Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 02:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event

Amongst the Mallyas, Modis (Lalit and Nirav), Rajas and many such people.. we find all the time to discuss about a guy who stole plants from the road (BTW which were brought from our tax money itself - not the point here tho!)

I do not support what he did but take a moment to think - Was his crime so serious?

At most he took some plants, and hopefully those were some lucky plant lives which might be taken care of.

Coming to the point here - Not just Delhi, even in Mumbai I see many such pots and plants which were part of the beautification during the G20 summit and are now sitting there lifeless.

I feel the point of discussion here should be - What should be the steps taken by the local authorities to ensure that such things should not be wasted?
- Donate to the local nursery?
- Use for the beautification of near-by residential/corporate areas?
- Donate to the residential/corporates to be taken care of?
iamahunter is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 06:36   #77
BHPian

Re: Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
He sold off the farm and now works in IT at a reputed MNC. He spends 14 hours in traffic and 3 hours at his desk.
No farm, no fowl.
A very good one. Here is a similar one,

A person was traveling in a train in India. When he went to relieve himself, he saw a beautiful shiny new mirror in the toilet under which was written "Railway property is your property, safeguard it". The person decided to follow it.

He kept guard the whole night and prevented at least 3 people from stealing it.

When his station came, he started thinking about the safety of the mirror and came to one obvious conclusion. He promptly removed the mirror and took it home for safe keeping.
girishv is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 14:30   #78
BHPian

My 2 or few cents:

Even if he is assumed to be a taxpayer, his stake is almost inexistent, there are millions who can claim their stake!!

There are many in this country who commit financial crimes, but that does not entitle him/anybody else to commit petty crimes, such as this.

He has committed a crime, faced the law, (was probably humiliated too), and might have already moved on, but we are still stuck there. It was necessary to out him, no doubt, but there is also time for us to move on.

and most importantly, PEACE!!
tchsvy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 05:52   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yup, I went to many "developed nations" and was surprised to find out that they do not have any jails since people have stopped committing crimes! We will always remain a developing nation unless everybody stops crimes right now

On a more serious note, I will go against the tide. I wonder whats this severe outrage about. People much richer than this gentlemen have been caught stealing billions. I mean there have been CEOs etc., who own private jets, and yet have swindled billions from people.
Do you mean to say that this gentleman who can stop his Rs 40 lakh car and steal decorative plants will not steal billions when he gets an opportunity?
By the same logic, you will not want to arrest any terrorists until they actually kill civilians?
These are sentinel events and nipping the bud at sentinel events will prevent/discourage bigger crimes. The desensitisation and acceptance of petty crimes will only embolden the wrongdoers.

All of us have breaking points. For many, it is hunger. For some it is money. For others it is family. But breaking your moral standards for something trivial, shows the extent of the rot.

On a lighter note, I am waiting to hear from his lawyer that this guy's mom is suffering from cancer and he stole the plants as the doctors told only the extract from these flowers can cure her from cancer and he is dirt poor and can't purchase them paying money. ��

Last edited by Sheel : 5th March 2023 at 14:25. Reason: u = you. No SMS language please. Thank You.
Geta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 10:53   #80
BHPian

Well what I have been taught by my parents and moral science teachers in school :
Stealing is a crime no matter what you steal. A small 1 rupee eraser, flowerpots or billions of money.

And this person is a thief and deserves appropriate punishment irrespective of quantum of theft.
steadfast is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 12:27   #81
BHPian

It's amusing to see the self-righteous indignation on public forums such as these for incidents of petty larceny and theft (a few hundred rupees for three flower pots?). On the other hand large scale perversion of law to enrich a few. continuing corruption in public services (as any read of the woes one faces at an RTO office) and abuse of the legal system (to target anybody critical of the government) go virtually unnoticed despite taking place quite publicly.

This reminds me of a CO who used to quip that the punishment for stealing a few litres of jet fuel (similar to kerosene, hence often stolen) could end a career and result in imprisonment but accepting multi-crore bribes by flag officers (even when named in a chargesheet) resulted in just minor embarrassment.
J2022 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 13:50   #82
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Now even the rich and politically connected will think twice about committing petty theft in broad daylight because it could end up viral on social media. The entitlement here is insane. Little by little, people will learn that their entitled behaviours have consequences and maybe one day in the future, all these little things like cutting in line etc will be eliminated.
OT: I would love to agree and wish that this was true but it's just not happening. Twitter is full of russophobia and those woke people just put Amano Pikamee out of her business.
All she did was decide to play a game. Oh god, I'm going to miss her and I hate the people on twitter, especially from a certain country/region. Their entitlement knows no bound.

The flower theft incident with that imbecile Elvish and his relative is just the tip of the iceberg.

A lot of people and some countries need to be dislodged from society if we ever want to become a combat-ready space-faring race.
Old 5th March 2023, 14:45   #83
Team-BHP Support

I get irritated when people steal flowers from our bushes for "puja". I tell them not to steal and go buy them. Rituals does not give the entitlement to steal.

More shameless stuff.

My daughter studied in a leading law college. During the holidays, some of the boys were asked to vacate the room but allowed their belongings to remain locked in the cupboards as accommodation was required for a lawyers conference.

These guests of honour, broke into their cupboards and helped themselves to their formal attire and books..
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 19:36   #84

I’m coming from a much more broad perspective: I’m not focusing on the nature/legality of the action, but rather, I focus on the message that it sends to you and me—the general public. It just goes to show the lengths that people would go to, just to save a buck. The number of zeroes in the offender’s bank account doesn’t matter, it’s the state-of-mind and the frankly, horrendous mentality that does. After all, it’s exactly this that compelled him to do so. If this is what is so common in our country, what are we left to advertise? Are we seriously going to be remembered for and related to, as a country, just butter chicken and theft? It’s just sad. Pathetic.
Shoury A Dasari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 01:28   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoury A Dasari View Post
... and theft? It’s just sad. Pathetic.
Unfortunately this can happen anywhere without geographical boundaries. For eg: you'll be amazed by the number of bicycle theft in the UK. Park your cycle with a lock and you cannot expect it to be definitely there.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 6th March 2023 at 01:31.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 08:14   #86
Senior - BHPian

Such a lengthy and informative discussion.

I am living in NCR region for the first time since 2022. Personally, I believe quite a few people in Delhi-NCR region have grown too isolated from one another. And, there is a general lack of civic sense in many of the residents. This act of lifting flower pots by this person seems like a mere “thoughtless action” to me where he was driving through that road, liked the flowers so picked them up, without using the thinking capability of who these flowers belong to or what purpose they serve. There was, most probably, no intention to steal.

This is my viewpoint based on my NCR experiences. Apologies if I have offended anyone.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:43   #87
Senior - BHPian

These are bound to be VERY EXPENSIVE flower pots. Anything procured by govt. agencies (either on rent or bought) would have been bought at a very high rate compared to the market rate. So indeed this would have resulted in a huge loss to the govt. Would be interesting to find out how much actually was paid to buy or rent these flower pots. If a thief steals from another thief, would that still be theft?
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 12:54   #88
BHPian

Very interesting thread ����

"I am paying college fees, I ll take it home"

Situation at a Government run hospitality institute.

Every semester(16 weeks), they procure 20 dozen spoons for food and beverage practical classes and guess what at the end of 16 weeks, they are left with 3 dozen of them only. And it's only spoons which go missing, forks, knives and soup spoons are left untouched.

A student, who studies at this institute pays around 70k/semester as fees.

Missing spoons are a common problem from government run colleges, canteens and even now privatised Air India has this problem.
Old 7th March 2023, 18:13   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
Really disappointing, but great to see KIA quick to update their specifications with regards to boot space.
What is Gamle? Am I missing something? Kindly enlighten.
Old 7th March 2023, 18:40   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
What is Gamle?
A plant/flower pot in hindi: gamla. Plural: gamle.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks