Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2023, 18:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can a geyser fall off the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
Having 40-50 kilos hanging over your head does not feel safe anymore!
I prefer using instant water heaters for this exact reason (plus it helps that they are cheap and relatively low maintenance). I have installed them myself, and they are not particularly heavy.
Old 30th July 2023, 18:26   #62
ZMG
BHPian

Re: The Water Heater Thread

Hi Guys
Any thoughts on V-Guard 25 liter water geyser?
I currently have a 31 year old Racold (that's what the manufacturing date says) - which needs to get a heating element changed every 2 - 3 years.
I get Cauvery water - so TDS is not as high as other places.
I was considering AO Smith and Racold - but after reading Viddits post, I am not sure about it anymore.
I do not want WiFi or other fancy features which cannot be repaired in the future.

Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 23:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I prefer using instant water heaters for this exact reason (plus it helps that they are cheap and relatively low maintenance). I have installed them myself, and they are not particularly heavy.
Storage heaters are required if one wants to shower. I have seen small instant geysers that work with showers at hostels in SE Asia but couldn't find them in India.
Old 31st July 2023, 10:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
Hi Guys
I had got one installed 5 years back, was so happy with it, that i got another one for the other bathroom as well a couple of years back. No problems at all, very happy with both.
toiingg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 10:48   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
The water heater is around 8 years old.
The Bajaj heater (can't recollect the model) at my parents place which was roughly 7.5 years old has exactly the same issue.
The Bajaj heater they had before that worked fine for 20+ years, only to have an issue with its wiring unit. It was repaired and is still running in another bathroom.
So it looks like Bajaj is having an issue with QC in that batch of geyser.

Quote:
So can a geyser fall off the wall? I didn’t know this was possible till two nights ago.
From the pic, I am assuming its issue with shoddy workmanship while fixing the heater.
If it was issue with weak wall, you would have seen cement / brick breaking off near the bolts.
If it was issue with geyser clamps not strong, that would have come off.

From the pic, it looks like the installer tried to put a sub quality bolt( which looks like it got bend) and also did a shoddy job with drilling.
The plastic bit is to be kept tight and the bolt should have been hammered / screwed in to that. Here it looks like being kept as an afterthought.

Lucky that it didn't fall on anyone, a full geyser weighs more than a LPG cylinder, not something I would want to fall on my head. Hot water or not.

I would suggest you raise a complaint in their customer care with the pics you have, atleast it should make them avoid doing this in someone else house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
As a brand V Guard is a reputed one. However, how the service situation is for V Guard nearby. The issue I have noticed in Bangalore (and should be same for any place with hardwater) is that based on usage heater coil gets damaged in anywhere between a year to 5/6 years.

Then you are at mercy of the service guys who comes and charges exorbitant amount for replacing the coil. For example, I have Jaquar heater which was installed by the builder when taking possession of apartment, coil cost for that is a 1.8K as per service guy on top of this there is around Rs 750 service cost too.

Lately, I have taken out the damaged coil, got similar coil from market (Rs 800) and refix the new coil myself.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 11:10   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So can a geyser fall off the wall? I didn’t know this was possible till two nights ago.
The poor installation is the cause. The bolt size does not match the nylon plug size and the bolt should go inside in the nylon plug. This is a mediocre install and nothing wrong with the geyser or the clamps. If this was elsewhere, the company would have been sued for this damage. Only in India, you get away by doing such shoddy work.

Thank God no one was hurt. Remove the bolt and old nylon plug. clean the hole by spraying some water into them to remove dust and debris. Then use a new nylon plug matching the hole size and mount the clamp with a pair of threaded bolts.
Old 31st July 2023, 11:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Few pointers -
1.You got only luke warm water though, the geyser had boiling hot water after the fall - this says the heater was probably off the hook/bolt for some time and due to improper levelling water flow was hampered.

2. The hooks are still in the wall with plaster intact so this has nothing to do with the building.

3. With improper levelling there would have been space inside the cavity causing the steam build up, which might have moved the heater, causing the second bolt to slip off.

4. With the given space i doubt there was enough space for the heater and it would have been pushed up and off the hook when they placed the false ceiling board immeditely after installation.

5. Do not use this geyser, push for replacement, if not, do not loose your sleep, go ahead and buy a new one. Retain these parts for replacement in the future.

6. Do check other geysers in your home and if they do not have a problem check geysers in your same series of homes, above and below this particular toilet.

Last edited by aadya : 31st July 2023 at 12:02. Reason: spelling
Old 27th March 2024, 09:26   #68
BHPian

any advice regarding tankless instant or heat pump water heaters ?

I am constructing a new 3 story house having 2 bathrooms and 1 kitchen on every floor in Delhi. Our family has 4 members.

I will be installing high flow showerheads having water flow of upto 25L/m.
Vendor A is recommending 500L heat pump water system citing problems in maintenance and service network of Stiebel Eltron tankless water heaters.
Vendor B is recommending instant tankless water heaters for every bathroom citing cost problems of installing insulated separate hot water and return pipelines and maintaining on-demand hot water i.e. using circulation pump besides the maintenance aspect of heat pumps.

I am now getting inclined towards tankless as it will be a simpler solution for a family of 4.
Old 11th April 2024, 08:16   #69
BHPian

Hi, looking at replacing geysers in a multi-storied apartment. Any feedback on instant water heaters? I understand that this is used extensively in SE Asian countries but yet to see it mainstream in India. Can anyone educate on the pros and cons of the same?
Old 11th April 2024, 11:21   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
any advice regarding tankless instant or heat pump water heaters ?
We moved to a new apartment last year after our building got redeveloped. Water heaters were provided by the builder for the whole building.

This is the first time i noticed this compact tank less water heater. It was very compact and easily fitted in the duct of the building. It was called on-line water heater and i was curious to know what "ON-LINE" means.

The difference between traditional water heater and online water heater lies in its functioning. As soon as you turn the tap on, the flow of the water triggers the water heater to turn on. This enables the heating elements to rapidly heat the water as it passes through tank less unit. This gives instant hot water. The great part about this online water heater is that the heating elements shut down as soon as hot water tap is shut off and so the energy is consumed only for the hot water that is being consumed. You can also set the temperature on the hot water.
Attached Thumbnails
The Water Heater Thread-742dabf76eed44ba9308b31c086a5afc22161045.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 11:35   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Hi, looking at replacing geysers in a multi-storied apartment. Any feedback on instant water heaters? I understand that this is used extensively in SE Asian countries but yet to see it mainstream in India. Can anyone educate on the pros and cons of the same?
I have got a Bajaj 4.5 kW instant water heater. I am able to shower with hot water as well. It is that good. Don't get the 3 kW ones, they don't work that well.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th April 2024 at 17:37. Reason: typos
jomyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 11:31   #72
BHPian

I have decided to install central hot water system using heat pump and 500L storage tank.

Problem with instant tankless is electric load demand will be too high. Approx 15kW per geyser. Whereas heat pump using 1.5 kW load will heat 500L storage tank.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th April 2024 at 17:36. Reason: typos
Old 13th April 2024, 11:47   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I have decided to install central hot water system using heat pump and 500L storage tank.

Problem with instant tankless is electric load demand will be too high. Approx 15kW per geyser. Whereas heat pump using 1.5 kW load will heat 500L storage tank.
Issue is that the central heat pump takes its own sweet time to heat up the water. I had also considered this option, but didn’t find it practical for domestic usage. I think it makes more sense for hotels and resorts where hot water is required 24x7.

For home use, where hot water is required in lesser quantities and for only 10-15 minutes in a day, induction based storage heaters (25-35 liters) make most sense.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th April 2024 at 17:36. Reason: quoted post edited

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks