Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2007, 21:29   #16
BHPian

I think there was a Helmet campaign a few years back on DD and other Channels, which showed a Water Melon being squashed and the other water melon being squashed with a Helmet cover..! Guess this might knock some sense into the " 2 Wheeler Riders" not only in Chennai, but all across India..!

A few days back - India TV showed a Sardarji, Who claimed to do stunts on his pulsar and wanted to perform for national TV...The dude first did a few wheelies and then stood on the moving bike-trying to do the Bhangra dance, wooopsie ! The man slipped and broke his spine- neck...currently in comatic state in the ICU.

These Hritik and John Freaks will turn the country into a Doom Dhoom zone with senseless behaviour.

The goverment should step up the vigil and educate these fools.
Old 7th June 2007, 21:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

I always wear a helmet though there are times when i don't but i hardly drive 2 wheelers like once in a year.

But helmets should be compulsory. I think there is a BHPIAN (Steroid) had and accident in dubai who is still here coz of his gr8 helmet. So helmets do save lives.
Old 8th June 2007, 02:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I always wear a helmet though there are times when i don't but i hardly drive 2 wheelers like once in a year.
which makes it "you don't wear a helmet once in 3-4 years"
not a bad statistics i say
Old 8th June 2007, 10:13   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You are in serious trouble of people mistaking you for sachin looking for a better job. refrain, please.
Or even shooting a new commercial?
Old 15th July 2007, 23:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
I was among the few guys in Chennai who felt happy at the Govt's decision to make helmets mandatory for all two wheeler rider's (pillion riders as well) from 1st June.

I thought the idiots who refuse to wear helmets will have no choice now but to safeguard their heads....

I now cant help feeling frustrated at the scene on the roads....

8 out of 10 people riding 2 wheelers now do have helmets on their heads....but 6 out these 8 have the helmet straps dangling down their necks not fastened as they should be...

the other day i saw a man on a Max 100 with an open face helmet "placed" on his head the other way round (a-la US cap style). This guy also gets scot free past the cops who stand eagle eyed waiting for bald heads (guys without helmets i mean)

and then there's this guy who rides with even the plastic cover on his helmet unpacked (including the visor mind you), unstrapped of course !

whom are these guys trying to fool ? dont they realize that an unfastened helmet is only as good as an earthern pot over their heads ?

the cops had issued strict instructions that no one on a 2 wheeler without a helmet would be spared and this specifically included women & children.

The same cops are now helpless as the Govt has issued a "recommendation" to them so as "not to harrass the public in the name of enforcing the law". The next instant you have the violators arguing with the cops reminding them of the Government's "new order"

The same Govt has now also relaxed the rule of helmets for women & children (as if their lives werent important) for "convenience" sake

wish i could do this if my head didnt hurt....
slippy
When has been the last time u did a bike on chennai roads, with all the heat on?, helmets are a useful thing. no arguments about it..
but u have to admit are more useful on "autobahn", and not 13kmph, 44 celcius at choolaimedu high rd.
all those who can afford to buy a bike may or not pick up a helmet.. it is entirely the riders choice
the govt has also issued lotsa laws against corruption & money laundering..im sure there are more people dying because of this, than ppl who dont wear helmets
have seen ppl die on ECR, despite helmets! some of them when <40kmph, do u mean ppl who die with them , drive below 40?
for more info pl call me good old buddy! @$#@%#^%
P.S: am very sure that there have been few weekends in ur life, where u have driven in such speeds that if fallen, even a helmet wouldnt have broken the fall
Old 16th July 2007, 03:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuNgAmA View Post
slippy
When has been the last time u did a bike on chennai roads, with all the heat on?, helmets are a useful thing. no arguments about it..
but u have to admit are more useful on "autobahn", and not 13kmph, 44 celcius at choolaimedu high rd.
even at 13 kmph (even if at standstill, if you fall down), you can break your skull.

Quote:
have seen ppl die on ECR, despite helmets! some of them when <40kmph, do u mean ppl who die with them , drive below 40?
helmets are not guarantee from the almighty that you won't die. you need to learn a new word, statistics. This will help you in understanding the possibility of saving yourself in case of a crash instead of breaking your own skull and checking it out.

Quote:

P.S: am very sure that there have been few weekends in ur life, where u have driven in such speeds that if fallen, even a helmet wouldnt have broken the fall

what does that have do to making a decision on wearing helmets. you mean if you plan to touch 100+ on a certain stretch of road, you should abandon all protection assuming you are going to die anyway?
Old 16th July 2007, 03:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

lots of people i know have started wearing helmets to protect their face and hair from dust and sun rather than a safety angle. (This could explain the unstrapped helmets) but whatever be the reason I am glad that they have finally gotten around to using them
Old 16th July 2007, 08:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Rules are made to be broken. Just check this link to find out how keralites come up with novel ideas to break the rules
Jokes, Funny SMS, Videos, Pictures Games 'n' Fun - Funtoosh.com
Old 16th July 2007, 08:24   #24
Team-BHP Support

Same thing has happened in kerala as well.

For a week after making helmet compulsory, there was loads of checking, and everyone was riding with it. Now i see only 30% people wearing helmets, and police have gone back to their den.

Another good rule is that from August 1, seat bely is made cumpulsory for front passengers in kerala. Dont know what will happen of this rule in the end!
Old 16th July 2007, 08:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Another good rule is that from August 1, seat bely is made cumpulsory for front passengers in kerala.

Passengers or Drivers?? i thught Kerala police are strict also that seatbelts there was mandatory..?

Godfather
Old 16th July 2007, 09:00   #26
BHPian

Another thing I have noticed here is that the media is also kind of opposing the helmet rule . Most of the accident reports involving 2 wheelers have the first sentence like " A youth riding a bike perished in a head-on collision with a truck / car (whatever !) inspite of wearing a helmet . The angry locals blocked the traffic in the road asking the government to pull back the rule "
Are they out of their minds ??? If the guy wasn't wearing a helmet they wouldn't even be able to recognise him . Really sad that the rule is not being implemented well now .I believe the same is going to happen with the seatbelt rule as well .
Old 16th July 2007, 09:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
slippy
When has been the last time u did a bike on chennai roads, with all the heat on?,
I think he does that on a regular basis. hungama, i think you better not go gungho about the whole thing. I know for sure that slip means what he is saying & not just commenting for the sake of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
lots of people i know have started wearing helmets to protect their face and hair from dust and sun rather than a safety angle. (This could explain the unstrapped helmets) but whatever be the reason I am glad that they have finally gotten around to using them
I for one started off like that almost 18 years ago & still feel naked if i step out without one, The helmet has become a part of my apparel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Another good rule is that from August 1, seat bely is made cumpulsory for front passengers in kerala. Dont know what will happen of this rule in the end!
I already have a belly, so i think i am safe & i can sit in the front.
Old 16th July 2007, 11:36   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
slippy
You have no idea. Ever walked into something? That would have been at maybe 2 or 3 kmh.

Hope you enjoy 'bumping' your head at 13!

But you probably won't be around to tell us about it.

Struggling here, not to make my first abusive post on this forum and get myself into early trouble with the mods!
Old 16th July 2007, 22:56   #29

helmets are a usefull thing, no doubts about it, what part of this did some people not understand, i think there has been a communication gap, ok let me spell it out for you, what i meant was helmets are usefull but lets not force it on someone, it is there own decision to wear it or not, there are a lot of things more serious in india that have and need to be addressed NOW. I have heard a lot about this forum and i think I have a right to an opinion just like you guys. But, thad e ginathom, if the only way you can express yourself, is by abusing, then i am extremely sorry for you and this forum. lets have mature chat, if you can please. Mr Vivekiny2k, 6% of the world's road death accident happen in india, while india has only 1% of the worlds road vehicles. 1 person dies every 6 minutes and 10 are injured in the same time frame. Increase in alcohol consumption in india over last 2 decades - 106% I am Sure even you could do the maths for this one. enough statistics ?.
Old 16th July 2007, 23:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungama
what i meant was helmets are usefull but lets not force it on someone,
Who's forcing whom??
All we can do is just advise somebody.If he/she still wants a wind in the hair feeling, we'd gladly welcome lesser traffic.
PS: Since u're from chennai and an off-roader, there's a very very high probability that we've met.Check my Profile pic and let me know if u've seen me. Peace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks