Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 06:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to buy a car that your spouse wants

Longer Drives

At some point, I decided it was a good idea to meet my friend in Pune. Or Poona. So I made a trip there. That’s when this car really come into its element. Set your cruise control, open up your panoramic roof, and sing loudly off-key to whatever is on that beautiful Burmester system.

My friend is an excellent driver, so we spent time driving around Pune or Poona, with me enjoying the back seat.

How to buy a car that your spouse wants-img_20200927_233101.jpg
Me enjoying the back seat. It truly is a special place.

How to buy a car that your spouse wants-img_20200928_004101.jpg
Absolutely essential at all times. Pro tip: the 24 hr Shell while exiting Pune or Poona has them.

We repeat this often when he comes over. If it’s of any interest, I’ve seen up to 19 kmpl with sedate driving, but the car averages 8 in town and 12 on the highway, mostly because I’m not very sedate.

Here are some gratuitous photographs of a vRS and the E. The Skoda has been ceramic coated and the red really pops!

How to buy a car that your spouse wants-00000img_00000_burst20201116004305301_cover.jpg

How to buy a car that your spouse wants-img_20201116_00500101.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2021 at 07:31. Reason: Removing dead attachment link :). Thanks for sharing!
v1p3r is offline   (168) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 07:34   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats to your better half on buying the best limo in the market .
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 08:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

What a cracking write up. I absolutely loved it. Would you mind sharing what the landed cost of the 350d ended up at? If you don’t mind that is. Hope to meet you sometime at a T BHP meet up or something and see the lovely 350d up close.

I know a colleague had bought a petrol E at a stunning price a couple of years ago where he only paid 50% of the final discounted price up front and the finance scheme basically was a genuine interest free loan of 3 years. Basically balance amount divided by 36 months. This was on the discounted price so even Mercedes can definitely move things around significantly when they want to push out cars at great deals.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th June 2021 at 14:44. Reason: Extra spaces removed. Thanks.
Axe77 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 08:21   #19
Team-BHP Support

This thread reminded me instantly of this old classic thread on Team-BHP https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...our-wives.html (Team-BHP and our wives)

I really enjoyed reading your shortlisting criteria and the post purchase story. Please contribute more and thanks for sharing this lovely story with us .
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations to YW on the new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
the Bang and Olufsen sound system is a notch above even the Merc’s optional Burmester. The BMW’s Harman/Kardon is definitely not in the same league
Just wanted to check- is the Bowers and Wilkins sound system not offered in Volvos in India? From whatever I know, I believe the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus is perfectly engineered.

Quote:
In this, I look like the helper at your local FNG that services Germans, who’s taking it out for a test drive. Once I was told to park properly, ‘nahi toh owner ko batayenge
This reminded me of a similar incident in 2003. I was in coveralls after handling a spill, and was driving my then Esteem out of our company. Security had been instructed to check chauffeur driven cars for suspected pilferage - the engine bay, boot and in random cases, the floor would also be checked. When I reached the gate at approx 3am, the guard there said, "Oye bonnet khol".

Last edited by vigsom : 15th June 2021 at 09:37. Reason: added the sound system bit
vigsom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Couldn't post earlier as I was still rolling on the floor with laughter. You have a very engaging style of writing that keeps the reader riveted begging for more. Hearty congratulations to MW and yourself. I hope you will be allowed to drive this gorgeous car occasionally when you have been a good boy. Many safe miles & smiles to both of you.
V.Narayan is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

This wonderful crackling write up just put a smile on my face here in Calcutta where everything else is gloomy since the monsoons have arrived. A car buying experience and a log of that account felt hilarious to read with all the experiences shared

I went through the write up just like the 530D zoomed through the sea link, just that I was spared the ticket.

Super purchase and many congratulations to you both for a splendid acquisition. Hope you do get to enjoy the back seat comfort more often though
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:28   #23
BHPian

Reading this had me laughing a lot, it seems your wife is the head of the house! Congrats to you and specifically her on the E350d, only sat in it once and I loved the legroom it offered even though I am 6'3. Wish you both many happy miles.

P.S: Never call Pune as Poona, all the Punekars will swarm your house threatening you to delete that word and face consequences.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:38   #24
BHPian

Congrats for a great buy.

By the way, I was reminded that when Wife says Tumhari Marzi, it includes Nahin Chalegee at the end, silently.
I was told that, Black or Grey colour (though it does not look like black) is not advisable in zones with heavy rain as they tend to merge with the rain and are not easy to spot.
But if it is her choice, no words except to respect her choice (remember that even you are one of those great choices).

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 15th June 2021 at 09:41.
Amrik Singh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:42   #25

What a brilliant read to start off a balmy Tuesday morning! This was the kind of thread that leaves me wishing that the writer bought a lot more cars a lot more frequently (with due permission from the good lady, of course)

Congratulations on the beautiful E350d, a land yacht in the truest sense of the term. Wishing the missus and you many happy miles, cheers.
Arreyosambha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:54   #26

Congratulations to both of you on the new car. I smiled all along while reading the thread.
suviswan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:55   #27
BHPian

Congrats to you and YW on her new land yacht. Cavansite Blue really suits Merc's design language to the T. We have a C-Class in the same colour.
I loved the way you told your car buying story, highlighting the fate of each car considered. It really cracked me up
TheGearBox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 09:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
The Lexus ES is a very good car, but again, it's a very expensive and luxurious Camry.
Maybe. There is a big difference when you arrive in a Camry and a Lexus. The L badge does command more respect, if you care for such things. The interior appointments are different too. There is a lot more attention to detail on a Lexus. Where they are really common is the engine. Its the same power plant on both cars so you do feel a bit short changed on the Lexus. The Lexus might be a bit more quiet though owing to better cabin insulation. Not that the Camry is bad. When its running on Hybrid, its like sitting in a small air tight capsule.

Quote:
Every single detail is meant to pamper you.
Indeed. We were car shopping recently and were blown away by what Mercedes have done to their interiors. We did check out a 2018 swb E350e. We were not looking at one but my wife had a go and she was impressed. Mercedes have been doing this for a while now. After the E350 my wife sat in the old 2013 S550 and she said, this is the car I want. It did miss all the fancy screens and that's not something either of us care about. It was the feel and opulence of the cabin that stood out. We took our shoes off just to feel that super soft carpet liner. It was so good even after all these years. In comparison, even a relatively modern BMW 740E with all the toys felt like a down grade in materials. I've realized one thing, you can't beat a Mercedes when it comes to class. There isn't anything like it.

Congratulations.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 10:07   #29
BHPian

v1p3r, you really have a talent in engaging the readers! The dialogues especially, really cracked me up

I shall try to keep these invaluable tips in mind if I eventually decide to settle down!

Oh and congrats on the limo! The OM642 is a beautiful engine to drive, I've driven one in a E350d in Belgium and it was the smoothest diesel I've driven (to be fair, I haven't driven many diesels )!
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 10:21   #30
BHPian

Excellent writeup, the conversations with the spouse were really funny. The best part of the write up was "Editing out MW's head to preserve my own"
Congratulations on the new ride. Cheers!
TheWall is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks