Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 09:16   #91
sgm
BHPian

Re: The Property / Real Estate Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
This is a reasonable price to pay to live in a "community" that offers security, lung space, like minded neighbours, lot of friends for kids, civic amenities and most importantly some sense of rule of the law.
I agree on this point. Kids will definitely love and enjoy an apartment or gated community for its amenities and "community" feel rather than an independent house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
What I am worried about is the hassle in construction, right from plan approval till interior work. (Even after assuming I somehow find a honest contractor). I know this is a one time activity. But a lot of people scaring me saying this is not my cup of tea. (for lazy people like me). Has anyone had any experience constructing the house?. Is it really as difficult as its made out to be?. What would you choose between a demolishable house and a ready to move in apartment?
The biggest advantage is that you can construct the house according to your need. Expect both delays and budget overruns but it is worth it if you plan to stay for a long time. Yes, the whole process is very hectic and it will take around two years from planning to completion but there is a sense of satisfaction at the end of it.
When I take my kids to meet their friends staying in apartments or gated communities, I realize what they are missing out.
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 09:27   #92
BHPian

I have lived in rented apartments in Bangalore and moved into my own house about 7 years back.

For me , the cons of the apartment are

1. No freedom to design the living spaces. Mostly there is no room to negotiate with the builder.

2. Petty politics from neighbours ( if you are unlucky enough ). I used to endure this , fights over parking spots, leakages from bathrooms on higher floors etc.

3. It’s a dead investment. It’s very unlikely that you will get your money out unless you buy from reputed builders like Sobha, Brigade , Prestige etc. however these big builder have started charging insanely high prices that is not linked to construction costs. They keep acquiring large amounts of land banks by using these proceeds.

4. 80% of the money paid to the builder is around basic structure completion. I see a lot of apartments are very slow to progress beyond the structure as builder has got most of his money already. May not be a problem for a big builder , but for small to medium size builders it’s buyer beware.

The advantage of an apartment is obviously less hassle and a network for children.

The advantages of a house :

1. It’s more on your control, the design , the progress, quality of materials used etc.

2. Will appreciate over time. However this is still a depreciating asset with abysmal RoI if rented out. Just better than your average apartment.

3. Scope for future expansion. You can take the necessary permissions to add a room if your needs demand.

The disadvantages are obviously more time and effort investment and higher upfront costs. But In my opinion completely worth it if you can afford time , effort and money

Last edited by charanreddy : 25th August 2022 at 09:28. Reason: Typo
charanreddy is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 09:30   #93
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma recently. Seeing how apartment buildings look and get maintained after they reach 10years of age(lived in many such apartments), I decided to go for a plot+construction.

The total estimate for plot + construction has been the same I would pay for a 3BHK(16xx sqft) apartment which will be ready for possession in 2026(that adds 10-12Lakhs of rental cost until then).

Looking at the positives of having own house(with way bigger built up area than an apartment), I have booked a 30*50 plot which is ongoing legal verification and plan to construct soon after khata gets transferred post registration.

Building a house is not that difficult in today's world where many reputed construction contractors provide turnkey solutions. It involves some extra attention, but at the end, it is totally worth it.

I would suggest you to go ahead with the house.
amods is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 10:18   #94
BHPian

Re: Living in an Apartment vs Individual House

Apartments any day for me. The point is to choose well if you can. I have never lived in an independent house and cannot start now. I once ran my cloud kitchen from a semi residential location and it was an absolute racket. The constant noise of traffic, movement of people, power supply failures and water issues in Bangalore is just too much hassle for me. The garbage collectors, local BESCOM technicians all want their palms to be greased from time to time and I hate it.

I like the fact that there are certain rules around apartment living because self regulation is an alien concept to us. Then there are the common areas, facilities and security. I like the fact that I can just shut the main door and be done with it.

One needs to compare houses and apartment within the same budget. Comparing the luxury of a 2 Cr independent house with a cramped 50 lakh apartment does not make sense.

Privacy aspect in independent houses is not guaranteed. You will likely have rooms on the ground floor and people walking around will peep in from time to time. Neighbours windows will be adjacent to yours and they will peep in too or hear the fights in your house, unless of course you don't have any windows, which is not a great thing to do.

Unless you are in a hurry, take your time to identify a good apartment. One where the view is unlikely to get blocked, away from the din of traffic and fair amount of common area.
Malyaj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 10:50   #95
BHPian

I'm not from Bangalore, but rather from Chennai, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. Why not an apartment that isn't in a big society, but rather an apartment in a nice residential area, but only has 8-20 flats in the building? If you have the budget for an individual house, I suspect you have the budget for a spacious apartment that perhaps spans the entire floor. I know of luxury apartments in Chennai where there is only one flat per floor, 4 in total, being a stilt+4 construction. This way, you have the space and relative privacy one might associate with individual houses, you own a parcel of the land it is built on because of UDS, and maintenance is shared with the other owners as well. There's a small sense on community without it intruding your personal space as well.
sunnysideup_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 10:55   #96
BHPian

I see people in Bangalore buying a 30x40 or 40x60 sqft sites and building houses filling the plot. I fail to see the point in doing so. If your house is not going to have a proper yard or garden, and if stepping out of your house is as good as stepping into the street, then what is the point in having a house that stands on the ground? Get an apartment instead.
dragonfire is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:11   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, In a big dilemma, house or apartment?.
I have always lived in an Independent House except for the 2 years when my house was getting constructed. So I will always suggest house over apartment.

In the 2 years I lived in apartment, I realized why people like apartment and also realized the drawbacks. But I could never get over my love for independent house. Having said that, I am currently in the process of investing in an apartment for my retirement. I would like to live in an apartment post retirement for the convenience it provides. Till then Independent house it is for me.

Though I had experience/knowledge in house construction, had friends who had experience/knowledge, very dependable engineer and a Mestri (masonry worker), even then the delay, cost escalation, running around was inevitable.

I had bought a plot in 2004 and constructed the house during 2011/12. I designed the house myself (except for structural drawing) and hunted for each and every construction material. Though it was painful, the joy of seeing your dream house come through is worth the every paisa. Go for the house only if you have time to dedicate for the next 2 years and have a very dependable contractor/engineer to build. If not the chances of getting cheated out of money or with cheap material is very high.

All the Best

Regards
chandrda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:12   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I see people in Bangalore buying a 30x40 or 40x60 sqft sites and building houses filling the plot. I fail to see the point in doing so.
My area has gone one better. To take advantage of the area's (relative) proximity to the IT parks, a lot of our neighbors have added 2-3 floors to their existing houses. So you now have 5-6 units in 30x40 plots that were meant for 1-2 floors and one family. You can imagine the demands on groundwater levels, BWSSB water supply, and of course parking. Since no one plans for parking, people like us who actually planned for parking inside the house, now have someone else's car parked outside our house ("oh you are not using the space anyway!")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
Comparing the luxury of a 2 Cr independent house with a cramped 50 lakh apartment does not make sense.
I've been wondering about this too, are rates comparable these days? Someone on the other thread mentioned that the quote they got for a plot + construction was the same as for a 3BKH apartment. I always thought plot costs itself were so prohibitive in most localities within the city that most people had to choose apartments. Have similar sized apartment costs caught up these days?

Last edited by am1m : 25th August 2022 at 11:25.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:24   #99
BHPian

My two sents on this.

My father built a house fifty years back, purposefully outskirt of the city as he wanted a peaceful life. but today due to spread of urbanisation, same place has become very noisy.

My point is, location of house is very important. If it is only residential society of bungalow then it is OK. If it is crowded, noisy, polluted area then big NO.

Getting a peaceful location in big metros is very difficult and costly to build house. Instead staying in top of the high-rise building makes more sense. You get freedom from mosquito, noise and bonus is good fresh air flow, more light and good view also. If you get a flat with big attached terrace then you can do gardening, take sunbath and do yoga in open air. You almost get all the benefit of independent house.
IP_Man is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:26   #100
BHPian

Since you are already having the notion that only a house gives you a sense of ownership, I would suggest you to take time to find a reliable construction contractor with proven track record that your closest contacts can vouch for and go for the house.
In my opinion the value of the house on a plot will keep on increasing and is an asset for you, your next generation and coming generations.
I like to think of it like this. You invest say 50 lacs on a plot of land and construct a house of 50 lacs. Your next 2 generations will enjoy this acquired wealth and then this will stay in your lineage. Only when the house gets old, do you need to construct a new one, but the cost of the land is already paid for. You are the sole owner and there is no need to work with your neighbors (like and apartment building) if you have to reconstruct it say 30 to 40 years down the line.

Last edited by PRS7 : 25th August 2022 at 11:27. Reason: typo
PRS7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:28   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I've been wondering about this too, are rates comparable these days? Someone on the other thread mentioned that the quote they got for a plot + construction was the same as for a 3BKH apartment. I always thought plot costs itself were so prohibitive in most localities within the city that most people had to choose apartments. Have similar sized apartment costs caught up these days?
Depends on the location and builder. Established builders like Sobha, Prestige etc do not lower the prices even if they are building in an area that looks like the ruins of Indus Valley Civilisation, whereas plots in these areas may be much cheaper.
Malyaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:44   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
In a big dilemma, house or apartment?. I have already paid token advance for the house and got the legal clearance. But its a 40 year old house and hence I need to demolish and build the house. Apartment is fairly new and ready to move in. Both are located in the same area. ( I don't want to start the usual house vs apartment discussion. Some may say house is not safe, which I don't quite agree. Some may say apartments don't appreciate which is true but I am not bothered about it. To me the biggest difference is that, there is a sense of ownership in house. And the high maintenance of about 12k per month in apartment is a mental barrier. It will only go up with inflation)
What I am worried about is the hassle in construction, right from plan approval till interior work. (Even after assuming I somehow find a honest contractor). I know this is a one time activity. But a lot of people scaring me saying this is not my cup of tea. (for lazy people like me). Has anyone had any experience constructing the house?. Is it really as difficult as its made out to be?. What would you choose between a demolishable house and a ready to move in apartment?
I know of a very reliable guy (civil engineer with 20 yrs exp) who can help with your assessment and analysis. I have personally used his services for my house construction and he is a very reasonable, and open person. Even if you cant get the construction through him, i am sure he can assess and guide you for a nominal fee. DM me, if you are interested. I can personally vouch for him
Inquilab28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:52   #103
BHPian

One aspect of constructing a new house has not been discussed AFAIK. That is, how a new house can pay for its entire construction and even give a good profit to the house owner/builder, by using a hybrid model!

Say you own a plot, you are allowed three or four floors to build as per bye laws and regulations. You can make the top two floors, or the bottom two floors for yourself like a duplex apartment or like a two storied villa, and sell the remaining floor(s)! Depending on the location of the plot, this can pay for the entire construction cost, and even give the plot owner a decent profit!

Say you like the idea of private attached terrace, then keep the top two floors for yourself, and sell the ground floor to anyone (after doing due diligence as to the buyer's background and lifestyle habits etc.). I am an Architect, my dad is a structure engineer, and sister is an interior designer. We have designed several such hybrid houses/bungalows where the owners took a loan, or partnered with a reputed builder (after making an elaborate letter of agreement which specifies each and every item's quality and make/brand so as to avoid any ambiguity or dispute, on a stamp registered paper notified by a gazetted officer), then once the house is nearing completion, they sell the floor(s) that were designed with an independent separate entrance, and enjoy the fruits of their hard work by living in a large duplex with 4-5 bedrooms and private lawn/terrace. I have done this model several times, and after completing almost a hundred projects, more such clients are coming to us across various cities.

My advice: approach a reputed architect or a builder, and make a hybrid villa after looking at 5-6 such examples and talking to the owners.

Photo credit: google, and the house's respective owners since I dont want to promote my design. One can always message me to look at my portfolio.
Attached Images

redohabitat is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 12:17   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redohabitat View Post
Say you own a plot, you are allowed three or four floors to build as per bye laws and regulations.
Great to have an architect contributing!

In your professional opinion, what is the minimum plot size that will make this a viable option? I've already posted about my neighborhood where most of the plot sizes are 30x40 and people have put up up to 4 floors. But I think a lot of those are in violation of the bye-laws and like I already posted they have done it without planning for things like parking.

Also, will reputed builders be interested in re-developing on small plot sizes?

Last edited by am1m : 25th August 2022 at 12:19.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 12:44   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone had any experience constructing the house?. Is it really as difficult as its made out to be?. What would you choose between a demolishable house and a ready to move in apartment?
Hi Aditya,

I am currently building my house in my village. My home is in steep hills which need quite a climbing. The biggest issue for me was leaving the car outside of the road or outside someone's home.

We have small piece of land beside the road so i decided to build a house- 2 shutter covered garage in Ground floor and 2 bed room in first floor. The work is running since last 5 months and tiling work is being done.

Its true that building house needs a lot of attention, effort, energy and dealings with different parties (contractor, govt. authorities etc.). Sometimes it becomes quite frustrating when things don't move as per your likings. Fortunately i have my parents supporting me in this endeavor and the contractor was well known to us. Being a small town most of the Govt. authorities are known to my parents, it make things little easy.

One thing i noticed that whatever estimates we had considered initially had already overshot by few % and some work is still underway. But the feeling of building a house of your own is something you and your future generation will cherish forever. I suggest to engage with a civil contractor who is known to you, note down all small/big information, ask for a rough cut design/estimates/timelines/scope of work, visit the the govt. authorities for the approval mechanism/fee/timelines. These initial work will give you an idea of quantum of work and cost, then you can take a decision whether to go for it or not.

I decided to plunge in, i already got one person who asked me to rent out one garage to him for parking his car. Overall i would say its a adventure worth taking.

I would choose to demolish the house (it would also incur lot of cost) and build a new one (to your liking or dreams) if all titles of the lands are clear.

Thanks
UD
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks