Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2021, 10:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is the true definition of a car person?

My friend in the UK was trying to impress his girlfriend on their first date.

So he spoke about his car - the looks, the performance, the handling, the speed, the remap to the engine, the suspensions mods, the revised brakes, the gearbox remap, the interiors, the steering, etc.

After he finished he asked her: “So what car do you drive?”

She thought a bit and replied: “A blue one..
AMG Power is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 10:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Fun fact: Since he joined Aston Martin this year, he named his car after a bond girl (don't know the name)
It's Honey Ryder

What is the true definition of a car person?-vettel-car-names-1.png

And past names include

What is the true definition of a car person?-vettel-car-names-2.png
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 10:22   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Having a car makes a person a car owner, like having a camera.

We cannot look at the type of car and judge, not can we look at the number of miles they put on every year either. We cannot even judge by the places they visit or the stickers they add to their vehicle or any other mods.

You could have a car guy who takes care of his M800 like a Rolls Royce and treats the AMT commuter hatch like a refrigerator.

I don't know who is a car person, but you can find out if you are one. Just takes a bit of time and several cars in the process.
Old 9th May 2021, 10:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Never get so involved in anything you start inanimate objects (pet) names
Couldn't help but smile at this comment. Daughter's dolls all over the house have names. Heck, the dolls in the stores have names like Barbie. And the cars in someone's garage can't have names? We can't be that serious about things around us!
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 11:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Couldn't help but smile at this comment. Daughter's dolls all over the house have names. Heck, the dolls in the stores have names like Barbie. And the cars in someone's garage can't have names? We can't be that serious about things around us!
Adding more.

Titanic (Ship)
Enola Gay (Aeroplane which dropped the atom bomb)
Herbie (VW beetle)
Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour (Space shuttles)
Sojourner, Spirit and Opportunity, Curiosity, and Perseverance. (Mars rovers)
Aryabhatt (India's first satellite)
Halley's Comet (comet)

Last edited by RedTerrano : 9th May 2021 at 11:14.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 11:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Anybody can name anything if they desire so. I had no idea about these car names in F1. Look at some of these names; Hungry Heidi, Randy Mandy, Luscious Liz?? That is just so sad. Reminds me of the least popular boy in class, trying desperately to look cool, and failing miserably.

Naming a car is one thing, calling your car your friend is another thing. What is next, we are going to introduce our named cars to our parents?

I have owned cars, planes and boats. Never named them. Except one of my boats which I called Titanic 4.

I did not want to be seen as a Rookie by our local yacht club, so I thought I better use a well known name and add a number, suggesting I have had three prior. Not quite sure it worked that well, for some reason nobody wanted to have the moorings on either side of us.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 9th May 2021 at 11:56.
Jeroen is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 08:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin-turbo View Post
Whenever I browse any social media sites nowadays, I see that people on social media like to define a car person as a person who only loves Japanese cars like the Supra or the Mazda Rx-7. This is the most common perception of a car person on the internet nowadays. Internet influencers, fanboys, kids, everyone who has a budding interest in cars - all seem to think that only if you love these Japanese cars, will you be accepted into the car community.
I too have seen this happening a lot lately, and it's mostly among people my age.
There seems to be a certain "cool" factor associated with being a "JDM lover" nowadays.

To a certain degree, this is a good thing as it gets more and more people interested in cars and they learn more about cars because of this interest.

The problem is with those fake enthusiasts. Whenever something becomes "cool" there are bound to be fakers who act like they know stuff just to be "cool"

But what really gets on my nerves is that as a kid, I was made fun of being too into cars. I would randomly make car exhaust sounds to a point people wouldn't sit with me in class
And the same people today post stories about being car lovers and come to me asking what that particular car is

Jokes aside though, I mostly think it's a good thing because it expands this community.
Gamerk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 09:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

Irrespective of the brand if someone loves that feeling of getting behind the wheel, appreciate the idea of driving around, s/he is a car person in my opinion. That appreciation and happiness can be derived from a Ferrari Roma or a Skoda Octavia or a Suzuki Swift.

A slightly advanced car person will get a bit choosier, will appreciate good driving dynamics, handling and related bits. For e.g., they will detest driving a car with pedestrian power, bad lifeless steering or a boat like handling.

It’s the same in other aspects/interests as well. My friend here is a coffee person, and she loves anything that remotely smell like a coffee. I am a coffee person as well but will go for a Starbucks or Nespresso pods only if there is absolutely no chance of getting a good coffee.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 10:25   #24
BHPian

If you turn around and glance at your car every time you park it somewhere or while passing by it then you are a Car person.
Gaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 10:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

I guess this topic is a bit subjective. There are automobile enthusiasts who tinker around with their car, know their mods, and what not. And then there are folks like me, who do not do any of this, probably ride around in sedate cars like the Creta, but just love driving, being possessive about the car that you own so much so that no one else can drive your car, get very restless about that faint sound which no service executive can hear, ensure that the car is cleaner than your bedroom probably and so on. So, to each his own, and plus, if you are a car person, well you got to be a bhpian! This is where we love our cars!
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 10:51   #26
BHPian

In my opinion, a car person is one who loves his/her car, enjoys driving and feels relaxed during the drive. On many occasions, when I am down, my spouse asks me to go on a long drive to rejuvenate myself. It works, and I feel fresh and get new perspectives to deal with the situations in hand. An early morning drive really works.
Old 11th May 2021, 11:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

For me the definition loosely revolves around a person who engages with a car, whichever car, to -

a) understand, appreciate and exploit it's full potential,
b) then brings her back home and tends to her.

Anyone else is just a User!

Last edited by roy_libran : 11th May 2021 at 11:23.
Old 11th May 2021, 11:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Anybody can name anything if they desire so.
When I was a little kid I always thought of driving a HM Contessa and slept off with those thoughts in mind. Coming from a middle class family of a Government official only car I could sit was the Mahindra Jeep.

Today I have been driving for more than 15 years and have driven decent Kms in n number of cars. I have named all my cars because I felt every car had a specific aura to it.

My cars are not my friends (As Jereon rightly mentioned) and I cant talk to an inanimate object but I can talk about cars for hours with my friends and maybe this makes me a car person? I may not know all the mechanics, techniques and parts of Automobiles but I do know few things about cars which are closer to my heart.

I get a rush when I drive after a 8-10 days break (During lockdown these days), I love revving the engine and cut those corners, I love driving sedately listening to Rafi and Manna Dey.

May be I am in love with my car Maybe I Live to Drive Maybe I am a Car Person.
Old 11th May 2021, 11:51   #29
BHPian

To me, it can be someone who has even a simple appreciation for cars right up until someone who can spend 30 mins talking about what type of suspension is best. I think anyone who can answer the Team-BHP joining questions easily can be considered to be a car person.

As long as I can have a simple appreciative conversation about a fine piece of engineering with someone, I'm a happy man!
Old 11th May 2021, 12:24   #30
BHPian

A few days back I encountered an MBA type on LinkedIn trying to extract marketing lessons from a silly (even offensive) social media post. No offence to MBAs, I am one myself though I think we sometimes take our degrees too seriously, letting them define us and trying to see everything from that lens.

Nevertheless, in complete contradiction to what I professed earlier, let me use this typical MBA type quadrant to explain various types of 'true car persons'. By no means this is exhaustive and my insights are restricted by the presentation medium, which is more important than the insight itself.

BTW, I fall into the bottom left quadrant.
Mods - please excuse the slang.

What is the true definition of a car person?-quadrant.jpg

Last edited by Malyaj : 11th May 2021 at 12:33. Reason: Typos
Malyaj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks