Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?

Well, I'm a 'specsie' since childhood, so I can understand that problem. The same problem concocts up when riding a motorcycle wearing a helmet in the winters.
Anyway, these days I use a mask with a metal clip inside and tighten that strip to take the shape of my nose. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but got habitual of it pretty quickly.

Also, I saw a hack to prevent fogging of mirrors and helmet visors by spraying a little shaving foam on it and rubbing it dry without rinsing. I have tried it on Mirrors, works like a charm. Don't know why it shouldn't work on glasses. Next time I go out, I'll try it and will report.

Note: I'm not aware if this could damage the anti glare coating on glasses or the polaroid layer on Sunglasses.

Cheers
Archie_27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:07   #32
BHPian

Re: Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?

I have found 2 solutions that work.
1. Wearing 2 masks- first one is a soft cotton mask with good sweat absorption ability inside the 2nd one (preferably N95 with a valve). The inner mask absorbs sweat and moist air coming out of breathing and the outer one protects from external contaminants. Only thing to look for is the straps of both the masks should not be very tight, else it will put double pressure on ear. Better is to have the outer mask over the head type, which eases out pressure.

2. Little unconventional method. Swimming googles have by default anti-fogging coating, so they do not have fog on them. Some of the swimming googles are also having anti-reflection/UV coating, which can double as sunglasses. The only problem is if someone is not regular swimmer, wearing these for long hours could be uncomfortable.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:22   #33
Team-BHP Support

This product just launched on IndieGogo a few days back.

It claims to solve the problems of:
1) Face-shield + mask
2) Face-shield/mask + spectacles

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-dlvukeutaloyb0illlay.jpg

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-rokhzjwn5bc5wlz9sxdf.jpg

The integration of the face-shield with the mask seems really smart. The mask with the spectacles is hard to comment on without trying it in person.

Though, the addition of a face-shield solves the spectacles problem for people who don't need to be wearing glasses (eg. GTO).

Start watching @ 1:20

That said, any well-fitting N95 mask should have almost no bleed, else it's hugely compromised. This is also the reason many Sikh doctors shaved their beards -- so that the N95 masks could fit their face perfectly in an air-tight fashion.

I guess this problem arises because most masks that the public is wearing are not designed to be air-tight.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd July 2020 at 12:50.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:29   #34
BHPian

Had been facing this issue long before Covid. Everytime I step out of the car in places like Chennai and Mumbai and even Delhi during Monsoons. Heck even stepping out of my AC bedroom to the kitchen would fog up my glasses. Have tried everything from shaving cream to tobacco and spray on anti fog treatments. Nothing really lasts as I smudge up my glasses fairly often and need to clean them multiple times throughout the day.

My bigger mask problem remains the issue of the mask being permeable over my beard. With a huge face and a longish beard like mine even the XXL masks don't fit right. Any suggestions would much appreciated.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Fogging is a major issue, especially while driving and sometime when examining clients. The solution is a PAPR by 3M, which will make one look like a Robot. I've found it suffocating wearing two masks and a face shield when I've to examine and couple it with fogging it's annoying. As mentioned above that happens when one steps out of the air conditioned car: option is to remove glasses and wait for them to defog. This happens to all bespectacled people.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3

Last edited by Durango Dude : 2nd July 2020 at 12:55.
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:08   #36
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This may be an option to try.
Anti-Fogging Mountain Bike Glasses. A friend shared this link today.

Link

Last edited by NPV : 2nd July 2020 at 14:10.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
2. Little unconventional method. Swimming googles have by default anti-fogging coating, so they do not have fog on them. Some of the swimming googles are also having anti-reflection/UV coating, which can double as sunglasses. The only problem is if someone is not regular swimmer, wearing these for long hours could be uncomfortable.
Swimming goggles are an excellent option for protection against Covid-19, since they are airtight, preventing infection through the eyes, which spectacles do not, and have anti-fogging coating. You can even get prescription lenses fitted at Decathlon, which is super convenient, because there you can try it out before paying, and also buy the liquid which restores the anti fogging coating. Try to choose larger sizes, to reduce discomfort when wearing for long periods.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8356790/s...t-size-l-smoke

Last edited by proton : 2nd July 2020 at 14:26.
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Using a mask which has a clip or some similar mechanism that pinches the mask tightly around the nose reduces or even eliminates the exhalation escaping from the top of the mask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have found that using masks that have a good bendable nose piece usually solves it. If you can shape/mould that across your cheek/nose it works fine for me.
Who would've thought that we would today be talking about our spectacles fogging in an automotive forum than a windshield/window fogging

What SDP and Jeroen indicated works best for me with almost zero fogging on my spectacles - the mask with a bendable clip around the nose. It blocks the exhaled air from moving towards your glass if you keep it tight. I'm using the one below with such a nose clip and found to be extremely useful. My bespectacled teenager son is using it too. I bought it from flipkart. It's washable and can be reused upto 30 times. Price is for a pack of 5.

http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/wildcraft-...oduct.share.pp

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-screenshot_20200702142017.jpg
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-screenshot_20200702142034.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-screenshot_20200702142104.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 2nd July 2020 at 14:33.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 16:00   #39
BHPian

There are simple face shields for people who want to cover their entire face. You can wear a mask and wear a face shield as well.

We are presently dealing with these products and are supplying to banks, offices where people deal with customers over a counter and also to hospitals.

I personally use them and they are very useful, dont fog up, have enough ventilation and are quite cheap (retailing between 60-80rs). I have sometimes forgotten to remove them when driving cos it just doesnt bother or maybe I just got too used to them.

There is also an interesting story to this, when Covid-19 started these were being 3D printed by a company here. The reason was he had raw material and he had staff who were not doing anything so he decided to 3D print them. Later on as demand went up and costs had to come down he got moulds done and started making plastic moulds. This was an eye opener for me personally to know the growth of 3D printing in the future. The guy had various articles which were 3D printed (calls for another topic).

Also its just the blue frame which is 3D printed the rest is a plastic A4 size sheet which is punched with holes at the right places and you just have to align it with the 3D printed frame. So you can use the plastic sheet for as long as you think it is not impairing your vision, it can be cleaned, sprayed with sanitizer and wiped down. When it has a lot of scratches then you can just get the plastic A4 size sheet alone and replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-face-shield-plastic.jpeg  

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-img_0908.jpg  

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-img_0917.jpg  

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-img_0918.jpg  

av8er is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Shreeharsha Thulapule for sending this trick in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I just came across this new thread regarding fogging of glasses while wearing a mask today. I have a small hack which you can try. Take small piece of cotton, mildly dip it in Savlon then wipe it over inner surface of glasses it will avoid fogging. I am an ENT surgeon we use Savlon as anti-fog for our endoscopic surgery where we dip endoscope lens every time before we put it on our nose. Just give a try.
blackwasp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

1) Get a mask with a valve

2) Mask should fit tightly around the nose

3) Tape the upper edge using the white papery doctors tape as it's called

4) Tissue between mask and face on upper edge

5) I actually was using nose filters that go in the nostril for this very reason since the past couple of years for protection from dust, pollutants and microorganisms which has worked very well for me. Obviously not useful if you are a mouth breather and technically "illegal" as you are required to wear a mask in public so that's what I'm doing. I also have a personal wearable ionizer which helps a decent amount.

6) Like the soap you could probably try a WOWA type car sealant like Opti Seal which should help prevent fogging due to the hydrophobic properties imparted
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:54   #42
BHPian

I have been facing this issue since the outbreak of this disease. But the two masks that I've been using right now, one N95 and one wildcraft mask, have nose clips that help prevent fogging. So I'd recommend N95 mask with adjustable nose clips or wildcraft supermask as good solution to this particular problem.
Old 2nd July 2020, 22:39   #43
BHPian

What I do is to pull up the mask high that it reaches on top of my nose then the vapours from my breathes moves downwards thus not creating vapour on my glasses. I worked for me in these summer months well.

As Aircon creates a temperature difference & fogging of glasses then become a serious issue.

You have a late night meeting or have to rush for a emergency you become a danger on the road as glasses are fogging up badly. At nights it becomes bad I have experienced it myself

You can also try to rub regular colgate on specs & then wipe, in many videos we have seen it helps in not fogging car windows
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:25   #44
BHPian

Face Mask + iPhone 11 unlock problems

Apple has this weird attitude of removing a feature and calling it a new feature.
Remove audio jack and call it a feature, removed touch id (finger print) and replaced with face unlock.

With face mask it is difficult to make banking payments, phonepe etc.
There are blogs and articles on how you can trick iPhone to add second face with mask but I have never been successful. Any ideas to get around this other than ditching iPhone ?
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:47   #45
BHPian

I an Ophthalmologist and I have regularly faced this problem even before Covid times in OR.
I have found 3 solutions for it.
First is using mask with a nose clip. The nose clips allows a snug fir over nose which prevents fogging of glasses. Second is using a micro pore (surgical tape) and taping the superior edge of mask to nose which also allows the mask to stay in place and not move below the nose. This is not practical in routine life but I find it useful in OR. This ensures zero fogging.
Third is wearing the mask a bit higher up so that the upper edge of mask goes below the spectacle. This will generally prevent fogging up of the glasses. This is very practical and I use this during cycling.
Hopefully these methods may be of help.
Thanks.

Last edited by midazolam : 3rd July 2020 at 10:49.
midazolam is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks