Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 22:37   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Graaja I cannot tell you how indebted I feel to you after thinking of all the knowledge you have shared here.

Then came 21 Nov 2020 and you posted your story, I was so impressed with the logic you presented that I have been on IF since that very day, 14:10 routine, have cut down on carbs by about 20 percent, and I feel I am back at 50 years of age. Things have been looking only up since then.Only thing that remains now is to start running five kms which was my capacity then and I aim to retrieve it.

I have some queries, would be obliged if you could answer them, what about the fruits and the sugar in them, I do take quite a lot of them, mostly citrus as I have a small orchard, does your body handle them in any different fashion as compared to processed sugars. Secondly, some societal norms force me to have alcohol in very moderate amount two to three times a week, about 60 ml on an average, I would request you to elaborate a bit as to how it impacts your intake of carbs and in general its metabolism in the body when doing IF.
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am very glad to know that you are feeling better with the 14:10 IF. Once you start getting comfortable with this window, increase it to 16. This along with your running will give you great results and will also give you lots of energy.

Regarding fruits, yes, when you take fruits high in sugar, they give the same insulin response as sugar. It is a misconception that we need to have fruits because of the vitamins and minerals in fruits. You can get almost equal and even more vitamins and minerals from many vegetables without the side effects of sugar. For example, a medium sized banana has about 360mg of potassium and 12g of sugar (that is three teaspoons of sugar). Two cups of raw spinach has the same amount of potassium, with zero sugar. If you add big portions of vegetables in the diet, that will provide you with all the micronutrients needed. Having said that, it is fine to have fruits in moderation. Just keep it low when your goal is to lose weight.

Regarding alcohol: When there is alcohol in the system, the body will focus in getting rid of the alcohol and will not break down fat cells. This can greatly affect weight loss. Also alcohol has empty carbs that can make you feel hungry and can make you overeat carbs which will also affect weight loss. So, even in a situation which involves social pressure, it is better to avoid alcohol or keep it limited to say 30ml just for show so that it does not affect your health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Any advice on fitness practices for kids?

E.g. my eight year old daughter remains chubby with excess fat around the belly area, even though she is very active - she runs the fastest in her class, as well as among all kids of our residential community. In terms of her diet, i know this much, that she doesn’t have soft drinks or junk food. Her sweets and chocolate intake is much much less than an average kid. But yes, we have a typical Punjabi diet.
+1 to Manneatwheels and drrajasaravanan.

Fasting or restricted diet is not for kids. As long as your kid does not have the habit of eating a lot of sugar and soft drinks, and eats home cooked food, she should be fine.

A few good practices you could follow in her diet.

1. When it comes to sweet and chocolate, make sure it is not part of every day diet (even if it is small quantity), and she enjoys them occasionally.
2. Keep her active. Encourage her to take up some form of sports or dance etc.
3. In food keep portions of vegetables, dal etc more compared to rotis or rice. Dal is loaded with protein and micronutrients, and vegetables are rich in micronutrients.

Just keep junk food out as much as possible and that should be enough.

Last edited by graaja : 14th December 2020 at 22:41.
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:47   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi Madhav,

This is a very good start. Wishing you all the best with your weight loss journey. Just remember weight is just a temporary short term goal. Health for life is the long term goal, and whatever you do to achieve weight loss should be a lifestyle change.
Sure thing . Not repeating my mistake IF is going to be my lifestyle. I now want to maintain at 68-70kg range. So I will not go into calorie deficit any more.

Quote:
Regarding apps: I use an app called Zerofasting for tracking my intermittent fasts, and I use the app MyFitnessPal whenever I need to track my macros for Keto or planned carbs.

For my workout tracking, I use a Garmin Fenix 5 watch and the Garmin Connect app. This helps me to track all my workouts including walks, runs, cycling, swimming, cardio workouts etc., and also my health parameters like sleep, resting heart rate etc.
Thanks a lot for the apps. I will install them and start using.

Thanks again
Madhav
maddyoni10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 23:00   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
Just make sure your kid is actively participating in the games, don't even think of a diet plan or fasting kind
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
Please don't start any dieting schedule for kids especially not IF or Keto.
[quote=graaja;4954757.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind responses!
Old 15th December 2020, 00:49   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Don't worry about those hunger pangs. In a week's time you will feel so energetic, you will not have any more hunger pangs.

So, just do not worry about those hunger pangs and get into IF. Let me know after a couple of weeks how you feel
Thanks graaja. I've done about 3 weeks of 16:8 fasting (with 2-3 days of OMAD) now and the results are tremendous. I feel a lot better- my energy levels are high and my appetite is under control. I've easily lost 3-4 Kgs during this period.

Hunger pangs are still a random occurrence when my body is craving for some sugar in terms of cookies/ice-cream which I have cut by 80% during this period. I've been eating brown rice since the 7-8 months and 5 spoons of brown rice really helps me get through the day. I'm a vegetarian and want to avoid fats from dairy - besides nuts, what are the other sources of fats to eat during my day?

Once again, thanks for being a great inspiration. You solved the missing piece in my puzzle.
landcruiser123 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 06:17   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Thanks graaja. I've done about 3 weeks of 16:8 fasting (with 2-3 days of OMAD) now and the results are tremendous. I feel a lot better- my energy levels are high and my appetite is under control. I've easily lost 3-4 Kgs during this period.

Hunger pangs are still a random occurrence when my body is craving for some sugar in terms of cookies/ice-cream which I have cut by 80% during this period. I've been eating brown rice since the 7-8 months and 5 spoons of brown rice really helps me get through the day. I'm a vegetarian and want to avoid fats from dairy - besides nuts, what are the other sources of fats to eat during my day?

Once again, thanks for being a great inspiration. You solved the missing piece in my puzzle.
This is fantastic! I am really glad that you have started IF and are finding good change in energy levels and weight. Make this as your lifestyle and you will see fantastic transformation in terms of weight and overall health.

You could add generous amount of ghee or butter in your cooking that will give enough fat. Also, avocado is an excellent source of fat other than dairy and nuts. Can't think of any other fat sources other than dairy and nuts.
graaja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:50   #171
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
I would like to share with you my journey on reversing my Diabetes by following Keto Diet. Attached are the reports.

My initial weight was 96 kg and my height is 6'2. Current weight is 82 kg.
Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey-dia-1.jpg

Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey-dia-2.jpg

Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey-dia-3.jpg

Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey-dia-4.jpg
ChiragM is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 17:12   #172
BHPian

I was wondering why Rice is always the culprit! In my case, I ( 44 years)was always hovering around 69-71 kgs with all the excesses at the belly. I am 5.6 and was always a gym rat.
Meals would include a healthy breakfast of Poha/Eggs/Sandwich and all fancy stuff, 2 chapatis for lunch and 2 for dinner. Stayed off rice, etc etc.
During lockdown, wife refused to make chapattis and we switched to Rice for the convenience. The Breakfast was replaced with Boiled eggs for everyone everyday( again due to convenience). Sunday would be a fancier egg preparation.
Coming back to Rice, we stopped with the pressure cooker type, but prepare it like the Bengali cuisine do it (remove the starch to death by boiling and changing water 4-5 times. Correction required if that is not what Bengalis do). Resultant Rice is extremely light weight. Eat Maharashtrian Varan along with any vegetable or Fish fry or if fish curry is made, then no Daal. Dinner is now what breakfast used to be. Soup/Sandwiches/Sabudana Khichadi or Grilled chicken/fish or once in a while Ready to eat Kababs or other cold store products.
Along with this I started following a youtuber called sydney cummings for her exercise plans everyday.
I am now at 61 kgs with 2 sets of ab biscuits and a wonderful definition overall.Never felt stronger like this before and don't feel the need to go to the Gym anymore, as I have the required set of dumbells at home itself.
I consume 2 scoops of whey, BCAA during workout, peanuts and roasted chana or plain paneer cubes when hungry in the evening.
Well, my point of writing all of the above is, that rice is not the culprit.
As Rujuta Divekar says, your body needs what is local to your region. Donot eat foreign objects.
P.S.:
1)My Tea's and Coffees are with Milk, but without sugar, always.
2) Portion sizing also matters. I eat moderately lesser than before.
3) Pro-Tip: If you've been invited for Drinks and Dinner/Lunch, eat a few eggs omlette or equivalent Veg meal and go. Never go hungry for a meal outside your home. You'll end up eating all the wrong foods/portions.
4) I haven't cut out on alcohol, but stopped eating chakna, as I have stopped drinking on an empty stomach.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 16th December 2020 at 17:23.
riteshritesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 17:35   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Well, my point of writing all of the above is, that rice is not the culprit.
If I understand your diet right, the portion of rice in your diet is quite small compared to other good stuff like eggs, chicken and fish you take. And add to that your workout and zero sugar part, it makes total sense. So you should continue with what you are doing right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this in.
To the TBHP fan: Thank you so much for sharing your story of reversing diabetes. This will be a good motivation to many others!

Last edited by graaja : 16th December 2020 at 17:38.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 17:15   #174
Team-BHP Support

This week’s update. Have been doing 18:6 every day (usually it stretches to 19 or 20 hours) with my workout at the end of fasting window. This routine feels good. Energy levels are good during the walks, runs or the calisthenics training. As I am preparing for my annual pilgrimage, I am on a vegetarian diet. So it has a big portion of carbs. Overall, a good week.

Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey-history.jpg

Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey-activitie.jpg

Have also been focusing on Calisthenics for improving strength, and animal flow movements to improve mobility. These are some aspects that I have been ignoring for many years when I was focusing on my Triathlons. The heel injury was a blessing in disguise. I started focusing on strength and mobility only because I had to suspend all Triathlon activities due to injury. Seeing decent improvement in strength. I am able to do 7 unassisted pull-ups now (zero a few months back), can hold a basic tuck planche for 10 seconds, and can do 10 planche push ups.

Tried this a couple of days back and to my surprise, was able to pull it off

Name:  ezgif.comgifmaker.gif
Views: 1043
Size:  5.10 MB
graaja is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:32   #175
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hello Graaja,

What do you consume during those extended fasting periods of 36 or 48 hours?

Is it limited to only black tea, green tea, black coffee etc. or can something else be consumed(eg. Buttermilk) as well?
Old 21st December 2020, 11:10   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hello Graaja,

What do you consume during those extended fasting periods of 36 or 48 hours?

Is it limited to only black tea, green tea, black coffee etc. or can something else be consumed(eg. Buttermilk) as well?
Apart from the black coffee and green tea, I take a couple of glasses of lime juice with salt. This is mainly for the salt. Lime is to make it edible

Buttermilk is not allowed as it would break your fast.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:31   #177
BHPian

Quote:
This week’s update. Have been doing 18:6 every day (usually it stretches to 19 or 20 hours) with my workout at the end of fasting window. This routine feels good. Energy levels are good during the walks, runs or the calisthenics training. As I am preparing for my annual pilgrimage, I am on a vegetarian diet. So it has a big portion of carbs. Overall, a good week.

Attachment 2095030

Attachment 2095028

Have also been focusing on Calisthenics for improving strength, and animal flow movements to improve mobility. These are some aspects that I have been ignoring for many years when I was focusing on my Triathlons. The heel injury was a blessing in disguise. I started focusing on strength and mobility only because I had to suspend all Triathlon activities due to injury. Seeing decent improvement in strength. I am able to do 7 unassisted pull-ups now (zero a few months back), can hold a basic tuck planche for 10 seconds, and can do 10 planche push ups.

Tried this a couple of days back and to my surprise, was able to pull it off

Attachment 2095029

This seems to be some mobile app. Can you share which one is this please?
Old 21st December 2020, 11:54   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
This seems to be some mobile app. Can you share which one is this please?
The app is “Zero”

https://www.zerofasting.com/
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 18:09   #179
BHPian

Hi graaja,
After one month of IF which is a 5 hour window for 5 days, 6 hour window for 2 days I switched to Keto though still not total but after starting Keto it has become more easier than before which is surprising. Still with one cheat meal with liquor (read social) during weekends. I really like this schedule and hoping I can maintain it once I join work. But as you rightly pointed out avoiding spikes of insulin goes a long way to keep the fast and it gets easier. Cycling on a regular basis and considering to start weight training next month. Your post came at the right time and pushed me in the right direction. Looking forward for more insights.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 18:23   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
. I'm a vegetarian and want to avoid fats from dairy - besides nuts, what are the other sources of fats to eat during my day?
Hi,
Being vegan its a bit tough but not impossible. For fat rich vegan diet look for Avocado, Olives, all kind of nuts ( I prefer lightly salted), Tofu, Sunflower seeds, Chia seeds, But based butter, Tofu, Coconut, Flax seed. This is what I can think of while there may be others which other members can add.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks