Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:59   #1801
Senior - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuideŽ : How To Post In Proper English

I am not sure whether this has been discussed or not before but would definitely like to know, is there any specific reason for using the spelling of the word Endeavor as Endeavour for their SUV. I found it very surprising considering the parent company is a US one.
Any pointers.

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd June 2013 at 14:02.
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:13   #1802
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I am not sure whether this has been discussed or not before but would definitely like to know, is there any specific reason for using the spelling of the word Endeavor as Endeavour for their SUV. I found it very surprising considering the parent company is a US one.
Any pointers.
Localization? India is still a British English zone.
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:15   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I mean, generally, "sister" can denote any relationship whatsoever ...and, of course, aunties and uncles don't have to be related at all
I've read Russian novels where they also use the term uncle the way we Indians /Asians do - for even unrelated elders!!

Quote:
Any pointers.
Just checked Wiki for Spaceship Endeavour and found that it is named after British ship Endeavour. So, is the Ford Endeavour named after the Spaceship Endeavour which in turn takes on the name from HMS Endeavour? Or is it directly named after the Captain Cook's ship?
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:17   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure ...
You mean you don't know? See my post on this a short way back

Endeavor is the American spelling (my spellchecker marks it as wrong), but trade and model names do not have to be real words and may well be made up by the marketing people to look good or different.
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:54   #1805
Senior - BHPian

I am sure this time that the words used by me were appropriate. Why? Because I searched only on this thread and didn't find any match but there is a high probability that this might have been discussed on some dedicated Ford Endeavour thread which I didn't search. Hence the words "I am not sure".

On the same lines is there any story behind using the name "Thar" which is departing from the usual "O" ending names. Posted it twice on Thar's official Test drive thread but no success.

Quote:
You mean you don't know? See my post on this a short way back

Endeavor is the American spelling (my spellchecker marks it as wrong), but trade and model names do not have to be real words and may well be made up by the marketing people to look good or different.
In TBHP spell checker Endeavour is marked as wrong.

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd June 2013 at 15:10.
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:35   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On the same lines is there any story behind using the name "Thar" which is departing from the usual "O" ending names. Posted it twice on Thar's official Test drive thread but no success.

In TBHP spell checker Endeavour is marked as wrong.
They used the O meant for the Thar for the XUV - thats why it has two 'O's. 5OO!!

Tbhp spell checker may be based on MS Office US English

Last edited by noopster : 9th June 2013 at 10:20.
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:02   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think (I'm not sure ) that there is a T-BHP spell checker. My understanding is that it is our browser's spell[ing] checker at work when we post on T-BHP.

A lot of these things, on installation, default to American English. I have to specify that I have a UK keyboard layout, and that I want English-UK environment for stuff.
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:42   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
... Tbhp spell checker may be based on MS Office US English
TBHP doesn't have a spell checker (forget any MS Office stuff )

Quote:
... My understanding is that it is our browser's spell[ing] checker at work when we post on T-BHP. ...
Correct. All modern browsers support this.

Quote:
They used the O meant for the Thar ...
If they had put the o at the end of Thar, they would had a tough time convincing people of their intentions. "tharo" would be misinterpreted as the GJ / RJ rough equivalent of the north Indian (abbreviated) epithet "oye teri to"
Old 9th June 2013, 10:25   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to the co brother discussion...

Does anyone here watch Breaking Bad? Walt's wife's sister's husband Hank the DEA agent is referred to as his "brother in law" throughout. The desi in me wants to stand up and shout, "He is your wife's brother in law you dummy. The correct term is co brother! "

Grammatically inaccurate it may be but the term is practically deadly accurate. Similar to prepone in that sense, it's not a real word but when someone uses it you know exactly what they mean!
Old 9th June 2013, 14:09   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Grammatically inaccurate it may be but the term is practically deadly accurate. Similar to prepone in that sense, it's not a real word but when someone uses it you know exactly what they mean!
Ha ha, I quite agree with what you say!
And I do think that it pays not to be 'deadly' rigid about these matters. The beauty of a language is that it evolves the way people feel a need for.
Old 9th June 2013, 15:42   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do think that it pays not to be 'deadly' rigid about these matters...
In a thread called ...How to Post in Proper English?

It's true that language evolves. i'm sure we have discussed this before. I bet that when you hear about Evolution of language, nine times out of ten it will be from someone justifying their ignorance or their mistake. Getting it right doesn't matter because, hey, language evolves!

Quote:
Does anyone here watch Breaking Bad? Walt's wife's sister's husband Hank the DEA agent is referred to as his "brother in law" throughout. The desi in me wants to stand up and shout, "He is your wife's brother in law you dummy. The correct term is co brother! "
Even "correct" language has its faults and defficiencies.Certainly the description is more accurate, but the word is a poor choice: a co-brother would have to be an assistant to your brother. What if you don't even have a brother!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th June 2013 at 15:43.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:11   #1812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Even "correct" language has its faults and defficiencies.Certainly the description is more accurate, but the word is a poor choice: a co-brother would have to be an assistant to your brother. What if you don't even have a brother!
Hey I didn't invent the term! It is typically used by South Indians, though I suspect it has spread across the nation.

One of my friends growing up had a family where her mom's sister was married to her dad's brother. In that case the co-brothers were actually brothers!
Old 11th June 2013, 12:34   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You sure have something against usage 'co-'. Earlier you were up in arms against co-passengers, now it is co-brother

(just kidding!)

Quote:
Hey I didn't invent the term! It is typically used by South Indians, though I suspect it has spread across the nation.
Big city South Indians. I heard this word first when I moved to Chennai from a small South TN town, and I thought I must be an ignorant country fellow not to have known this word. But then Oxford dictionary also threw a blank!!

And we South Indians give our own twist to common English words

Sentiment is used in place of Superstition
Similarly...
slang - accent
glamour - sexy or even any revealing dress
homely girl - comely or girl next door
...and many more
Old 11th June 2013, 12:46   #1814
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a gripe with the commentary on formula 1.

The guys in the 4th and 5th position are battling, but they're battling for 4th position.
What I hear is "the battle for 4th and 5th".
Why would there be a battle?
Old 11th June 2013, 14:53   #1815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
You sure have something against usage 'co-'. Earlier you were up in arms against co-passengers, now it is co-brother
Or maybe I have a something against noopster!

Just kidding!

Nothing personal, noopster. Use of "you" was general rather than specific

(please note: it was general, not "generic.")

mallumowgli, I have a thing against misuse, and against using prefixes and suffixes without some knowledge of what they actually mean and what is appropriate to the word. When done with skill and ability, invention and creativity is a vital part of language and its beauty. Didn't Shakespeare make up many of the words he used?

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks