Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2024, 12:11   #196
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Rendezvous with The Universe | My Astrophotography Hobby

WOW. Looking at all those pictures, I started thinking how small we are and there must be life somewhere in another galaxy. My son is very much interested in these kinds of stuff, for sure I will show him your post today evening.

By the way, 320 looks fab along a side of beautiful country roads

Thanks for sharing.
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 12:27   #197
BHPian

Fabulous images and a great thread. Thank you for documenting this.
adrena is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 18:45   #198
BHPian

Wow. Brilliant photography. A peep into the distant world. Amazing.

Anything related to astro always fascinates me. So many unknowns. So much more to explore. The unfathomable size of universes, the magnitude of space between them is just hard to comprehend. And here we are, sitting on a tiny blue dot, middle of nowhere, clicking these gorgeous pictures, and admiring the beauty of outer space.

If I could wish for a superpower, I would surely ask for the ability to travel faster than speed of light and then explore these different worlds. Crazy me .
Kickdown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 22:37   #199

Thanks graaja for sharing this travelogue and those amazing pictures.
I am travelling to Coorg, for the first time, with family this March. I would love to introduce kids (aged <10) to the this subject so was looking for some recommendations on :
  1. A beginners telescope for kids; I saw some equipment on Amazon but better to get an expert's opinion on this.
  2. Is Coorg generally good for stargazing or do you recommend a specific location. We are not aspiring to reach your level of expertise but a good starting point. I was looking for some homestays in Virajpet or Kushalnagar area. Even Dubare elephant camp was being considered as a 2-night stay option.

Would appreciate your help here. Thanks!
Old 20th February 2024, 06:18   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
WOW. Looking at all those pictures, I started thinking how small we are and there must be life somewhere in another galaxy. My son is very much interested in these kinds of stuff, for sure I will show him your post today evening.
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
Fabulous images and a great thread. Thank you for documenting this.
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickdown View Post
Wow. Brilliant photography. A peep into the distant world. Amazing.

Anything related to astro always fascinates me. So many unknowns. So much more to explore. The unfathomable size of universes, the magnitude of space between them is just hard to comprehend. And here we are, sitting on a tiny blue dot, the middle of nowhere, clicking these gorgeous pictures, and admiring the beauty of outer space.
Thank you for the kind words!

The scale of the Universe - both in space and time is so unimaginable, we are nothing but an insignificant speck of dust in space and time. Whenever something in this world bothers me, all I have to do is look up and that problem becomes insignificant!! Works most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kols View Post
  1. A beginners telescope for kids; I saw some equipment on Amazon but better to get an expert's opinion on this.
  2. Is Coorg generally good for stargazing or do you recommend a specific location. We are not aspiring to reach your level of expertise but a good starting point. I was looking for some homestays in Virajpet or Kushalnagar area. Even Dubare elephant camp was being considered as a 2-night stay option.
Thank you for the kind words.

1. I would highly recommend not to get those budget telescopes to start the hobby. We call them hobby killers as they are good only to look at the moon and the planets. To look at deep space objects, you will need at least an 8" Dobsonian telescope which will require a budget of about 30K and also lots of time and patience, and travel to darker sites.

Instead, I would suggest you get a 10x50 binoculars and explore the night sky. With binoculars, you can spot open clusters, globular clusters, bright nebulae etc. Show your kids the night sky and teach them to identify constellations. When you feel it's time to go to the next step, you can get a good Dobsonian telescope and start driving to darker places and enjoy the night sky and deep space objects.

2. Any place far away from city light pollution is good. If you happen to stay in a place that is far from Madikeri town, you can expect dark skies. While staying in a homestay, if you can get away from ambient light you will be able to see lots of stars.

I would suggest you to attend one of the star parties organized by BAS. They conduct this during weekend closer to new moon every month during winter. They give an introduction of night sky and also some volunteers operate a telescope and show interesting objects. If you can bring your kids to this event for a night, you will be able to get lots of information about the hobby, equipment needed etc.

All the best!
graaja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 10:05   #201
BHPian

Wow. Awesome. My dream is this: I don't know when my dream will come true. Words cannot explain the pictures you have posted.
Old 20th February 2024, 10:15   #202

@graaja Great to see this post surfacing on front page...

Here are some captures after months of trial and errors; upgraded to AM5 strainwave mount and really thinking about investing in a cooled camera.
Also planning a trip to Pench national park in march.

Rendezvous with The Universe | My Astrophotography Hobby-img20240126wa000801.jpeg

Rendezvous with The Universe | My Astrophotography Hobby-leo-triplets01.jpeg

Clear Skies !

Last edited by Quad47 : 20th February 2024 at 10:31. Reason: Context added
Quad47 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 15:48   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

Instead, I would suggest you get a 10x50 binoculars and explore the night sky. With binoculars, you can spot open clusters, globular clusters, bright nebulae etc. Show your kids the night sky and teach them to identify constellations. When you feel it's time to go to the next step, you can get a good Dobsonian telescope and start driving to darker places and enjoy the night sky and deep space objects.

I would suggest you to attend one of the star parties organized by BAS. They conduct this during weekend closer to new moon every month during winter. They give an introduction of night sky and also some volunteers operate a telescope and show interesting objects. If you can bring your kids to this event for a night, you will be able to get lots of information about the hobby, equipment needed etc.

All the best!
Wonderful captures with great patience and diligence Graaja. Your succinct advice above has triggered me in to finding a good pair of 10x50 binoculars. Would one be able to hold them still to appreciate celestial objects or a Tripod is a must? Kindly suggest a good binocular available in India.

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th February 2024, 19:22   #204
BHPian

Thanks Graaja for a great thread. Stunning photos. I have a 4’’ Celestron. Great for looking up planets.
I am thinking of buying the Canon RC8 mirrorless camera for a combination of good general photography and some astrophotography. Space .com says very little noise till iso 5000 to 6000. Kind of hard to believe but I guess it will do for a beginner like me. What would you advise? TIA.
Old 21st February 2024, 12:04   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Wow. Awesome. My dream is this: I don't know when my dream will come true. Words cannot explain the pictures you have posted.
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am sure you will fulfill your dreams soon. All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad47 View Post
Here are some captures after months of trial and errors; upgraded to AM5 strainwave mount and really thinking about investing in a cooled camera.
Also planning a trip to Pench national park in march.
Awesome captures! Great to know you have upgraded to an AM5. Its a very versatile mount which is light weight, but has the same payload capacity of much heavier mounts like EQ6-R Pro, CEM40 etc. I would definitely recommend upgrading to a cooled camera. That will open up a lot of new targets with rich emissions in Ha which a DSLR's IR cut filter would block out.

All the best with your trip to Pench.

I too came to know about the Pench tiger reserve becoming a dark site. Would like to visit Pench some day to shoot tigers in the day time and stars in the night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1kv View Post
Wonderful captures with great patience and diligence Graaja. Your succinct advice above has triggered me in to finding a good pair of 10x50 binoculars. Would one be able to hold them still to appreciate celestial objects or a Tripod is a must? Kindly suggest a good binocular available in India.
Thank you so much for the kind words.

Nikon Aculon is a good choice for a 10x50 binoculars. If you can extend the budget a little more, then Nikon Action series is also a good choice.

For 10x50, you can manage hand held. If you go for any higher magnification or heavier binoculars, you wll need a tripod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Thanks Graaja for a great thread. Stunning photos. I have a 4’’ Celestron. Great for looking up planets.
I am thinking of buying the Canon RC8 mirrorless camera for a combination of good general photography and some astrophotography. Space .com says very little noise till iso 5000 to 6000. Kind of hard to believe but I guess it will do for a beginner like me. What would you advise? TIA.
Thank you for the kind words. Its great to know you have a Celestron 4" telescope and are interested in Astronomy. Hope we get to meet some day.

Not sure about the Canon R8, but I have a Canon R6, and it has a very good noise performace at high ISOs. I shoot Milky Way pictures at 1600 or 3200 ISO and the noise performance is good. If the reviews of R8 say it has good noise performance, it should be good to get.

What type of targets are you planning to shoot with the R8? A DSLR or mirrorless on a tripod is suitable for wide angle (focal length below 25mm) landscape pictures and timelapses of Milky Way. If you want to shoot any deep space objects at a longer focal length like 100+ mm, then you will need a tracker like Skyguider Pro or Star Adventurer. Also, the IR cut filters in front of the camera sensor will cut off the signals coming from the emission lines of Hydrogen. So, you will be limited to broadband target. Having said that, if you have a star tracker, you will have lots of targets to shoot.

Let me know any questions you have on equipment selection. I will be glad to answer.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 12:53   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
All the best!
Thanks graaja; I assumed it was easy to pick up a 10x50 binoculars but I was ignorant about the expanse of specs and models offered! Have shortlisted Nikon ActionEX (porro-prism)and Prostaff (roof-prism) and will check them out at an experience store nearby. Some binocular-specific forums mentioned that 7x and 8x models work better than 10x ones as they offer wider better depth of field which could be a boon for inexperienced hands trying to find a spot in the sky. Do you see it the same way? Thanks again for your advise; your post couldn't have come at a better time
Old 23rd February 2024, 17:27   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kols View Post
Have shortlisted Nikon ActionEX (porro-prism)and Prostaff (roof-prism) and will check them out at an experience store nearby. Some binocular-specific forums mentioned that 7x and 8x models work better than 10x ones as they offer wider better depth of field which could be a boon for inexperienced hands trying to find a spot in the sky.
Between the ActionEX and Prostaff, go for ActionEX. Roof prism binoculars lose a little more light to reflection than a porro prism binocular and hence are not suitable for astronomy.

7x or 8x would be too wide for some small objects like globular clusters or smaller open clusters. In the BAS group with several experienced visual observers, 10x50 is the most recommended configuration for beginning visual observation. I have a 10x50 ActionEx and find it comfortable and steady enough for visual observation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks