Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2007, 10:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Man, this is absolutely shocking! May his soul rest in peace & may God give his family the strength to bear this irreparable loss.....the stress of the defeat perhaps?

Last edited by suman : 19th March 2007 at 10:31.
Old 19th March 2007, 11:01   #17
rks
BANNED

Saw the news today. Bob Woolmer is survived by his wife and two children. Blood and vomit were found next to him in the hotel room. News report details Bob's troubled reign as Pak coach and says he was "consumed along the dark corridors of Asian cricket". And why not?

Thoughts that occur to me:

-- Wife and two kids are much more important than any loss of prestige associated with Pakistan's humiliating exit.

--Pakistan loses to Ireland and exits the WC, India loses to Bangladesh and prepares to exit; we are talking of vastly superior teams losing to minnows...

--Maybe time for the ICC anti-corruption bureau to swing into action again. Looks like bookmakers are ruling Asian cricket. And maybe it's time to investigate the ICC itself and its "anti-corruption" bureau. No doubt at all that a huge sum of money would have changed hands and the bookies would have made a killing.
Old 19th March 2007, 11:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

I just came to know some (not completely unexpected) things as told by an IPS officer travelling with the team, allegedly to prevent fixing. To avoid controversy though, I am not going to post it here or anywhere.
Old 19th March 2007, 17:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well it's a sad day for world cricket, may his sould rest in Peace. He was a man who revolutionised the way Cricket Coaching was done & was majorly responsible for SA's ascent in world cricket.

But as some other have said I will say I have my doubts about his death being of natural causes. But I still don't think the truth is going to come out. A distraction was needed to ensure that the Pakistan team was not lynched by the public on their arrival back home.
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Jamaica Police: Bob Woolmer was murdered

At last it's been confirmed what everyone had been suspecting all along:

Quote:
The genteel sport of cricket was dealt a brutal blow when Jamaican police said Pakistan's national coach was murdered in his hotel room a day after his team suffered a humiliating World Cup loss.

Bob Woolmer, 58, was found unconscious in his blood- and vomit-splattered hotel room in Jamaica on Sunday after his team's defeat to Ireland on St. Patrick's Day sealed Pakistan's ouster from the tournament.

He was later declared dead at a hospital. Police said at the time that initial tests didn't indicate how he died.

But Police Commissioner Lucius Thomas said Thursday in a statement that the pathologist report found Woolmer's death was due to "asphyxia as a result of manual strangulation." Police said they were reviewing security cameras at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel and urging witnesses to come forward.

"It is our belief that those associated with or having access with Mr. Woolmer may have vital information to assist this inquiry," Thomas said in the statement.

There was no evidence of forced entry, police said. No arrests have been made and there were no suspects in the case.

Mark Shields, the deputy police commissioner, said police were investigating if more than one person could have been involved.

"Because Bob was a large man, it would have taken some significant force to subdue him, but of course at this stage we do not know how many people were in the room," he told a news conference Thursday night. "It could be one or more people involved in this murder."
Quote:
Earlier in the day, Pakistan's cricketers were fingerprinted and interviewed by police, then allowed to travel across the island to Montego Bay. Mir said Jamaican police were not preventing the team from leaving the country and they would depart for Pakistan on Saturday.

Assistant Police Commissioner Les Green said the team was fingerprinted as part of standard procedure "to eliminate persons from fingerprints which would be found in the room."
"After a thorough investigation, fingerprints not belonging to Mr. Woolmer were found in the room," he told the AP.

Nasim Ashraf, who tendered his resignation as chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board soon after the team's defeat to Ireland, said Friday that the players were not facing any restrictions on their movements and would return home soon.

"The Bob Woolmer case is under investigation, but I want to make it clear that there is no suspicion on the Pakistani team," Ashraf said in the northwestern city of Peshawar.
Source
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very Very Shocking news!
And that too for a perfect gentleman like Bob Woolmer!
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:38   #22
BHPian

I think there is already a thread related to Bob's death.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/22383-bob-woolmer-r-i-p.html
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Bob's book proved to be costly for him.
But why fingerprint the players?
Old 23rd March 2007, 18:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
I think there is already a thread related to Bob's death.
It's about his death & our wishes to his family, not about his murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
To seperate their finger prints from other prints found in Bob's room.
Old 23rd March 2007, 19:42   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Can of worms. Can of worms.
Old 23rd March 2007, 19:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It's about his death & our wishes to his family, not about his murder.
With all my sympathies and wishes for Bob's families ..
but still it does not need a new thread. This is the way I have seen Mods suggesting here. I am searching where are they..
Old 23rd March 2007, 21:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Its really sad.. I don't think it was the end of the world for the Pakistan cricket team.. Definitely humiliating, but not an event that required the killing of the coach.
May his soul rest in peace..!
Old 23rd March 2007, 21:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

What a effed up sport.
Old 23rd March 2007, 23:13   #29
BHPian

New thread or old, I am not even going to talk about India team loss (which happen so often) ever in public. Not to blame only Pakistan, we are no less. Remember Kaif's house attacked, I have been praying for Chapel.....
Old 23rd March 2007, 23:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Bob's book proved to be costly for him.
Why not ? Are you ruling out the involvement of the players ?? i wouldn't if i were the investigating officers. In fact, i would hold them the prime suspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
What a effed up sport.
Yeah, football fans shoot the players too. remember ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks