Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Continue corporate job in Dubai 11 22.45%
Go for PhD in Europe 38 77.55%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 12:14   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: PhD Degree at a European University or continue working in Dubai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
But in the end of the day, having a PhD in the marine science/aquaculture sphere is a huge benefit and at some point even a necessity.
Well, all the best on your academic journey. The only marine biologist I know is from this star trek movie. If some day a space ship comes back from the future looking for whales, they will need experts like you.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th December 2020 at 12:15.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, all the best on your academic journey.
Thanks Samurai

Quote:
The only marine biologist I know is from this star trek movie. If some day a space ship comes back from the future looking for whales, they will need experts like you.
We are indeed an extremely rare and interesting breed who spend their weekends looking for mermaids
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:54   #48

I was once in a similar situation, decided to stay back in India against going to the UK. The patriotism in me made me stay put, I have to say I should have gone to the UK when I did have the chance. I was 26 back then and I was like a small kid who was satisfied with a toffee, post 30s the reality struck me that financially you need fairly deep pockets to live in India such as house, food, medicals etc. I would advice going to PhD in EU which comes entitled with better lifestyle and tolerable tension. While I understand post PhD the job prospect is always a gray area, I'm pretty sure staying in EU will be a better place to be in considering at one point you can even stay there for good as a citizen which in Dubai is not possible. While its good to look into the immediate future but do have a peripheral vision on where you'd like to settle once you start a family.

The gratification will be sure but delayed from PhD, Dubai might sound easy to be at the moment. But these are my understanding from my experience, do take it with a pinch of salt. All the best.
abbyanish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 17:10   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, In the end, I have decided to go ahead with the PhD.
Good luck young man and wish you all the best. I am sure you'll do very well saving our precious oceans and the life forms in them.

Hope to see ya on Nat Geo, a BBC documentary or the Discovery Channel some day. I am a keen follower of documentaries on the ocean. I love the sea!

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 17:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Good luck young man and wish you all the best. I am sure you'll do very well saving our precious oceans and the life forms in them.

Hope to see ya on Nat Geo, a BBC documentary or the Discovery Channel some day. I am a keen follower of documentaries on the ocean. I love the sea!

Cheers!
Thanks a lot R2D2

Can't promise you on the documentaries but I'll surely try my best to do what I can to save our oceans
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 20:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

In the end, I have decided to go ahead with the PhD.
Congrats and all the best.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 13:41   #52

Quote:
Hi everyone,

In the end, I have decided to go ahead with the PhD.
Congratulations on having the mind clear and deciding to go for the PhD.

Having done a PhD after a 3-4 years of experience in Industry and being back to industry after a long PhD. I felt I should put in my thoughts. I have been in India through out though.

0. PhD is a life within life, each student will have a PhD experience of his own. Some PhDs are longer. Mean should be around 5 years.

1. Be happy and always be optimistic, there will be trying times where you will question whether joining PhD is the right step or not. Time will pass for good but dont allow too much time to pass.

2. Part of the problem will be, there will be no fixed syllabus or duration, that requires you to push and find your limits (this might look simple but could be frustrating). Once you understand the focus area within your area of specialization, it will typically take 2-3 years to work, experiment, publish, write thesis and then defend.
If you or your guide have identified a well defined problem, your PhD duration will reduce significantly.

3. Your guide and colleagues can make your life a lot easier (or tougher). You will benefit having a good guide and helpful seniors/ colleagues.

4. Irrespective of the treatment you receive from the colleagues, be helpful to them and to the juniors, you will be happy again.

5. Try to be flexible outside your area of PhD work, keep track of what the targeted companies are working on. This will help you to get back into the industry.

6. Be prepared for some rejections, quality publications will require quality work and you might hear some rejections after waiting for long time. Take no shortcuts here.

7. Try to be among positive people. If you ever feel low, they will help you back to track. Donot take PhD too seriously, have a laugh.

8. At the end of PhD donot expect that a red carpet will be rolled out for getting back into the industry. Things could not be too simple. Develop a strong network with people in your university and outside. Attending conferences will help get some exposure.

9. Be ready to see lot of people of your age or less to have made good progress in life/career while you were slugging it out for PhD at prime earning age. Atleast financially you are more likely to have a setback.

10. It may be helpful to save some money from the start to sail through PhD, in case your PhD outlasts your stipend/assitance.

11. Follow http://phdcomics.com/. for some light related humour.

Oh this is getting longer. But All the Best.
mikeautherton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 14:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeautherton View Post
Congratulations on having the mind clear and deciding to go for the PhD.

Having done a PhD after a 3-4 years of experience in Industry and being back to industry after a long PhD. I felt I should put in my thoughts. I have been in India through out though.

11. Follow http://phdcomics.com/. for some light related humour.

Oh this is getting longer. But All the Best.
Thank you very much mikeautherton for the detailed points. Your points are indeed very helpful in helping me understand what I am getting into (especially the getting back to industry part).

Also thanks for the link I must confess, a lot of my hesitation came from a facebook page on PhD memes some of which scared me a bit!

Last edited by dragracer567 : 20th December 2020 at 14:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks