Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2020, 12:01   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATSTN
Posts: 5,197
Thanked: 4,415 Times
Default Re: Living in an Apartment vs Individual House

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Apparently I got a promising option to buy a Builders floor flat (Built in 40*60, total 4 flats)
I'm assuming this is duplex style living.

Anyway from our bad to best experience of villa, flat & individual house, hands down any day, individual house is THE BEST. You buy a house & you're your own boss, no pooling money, no sharing the space, no seeking permission, no sharing resources, no ratification, no meeting, no voting, no common problem.

Yes, there's going to be problems even with individual house, older the house, higher the maintenance cost. Water pump broke, electricity leakage, fix water heater, fix a fan, clean AC...search for a plumber electrician in middle of night or become a electrician cum plumber cum mason cum carpenter cum (anyway we're all semi-mechanics) your main profession, basically DIY

But whatever is the problem, it's yours, you need to fix, no need to ask anyone, no need committee's approval, no need to work on restricted hours. Want to paint? Choose your own timing, choose your own method; want to change tiles, no complaints from neighbor whatsoever. If it's a flat, you had it & after that, you become a bad guy in your neighbors book for working on something inside your house.

It's like the advice on buying the car given in this forum; if your budget is X Lakh, extend it more & buy that X+Y Lakh car that doesn't get outdated in next 4-5 years. Same formula goes here as well, stick with individual house that costs more.
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 13:15   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Living in an Apartment vs Individual House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You can have some problems with shared resources if any, like a water connection or even sewage in case anything goes bad. I will prefer an individual smaller home or a flat.
Thank you Turbanator for inputs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
You get to observe human pettiness and stupidity at its absolute worst. And the one who caves in is the one who is the most decent. Just my observations. Hope this helps.
Thank you V.Narayan for sharing the live experience, very helpful. Yes with 4 different families and quite a spacious flat would definitely encounter more problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What is that? Some owner of independent house trying to sell his first floor? If yes, don't go anywhere near it.
Yes, this is builder own land, he built 4 flats, topmost is duplex where he stays, rest three he will sell. I believe its individual registration per flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
It's like the advice on buying the car given in this forum; if your budget is X Lakh, extend it more & buy that X+Y Lakh car that doesn't get outdated in next 4-5 years. Same formula goes here as well, stick with individual house that costs more.
Thank you aargee!
Well said, this makes me think ahead stay away.

Purchasing now as an investment angle and then try to find a new buyer down the line a risky move too.

I will continue to stay in rented and eye for a reputed flat or a good buy of a individual house, towards south of Bangalore.

It's great to see everyonecs response to my query and valuable inputs. Absolute power of this beloved forum!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st October 2020 at 09:44. Reason: Typos
lokii_83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 11:04   #78
KPR
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: River Island TN
Posts: 444
Thanked: 1,087 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Living in an Apartment vs Individual House

I'm currently in the same dilemma. After searching for plot, old individual houses zeroed on two locations for constructing my dream individual villa / altering old house. Then upon discussion at home our decision went like this:

Owning a home gives an immense satisfaction but considering safety we have to do away with our dream of villa or individual house. Burglary is common in our area. We tend to go on long tours. If we have to keep our house shut for say 10 nights then it is impossible to imagine an individual house. We also do short two three days trips every month. Even for that we need to find a caretaker for nights in case of an individual house.
OTOH we already live in a flat wherein we had gone on many long vacations locking our home with no such incidents or worries. As safety is paramount I've to settle down with a flat in prime road location than an individual house. I know I'm losing out on my garage. But our life is beyond cars too.

Last edited by KPR : 30th September 2020 at 11:09.
KPR is offline  
Old 30th September 2020, 11:14   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 1,814 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Living in an Apartment vs Individual House

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I'm currently in the same dilemma. After searching for plot, old individual houses zeroed on two locations for constructing my dream individual villa / altering old house. Then upon discussion at home our decision went like this:

Owning a home gives an immense satisfaction but considering safety we have to do away with our dream of villa or individual house. Burglary is common in our area. We tend to go on long tours. If we have to keep our house shut for say 10 nights then it is impossible to imagine an individual house. We also do short two three days trips every month. Even for that we need to find a caretaker for nights in case of an individual house.
OTOH we already live in a flat wherein we had gone on many long vacations locking our home with no such incidents or worries. As safety is paramount I've to settle down with a flat in prime road location than an individual house. I know I'm losing out on my garage. But our life is beyond cars too.
If you are middle aged please reconsider the decision. Flats even from good builders are not built to last. You will see huge number of issues and depreciation in the value.

Villa in a gated community can be as safe as a flat. You can use technology to increase your safety and surveillance. If you spend upward of 1 Cr on a flat I feel you will repent your decision down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post

Yes, this is builder own land, he built 4 flats, topmost is duplex where he stays, rest three he will sell. I believe its individual registration per flat.
I will run away from this option with dear life, particularly if the plot owner is staying there. This option have the worst of both worlds.

Last edited by poloman : 30th September 2020 at 11:21.
poloman is offline  
Old 30th September 2020, 11:20   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 393
Thanked: 766 Times
Default Re: Living in an Apartment vs Individual House

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
. I know I'm losing out on my garage. But our life is beyond cars too.
You can easily find apartments with 2 car parking slots. Most of large complexes have the option to buy 2 car parks. The smaller 10/20 units complexes don't have that option.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st October 2020 at 09:41. Reason: Typo
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks