Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you scared to get a Covid-19 test done?
Yes 83 40.49%
No 122 59.51%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 20:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Why are people scared to get a Covid-19 test done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
By this strange logic, you have to get tested every 24 hours, isn't it ?
Do you get a lipid profile, MRI, TB test done every 24 hours? It's so easy to manipulate any sentence out of context, yet very difficult to give some time understanding the whole scenario.
Also I'd put this argument to rest because the logic being used here simply defeats the whole purpose of conducting diagnostic tests from the Medical POV

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 11th October 2020 at 20:54.
Old 12th October 2020, 06:54   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
As your post illustrates, you self isolated and in fact your wife had already recovered by the time you got the test results. Pray tell what harm it would have done if you had simply self isolated without the test?
The key is that we were quarantined for 14 days after the test. Prevented any possible spread. Else, she would have been out and about once the mild fever stopped - and others would have been infected. Being asymptomatic does not stop you from spreading the disease. Agree fully that they should have tested earlier - but tests were in short supply in May, at least in Bombay, they are available on request now.
Old 12th October 2020, 07:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Underscores my point. Even medical professionals have concluded that there is no benefit to testing even when it pertains to themselves and their family. You can’t ask for a stronger endorsement.
100% wrong interpretation of the situation - when we pointed out the fallacy of their actions, especially with the risk of two elderly folks in the house, her sister had no answer and changed the topic.

The only aspect on what my wife could get them to agree - cancel her sister's upcoming plan to travel to their hometown (in ~ 1-2 weeks timeline) as she was clear their mother should not be at risk. We realized what they do in their own house is up to them finally.
Old 12th October 2020, 08:26   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of points from a doctor who is qualified to speak about such things:

https://twitter.com/FaheemYounus/sta...35697339060225

https://twitter.com/FaheemYounus/sta...14181458264064
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have been tested once. The procedure was ok. There was nothing scary about it, except the possibility of Institutional quarantine which is horrible in Mumbai. Imagine being in a make shift hospital in Mumbai rains.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:20   #36
BHPian

Being a dentist in government service, and being involved with sampling of Covid-19 cases, i feel that the fears about cross-infection are rational, but unsubstantiated.
Firstly, working in a PPE is HARD. It's like a plastic film covering you from head to toe, with absolutely no ventilation or scope for evaporation of sweat. Add to that the virtual absence of ACs in the tiny cabins we sit in, and it becomes a proper heat-stroke hazard.
We used to wear two pairs of gloves, the outer one was changed between patients, or at least sanitized if we were working away from the hospital. The two swabs used for throat and nasal samples are specific and well suited for their purpose. The nasal swab is very fine, flexible and if done right, absolutely painless.
About the stigma, it's very much a fact. People literally run away from the OPD if we suggest them to get a test done. My own colleagues, far more experienced than me, are reluctant to get themselves tested. I've suggested, multiple times, to get us all tested, as the nature of our work brings us in close proximity to patients, and I don't want to be a superspreader. I find it illogical, but to each his own, you can't force anyone to get tested.
Therein lies the importance of wearing a mask and following hand hygiene and social distancing. Covid-19 is still present, and is still a health risk.
DrAakash is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
Do you get a lipid profile, MRI, TB test done every 24 hours? It's so easy to manipulate any sentence out of context, yet very difficult to give some time understanding the whole scenario.
Also I'd put this argument to rest because the logic being used here simply defeats the whole purpose of conducting diagnostic tests from the Medical POV
But if the gap between no symptoms and death is just 24 hours then even testing won't help isint it?

Suppose you have no symptoms and still you get yourself tested. Let's say report is positive. Now it can means either you have the virus or the report is doctored ( both are possible by the way) now what do you do? Report is positive but you have no symptoms and possibly you have less than 24 hours to live? The SOP for no symptoms is you don't go to hospital but you isolate yourself. But isolation won't help prevent that possible death isint it? Or are we saying all positive people should immediately rush to the hospital?

And it the report is negative then really nothing gained. You again have to get yourself tested in the next hour/day/week/month whatever duration may be else there's always doubt that you might be asymptomatically positive!
joslicx is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

There is news today that 2467 people died the same day they were tested positive for the virus. This indicates how late testing is being done.

I would put this on symptoms being same as common cold. Imagine in Bengaluru with not much sunlight since May and having allergies and such symptoms beings common.

Add to this the govt facilities are not really that great. Information on testing, hospitalization etc is very bad. One of close friend's father tested positive and it was really difficult to know what to do. There are schemes where the govt pays even for private hospital treatment and it is not known to everyone. Each time some new thing comes up, a new webpage is created without logical linking to existing ones.
Old 12th October 2020, 09:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

I got my wife and her sister tested at home for Covid. My company has a tie up with a leading diagnostic center and they provide at home service. My biggest fear of getting a Covid test is the person collecting the sample. I have seen people (elderly) who had a viral infection contract Covid only because of the exposure that they had by standing in a line and getting their sample collected.

If someone exclusively comes home wearing a PPE kit, I have no qualms. Standing in a line and getting it done is a big NO. I think at least 50% of Covid cases these days are not purely due to the person's negligence but by negligence of people who have already contracted Covid. My relatives (around 14 of them) contracted the virus because their neighbor was not responsible enough.
Old 12th October 2020, 09:54   #40
BHPian

My wife was tested two weeks ago in Bangalore as its the minimum requirement to travel to Singapore. She traveled to an ICMR lab early morning and the process took 20mins start to end. Got the results in 12hrs by email.
Old 12th October 2020, 10:17   #41
BHPian

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. But the more practical statement here would simply be - Do a proper risk assessment before seeking out to know whether you have the Devil inside you. I hope the sentiments expressed in this thread have justified the ones who were blaming 'low testing rates' as one of the key causes to stagnation.
lonetraveller89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
What is the benefit in getting tested? Unless you are seriously ill and need hospitlisation, knowing whether you are positive has no benefit apart from satisfying your curiosity. There is no treatment or cure available. All you can do is rest, take adequate fluids along with vitamins and most likely you will recover. If you are asymptotic then it makes even less sense to test yourself.
This is a common question and my answer is that it may not be very advantageous to you personally but on a community level this is very useful. By regular testing in a community you know the level of spread in an area and there fore the level of precautions to be taken. It can also identify sources.

We have free testing going on right now in our apartment currently in Bangalore. So far none of the residents have tested positive and one supermarket delivery guy has been tested positive and so the supermarket is closed for now to avoid spreading.

Regular testing at community level will show you how things are progressing over a period of time. We have to be able to have a sustainable strategy for the next few months and widespread testing will help.

Also many people have to now start their life who do not have option to isolate at levels for the past few months. SO they would like to know if they are exposed. Essential workers like maids and housekeeping staff are at high risk and should be tested regularly. Obviously this is a voluntary test and if you feel you have been isolating well and most likely not at risk you can opt out.

Our family got tested and hopefully if a good sample of the society is tested we will get a good sense of risk around us.
neeravnaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:23   #43
BHPian

I think most of the public is taking COVID very casually as just another FLU. I had a close office colleague with whom I had discussed in detail. Here are the key learnings I want to share with all.

1.Home isolation and treatment to be done only under daily consultation with Physician. Oxymeter check every 2-3 hrs and if O2 is going less than 95 ( typically after 5-8 days ), patient will have to go to Hospital ASAP for Oxygen support and start of antiviral treatment

2. At hospital they evaluate and decide on treatment of viral load- either Favipiravir or Remdesivir (given by IV) plus Oxygen breathing support

3.Chest X-Ray/CT scan is taken to see the impact of COVID on the lungs.

4.Hopefully most would be getting better by this treatment. However, those with lesser immunity or diabetes/Hypertension could need a ventilator.

5.The average discharge time for moderate cases from Hospital is 1 week and for severe cases can be 2-4 weeks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:25   #44
BHPian

I travelled from Mumbai to Hyderabad. As a preventive measure got a covid test done voluntarily after 5 days of quarantine.
Old 12th October 2020, 10:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. I have already been tested 5 times after Covid19 affected 4 people in my joint family and 7 people in my factory. All my tests came back negative.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks