Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2020, 13:49   #31

Re: Indian Army : Of Religion & Buddies

This is the best thing I read on the internet today!

Thank you Sir for your service and beautiful words. I can only wish more of our countrymen read your post, and truly comprehend the meaning on the word secular woven into our constitution. May your tribe grow and prosper.
skx007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 14:05   #32

A great Post sir! It reminds of the experience that I have about the life in armed forces. Though I am not an Army / Air Force BRAT but most of my family members and relatives are either serving or have served with the armed forces. I also almost became a part of our Armed forces but could not make it due to some unforeseen circumstances. A classic case of "Man Proposes and God disposes!"

I have personally seen soldiers & buddies from other faiths and religions being an indispensable part of the Unit Pooja / Festivals and many of them always being a part of our family festivities. They all are True Brothers in Arms!

All such things definitely show us how beautifully our nation's diversity is beautifully woven in the social fabric of our Armed forces and our Nation.
Aksfdb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 20:03   #33
BHPian

Such threads are useful to make common folks aware of the culture and ethos in the armed forces. Tried very hard to keep away from posting on this thread but could not restrain myself. It seems eons that I was selected for the NDA ( yes, the one at Khadakvasla ). And why do I say selected. To the best of my knowledge, it is still one of the toughest institutions to gain entry into. Some HR researcher may be able to throw more light on this. And I was not even sixteen and yet to start shaving. Today, some 60 years later, and having done nearly four decades in the PBI (Poor bloody Infantry ), I sometimes wonder---was it really worth it. Participated in a couple of wars, a number of insurgencies and internal security missions and all the stuff that go to make up a battle hardened veteran. Yes, had my fair share of comfy peace station postings as well, so no cribs.
What one needs to appreciate is that with the passage of time, technology developments, media revolution and changing values there are bound to be some aberrations. And these have been articulated by some contributors in this thread. These aberrations existed even six decades ago; the 24/7 media channels are quick to pounce on these incidents and present these stories as " scoops" to score brownie points and be one up on their rivals. The underlying trust and respect for the armed forces has, however not diminished. Heck, I see it in day to day living and when I don't matter one bit to anyone. It is this 'izzat' and support that one looks forward to in the defence services. As one poster brought out this the last bastion of our great nation. Just equip them right,train them well and give them good leadership and you can be assured of successful completion of the given task. The armed forces have proved this time and again. Even in tasks/missions that would appear impossible to many.
vkr15 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 17:34   #34
BHPian

Thanks much, @Hunter3077, for your fascinating post, for starting this heartening thread and for your optimism. We certainly need generous amounts of the latter at the moment! I am not religious but remember visiting a Sarv Dharm Sthal as a kid and being deeply moved by it. Your post brought that memory back after decades.

I am so glad to see that so many people still cherish the idea of India that birthed this country. I join others here in my fervent hope that the armed forces stay unaffected by the systemic dismantling and destruction of that idea that is currently underway.
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 18:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
Thanks much, @Hunter3077, for your fascinating post, for starting this heartening thread and for your optimism. We certainly need generous amounts of the latter at the moment! I am not religious but remember visiting a Sarv Dharm Sthal as a kid and being deeply moved by it. Your post brought that memory back after decades.

I am so glad to see that so many people still cherish the idea of India that birthed this country. I join others here in my fervent hope that the armed forces stay unaffected by the systemic dismantling and destruction of that idea that is currently underway.
Thanks. I didn't anticipate this kind of an overwhelming response when I posted the piece. Goes on to show that most of us, whether military or otherwise still very much cherish the idea of religious freedom and tolerance regardless of the political manoeuvres that keep happening for vote bank.
Regards and cheers.
Hunter3077 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 18:02   #36
BHPian

If all Indians followed religion the way it is followed by our Armed Forces, half of the nation's problems would have been solved. Can anyone imagine the CO of X religion, leading the Arati/Prayer/Hawan ... of Y and Z religions? The fatherly figure's (CO's)religion is the religion of the people he commands. IA made it so simple in their DNA and look at what we do elsewhere.
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 00:21   #37
BANNED

Interplay of emotions that arise because of plurality of religious beliefs is a tricky subject, more so when the people in question are part of a professional armed force. I don't think any other forces in the world except India, would have so much of religious and caste related dynamism.

Let's not forget the United India was (may I say 'conveniently' by the then reign holders) divided into two dominions on the basis of religions.

While reading in a bit depth about religious colour of Indian army on the Internet, I came to know about curious case of one Maj Gen A A Khan. He was a pow with the Germans. He declined to join Netaji Bose's INA sighting reason of having eaten British salt. After independence he was promoted as major general and appointed as Director Supplies & Transport (DST) of the Indian Army. (This division handles sensitive information of logistics of entire army) . He retired in 1953 and immediately accepted a high post in Pakistan. (May be he stopped eating salt after 15th August 1947.) It was a major jolt to the ethos of Indian army. Field Marshall Cariappa has penned his thoughts about his impression about a specific community in army and its tilt of loyalty. Everything I have written is available as various articles on noted newspapers from both sides of the border.

This post is not to support the dogma some people carry about a specific religion and I just wanted to share what I just read about this case. 700 soldiers of specific community leaving Indian army as a protest against Operation Polo, though mostly seems a rumor as I couldn't find any credible writings about it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th September 2020 at 00:34. Reason: Adding paragraph space for readability.
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingHorse View Post
This post is not to support the dogma some people carry about a specific religion and I just wanted to share what I just read about this case. 700 soldiers of specific community leaving Indian army as a protest against Operation Polo, though mostly seems a rumor as I couldn't find any credible writings about it.

Be careful sir. You may not want want to support the ongoing dogma being fed to us but your post by itself lends credence.

You may want to look up Operation Bluestar in 1984 and mutiny by Sikh soldiers after it. This was a bigger shock for the armed forces given the role of Sikh and Sikh LI regiments and large number of Sikh officers.

Role of religion in nation state formation is very challenging deserving of a separate book by itself. For more information though look up the role of Tilak in making Ganesh Chaturthi a public event or why Gandhi supported the Khilafat movement. There is always a price to pay for involving religion in nation state formation though, as Pakistan discovered in since 1947 and as we no doubt will discover going forward.

An Old Fauji Joke as a post script:

Sardar had three boys over time. First one was named Kaptaan Singh, second one was named Karnail Singh and the third, Jarnail Singh.

The fourth one turned out to be a girl. She was named Armored (Kaur) Corps.
Spaced Out is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 00:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingHorse View Post
...though mostly seems a rumor as I couldn't find any credible writings about it.
What is the rationale for repeating an unsubstantiated, malicious story that you yourself concede is most likely a rumour?
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 19:39   #40
Team-BHP Support

I follow this Gentleman on twitter for defense related news. He shuts down a troll with a headshot:

Indian Army : Of Religion & Buddies-screenshot_1.jpg

His credentials:

Indian Army : Of Religion & Buddies-screenshot_2.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Very apprehensive about posting this, because it deals with 2 sacred institutions- religion itself and the Indian Armed forces. But it's a personal experience that I'd like to narrate and I'm hoping a mature forum like this can handle a bit of a contrarian opinion.

Apologies (especially to the OP, Hunter - your opening post was awesome and I loved each of your anecdotes) if it comes across as anything else, I do not have any other agenda here.

I see that nobody has replied so I thought I will chime in.

No flaming of civilians as you fear, we are all normal mortals here, just trained and work in a different way. We come from the same lot as you.

What you fear could be true for a few individuals, however the system and procedures in place in all arms of military prevent such thoughts/ individuals from doing any real harm or changing the working of military.

Still, your point is well taken. We are humans and there could be some exceptions. The beauty of fauj is these exceptions will largely be identified and dealt with in proper manner. Wish the same was true of most of other Sarkari organaisations.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd November 2020 at 12:21. Reason: Please quote *ONLY* the relevant bits of post.
MADMAX111 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
The beauty of fauj is these exceptions will largely be identified and dealt with in proper manner. Wish the same was true of most of other Sarkari organaisations.
That's exactly right. There is a very strong 'self righting mechanism' in the three services and such aberrations are taken care of by peers and senior officers.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd November 2020 at 12:20. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 5th November 2020, 12:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

https://www.facebook.com/ata.hasnain...57715578827776 Another beauty from the scholar warrior.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks