Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2023, 15:24   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Decathlon sandals which lasts for eternity despite several km
You must have gotten really lucky- I've gone through 3 pairs in the past 3 years! But I use it for everything- walking, driving, scrambling up trails, train and bus journeys, on the beach. Still, the durability seems really bad for these Decathlon sandals.

Last edited by am1m : 16th May 2023 at 15:25.
Old 16th May 2023, 15:53   #17
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
You must have gotten really lucky- I've gone through 3 pairs in the past 3 years! But I use it for everything- walking, driving, scrambling up trails, train and bus journeys, on the beach. Still, the durability seems really bad for these Decathlon sandals.
I had run 2 half marathons in those sandals with sports socks. I'm using 2nd pair in maybe 6th year. I'm surprised with poor life.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 16:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

My 1955 Landmaster is without AC, PS, MPFI, ECU, ABS, EBD and nothing can go wrong with it.

My 1987 Maruti 800 that critics had once said, is so delicately built that it will have to be discarded after five years of use, latest by 1992. Its 35 plus years old now.

My 1990 Yamaha RX 100 that has never let me down.

My 2003 Honda Activa 1G (not sure if HMSI will issue a 1G sticker/badge) thats my beast of burden.

Besides, the many ancient articles at home being passed on through generations are very precious to all my family and extended family members. I have bought none of these.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th May 2023 at 16:10.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 16:19   #19
BHPian

This will be a big list for me
-Dad's 2000 make Mahindra CL500 (aka Jeep) - Still in great shape, daily driver for local runs and farm duties.
-Several of my clothes and jackets are more than 5 to 8 years old, no plans to get rid of them as they are still as good.
-Same applies to few of my shoes and belts. Couple of good quality Nikes, and a couple of Woodlands. All are 5+ years now.
-A Victorinox pocket swiss knife. Probably 10 years old now.
-My trusty Casio F-91W - 5 plus years now.
-Macbook pro 13" 2015 make. Still going strong for daily browsing (Personal use).
-Tomtom Navigation brought in 2013 - I forgot the model name, but its a basic one with free EU map updates that I brought as a back up for phone navigation while travelling within EU. Still works like a charm.
-Swiss gear backpack given by my employer in 2015 when I joined - Still going super strong. A few colleagues have the same, some are even older - we have a bit of cult following within the office for this brand's back packs But the backpacks given to new comers are of some random brands these days.
There are more stuff like a appliances and kitchen stuff - but let me leave it here for now.
dileepcm is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 16:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LR-GUE View Post
Got this idea from reddit - r/BuyItForLife

BHPians kindly share your experience on long-lasting, durable and quality products you have owned in Indian conditons/environment. It can be about clothing, shoes and accessories, kitchen appliances, electronics, bags, tools and so on.

Mods kindly delete my post if it is not relevant.
My Paragon slipper, Bata faux leather sandals, Woodland leather sandals have lasted the test of time.

I've also heard that Durex also lasts long. Really long.
dual disc 200 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 17:09   #21
BHPian

I cant stop from posting this very unusual item that my dad bought from Delhi in 1985 for himself, when I was 7 years old - a not so expensive set of 6 wine glasses, of which 4 are still intact. These have shifted 5 houses and remained in the glassware display and reasonably used as well all these years. Their journey includes a road trip from UP to Pune after my dad's retirement.

Don't have a picture handy but every time I use them for my wine, it brings me a smile that its the age of glass that beats the age of wine in it hands down.

Last edited by Rodie09 : 16th May 2023 at 17:10.
Rodie09 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 17:09   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

- Honda Activa, especially if serviced and maintained well, they last for ever.
-Maruti 800s and Altos (the older versions). We have had a few of these in the family and every time we had to sell them (after decades of ownerships), we hardly are able to find any issues to sell them except the need to upgrade.
- my shaving brush Have had it since last 15 years and finally threw it away coz I got a new one with a razor.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 19:40   #23
BHPian

TVS Scooty that had a portion of compound wall fall on it (due to a drunk driver crashing I to it) and other then bent foot pegs and brake levers started up fine and body panels also were intact . Still running well over 12 years.

Mahindra Thar 2012 been through multiple floods and a non 7 hour stop and go traffic jam. Carried 20 wet sandbags weighing 30kg for flood prevention. Still runs like it's new.

HP laptop still running fine for over 10 years.

Phillips CRT TV and BPL microwave that lasted 25 years with only minor repairs that costed less than 500 bucks each time.

A Timex chronograph watch from 2003 which is still working without any issue. 20th year now that I realize with shock.

Levi's jeans lasted for years my waistline doesnt keep constant .

Hidesign leather wallet and belt both lasted easily 10+ years.
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 21:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have a shirt that is 29 years old. It is a light blue, half-sleeve Van Heusen shirt that my brother received as a gift back in 1994. He didn't fancy wearing this expensive shirt, so I got (took?) it from him.

It was my lucky shirt during my engineering days and I used to wear it to every university exam. If I had exams on consecutive days, my mother used to wash it, and get it pressed and ready for the next day It was the only branded shirt I had for a long time, so it was a regular fixture at any half-important function I attended. It hasn't faded noticeably. Or if it has, it has been uniform. Apart from a little rough texture in some places, it is as good as new.

These days it doesn't see much use, but it has outlasted other branded shirts which I bought years later. They don't make them like they used to.
StarrySky is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 22:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Things that have been passed down to me, or I bought, that have lasted / will last 50 years or more:

1. Some of my mechanical / self-winding watches. The oldest one I have is a pocket watch from 1914, with its provenance.

2. A couple of teak cabinets that my mother bought at an auction some 50 years ago, at which time they were already some 20-30 years old.

3. A collection of ties and suits, by my father, and then by me. The earliest ones are over 60 years old - fashionable still, though I hardly wear suits and ties any more.

4. My Vespa 150DZ from 1985. It still runs, but the government wants it destroyed.

5. Some dental hand instruments made by Ash England and Hu Friedy, that are between 30–70 years old, and still in routine use.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th May 2023 at 22:49.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 09:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a garage full of old cars! And some of my tools are even older!

But I choose this clock that is hanging in our living room. It has some special memories for me.

I had turned 18 and immediately had gotten my driving license. My dad had to go on business to The Hague. We lived in Amstelveen at the time, a suburb of Amsterdam. My dad asked if I could take him and my mum said she would come along too.

So whilst my dad was having his business meeting, my mum and I wondered around The Hague. My mum always liked clocks. We stumbled upon the nice jewellery which also sold a lot of clocks. My mum saw this clock and really liked it. She bought it on the spot. We took it home and we hung it straight away. It moved with my parents twice. My parents have both passed away many years ago. I got this and several other clocks too. My sisters were not interested.

Your list of buy-it-for-life long lasting products-img_1590.jpeg

So this clock has travelled around the world with us. We have moved house at least 12-14 times across three continents and this clock has been going with us all that time.

When we moved to our current and hopefully final home in 2017 the clock came too. It was the first ornament we put on the wall. It was not running very well. So I took it to get properly overhauled. First time in almost fifty years. Still running. Very accurate too. I need to rewind the weights once every week. It also has two springs for the chime mechanism, that needs regular winding. All completely mechanical and a true engineering marvel piece.

The clock itself is pretty ageless. It is heavy, so you need a proper brick or concrete wall with a proper anchor bolt to hang it.

This clock has a beautiful chime. Our grand children are fascinated by it when it strikes. I still own two other clocks from my parents. One is at least 30 year older than this one, but I prefer this one.

I would like to think this clock will last a couple of generations!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (41) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 10:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual disc 200 View Post
My Paragon slipper, Bata faux leather sandals, Woodland leather sandals have lasted the test of time. I've also heard that Durex also lasts long. Really long.
Good to know and agree with Bata. But also heard that some of the things mentioned above cannot be reused

---

Coming to some of my own stuff.

* The examination clipboard (cardboard types) that I bought for my Std 10th exam, is now doing duties for my kiddo, who is also presently in Std 10th

* My 'Hero' (embossed with the famous 'Made in China') fountain pen bought during my school days is now being fondly used by my nephew

* A 'Staples' file arranger (bought in the UK) around 17 yrs ago, is still being used and is in very good condition

* Timex chronograph gifted by wifey in 2006, running absolutely fine even today

* A Tommy Hilfiger wallet bought around 12 years ago, has nicely aged but still used
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 10:17   #28
BHPian

Nice Thread.

1. Eureka Forbes Vacuum Cleaner (seems will outlast me)
2. Tools (I always buy the best with buy it for life mentality)
3. Lego Building blocks (will outlast everyone)
4. Few Brass vessels my Mom got in wedding (50+ years)
5. A metal case analog Casio table clock (50+ years)
6. Almirahs (One was bought by my father when he started working)
7. A solid cane used by my father to discipline me (I use it now)

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 11:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

As such there are so many items to enumerate but a few relatively modern items worth listing which are 15 years old :
1) Yamaha 5.1 Home theatre system which still sounds as thunderous as when it was brought.
2) LG washing machine and Samsung fridge which are still going strong, the fridge especially.
3) Our basic furniture -beds/ wardrobes , TV shelf , all wood work and feel almost unbreakable.

I have changed more cars during this period.
Old 17th May 2023, 11:34   #30
BHPian

My Casio G-shock G340 which I bought in class tenth back in 2012. First battery lasted 9 years and the watch is looking brand new with some new straps. It was also used daily for over 18 months in Various Ship's engine rooms, which is saying something. I have nicer watches in my collection now, but this G is a keeper.
Maverick_4662 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks