2. In the city the girl should not have needed two hours for her Santro to catch up with an Indica.
Maybe she was driving backwards . Checking out how much time it takes to catch an Indica driving in reverse gear
Old 14th March 2007, 22:10   #17
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
No. The problem was that it was not running on Alloy Wheels. Had it been, it would have just taken 15 mins to catch the culprit.
I read somewhere by RKS sir that Alloys increase pick up and acceleration.
Sure does, if chosen correctly. In my case I have upgraded to 5" alloys on stock tyres; the wider contact patch as compared to the stock 4" wheels gives better acceleration to the extent that I can shift gears at lower speeds than before. It is a common misconception here that you need upsized tyres for better grip -- a wider wheel on stock tyres in my opinion will do the job with much better handling; the ride will not be as comfortable as with the upsized tyres, but then there is no free lunch, as the saying goes.
Old 14th March 2007, 22:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No. The problem was that it was not running on Alloy Wheels. Had it been, it would have just taken 15 mins to catch the culprit.

dceite - are you by chance Jay Leno ?!
Old 14th March 2007, 22:24   #19
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Maybe she was driving backwards . Checking out how much time it takes to catch an Indica driving in reverse gear
Maybe not, but she sure was talking to her friends on the phone while giving chase. In the first place, it is always dangerous to give chase in a crowded city -- that is the job of trained police drivers and even they mess up at times. But to talk to her friends while chasing seems a daft thing to do. What is worse is that these guys actually advised her to continue the chase. Anyway, all is well that ends well. But it certainly is not the most advisable course of action and one that I would not have followed if I were in her place.
Old 14th March 2007, 22:28   #20
BANNED

Hats off to the girl's guts and her driving skills
Old 14th March 2007, 22:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

I agree with RKS sir here. Giving a chase in the city means endangering not only herself, but other road users as well. Further, it was pure luck that passers by intervened, alone the girl wouldnt stand a chance against an aggressive male.
She should have noted down the Indica's registration number, and reported to the nearest police station about the threat/alleged verbal abuse by the driver. Complaints by females are taken pretty seriously.
On the other hand, we are all assuming that the GUY is at fault here (doesnt matter, everyone on the street would assume the same). What if the guy was entirely innocent and it was all the girl's fault?
Old 14th March 2007, 22:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

impressed; but at 11:30pm? emm.
Old 14th March 2007, 22:54   #23
BHPian

While I would like to say kudos, I do have to agree with the first point made by rks. I do not have newspaper archive links to back me up, but if memory serves me right there have been enuf instances where people have been stabbed or even shot in such road rage incidents.

Sidhu too was facing a charge of murdering someone in a fit of road rage.

And sometime back there was a post by a fellow member on how a bunch of cab guys ganged up against him.

I am not saying "do nothing". Last time when a biker smashed into my rear bumper coz he didnt know where his brakes were, i managed to get all the money he was carrying (800 bucks).

But it was broad daylight. I would not have stopped at 11.30 at night. Becoz that is also a ploy tht has been used in bangalore by thiefs- one will hit ur car with his bike, u will stop to fight- and presto- ur surrounded.

Sure- teach these *#*@@** a lesson, but be prepared to learn some in return as well.
Old 14th March 2007, 22:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
impressed; but at 11:30pm? emm.
Must've been the Santro, JK. I know you stay out pretty late too, with your Santro.
Old 14th March 2007, 23:20   #25
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
As for the girl ... that was a lesson well taught except that in that chase she shud have gotten her friends as well . !! But all in all .. a good one !! Kudos to her ....
Consider this simple scenario -- the girl catches up, and tries to cut the guy off; he rams her and then complains to police that she cut into his path. The accident investigation will show that she was at fault. Even her explanation that she was giving chase for a legitimate reason will not cut any ice -- she had no business to be doing that. As I pointed out, there are so many other ways in which this could have turned sour for the girl and possibly others; I don't want to belabour this point anymore.
Old 14th March 2007, 23:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thats quite an achievement by the lady....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Besides the santro probably didn't have the correct tyre pressure of 35psi to aid in the high speed handling during the chase. this could have resulted in lower speeds.

no offence meant rks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
My, my rks. Amidst all these you still find your Santro performance story!!
Old 15th March 2007, 00:29   #27
BHPian

Even though the gal has shown commendable grit and the guy deserves to be punished, she could have endangered her life and quite a few others on the road.

All excitement in the media apart, what is the real story ? When the story reaches media there are lot of distorted facts and added masala.

coming to Santro chasing Indica part, let us not discount the capabilities of the drivers involved.

Last edited by sreenivass : 15th March 2007 at 00:30.
Old 15th March 2007, 01:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
My, my rks. Amidst all these you still find your Santro performance story!!

That is exactly what i was feeling

Last edited by prince85 : 15th March 2007 at 01:13.
Old 15th March 2007, 01:21   #29
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
All excitement in the media apart, what is the real story ? When the story reaches media there are lot of distorted facts and added masala.
You are dead right. Two hour chase in a city? That is an awfully long time, during which I normally cover almost the entire Mumbai-Pune route. Let us see, even if the average chase speed was 40 kmph, they would have covered 80 kms! Looks like an exaggeration all right.

Secondly, if you read the link, it says that the guy managed to find time to drop off his lady companion at her hostel while the chase was on! How the hell did he manage that? Did he call "time out" so that the chase was suspended? And if he had enough time to do that, he could have got down himself and disappeared along with his lady companion into the hostel.

Last edited by rks : 15th March 2007 at 01:41.
Old 15th March 2007, 05:16   #30
BHPian

It was brave of this gurl to chase at that hour. However, its never advisable. This guy seemed to be crazy, abusing and fleeing. Any decent person would apologize and agree to pay the damage.

The gurl should had made noise at the first instance upon receiving abuses from this guy, gathered the crowd and called the police to help.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks