Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2023, 02:57   #46
AZT
BHPian

Re: Your favourite car scenes from movies & TV shows

The Gone in 60 seconds Shelby (Eleanor) chase seasons were *chefs kiss*. That whole movie is gold.

That helicopter saying "He's gone" is my best scene from the movie.

Last edited by AZT : 24th February 2023 at 03:00.
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 10:59   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Listing out chronologically as I have seen it. Also ones that still continue to enthrall me, unlike say most of the 2000s VFM/shaky cam overload which looked good when I saw them at a young age.

Terminator 2 - Judgement day - The first Hollywood movie cassette that we bought instead of renting. This set the benchmark for action movies for me; chase scene, gun scenes et al. The chase scenes are visceral and integral to the storyline.

Scooby Doo - The Mystery Machine in the cartoon made me dream of modifying our Omni into a Mystery Machine.

Fast & furious Tokyo drift - The high school scene where they race in a under contruction plot. It made me want the closest thing to a Monte Carlo that India got. Contessa. That and the first scenes were Sean is introduced to drifting

Terminator 1984 - Typical James Cameroon era Terminator chase scenes. Short intense bursts of burnouts, underbody scrapes, powersliding.

Back to the Future - The DeLorean. both as the 1980s version as well as the 1950s version with cross ply white walls. And who can forget that awesome lifted Toyota pickup truck in it.

Ee Parakkum Thalika - The Thamarakshan bus made me dream of caravaning in a Toyota Coaster or Merc Sprinter with a water tank on top.

Ronin - The chase felt direct, more real world. Especially the tunnel scene with those tight scenes and hi-beam usage.

Gone in 60 seconds - The sheer number and variety of models shown.

Vanishing point (1971) - The whole movie. One relentless drive. And that Challenger made me want the closest thing in India even more. The Contessa. Stupid me.

Transporter 1 - The first one with that beautiful E38!!! Don't get me started on that crappy Audi sponsored 2nd and 3rd ones.

The Driver (1978) - The first chase, the undergound parking Mercedes destruction scene that was copied by Indian movies, the red step-side Chevrolet pickup.

The Drive (2011) - While the opening scene had lots of muscle cars/ American metal lined up in a garage, the characters take a souped up Impala to stay under the radar while being powerful enought to evade the police. Showed how one doesn't need to be powersliding/crashing for a getaway car and the power of a sleeper.

Death Proof - Especially the last chase scene.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 12:19   #48
BANNED

I dont know if people have already mentioned but i will go ahead anyway as these are just impossible to miss when someone speaks about cars in movies!
  • The Rush [ absolutely stunning film with mesmerizing zimmers score provide gor real life experience]
[Ford vs Ferrari][although takes a lot of artistic liberty it is still one of thes most authentic films about car, not unlike the other cheap fast and furious garbages ]
Old 24th February 2023, 13:36   #49
BHPian

One of my favorites

DRIVEN (2001) - The infamous race through Chicago between Stallone and Pardue

Old 24th February 2023, 15:05   #50
BHPian

This is how I want to exit a Merc - if I ever get to own one

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxp0ZQ2NP...xlMUoDq4rxXIso.

Another one from top gear

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxAkq2E-j...kz_urTaArJ8US-

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 24th February 2023 at 15:13.
buzzy_boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 15:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
If I have to be selective,.....
Just so, the Bullitt chase sequence tops the list in my hall of fame too. A close second (among the newer films) would be the chase in the Jason Bourne film with Matt Damon(I forget the name of th film!). As you said he newer films seem unfocussed on the chase itself but more on special effects.
Another classic sequence was the Mini Cooper (3 of them)chase in the 1970's Michael Caine thriller The Italian Job.

Last edited by shashanka : 24th February 2023 at 15:24.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 08:54   #52
BHPian

For me it's the scene from Wanted!
Old 25th February 2023, 09:48   #53
BHPian

Surprised there’s no mention of this so far!

Speed (1994) remains one of my personal favourites - it’s basically a race against time from start to finish.

Lots of other set pieces have already been mentioned, but cannot resist bringing up the trailer chase from Terminator 2 and the opening credits sequence from Drive (2011)!
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 18:58   #54
BHPian

Cars in any movies are the most attractive factor for me and I end up concentrating on the cars more often than the lead actress

I know many Hollywood movies have car scenes which has been already been shared by fellow forum members. So I won’t touch that. For me my favourite movie scene which might be a bit non-sensical or not that attractive for many is the scene from the song Zara Sa sung by the melodious voice of KK in the movie Jannat where in the opening scene of the song Emraan Hashmi is seen to propose his girlfriend by his drop dead gorgeous black Honda Accord in the busy streets of Mumbai. In my opinion that song is incomplete without that black Accord.

Though not required as everybody must’ve heard that song a million times but still it never gets old, or at least for me who feels most of the modern bolywood songs are nothing more than noise therefore linking the same.

Wish everybody happy and safe motoring
Tony
Tony2298 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 19:43   #55
BHPian

You guys are all too serious. The best car scene is clearly Mr. Bean fighting is own mind (sleep) to get to Cannes.

the.city is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 01:28   #56
BHPian

Here's mine from Breaking Bad in which Walt and Walt Jr. buy themselves not one but two muscle cars:

This is the extended version in which Walt sells his legendary Pontiac Aztec for 50 bucks.:

Last edited by Sherlocked : 7th March 2023 at 01:29.
Old 7th March 2023, 09:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Movie "Drive", the modern version of the Buillit chase. No over soundtrack just pure muscle.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 7th March 2023 at 10:07.
Old 7th March 2023, 12:34   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

The biggest challenge for adults growing older is not to let the kid inside them die. So, don’t be ashamed to watch cartoon series/movies in front of other adults or even your kids. And while Initial D maybe a cartoon series which was inspired by real individuals and opened us to the world of downhill street racing, inertia drift, gutter technique to name a few.

Speaking of gutter technique this is the technique Takumi is most famous for and has been used multiple times when racing on Akina, which is an entry-oriented method that doesn't let him understeer at the entrance. He would let the front inner tires drop into the gutter to withstand the centrifugal force of the turn, which would allow his car to turn beyond the grip his tyres could provide.

Below is a scene of the same…

Next is a motorcycle scene from the movie True Lies.

I love cars, but motorcycles are my first love and scenes and sounds of inline fours is what made me work hard towards my dream of owning one. The ZX 750 has been a childhood dream and I still dream of owning one some day.

And finally a scene from one of the latest movies The Art of Racing in the Rain, which was really emotional..

Last edited by SnS_12 : 7th March 2023 at 12:41.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 14:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

How the hell could I forget this one.

Back to the future part 1.

sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 14:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

Adding more : A scene from recent flick "The Gray Man"

Most Viewed