Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 13:37   #46
BHPian

Re: What is the true definition of a car person?

"A car person is one for whom the most comfortable place in the world is always behind the wheel with full emphasis on the word, 'always' and the least of it on the make/type of the car."

Now when I have typed this out, I get the feel that this is more an extension of my love of driving rather than being all about being a car person, but I will just let this be. Surely, a kid who doesn't know anything about driving yet, is also a car person. I too was one, as we all have been, at some point in our lives.
Old 12th May 2021, 15:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

You are a car person when people in office/society approach you for advice on all things related to cars.

You know you are a car person when anything on wheels excites you! Yes trucks buses, autos, bicycles..all of these excite me.
You are car person when you love drawing, but all you draw on most occasions is an automobile.

Even at age of 40, you look forward to your next scale model
You take a leave for your yearly car service and stay in the service centre enjoying the process.

The only thing that comes to your mind when gifting kids - are cars! ( I have gifted scale models to even girls!)
You pride on being a teambhp member since long

Last edited by silverado : 12th May 2021 at 15:29.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 17:43   #48
BHPian

Nobody can define a car person.

If you are one you know it. You love your car or love seeing any nice car on the road you're a car person.

You know what's wrong with your by the sound, You're a car person.

I love my Thar like crazy. I loved my 13 year old Optra. I look up the M340i daily and i still like to drive my Verna petrol MT.

You are the first person someone thinks of for car advise, you're definitely a car guy.

You know when the story behind every scratch on your beloved car.

You don't need to be a JDM fan or a muscle car fan or a crazy offroader to be defined as a car person.

Someone who liked the looks of cars is as much a car person as an adrenaline junky.
Old 12th May 2021, 17:55   #49
BHPian

For me, a car person is someone who can Drive, understand the basics and who is interested in learning more. And Not just a User.

As a child, we all start with minimum 5 motor skills . So, it is natural for us grow along with it.

On a different + lighter note, can share some perspective here:

1. Am I a cyclist, because drove 2000 kms in 20 days (OR) find harmony for hours in wheels.

Name:  0TbhpCycling.png
Views: 312
Size:  377.4 KB
https://www.ishaoutreach.org/en/isha...ng-2-fundraise

2. Am i a photographer, by clicking a good shot (OR) have a liking towards mother nature.

Name:  0TbhpPhotographing.png
Views: 318
Size:  611.5 KB
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...y-travels.html (Len's view of my travels)

3. Am i a cook, by taking part in a competition (OR) make kids at home finish their plate !

Name:  0TbhpCooking.png
Views: 296
Size:  618.2 KB

4. Am I a car person, by having in-depth knowledge of the vehicle (OR) sense a thread coming out of hand stitched steering wheel leather

Name:  0TbhpCaring.png
Views: 309
Size:  146.5 KB

As humans, we are gifted to be sensible, responsible and express ourselves. So, CAR-ing is in-built quality
gjiyap1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 18:40   #50
Senior - BHPian

I guess if you look forward to your drives and enjoy them, you are a car person. No matter your knowledge on cars, the basic question is - do you enjoy driving? If the answer is yes, then you are a car guy/girl.
Old 12th May 2021, 19:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people love driving however there are different driving styles. To me for you to be car person, you have to take care of your car atleast. You need to ensure that your vehicle is in good condition based on your ability, have mechanical empathy and an interest to know your vehicle over time. Which car doesn't matter.

If you 'regularly' use your car for things it is not designed to, drive rash, go over portholes and speed breakers without slowing down, keep it dirty especially inside, don't get it serviced on time or not do periodic maintenance, no matter how much you love to drive or join car websites, you are far from being a car guy in my books.

Sorry, but I am those people who judge people not by their shoes but by how they have kept their cars.
Old 12th May 2021, 21:10   #52
BHPian

A car person to me is anyone that looks at a car as something more than just a mode of transport that gets you from A to B.

Simple.
mjk24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 13:04   #53
BHPian

A car person is someone who

1. Adores his car.
2. Take cares of his car.
3. Annoyed by a small scratch on the car.
4. Enjoy reading about and try to gain more knowledge about it.
5. More enthusiastic to share the knowledge to others.

The list goes on.
Well this is applicable for anyone who loves or enjoys their passion.
kphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 17:20   #54

As per me, a car person is anyone who finds cars interesting. Period.

I have friends who drive all the time, but don't know the difference between an Audi and a BMW. Being a driver dont make you a car person. I also know kids who know about all the cars in the market.

So i guess it is the interest that matters.
HeisenBerg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 18:13   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
A car person is someone who

1. Adores his car.
2. Take cares of his car.
3. Annoyed by a small scratch on the car.
4. Enjoy reading about and try to gain more knowledge about it.
5. More enthusiastic to share the knowledge to others.
One very important point has been missed. A car person is conciderate to other road users, be it a new driver or a grandmother out on her Sunday drive. He does not lose his head if others make a mistake on the road.

A car person is not only a person who adores his car but also knows how to use it in a safe manner. He shows empathy in traffic and understands that not everybody thinks like him.
Old 21st May 2021, 17:23   #56
BHPian

It may be difficult to quote definition here of a car enthusiast here. For some people it may be owning Luxury cars for few it may be driving furiously etc..

I am a car ( rather Heavy vehicles ) enthusiast, and I have come a long way in dedicating my life to Automobiles. Right from my childhood I had passion for heavy vehicles and I could successfully turn my Passion into my profession. Here it goes....

- My passion for automobiles started during my school days, having HRTC (Himachal Road Transport Corporation) workshop just close to my home.
Often we kids used to enter the workshop and wanted to see the maintenance of buses.

- Fast forward.. to go into Automobile sector, I pursued Mechanical Engineering and had my Industrial trainings/projects in the HRTC workshop (4th semester) & a Tractor Company (Indofarm Tractors & Motors) in 8th semester.

- Now (since the last 10 yrs), I am working with one of the world's largest manufacturers of Heavy Earthmoving Machinery (Construction & Mining Equipment) and work closely with Vehicle Design team . My area of expertise is Vehicle Regulations, Homologation & Product compliance.

- For my personal interest I keep exploring about the Regulatory & Standards requirement for cars & Motorcycles as well be it CMVR (Central Motor Vehicle Rules), FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) or ECE regulations.

So it all depends how you want to pursue your enthusiasm, I did it my way.
Old 4th March 2024, 20:08   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
As with everything in life; if you think of yourself as a car person, that is good enough. Don’t worry what others say or think or put out on the Internet. There is no official definition. It is one of those things that are only relevant to you.

Although, I do become a little worried when I read your definition of where your car becoming “your friend”. Do you give you car names? For friends, stick to people I would advise. I know for a fact, 100% dead certain your car, no matter how much you love it, doesn’t give a hoot about you!

My wife calls my classic Mercedes Brünhilda. Which I hate, because she is taking the Mickey out of her. Me hating that is totally irrational, obviously.

If you want to have a great definition of a car person go with this: Somebody with an irrational behaviour and attitude towards cars

Jeroen
I think your last line is the most perfect definition of what we call a car enthusiast ( i personally going to use it everywhere please dont mind it )
Old 4th March 2024, 20:50   #58
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Me?
Car person?
Decidedly and Resoundingly so! Completely consumed by automobilia and all things related!
Attached Thumbnails
What is the true definition of a car person?-img_4139.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 07:55   #59
BHPian

Car person Each has their own identity. For me

1. I buy a car which I could keep almost to their life cycle. Have maintained this till date.
2. There are times when alone in a car , I love to listen soundness of tyres rolling rather than listening to music. Trust me this is the best time I enjoy with my car. Especially at night.

Rest are of course Standered emotions and care like most others on this forum.

Last edited by Satkaj : 5th March 2024 at 07:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks