Team-BHP - The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/25760-tv-streaming-shows-thread-no-spoilers-please-366.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by noopster (Post 5774989)
Am with you till this point. But by episode 6 the plot had started to go completely haywire and the 7th episode just sealed its fate as a complete disappointment.

Oh shoot! I am still at Episode 4 and enjoyed it till now. I need to find time and the TV remote from family that just does not seem to come into my hands as in most households the interests vary so unable to continue till date.

Will complete it next week but, thanks for the heads up. I agree to what you are saying but, I normally give up most of OTT series in the first 1-2 episodes and if I survive it means I can survive till the end.

Fool Me Once was as you rightly said was awesome till maybe a couple of episodes but, this Harlan Coben hype and style is being overdone. I gave up on this series in the first few episodes.

Night Agent was rather fine and I didn't deal with a lot of disappointment.

But, in general Brit series are lot more entertaining than their American counterparts from a quantity to quality ratio.

The 8 Show (Korean) on Netflix

if you watched and liked Squid Game then you will like this series

my rating 3.5/5

Death Note (Anime) on Netflix.
Rating: 8.5/10

This is my first ever anime. Watching it after a friend recommended it and I must say: love the writing. I mean if this is a standard anime, I would gladly watch many more such series purely for the exceptional storytelling.

Only 6 episodes in but loving it. clap:

I have no idea how I had missed this earlier, but finished watching Behind Her Eyes at a stretch on Netflix yesterday. The show is based on a novel written by Sarah Pinborough.

The show is a slow-burn and there were moments when I almost decided to just let go. However, the taut performances by the leading characters made me strive through. It is essentially a psychosexual thriller; with some moments that are absolutely bizarre and bewildering at the same time.

The climax is what is the hook for the show and that is how the show was heavily marketed. Yes, it's ludicrous but still definitely watchable; not the mind-shattering experience one comes to expect however.

Guessing that the novel has done a better job of laying out the intricacies; as the show eventually leaves a lot to be desired.

Rating: 3.5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis (Post 5776746)

This is my first ever anime. Watching it after a friend recommended it and I must say: love the writing. I mean if this is a standard anime, I would gladly watch many more such series purely for the exceptional storytelling.

Only 6 episodes in but loving it. clap:

Welcome to the glorious world of Anime. You picked one of the best ones to start the journey. If you do get bitten by the bug. We are here to help with more recommendations. We do have a thread already about this subject.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis (Post 5776746)

"Death Note" is the only Anime series I have watched entirely. It is very good. Having said that, one should watch it without any longish breaks, especially after episode 20 or so. The story becomes complicated and difficult to follow if you take, say, 3–4-week breaks as I did.

"Spy Family" is another good watch. I have recently started watching "Ron Komonohashi's Forbidden Deductions". Both are on Netflix and are good for casual viewing, unlike Death Note in later episodes :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 5355362)
Stranger Things Season 4 - Netflix

I liked the novelty this series brought in, when watching Season 1 and then quickly lost interest over the following seasons.
Rating : 3.5/5

True, this started out well, but then I lost interest as it became somewhat repetitive. I have started Dark now, lets see how that holds up !

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-ragnar.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoumenD (Post 5354409)
First 3 seasons were pretty well paced and kept me hooked. The storyline was interesting and fast paced. The sets, acting everything was spot on.

Vikings was awesome in the first 3 seasons. But then it sort of lost the momentum. The sons of Ragnar were nowhere as appealing as the man himself!

While Travis was brilliant in strategy, and ruthless when raiding, I was most touched by the friendship between him & George (Athelstan). There was a tenderness that was unexpected for the rough Viking. Especially the part where he buries his friend and says "I hate you for leaving me!". Surprisingly, this extends to real life where you can see how he treats George in interviews. Travis always pulls a funny one on his colleagues.

Of course, his ruthlessness was in full display during the infamous Blood Eagle. And again, Ragnar demonstrated it better than Bjorn Ironside. It was genuinely upsetting.

Floki was brilliantly portrayed by Gustaf. He was an unpredictable mad genius AND a religious fanatic. The way he relished killing was blood curdling. His giggles were equally as scary, and it reminded me of how Heath Ledger portrayed the Joker by endowing the character with unique mannerisms. In the end, Floki the Fool is defeated by the unchanging human character. I was stunned to see the wrestler Edge (Adam Copeland) in the Iceland scenes! I feel Vikings would not have been so powerful without this Floki character.

Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick) was also superb. She lasted almost the entire series. Her funeral was beautifully choreographed in a dreamy sequence. I felt King Harald Finehair (Peter Franen) was also captivating whenever he was on screen. The King of Norway showed his vulnerable side when he confessed "I have no luck with women" and felt the weight of the crown was too much to bear.

Aslaug (Alyssa Sutherland) was okay-ish. Clive Standen as Rollo was also good. As was the makeup-heavy Seer. Ivar the Boneless (Alex Anderson) started out as an evil maniac, but then the series showcased his range of emotions very well, including a surprising tenderness towards the young Prince Igor.

Special mention to the English kings - King Ecbert (Linus Roache in a delightful morally ambiguous portrayal where the man truly lives life and even death on his own terms), Aethelwulf (Moe Dunford who dies a most ridiculous manner after years of war) & King Aelle (Ivan Kaye who rejoiced a little too soon). Judith & King Alfred were forgettable.

The sets and locations were all excellent. I felt the sea voyages a bit artificial, but then that is a small complaint only. Their ritual sacrifices and makeup were spectacular, especially the Norse priests and Ivar declaring himself a God!

Panchayat Season-3

Just finished it and man it’s going down as one of the best web series ever made in India. Everyone did a great job and season-4 is a done deal. Wait begins for next season.

Rating: 5/5

P.S: it left a suspense which is going to go viral for sure

Jamnapaar (Amazon mini TV) - Fantastic story about a young aspiring CA, Shantanu Bansal aka Shanky who lives in East Delhi known as Jamnapaar by those living on the other side of Yamuna river. His father K.D. Bansal played by Varun Badola runs CA classes and is a man of honesty and integrity. His son, on the other hand dreams about a corporate career in South Delhi but feels shackled by his own people. The series portrays the father-son relationship beautifully along with the stereotypes associated with each side of the city adding warmth and humour to the story. Every character is bang on in this series, I would rate it 4.5/5.
https://youtu.be/OUuIBKxSbTo?si=_gemiHsIKC7jBxsv

Panchayat-Season 3 Amazon Prime

The third instalment of Panchayat is here and is a snooze fest with very little imaginative writing. In fact, the first few episodes will need ample amount of patience, just to get through them. The breezy comedy has now gone into some other genre and which is not funny anymore. Apart from some brilliance here and there, Panchayat season 3 is disappointing. One good thing, the supporting characters get more airtime in this one but fail to conjure up the spontaneity of the first two seasons. The writers are now stretching the series in order to milk the popularity of the previous seasons. Watchable but the fun is now gone.

Rating: 2.5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 (Post 5779512)
The writers are now stretching the series in order to milk the popularity of the previous seasons. Watchable but the fun is now gone.

Agreed. Its not a fun, light weight series that it was when it landed.

The second season added bit of a heavy content and was a sign of things to come but I didn't expect them to completely lose the direction this way.

The characters seem lost the same as viewers - midway through season I had a overwhelming feeling of disappointment and couldn't think how series makers are going to salvage this. In the end, they didn't. The ending clearly sets a stage for next season but I am not excited anymore the way I was for earlier seasons.

The only saving grace is the actor who plays Pralhad and his dialogues. A couple of them are going to be instant classics.
Its weird to say but the best part of a fun, comedy series are some extremely emotional heavy hitting bits.

Panchayat Season-3
OTT : Amazon Prime
5/5

This is one series that has never let off the momentum and it takes off right from where it left off in Season 2 (it's best to do a quick recap of EP 8 of Season 2 to get back into Phulera environment :D) and first episode was laugh a riot.

This time around the backdrop of troubles in Phulera village is politics with a comic but, angry politician holding the reins of their troubles. This time there was some airtime given to romance as well which was missing in the previous 2 seasons which was absolutely cute.

Just one episode was a bit of a drag but, the rest of the episodes (especially the last 3 are such a breeze with a little bit of action thrown in)

Each and every character have acted superb with Raghubir Yadav leading from the front and his two loyal and unwavering assistants (Vikas is such an awesome character) and the confused and humble "sachevji" ably supporting them.

It's a rare feat to deliver the same level of storyline, acting and momemtun and in my opinion, Panchayat has achieved this rare feat.

Like all lovers of Panchayat, I'm already counting time for S4.

Bodkin - English

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-1.jpg

It was a good watch but felt it somehow lost it's path midway and the last episode (climax) was pretty dull. Good acting by all and scenic location but could have utilised the location more (mostly filmed indoors). Few compared this with "Only murders in the building" but I found the latter to be better.
This does have it's moments but definiely could have been better.

Could see the Obamas in the list of the producers?

Rating - 3/5 (Netflix). Watchable.

Murder in Mahim - Hindi

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-2.jpg

Felt the series was a bit long and it shows in some episodes with unnecessary drag/scenes. Ashutosh and Vijay were pretty good and they saved the series. Not the typical crime drama that we see, but was decent.

Rating - 3/5 (Jio Cinema). Watchable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 (Post 5779512)
Panchayat-Season 3The writers are now stretching the series in order to milk the popularity of the previous seasons. Watchable but the fun is now gone.

In agreement, there were hardly any comical or meme worthy moments, the acting was top notch, no doubt, just that the earlier seasons had genuine comical moments and legendary dialogues, it was missing sorely in this season. But still a must watch