Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2021, 12:31   #31
BHPian

Re: What is the true definition of a car person?

Someone who enjoys anything on wheels? Someone who wouldn't want anybody else to wash/detail their ride? Who takes the longer route to the grocery shop to ensure operating temperature is achieved? Someone who wouldn't let anybody else ride their car? Someone who would treat someone else's car as theirs?
drift87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 12:41   #32
BHPian

I've always disliked the notion that a true definition of a petrolhead is one who's owned an Alfa Romeo in his lifetime. In a way, this tries to convey perseverance and dedication towards making it work out with his/her troublemaker Alfa. But to be honest, how many of us actually have access to this marquee in our country or in other countries? Not everyone!

A true car enthusiast is one who has shown dedication and perseverance with his/her special troublemaker, regardless of who manufactured it.
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:26   #33
BHPian

If you can remember your first car better than your first girlfriend/boyfriend (name, moods, likes/dislikes, quirks) then you are definitely a car person.

And yes, cars have moods, likes and dislikes . Ask any car person
NDK286 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:46   #34
BHPian

There are some people who gets driving license because they’re forced by someone else or they had no other option.
Then there are others who go to apply for driving license on their 18th birthday.
This says enough how much were they waiting for that moment in their life.
Vasanth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 14:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

If you can ID each variant of VW Polo in India you are a car person or if you can spot Thar DI amongst the sea of CRDes.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 16:01   #36
BHPian

If you like cars, you are a car person. But why be concerned about whether you are one? If you think about it, such a label doesn't really make any difference in your life, does it? I love cars, love drives, and yet I have not really thought about whether I am a car person or not. It is all in the mind.
eyeman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am an automotive and motorsport enthusiast, and I used to be an automotive and motorsport professional. I would assume that qualifies me to be a 'car person'. Of course, nothing's really changed over the last few decades - I remain as fascinated by automobiles and aircraft today as when I was a small child trying to ride his bicycle just a little faster over a speed bump.

I actually think about the definition of a 'car person' or gearhead or petrolhead or pistonhead quite often. Some of my pondering is because this has now become a fashionable and somewhat abused self-certification that I detest, just as much as the blighted 'foodie' term. If someone starts talking about cars I normally exit quietly, so that my ears don't bleed with the cliches they've picked up (usually from Clarkson) about RWD, Alfas, Senna, and a bunch of other things that they will gleefully parrot.

I've realised that I derive joy from operating any vehicle. Whether it's a shopping cart that I try to oversteer after balancing the loads inside appropriately, or a Formula car that is slightly faster but just as precariously balanced, I approach each of them with the same joy and awe. This feeling was present when I first began driving, when I bought my first car, when I raced my first race, and I think it'll remain until I can no longer drive. When I want to push myself, I will select an empty winding road and a sharp car, and when I want to relax on a commute, I will cocoon myself in a barge and crank up the volume. My cars are a safe space, and a source of joy. I think that sums up what being a 'car person' means to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Anybody can name anything if they desire so. I had no idea about these car names in F1. Look at some of these names; Hungry Heidi, Randy Mandy, Luscious Liz?? That is just so sad. Reminds me of the least popular boy in class, trying desperately to look cool, and failing miserably.
I think it's all a bit tongue in cheek. RBR had Webber and Ricciardo and Vettel, all of whom have a sneaky and irreverent sense of humour. Childish? Yes. Entertaining? I think so. On the other hand, I have never once named any of my cars, and don't refer to them as '(s)he'. I believe that they are machines. But then, I also believe that machines have souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have owned cars, planes and boats. Never named them. Except one of my boats which I called Titanic 4.

I did not want to be seen as a Rookie by our local yacht club, so I thought I better use a well known name and add a number, suggesting I have had three prior. Not quite sure it worked that well, for some reason nobody wanted to have the moorings on either side of us.
That's the funniest thing I've read in a week!

Last edited by v1p3r : 11th May 2021 at 19:06.
v1p3r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 20:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin-turbo View Post
This is my first post. I would like to know your thoughts on this.
You're a car person if you remember people by the cars they own, rather than their own names!
Old 11th May 2021, 21:35   #39

Nice discussion! For me,

i. A car person is someone who would always admire a good car when he sees one.

ii. He will always click on an interesting car/auto story even in the middle of a heavy work day.

iii. He would always be excited about a new car irrespective of the brand

iv. And, he would never be happy with his car even if it's just one day old
varsin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 21:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

There is no true definition of a car person. Anyone & everyone is a self proclaimed car person. If you want to be part of a cult, please do so and enjoy in a responsible manner.

People are interested in different aspects of cars - I like driving (trips) and doing some basic maintenance, but I’m not interested in F1. A shiny, well maintained classic car (or even well maintained 20 year old cars) will excite me more than a multi-million dollar sports car.

We had another discussion on similar lines: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-imposter.html (Ever felt like an imposter?)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 11th May 2021 at 22:00.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 02:01   #41
BHPian

First of all welcome to Team Bhp !
Your question takes me down the memory lane to all those instances like the feel of taking the new car out of the showroom , the hurt you feel deep down in your heart when the car bottoms out in a pot hole , the smile you get when you press the accelerator to the metal and stick to the driver seat on an empty stretch.

For most people car is an instrument which takes them from Point A to Point B but when I realized that for me it is the emotional and complex connection which I feel whenever I enter as a driver or a passenger in the car. It has protected me , absorbed my tantrums, gave me company on those lonely evenings and happy musical weekends.

It's not just a machine it is an Emotion!
Old 12th May 2021, 06:19   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the true definition of a car person?-fiesta-img_0389_1.jpg

Many years ago, I used to own a Fiesta 1.6 that had an aftermarket exhaust.

One day I parked my car on the roadside, and I see a boy who was may be around 11 years old, park his bicycle in front of my car and walk towards me.

This total stranger of a kid comes up to me and asks what’s different about that sound this car made since he hasn’t heard that kind of a note before and strikes a conversation. I offered him to have a go at the gas pedal in the parked car. He was elated to rev the nuts out of the engine. Lol. Poor neighbors though. He thanked and walked away smiling.

This kid doesn’t even know the term JDM exists but in my eyes he’s a car person.

I used to work for the IT division of the Ford Motor Company and I can’t explain how shocking it was for me to realize that very few people at the company had a passion for cars. Often, I’d get asked why I didn’t get the diesel Fiesta instead.

Many years later, I see myself as that kid when I talk/listen to fellow members at the Drive club I’m part of in Australia. These are folks who drive/professionally race high-performance (~300bhp+) cars and I’m the new kid in the block.

Don’t measure one’s love for cars by academic knowledge. I’m an Electronics and Communications engineer as per the University and I can confirm that I have no passion for that field.

If someone thinks that one isn’t a car-person if you don’t like JDM cars then that’s your cue to check out of that group/environment. But, don't complain if it's a JDM/Supra club and they expect you to love JDM cars.

One of the best videos I've seen about the connection between cars and car lovers.

Last edited by kiku007 : 12th May 2021 at 06:45.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:26   #43

On a very personal note, to me a car person is someone who loves the feel of the steering wheel in their hands, the feel of the road....someone who perks up everytime the car topic comes round...be it their own or someone else's or simply discussing the latest safari ad... anything.

Loved the original post, something i have felt for a long time
Old 12th May 2021, 12:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

If your wife starts telling people that your first wife is your car then your are definitely a car person.. (guilty!)

Personally I think I was born a car person. As a kid all I needed was a car to keep me busy and apparently one of the first words I spoke was 'car'! Pursued this line and glad to be working in the auto field as well.

In short completely agree with Smartcat - if you can hold a car conversation for 10 minutes you have your answer!
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 12:42   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

It's one of those things that you either are or aren't. There is no middle ground.

For example: I was always a car person. From playing with my cousin's scale models as a kid to being able to identify every model in my neighbourhood (Mumbai in the 1980s didn't have that many) to completely bypassing the motorbike phase and starting to drive first our family car at 18 and later my own cars, it was clear to me I was a car person. And I didn't discover Team BHP till my mid-30s, mind you!

My technical knowledge about cars is middling at best (who needs it when you have access to the forum and its members!) but I drive over 15K a year, maintain my cars in good running condition and have enough working knowledge about my car's tyres & wheels, transmission, features, safe driving practices, etc. Though I must admit that with age some of the magic has reduced: for example, I would be hard pressed to remember the size of the alloys on my 2020 Kia Seltos whereas I can recite precisely the sizes (including upgrades) my 2006 Swift and 2011 Vento, including when I had them reshod and with which brand!

My wife is an excellent driver but insists she is not a car person. But when she drove a friend's i20 she came back complaining that the steering was "dead", which was something that impressed me a lot!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks