Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 19:12   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event

This one has gone viral today, and it is just so disappointing. In India, anything & everything is stolen. I can still understand a beggar stealing Skoda monograms (the company offered owners free replacements) for food money, but the owner of a 35-lakh luxury MPV stealing flower pots? So cheap, so disgusting, so disappointing.

News & full article.

I later read that the man was swiftly arrested. Check out the thief's number-plate, he has surely paid extra for the VIP number 0006.

Last edited by GTO : 1st March 2023 at 19:13.
GTO is offline   (103) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 19:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event

Despicable to say the least. The fact that anyone would even steal a decoration such as this is, as was rightly said above, cheap. In the article, this line can be found (the TOI website doesn't let you copy text, hence the screenshot instead of the quote).

Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event-img_20230301_192314.jpg

Having to deploy police for safeguarding flowerpots? Not a good look whatsoever, and the arrest was well deserved.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 1st March 2023 at 19:27.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 20:37   #3
BHPian

Re: Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event

That’s a cheap thing to do. But, this is not as rare as one might assume. I know people who drive cars worth more than 30 Lakhs and try their best to avoid paying tolls, parking charges.

I haven’t pinned it down but I guess driving an “expensive” car makes them feel entitled to all that their heart desires.
revsperminute is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 20:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Despicable to say the least.

Having to deploy police for safeguarding flowerpots? Not a good look whatsoever, and the arrest was well deserved.
Exactly. There is also a cost associated with cops doing things like this. As a society do we want cops tracking and chasing murderers, or sit here guarding flower pots? It's not like they are going to hire flower pot security people, it will usually be from the same existing pool of cops.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 20:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Be ready to listen to a statement “we thought these were just left astray so we decided to take them home and take care of them”

Hopefully the person has learnt his lesson and does not pass on these traits to his offsprings.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:03   #6
BHPian

Such kind of cheap mentality often comes with wealth from corrupt sources. Anyone who has earned the hard way doesn't stoop to this level. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is a corrupt bureaucrat who is accustomed to percentages.
deetee is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since he is doing it openly when there are so many people around, I would call it as 'robbery', not 'stealing'
Guna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 22:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Utterly pathetic!

I have experienced worse, unfortunately, when it comes to people stealing flowers and plants. Here in the Netherlands it happens on graveyards, would you believe.

Both my parents and sister have died, many many years ago. And even 20-30 years ago, a bunch of flowers on their (family) grave might not last the day. People visiting their departed loved ones, simply steal flower, but also plants and ornaments on the grave.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 23:01   #9
BHPian

There are a ton of people with this tendency. Last Sunday, I saw a guy driving a much fancier car slip a small sanitizer bottle into his pocket in a Nilgiris store. I didn't notify the store staff as there is no way that I can prove it.

This sort of behavior is known as Kleptomania, a type of mental disorder. These folks usually have an uncontrollable urge to steal items that are not needed for personal use or monetary gain.

A famous character from Breaking Bad, Marie Schrader, was portrayed as having the same disorder.

Cheap & disappointing | Kia Carnival owner steals flower pots set up for G20 event-eddvcbhiw7fecewzkn8p0bsehmbe_8me0bbqcaskmiw.jpg

Image source
da3mn is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 23:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Be ready to listen to a statement “we thought these were just left astray so we decided to take them home and take care of them”

Hopefully the person has learnt his lesson and does not pass on these traits to his offsprings.
Am speechless and lost for words, the statement made by him makes no sense.

Its like someone saying “I thought the M340i was left astray so I decided to take it home and take care of it”?

Last edited by JohnDoe : 1st March 2023 at 23:29.
JohnDoe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 23:46   #11
BHPian

He should be deported to Saudi Arabia, will learn a lesson he will never forget for his remaining life.

There are a few things that people try to steal irrespective of their status. Objects from their hotel room, tea bags from the office tea vending machine, headsets and blankets from planes are few that I can point out from the top of my head.

Nowadays, air hostesses collect these items half an hour before the plane lands (even from Business Class).

Remembering a video from Bali where a family was stealing lamps etc from the hotel room at the time of checkout and were caught red handed. It was too embarrassing to watch as an Indian, hence not sharing here.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post

Remembering a video from Bali where a family was stealing lamps etc from the hotel room at the time of checkout and were caught red handed. It was too embarrassing to watch as an Indian, hence not sharing here.

This video is pure cringe and utterly embarrassing but must be shared to instill a fear of being called out for gross incompetence and sheer stupidity. Wonder if this family has learnt its lesson.
createrkid is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:02   #13
BHPian

Kleptomania is a real thing. Had nothing to do with status or money. He probably gets cheap thrills from it.
adrift@life is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:03   #14
BHPian

It’s beyond ‘cheap mentality’. It’s a mental disorder for many elites who end up stealing bathrobes, towels, cutlery sets upon checkout from hotels. What can you do with such people? I have witnessed few fellow passengers taking additional sets of toiletries from business class toilets. To top it all, how many in duty free shopping wander near perfume bays to get sampled on their clothes and just walk away without any intent to buy !!!
It’s simply a disorder and it’s a pity to see such thing exhibited mostly by our fellow citizens.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:32   #15
BHPian

One off the reasons why we will forever be a " Developing" nation.
Sk8r is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks