Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 23:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Do *you* get intimidated/bullied by larger vehicles on the road?

Yes! It has become usual for me as I own hatchbacks. However, it is less disturbing today compared to the days I bought my first car. It could be because mostly the System One is in action that effectively neglects these vehicles. Otherwise, it could be due to the recent flood of SUVs in which these bullies lost their dominance. Apart from this, I think, the Fastag has done some psychological change in drivers attitude. Earlier, the number of vehicles bearing the flags were more compared to these days and many of them don't pay any tolls thinking that road is their own property. Now when they are forced to pay the toll and this might be reminding them that they are just road users like anyone else on the road. Also, I see a drop in number of flag bearing vehicles.

The latest trend of powerful LEDs irritates a lot. These blind drivers make others also blind which is a real safety concern. I find, the behavior of honking and flashing lights are kind of psychological disorders. So, I just give way for these bullies with despise. Moreover, driving is more enjoyable when you can find peace in it. A powerful car assure you peace of driving. Similarly, I have not seen the drivers of luxury cars being intimidated even by state transport vehicles. Even, the MTC drivers of Chennai keep a distance from these cars.

Also, I think, there is no correlation with the size of the vehicle, rather I find, the issue is with a few category/make of vehicles. For example, among SUVs, Mahinda Scorpio, Toyota Fortuner are the bad guys on road. Among pickups, Ashok Leyland Dostana drivers do it frequently. Many of these vehicles will have some sticker or wrapper that explains who they are on road. On the other side, I think, the drivers of national permit trucks are the best humans on the road. They are very patient and compassionate on road; kudos to them.
On4Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 05:45   #32
BHPian

Oh man the number of R15 guys I deal with on a daily basis

kTM's brand image has taken a hit because of chapris. A chapri who sees a KTM immediately starts to ride rash and overtake. I just let them pass and make their day.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 08:46   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Do you give way to a honking larger vehicle in the rear view mirror even if you are on the fastest lane and driving in the upper band of speed limit ?
Quote:
I generally do not give way to rowdy SUVs on the rightmost lane, no matter what car I am driving, if I am within the upper band of the speed limit.
Before responding to anything else, I feel compelled to clarify:
The right most lane on a freeway is not supposed to be hogged up for continuous cruising, even if you are at the upper end of the speed limit. It is strictly for overtaking.

This used to be a typical cabbie trait of driving (one cabbie even told me in Hindi years ago when I asked him why he’s doing this - Sir, best to just hold the right lane and drive along all the way peacefully. No need to move for anyone.. Its disappointing that even educated drivers driving private plate cars don’t seem to get this.

Even in cities, I’d assume one is occupying lanes based on where they want to go at the next signal.

On your other points, I’m generally a defensive driver so regardless of the size of the vehicle, I’d move aside or give way or leave space. Best to let a nuisance making driver go ahead. Also, if a driver is driving rashly or badly, I’m safer behind him than the other way around. That way I’m in more control of avoiding any untoward incident.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th June 2023 at 09:13.
Axe77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 09:32   #34
BHPian

Do *you* get intimidated/bullied by larger vehicles on the road?-hqdefault-mod.jpg

Ahhh, as a person who has driven all over the Highway system of TN, nothing intimidates me as much as this thing in my IRVM with its classic dual horn blowing down at you. Would just give way to it ASAP without any 2nd thoughts.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th June 2023 at 05:48. Reason: Image edited - political
Sierra__foxtrot is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 09:53   #35

I believe the fast lane on highways is only for overtaking and not for cruising along. So if I am in the fast lane I will always give way to the vehicle coming up behind me, irrespective of the size of the vehicle. It is also the most prudent thing to do since it is not our responsibility to regulate others' speed, and blocking their way may only lead to road rage incidents.
R-Drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 09:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Well, from my personal viewpoint, when I am at the receiving end (driving a small car and a bigger car tries to bully me), I am unaffected for large part, unless its an ambulance or unless there is apparent emergency. I generally do not give way to rowdy SUVs on the rightmost lane, no matter what car I am driving, if I am within the upper band of the speed limit.
I don't know if I understood this correctly, but - I think it is not correct to drive continuously on the right land (fast lane) by blocking the vehicles following you even if you are maintaining the speed limit for the lane, especially in case of 4 lane highways (one side two lanes ). For eg: if the speed limit is 100 kmph, driving at 100 kmph on the right lane throughout is not a good thing, and if you get a chance come to the slower lane. User the faster lane for overtaking only. But yes, if you do not have a chance to come to the slower lanes due to vehicle congestion, then it's fine - no need to give a chance to a vehicle behind you.
kiranknair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 10:19   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I’m intimidated by BEST buses, motorcycles and autorickshaws in Mumbai, otherwise be it a politician’s car with his convoy or any other large SUV/sedan I do not get intimidated and move out of his/her way….
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 10:21   #38

I try to keep my ego in check when driving - as much as humanly possible for me. So if someone wants to pass me, is driving rashly etc. I do give way to them. I don't feel bullied as the only thing in my mind is my safety. Nobody cares about the speed limit in India. So it doesn't matter which lane or speed I am driving in. Always give way to those in a hurry. Maybe it's a genuine emergency for them.
mayankthebest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 10:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Do you give way to a honking larger vehicle in the rear view mirror even if you are on the fastest lane and driving in the upper band of speed limit ?

Do you feel threatned and move leftwards when you see a vehicle larger than your's approaching head on on an undivided road (sometimes, crossing the marked barrier) ?

Do you feel that a larger vehicle(mostly white or black color SUVs) is/must be driven by a Local politician/Gunda/Overnight rich urban villager and you must treat him with certain respect on the road ?

Do you feel you are bullied on the road if you are driving a small car and people "judge" you even on the roads ?
A simple answer is Yes, I let them pass at the first available opportunity - not because I feel threatened or intimidated, but because I have better things in life to take care of than to get into an argument with a goon. I am least bothered about the other vehicle - be it an Alto or a Fortuner. If someone is driving like an idiot, I would stay as far away from them as possible. My family's safety is paramount for me.

Quote:
I generally do not give way to rowdy SUVs on the rightmost lane, no matter what car I am driving, if I am within the upper band of the speed limit.
Well, considering the kind of idiots we deal with on our roads every day, I would suggest to not block them for too long. I once had a Fortuner brake check me (from around 100 to 20ish) after overtaking since I slowed down for an unscientific speed breaker a little earlier. Do not lose your peace of mind just because an idiot annoyed you.

Quote:
How do you react as a person to bullying by larger vehicles (compared to yours) on Indian roads ?
Let him pass and laugh at how badly the poor vehicle is being driven.

Just because I mentioned that I would let them pass multiple times does not mean I do it immediately (only exception being emergency vehicles like ambulances). I do it only when it is safe for me to do so, until then, they can flash lights at me/honk their way to glory.
furyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 11:35   #40
Team-BHP Support

It depends

If it is an open road and safe, I will put my foot down and outrun them, and later on discretely slow down and let them proceed. Larger vehicles are not normally nimble enough

If situation is risky, let them go, best to keep them in your view. Use them to open up the road
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 11:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't matter if the vehicle is larger or smaller. Most of the time they won't get the opportunity to honk as I keep an eye on all mirrors. If I notice a faster vehicle in my rearview, I move out of the way to let them pass (if there is space). Nothing to do with vehicle size or ego. I simply consider it common courtesy.

If someone else wants to go faster than me, I see no reason not to let them pass.

Quote:
Do you feel threatned and move leftwards when you see a vehicle larger than your's approaching head on on an undivided road (sometimes, crossing the marked barrier) ?
I do not move leftwards as that would put me in a dangerous situation, but I do slow down. Vehicle size does not matter. A Fortuner would do a lot more damage to me than a Swift, but I do not want to get into an accident with either.

Quote:
Do you feel that a larger vehicle(mostly white or black color SUVs) is/must be driven by a Local politician/Gunda/Overnight rich urban villager and you must treat him with certain respect on the road ?
Not at all, their status does not cross my mind. If they are driving slowly, I overtake and move on. If one of these guys is genuinely going faster than me, I let them pass.

For me, respecting other vehicles simply means not putting them in a dangerous situation. And I respect all other road users equally. My desire to drive quickly does not give me the right to give someone else a scare. All my overtakes are well-calculated, done patiently and safely, regardless if the other vehicle is a truck, bus, White/Black Fortuner, Scorpio, or 2-wheeler.

Quote:
Do you feel you are bullied on the road if you are driving a small car and people "judge" you even on the roads ?
The only time I felt this was when driving a friend's Nano. Everyone bullied that car. I feel the problem though, wasn't the size, but lack of power, and my lack of confidence in the Nano's brakes/tyres. My Honda City isn't some huge SUV, but I can bully bigger vehicles with it if I need to.

Quote:
Well, from my personal viewpoint, when I am at the receiving end (driving a small car and a bigger car tries to bully me), I am unaffected for large part, unless its an ambulance or unless there is apparent emergency. I generally do not give way to rowdy SUVs on the rightmost lane, no matter what car I am driving, if I am within the upper band of the speed limit.
Why? Is it an ego thing? Do you feel it is your responsibility to enforce the speed limit? The only thing you are achieving is forcing them to overtake you from the left, which creates a more dangerous situation for everyone involved, yourself included.

If you wish to pass someone, please do so safely. If someone else wants to pass you, please enable them to do so safely as well.
kadanaJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 11:40   #42
BHPian

Big YES. My majority of driving is in highways. If it is something like Creta/Seltos or vehicle in that segment, I will wait until they actually want to overtake. I do not try to maintain same speed as them instead I reduce my speed and let them pass by. But if it's something like Fortuner/Innova or any vehicles of that size, I immediately shift to the left lane the moment I spot them in my rear view mirror. Most of the times the speed with which they approach it just takes couple of seconds between appearing in my mirror and crossing me.

Also any yellow board cars, I just stay away because they try to squeeze through between the slightest of the gaps. So rather than that I will let them clear and avoid any clutter of vehicles and drive in peace
Revvatron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 11:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:

How does it affect you ?
I play it safe

1. Do you give way to a honking larger vehicle in the rear view mirror even if you are on the fastest lane and driving in the upper band of speed limit ?
Yes, I do unless the situation is so that it is dangerous to give way. In that case I might speed up or block and let them pass when it is safe to do so. It's in such situations I appreciate the quick pickup of my car. And very rarely, if the other vehicle made an unwanted pass I might just use my engine power to make a point if that vehicle is in a league that I can take upon
2. Do you feel threatned and move leftwards when you see a vehicle larger than your's approaching head on on an undivided road (sometimes, crossing the marked barrier) ?
Not always, but most times I accept that the driver on the other side is an unsafe driver and I try to dodge it and make safer moves, even if it means I have to get off the road when it is safe to do so. The KSRTC buses in Kerala are not worth risking our lives or our car.
3. Do you feel that a larger vehicle(mostly white or black color SUVs) is/must be driven by a Local politician/Gunda/Overnight rich urban villager and you must treat him with certain respect on the road ?
Not always. It doesn't matter what vehicle it is - I prefer to be safe than sorry.
4. Do you feel you are bullied on the road if you are driving a small car and people "judge" you even on the roads ?
Somewhat Yes.
Also, I definitely try to give way to ambulances as soon as possible, sometimes even getting off the road and stopping.

Last edited by sudeepg : 10th June 2023 at 11:46.
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 11:45   #44

Interesting thread.

While I'll admit yielding to larger, imposing vehicles than mine, I would not consider it bullying. It's been a learning over years of driving, so I believe it's an understanding of the position of each vehicle on the road.

Remember a friend of mine from the auto industry talk about concept of "right of way". Though not clearly written in rules, it serves as a convenient thumb rule for what to do. Pedestrians and larger vehicle always have right of way, Vehicles approaching from right have the right of way and such.

Having said that, I'm not taking bullying from anybody else however loud or aggressive they are. Infact I'll go extra mile to deny what they want as far as it doesn't risk safety.
allwynkingsley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 11:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hypothetically yes,I would do so. Practically, I drive in the middle lane & always keep a watch on any potential 'F1' driver closing in from the rear horizon! I feel it's really unsafe to have a vehicle trying to overtake you at high speeds because if the driver loses control while changing lanes (swerving in this case), it is me who'll end up somewhere.

Quote:
Do you feel threatened and move leftwards when you see a vehicle larger than your's approaching head on on an undivided road (sometimes, crossing the marked barrier) ?
Most certainly, yes. I am presently posted in the North-East (being in the Forces) & believe me, the incidents of head-on collisions here due to vehicles overtaking & hitting the oncoming traffic, is a regular occurrence. The bus drivers moving from Tenga (Arunachal) / Jorhat to Guwahati, drive like possessed souls. The worst part of the highways here is that the shoulders of the road give way to an abrupt slope which is like a mini-ravine. In case one tries to go left for avoiding an oncoming vehicle, chances are that the tyres will go down the slope causing a major accident.

Quote:
No, I don't. However, it is a fact that Indians buy large SUVs (mostly white) in order to project a certain image. Seen this in almost all parts of the country except Southern India where I didn't get much of an opportunity to drive.

Quote:
Very much so. The behaviour of many drivers might be influenced by this factor. The reason may be more to do with changing societal norms. I'll narrate an amusing (as per my wife) fact on this. Till 2014, I was the proud owner of an Indica. Now, when we enter or exit our Cantonments, the Sentry is supposed to stop the vehicle for a security check. So whenever I was stopped, the guards used to stare with round eyes seeing a Major Saab driving an Indica! However, when I changed to a sedan, the same sentry used to give me an approving look . It's funny but that is how we as a society judge (even subconsciously) people by the cars they drive, the watches they wear or the Mobile phones they carry.
nda992 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks