Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 19:27   #16
BHPian

re: Complete blackout in Mumbai, Thane and other parts of Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hilarious to see front page news on a power outage in Mumbai.

Shaablog, come to Bangalore where our society incurs more opex on buying diesel and tanker water than any other item :-).
Same up North as well. We used to have real bad power cuts till a couple of years ago. Still have them but the intensity is not that high.

Still Gurugram has a couple of "Outages" every week . And in summers 1 transformer will go bonkers or some main wires will go up in flames.
Guaranteed 12-16 hour cut.

The good part is that they have a dedicated complaint number which sends you a confirmation with a "No Supply" message.

I remember that the Diesel bill of our office regularly crossing 45-50K/PM in the summers in Udyog Vihar. It is still bad there.
Old 12th October 2020, 19:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Have never lived in a place where uninterrupted power supply was a given. Power cuts, 'load shedding' , voltage fluctuations have always been a way of life. Pretty much the same in Bangalore also. Just today there were 3 power outrages. Only thing is now it is circumvented by inverters , UPS and apartment level full generator backup.

While it is well known that Mumbai is one of the best with respect to uninterrupted power, still amusing to read about an outrage making top headlines. I wish Bangalore would get there.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 19:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I wish Bangalore would get there.
We would , if we ever got 24 hrs power supply without disruption.
Old 12th October 2020, 20:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hilarious to see front page news on a power outage in Mumbai.

Shaablog, come to Bangalore where our society incurs more opex on buying diesel and tanker water than any other item :-).
You forgot another biggie, the sewage treatment plant. We spend more on it than Diesel and Water combined.
Old 12th October 2020, 20:46   #20
BHPian

It is understandable that there is so much outrage over disruption of electricity in Mumbai. I was in Mumbai for two years and I remember there was no power for a total of 5 minutes in that time. I was really impressed with the electricity supply even during continuous rains. During that time, I had bought a refrigerator from Croma and as is the norm in North India, I asked the sales advisor about cost of stabilizer or if I get one for free. The sales advisor had a blank expression as he had never heard of stabilizer and when I explained to him, he had a smile and told me that no one uses stabilizer in Mumbai as there is no fluctuations in power supply in Mumbai.

Compared to Mumbai, the situation in Faridabad is worst I think. Every second week there is a scheduled cut of 2-3 hours for maintenance and despite that, the moment a rain drop leaves the clouds, electricity department cuts the power supply which is restored many hours later. I think electricity department here can predict rain much better than MET Department. Just a couple of months back, we had a 23 hour cut here due to rain. Also, in peak summers, it is acceptable to have 2 hours power cut almost every day but still rain is the worst nightmare.
Amity is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 11:03   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Complete blackout in Mumbai, Thane and other parts of Maharashtra

Man, that was a real big one! I don't remember the last time there was a power cut in our area. Luckily, I was well-prepared yesterday as I recently bought a laptop charger for the car (How to charge a laptop in the car?). If the outage was for longer, I'd simply walk down and work from my car. But my laptop batteries lasted long enough and I didn't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Have never lived in a place where uninterrupted power supply was a given. Power cuts, 'load shedding' , voltage fluctuations have always been a way of life.
Mumbai power supply is very solid. When I got a new audio system for my hall, I asked ICE expert Navin if I needed any sort of surge protector etc. He said "nope, our supply is top class".

Even in terms of water supply, I don't remember the last interruption.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 11:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

What was unique to this power cut was the telecom operators lost connectivity around our area (Ghatkopar - LBS road). From the time the power went off till it came back around 7PM, both Airtel and Vodafone (/VI) did not have mobile data services, and we completely lost Airtel network coverage for most of the time.

I could just barely make a few calls from my Vodafone number and sms office folks on my predicament throughout the day.
Old 13th October 2020, 12:41   #23
BHPian

Sequence of events are as follows(received as a whatsapp forward):

400kV Pune-Kalwa line was under forced shutdown since 13:47 hrs due to R-Y phase fault. Pune end fault current-11.13 kA Dist-30.4 KM

E/S on 400kV Kalwa-Padghe line-1 availed by Maharashtra at 06:54hrs. Expected to be revived by 09:30hr but could not be revived by Maharshtra.

At 09:58 hrs 400kv Kalwa-padghe-2 carrying 633 MW tripped . The flow on Pune-Khargar rose upto 900 MW and tripped at 10:00 hrs.

Khargar ICT-1 & 2 also tripped at 10:05 hrs resulting in load drop of 360 MW in Mumbai system.

SLDC Kalwa is requested to normalize 400kV Kalwa-padghe-1 immediately and take Pune –Khargar via TBC into service.

Mumbai island system was separated but could not be on hold.

About 900 MW load dropped at 10:05 hrs.
Total load drop about 1300 MW

As informed by Maharastra, Pune-Khargar line hand tripped due to heavy sparking

Total mumbai load loss is 2600 MW

Pune-Khargar line closed at 10:27 hrs.
Fordlover88 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 10:14   #24
BHPian

This is a regular feature in Goa.
Happens almost every day.
If we are lucky it's 3 or 4 times a day for 5 to 10 minutes.
If we are not, it can happen 10 times in a day.
Causes damage to all our electronic equipment.
I have now fitted stabilisers on every single piece of equipment!
The most useless Electricity Dept. in India, I think.
The last power cut / failure lasted more than 24 hours.

Regards,
SS
Old 14th October 2020, 10:22   #25
BANNED

ah..first city (world) problems of a third world country
Old 14th October 2020, 10:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
This is a regular feature in Goa.
Happens almost every day.
If we are lucky it's 3 or 4 times a day for 5 to 10 minutes.
If we are not, it can happen 10 times in a day.
What happened in Mumbai is totally different. The post of @Fordlover88 is pretty accurate in describing what had happened. It was a grid failure, not the same as a power cut which is pretty localized.

Last edited by srini1785 : 14th October 2020 at 10:40.
Old 14th October 2020, 10:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

So how come the Mumbai power situation is so much better than Bangalore's? Because of private suppliers?
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 10:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
ah..first city (world) problems of a third world country
Imagine this happening during non-covid times with local trains jam packed overloaded and with such a power outage we would have been more of steamed human MOMOS than human BEINGS.

Also those tall skyscrapers with elderly people living on top floors not having sufficient power backup for elevators are screwed!
Old 14th October 2020, 11:38   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Also those tall skyscrapers with elderly people living on top floors not having sufficient power backup for elevators are screwed!
Almost all modern lifts are fitted with Automatic Rescue Device (ARD). It's function is to park the elevator car to the closest floor near the elevator’s current position, when the power cut happens. So if the power cut happens, the elevator will automatically land to the nearest floor and will open its doors for the passesngers to exit.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 14th October 2020 at 11:39.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:03   #30
BHPian

Staying in Mumbai for 9 years, I can easily count the number of power cuts on the fingertips of my one hand. Be it floods, storms, etc, zero power cuts.

I remember when I first arrived in Mumbai in 2011, was sitting at my aunt's place and suddenly there was a power cut. Coming from north I was pretty chilled out but my aunt was panicking as to what happened. The power did come back within a minute, to her relief and my surprise.

Just check out the Youtube comments of all the videos around this Mumbai powercut, people are going bonkers over reporting of Mumbai powercut when they have daily load sheddings of hours which goes unheard of.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks