Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2023, 23:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products

For me it's these below.
1. Samsung Flat screen 21 Inches TV. Works well since 2005. Almost 18 years up and still going strong.
2. A Timex metal strap watch that is my daily driver for the past 10 years. It is robust and looks very good even today.
3. A travel back pack from a brand called FB. It is 11 years old and has seen a very high usage but still chugs around my luggage without a damage.
Old 17th May 2023, 23:04   #47

If i may add :
1. My 100 rupee crocs ( 99th copy) lasting for 6 above years... Handles kolkata heat like a pro.
2. Mom's ladies cycle 37 years old still retains original spokes and chain sockets.
3. My bed (115 years ) old passes down from my great grandfather.
Old 17th May 2023, 23:04   #48
BHPian

1. A Favre Leuba alarm clock is about 33 years old.
2. A 10 year old Mac Mini.
3. A 13 year old Vaio laptop.
4. A Yashica point and shoot camera almost 32 years old.
5. A 25 year old Adidas backpack I purchased in Hongkong, its still good but I do not use it anymore.
6. A Sony trinitron flat TV about 20 years old.
7. An Aiwa portable VCD player purchased in Singapore in 2000, even the remote is working perfectly. I have the original earphones which are functional. This unit came with an inbuilt battery charger.
Old 18th May 2023, 08:06   #49
BHPian

Let me start from the kitchen!

We have a 165 ltr LG refrigerator, which has been running non-stop for the past 17 years. Add to that a good quantity of brass vessels which we use no more. Age > 25 years.

Living Room: A pendulum wall clock which is nearing 100 years. A nearly 50 year old Minolta film camera which could even now take stunning pictures. 2 automatic watches (a Citizen and an Allwyn) running for nearly 40 years.

Bedroom: A 15 year old split AC in our bedroom, which still manages the Chennai summers for us! A steel cupboard > 50 years old and working like magic.

Garage: Our errand boy at home, The Honda Activa which has undergone its first FC extension and "officially" has life till 2028. However, I plan to do another FC (if the authorities permit!!).

General: Quite a few books in original print, aging between 50 and 100 years.
Old 18th May 2023, 12:53   #50
BHPian

1. Woodland shoes. They simply refuse to die and I cant present any good reason to buy a new pair of shoes. I threw away one pair few years back and was because some street dogs went haywire on the shoes and damaged the leather. Most of the shoes were still intact but I thought it is time to let them go.
2. Hawkins pressure cooker. Have one with my parents which is older than me. Mine is more than 12 years old and I don't find any reason to replace it.
3. An AT backpack from my bachelor days, carried almost everything on it and the bag held all the weight. Onetime I took this bag to purchase copper wire for wiring a duplex house to a Havells shop, I was able to pack loads of boxes inside that a sales staff came asking which bag it it. His final comment was - I've never seen any one carrying copper wire like this in his life.
4. An unbranded shirt I bought in 2008 for 200rs. It was a whitish shirt and it is still in perfect condition and I don't feel like throwing it away. This is the oldest dress I have, even branded clothing never lasted this long.
5. Toys from my childhood from a brand named LEO (IIRC)
Old 18th May 2023, 13:53   #51
BHPian

2 things which I have since the last 28 years..

National Window AC
Konica SLR camera with bag (probably 30 years).
Attached Thumbnails
Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-whatsapp-image-20230518-1.38.06-pm.jpeg  

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-whatsapp-image-20230518-1.47.35-pm.jpeg  

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-whatsapp-image-20230518-1.47.36-pm-1.jpeg  

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-whatsapp-image-20230518-1.47.36-pm.jpeg  

bajica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:55   #52
BHPian

After going through this thread.. I could think of 1 thing which nobody has mentioned till now, but would be there since a long time with everyone.

Wedding album
bajica is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 16:47   #53
BHPian

1. Samsung LCD TV from 2007.

2. Timex watch from 2001.

3. Lee jeans from 2001.

4. My old study table which was originally a dining table. The table was from 1985.
Old 18th May 2023, 17:32   #54
HTC
BANNED

1. Yezdi Roadking - 25+ years and still going strong. I got it readied in 2006. It was lying in sun and rain in front of mechanic's shop for years together. All he did was spent 8k for bringing it to life with new rims+tyres. Post that I might have done 3 full services. And minor repairs here and there. Used as fun bike in hometown. Just pour oil and petrol and it starts like a champ. The tagline 'Forever Bike' suits so well.

2. Like many have already mentioned, I have a samsung 32" LCD tv since 2009. Still going strong. But our TV time is negligible. May because of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-20230518_173128.jpg  

HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 12:53   #55
BHPian

Interesting topic for a thread.
  • A brass "jhinuk" (spoon with a large bowl but small handle, to feed infants) that has now been used by 3 generations.
  • 2 wooden chairs at my folks' place which passed down from my grandfather to my father, around 50 years old.
  • Couple of T-shirts in their 17th year that are still strong.
  • A Paragon chappal that I use on a daily basis, also in its 17th year. I think it will last me a lifetime unless I walk on fire.

---- Electronics ----

• Onida KY Thunder CRT TV at my folks', in its 23rd year. Still sounds better than some 50k+ hifi systems these days.
  • A white XBOX 360 controller in its 12th year, which still gives better feedback in driving simulators after numerous drops to the floor.
  • An LG 27" monitor in its 11th year, also used every day (typing this reply using it). It has one dead pixel from day 1, but because it was near an edge and not too distracting, laziness overcame me and I never claimed replacement.
  • A Lenovo Yoga tablet from 2014 that I use for e-books. One of the rare tablets to offer 1200p on a 8" screen. Battery still lasts a week.
  • My main phone, a Moto X Play, bought on launch day in 2015 and still good enough as a daily driver. Battery is good for a couple of days with moderate usage.

Furniture/ metals with good quality usually last decades, but I am really surprised with some of the electronics items that were so well made not too long ago.
Old 20th May 2023, 12:35   #56
Team-BHP Support

The oldest item I had until recently was this oven. This was bought when I was 10 years old in the UK. It was brought over and installed in my mother house. When she moved to an apartment, it ws moved to my apartment.

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-db1b254394b945fb86677b4f5e81189d.jpeg

Bits fell off, the heating was uneven and it was a power hog. It soldered on. We got another oven for free so we pensioned it off. (Here it is off to be recycled).

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-img_3420.jpeg

While renovating our apartment. My wife had preserved the teak doors from her ancestral house. We reused them in our apartment

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-img_5204.jpeg

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-img_5213.jpeg

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-img_1375.jpg

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-img_1376.jpg

In other items, we used had a BPL top loading washing machine for 15 years till it broke. The Bosch that followed it worked for 7 years and gave up. We are on our second dishwasher.

Another anecdote was an old Tricity fridge. We had it from when I was 5 years old. Remember growing and rubbing the logos off. My parent bought Bosch machines to bring back and instead of discarding it, the fridge came along and was used in my Dads surgery. We closed the surgery down and gave it to a friend

The "imported" Bosch machines never worked properly later scrapped for Godrej in the 1980's. but the Tricity soldered on. I recollect seeing it still working in 2012. I dont know where it is now

Televisions - Started married life with a BPL 29", gave it to my mother who used it in the spare room till 2010. The replacement - a Hitachi plasma still works. I hardly watch TV so it solders on although the remote is kaput.

Phones - we use them till they break, get lost or unbearably slow.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 13:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajica View Post
2 things which I have since the last 28 years..

National Window AC
Konica SLR camera with bag (probably 30 years).
This camera brought back so many memories. My father grew up as a very pampered son in a joint family with many doting uncles. One of his uncles got him this exact same camera when he was going to Panama for his post-doctoral research. The prints of photos from this camera are still in the house, and it was my dad's primary camera till sometime in 2000/2001 - a couple of years after I was born. It was his trusty companion, and suffered god knows how many treacherous falls. It finally gave up when it got dunked in a stream when my dad was crossing a narrow log across the stream. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall, and along with him, the camera. It is still lying at my parent's house in Kolkata, albeit non functional. I intend to get it back in running shape sometime in the near future, if possible. Really appreciate how you've maintained this device.
Old 20th May 2023, 16:05   #58
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

We have a few heirloom stuff at home. Apparently what my mom's mother got from her mom at the time of her wedding. She handed it over to mom at the time of her wedding. These aricles, brass vessels, puja lamps and other things are apparently 150 years old.
What struck me was the weight!! Beautifully crafted stuff. These will never ever age!!
Old 21st May 2023, 01:06   #59
BHPian

500+ year old slow growth Redwood slabs used in the DIY dining table and coffee table. They can be refinished, repurposed like new forever.
Leatherman Wave multitool - lifelong warranty.
Cutco kitchen knives- Forever free replacement and sharpening, no questions asked ever.
Ricardo luggage- Forever free replacement warranty.
Motoport custom stitched motorcycle riding gear, lifelong warranty, and replacement for 50% if it costs more than 50% to repair. Even after a crash.
DeWalt woodworking tools
Rockler woodturning tools
Craftsman 290 piece socket wrench kit. Metric and SAE

I have added these into the inventory of my will. I am positive I can pass these on to the next generation.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 21st May 2023 at 01:12.
Old 21st May 2023, 15:01   #60
BHPian

My 2 cents
  1. A Nokia phone which still works. Its orange in colour and you can remove the top and bottom parts to see the electronics inside and can be used as a small torch
  2. A Samsung Semi Automatic machine which should have given up by now, but I guess even God doesnt know how it still works
  3. An LG AC well into its 17th year and has seen a number of shiftings and yet still continues to cool as good as when purchased. Only bummer is the plastic spare parts may not be available any longer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks