Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2023, 19:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Do *you* get intimidated/bullied by larger vehicles on the road?

What I have experienced is little bit different.

When driving my i10 / Santro, no one even bothers to look at me the mortal - they drive like I don't exist on road.

But when I am riding Kodiaq 2.0 TSI - we have a VIP number on it - normally going drivers at the moment notice, behave radically the moment they see this vehicle.

They don't honk but very oftenly start to race with her - keep her circling around like a bug - as if I am some college going girl - until they get frustrated & leave.
SilverSmoke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 19:41   #62
VVN
BHPian

I wouldn't call it intimidated. I prefer to take the mature and safer route and give way to the nonsensical drivers who tailgate aggressively, flash lights incessantly and zoom away with no regard for safety. It is better to let nature take its course with such drivers. If I am in the middle lane between 80-100kmph, there is no way I am moving for such idiots. In most cases, they themselves overtake by zig zagging along the highway. Unfortunately, I cannot say this without sounding biased but the Fortuners, Scorpios and cabbies in Innovas are the biggest culprits. Ah well, it's all about brittle egos with such immature drivers.

Last edited by VVN : 10th June 2023 at 19:44.
VVN is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 19:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Before responding to anything else, I feel compelled to clarify:
The right most lane on a freeway is not supposed to be hogged up for continuous cruising, even if you are at the upper end of the speed limit. It is strictly for overtaking.
This is not emphasized enough. I understand when some roads force you to do this but people continue to do this on brand new high-quality highways too!

The right lane should be treated like a public toilet. Get in, finish your business (i.e. overtake) and get out of it as soon as possible.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th June 2023 at 20:39.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 20:05   #64
BHPian

Quote:
The right lane should be treated like like a public toilet. Get in, finish your business (i.e. overtake) and get out of it as soon as possible.
Yes, yes and yes. I never use the rightmost lane and stick to middle lane, letting the faster guys go. I couldn't be bothered if the vehicle behind me belongs to the PM. If it's unsafe for me changing lanes to let him pass, I will not even if he dances bollocks naked. This actually happened on the Yelahanka flyover near the AFB. I was in the middle of an overtake when I find a politicians cavalcade Fortuner honking the crap out of everyone. I was at a 100 kmph, him at around 130. I finished my overtake and came to the left and there was the Safari suit guy on the left seat wildly gesturing and shouting, I just waved at him to move on.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 21:19   #65
BHPian

Rather than the vehicle, it is the maniac behind the wheels who can be intimidating. It could be a maniac on a two wheeler or an auto or a SUV or a government bus. As I live close to the ECR, which means I use it quite often for my travels. And of late I find a lot of fake Schumi's and fake Rossi's traversing up and down on ECR. A simple example could be two wheelers coming in the opposite direction with headlights on and not having the basic iota of common sense. That is pretty intimidating given the fact that one has to swerve to the right to avoid these idiots.

On highway drives, it is the idiots who have aftermarket LED lights fitted on their vehicle which invariably blinds the driver in front. I have also come across a few maniacs drive vehicles such as an Alto or a Tavera drive like maniacs and endangering other road users.

Another recent irritant I've noticed is government vehicles driving as if there is no tomorrow by constantly honking and flashing headlights. About a month back I actually reported a rashly driven Innova which had a Police symbol and a government registration.

As one member pointed out, at toll plazas I never get intimidated by anyone who tries to squeeze in or jump the queue. I just maintain my line.

Finally during my bike riding days, the moment I saw a KTM or heard one I would move over as these guys are known for crazy driving - I used to drive a Standard Bullet (left brake one).
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 21:23   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
Most certainly, yes. I am presently posted in the North-East (being in the Forces) &
Now, when we enter or exit our Cantonments, the Sentry is supposed to stop the vehicle for a security check. So whenever I was stopped, the guards used to stare with round eyes seeing a Major Saab driving an Indica! However, when I changed to a sedan, the same sentry used to give me an approving look . It's funny but that is how we as a society judge (even subconsciously) people by the cars they drive, the watches they wear or the Mobile phones they carry.
Sir.
Utmost respect at all times for the Brave Soldiers of our Forces. I am Proud to have lots of friends presently serving in and many who have also retired from the Forces. I think (as per my observation) in Cantonment towns and areas where the Armed Forces have a good presence, inherently the civilian folk tend to be respectful. An Army sticker or flag or number plate insignia on the vehicle automatically causes the other road users to give polite respect.

Your point about how in modern India people get judged by the cars they drive, watches they wear and mobile phones they carry is absolutely true. I guess this is modern materialism. It would be good if we all stopped to think and appreciate that we are all free and safe because of the brave people of our Forces, guarding us.

I like to “thumb my nose” to this above type of ‘judgemental behaviour’ and this is why I absolutely LOVE taking my non AC soft top Gypsy, if I am called upon to go someplace where everyone else is bound to show up in some fancy car.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 23:46   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sir.
Utmost respect at all times for the Brave Soldiers of our Forces.

It would be good if we all stopped to think and appreciate that we are all free and safe because of the brave people of our Forces, guarding us.

I like to “thumb my nose” to this above type of ‘judgemental behaviour’ and this is why I absolutely LOVE taking my non AC soft top Gypsy, if I am called upon to go someplace where everyone else is bound to show up in some fancy car.
Firstly, thank you Shankar Sir, for your kind & encouraging words. Coming from a senior BHPian, I will wear it proudly as a medal on my chest. We all are serving the nation in our own ways & I feel that even this forum is doing its bit by providing a path for many young drivers to learn road rules & etiquette.

It's about time that the Traffic Police starts enforcing rules equally for everyone, including heavyweights. The only exception for a pass on the road should be for emergency services like the Ambulances /Fire Brigade etc.

Sir, it would be a pleasure to meet up with you & take a ride in your Gypsy someday!!
nda992 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 00:40   #68
BHPian

Bullying in any form or context is unpalatable, anti-social and reprehensible. In fact, one would expect people not to indulge in any form of bullying/ intimidation on public roads that are built/maintained off taxpayers’ money. Besides, if people are to uphold any semblance to being a civilised society, bullying has no place in our lives. (maybe it sounds too idealistic but rings true!!)

As is the frequency of experiencing bullying by other road users in the large metros, highways, etc., the worst thing is it can damage one’s self confidence to drive (esp., where one loves their rides) or manifest by subconsciously exhibiting some of those behaviours by oneself (thus, perpetuating such misdemeanours).

*How does it affect you ?*
• For one, it does take away the joy of driving, becoming overly cautious/defensive driver to prevent accidents, road rage, etc.—thus, impacting the overall experience/stress levels while being out on the road.

*Do you give way to a honking larger vehicle… upper band of speed limit ?*
• Firstly, would only use the rightmost/fastest lane for overtaking and move to the middle/left lane (depending on the roads). Lastly, when it comes to emergency vehicles (ambulance, fire engines, police, and the like)—they get the right of way no questions (of course in high traffic situations, subject to space being available for a safe manoeuvre). Other than that any other morons, it’s not worth indulging them, so in the present times, I do keep and eye out for them while driving and let them overtake.

*Do you feel threatened and move leftwards… on an undivided road?*
• As a matter of principle, I mostly hold my line/lane to my side of the marked road and indicate to the other road users to get into theirs. Mostly others realise and reciprocate but several morons with their inflated egos or rush to overtake at times are unrelenting in which case I would slow down and/or manoeuvre further left (if road clearance allows) to give them the right of way / and to avoid a side sweep/collision.

*Do you feel that a larger vehicle(mostly white or black color SUVs)… treat him with certain respect on the road ?*
• Think my perspective has changed over the years as I have matured both in age and as a driver: in the early years (first self bought car was a Fiat Palio hatchback) I would hold the lane if I was driving at max speeds and felt they were tailgating unnecessarily—to the extent that on one such occasion the PSOs of some VVIP (private citizen) waved their guns at my direction while passing me (wish we had dashcams, then), when I eventually found room on the road to let them overtake—boy was I angry and disgusted by the entitled (bordering on criminal) behaviour! However, since those days, and having upgraded to a D2 sedan over the years, I know how to spot these privileged morons and/or recklessly driven vehicles and for some years now, more than happy to let them overtake even before they start breathing down my neck (keep an eye out via the ORVMs). As someone called out it’s fun to let them pass and encounter someone else of their own kind on the road. (as they say, Karma’s a b****)

Having said that, on rare occasions, I would let such brash SUVs overtake me, and should I happen to find a clear stretch of road ahead (fully minding traffic safety), I would switch over to the ‘Sport’ mode of my D2 sedan, and just zip past them, leaving them in the dust. That’s when the limitations of driving a tall, BOF vehicle hits them hard!

*Do you feel you are bullied on the road if you are driving a small car and people "judge" you even on the roads ?*
• Even today, while driving/being driven in a smaller one that’s a beater car for within the city, there’s definitely a marked difference in how other road users react to/ judge it Vs. when I am out in my D2 sedan. Ironically, the D2 sedan gets a bit more respect from autowallahs, buses, etc. in and around Delhi (perception of premium segment cars), however, it’s almost invisible to such yellow plate/public transportation drivers in Tier-2/3 towns where it’s really hard to get the right of way (incl., experiencing bullying by the autowallahs, goods carriers, and the like, two wheelers, even..)
Sen_auto_sation is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 00:44   #69
BHPian

It's not the bigger / more expensive vehicles that act as bullies but rather the autos, delivery bikes and ericks that are a dime a dozen and don't give two hoots about the law. The bigger private vehicles tend to follow the traffic rules more than these guys. The only thing that scares these rowdies are the RTC buses - they own the roads and fear no law
akg7091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 01:07   #70
BHPian

Hatchbacks are the main victims here, Tall SUV’s with their powerful led’s nowadays can make driving experience of a low to the ground hatchback driver an absolute headache during highway drives at night, it’s the light flashing that bothers me more than the honking but the fun part is, not to encourage speeding in any way but even a popular 200 plus bhp brute SUV cannot keep up with a tuned Polo GT TSI as I have seen them get tinier many times in my rear view mirror..sleeper cars make the bullies more humble.
VwRabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 01:14   #71
BHPian

The biggest bullies in my area are the Alto and Sumo taxi drivers and Government vehicles (generally boleros). They don't care whether there is a small car or a mighty SUV. They bully everyone.

I generally get offended by two types of actions
1. When someone tries to overtake dangerously without a clear pass (hill roads). I don't care about their life, they put mine in danger by such actions. So I bully them in return.
2. When there is a clear pass but the vehicle in front of me keeps blocking me for no obvious reason. Then I start bullying them but I always know my limits.
I generally drive aiming for better fuel efficiency, which helps me become a better driver. I always let others pass whenever I can give them a pass without putting myself in danger. And I don't try to overtake anyone unless I firmly believe that the vehicle in front of me is too slow and I have a clear pass.
On hill roads, we have to respect the other vehicles also. Whenever there is a heavy vehicle like bus or truck coming from the other side, we have to let them pass first, or else there will be huge traffic jams. The bus or truck drivers also let us overtake whenever there is a clear pass.
This type of mutual respect is absent in taxi and government drivers.
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 01:22   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Oh man the number of R15 guys I deal with on a daily basis

kTM's brand image has taken a hit because of chapris. A chapri who sees a KTM immediately starts to ride rash and overtake. I just let them pass and make their day.
Pretty sure you'd have used the slang meaning for Chapri, but please do be aware that it's a casteist slur. Would be nice to avoid
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 05:48   #73
BHPian

In Hyderabad the local RTC busses intimidate, push off lanes, push off roads and drive and turn in such a way that any smaller vehicle has to brake and give way to them.
If you are ahead of them a constant honking with illegal horn continues until you give way. And they don’t care if you give them way at the cost of your safety. Many novice drivers often hit or get side swiped by other cars when diving wayvto these roudy bus drivers. They never stop at their designated bus bay, they stop almost in the middle of the road.
Just one experience below how one RTC bus tried to intimidate me.’
We have a newly built flyover on a big 4 lane each side road. Unfortunately they took three lanes for the flyover and only one lane for vehicles not using it. I was driving in middle lane approaching the flyover. The speed was about 50. An RTC bus was in the right most lane, little ahead of me. As the bridge approached the bus driver take a 45 degree turn to not miss going in the single road inn the left. He almost swiped my right side and if I hadn’t braked hard definitely the front part on right would’ve been damaged. I got furious as this was first time in this way. But soon realized he has a bigger vehicle and it’s not his personal one. He was literally brandishing this bus which is given to him by public taxes.
The police are lineant towards these rowdy bus drivers as they have hand in glove with RTC authorities.
Question is whether to get blowing hot over this? I say no. Any dannage to your vehicle means going through the tom foolery of cunning insurance agents, corrupt policemen, wastage of time and disturbing mental peace.
It’s not worth it.
Leave it to their karna.
Get to your intended location in time, get your work done, come back home. Watch your favorite show.
Life is more than some intimidatory bus driver!
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 05:52   #74
BHPian

Being in Bangalore, I've noticed the following entities which can be fit to be called 'bullies' -

a. Tempo travellers - They use no headlights, indicators, drive rashly, dart towards you continuously sounding their dual tone musical horn. You'll never notice where they are because these guys come out of nowhere and disappear just as quick. They have no regard for anyone on the road, so it's best to let them go, the safest option.

b. Private buses - These are the ones that you can commonly identify by the "Rolls Royce" painted on the sides. They have no lights on the inside or the outside, follow no lane discipline, blast music at high volumes, and put everyone else on the road at danger due to their driving style. They're not worth dealing with, so the wisest choice would be get out of their way ASAP. This also applies to AP state buses on banglore roads.

c. The cars. Innovas and Fortuners galore. They establish dominance on the roads by sounding their distinctive dual tone horns and flashing their lights aggressively, while tailgating everyone in their way. This is essentially them saying "Get outta my way, and stay in your lane!" These guys drive pretty fast, so most of the times i let them go and follow them. I usually choose wisely not to fight with a bull, atleast in this lifetime.

d. The crazier cars. Mostly driven by edgy young adults and teens. Consists of the heavily modded Zens, Esteems, OHCs and many more. They have a very fragile ego and just wanna dart past everyone they see on the road, even if it means swerving past lanes and squeezing through the smallest gap they see, putting themselves dangerously close to the vehicles in front of them, and behind them. I wouldn't wanna get involved with these guys, who knows what they would do.

e. Almost forgot an important one. The goods vehicles. These include the overloaded Tata Ace, Bolero pick up and other vehicles which belong to the category. They're basically as frustrating as autorickshaws, but bigger. They really drive like they own the road. The scariest part is when i see pipes and rods sticking out of the rear of the vehicle, makes my anxiety go up. Who knows when it's going to fall? I just decide to switch lanes entirely and/or make sure i keep a really good distance from them.

All said and done, one thing that frustrates me the most is autorickshaws and two wheelers driving on the right most lane, way below the speed limit, holding back everyone behind them. They are pretty arrogant in their ways, and only move aside after continuous honking, and the signature, slowed wave, indicating that we are finally free to pass. This message of theirs basically translates to, "I'm not in a hurry, no not at all!" The two wheelers are a bit better in this case. They move aside on most cases pretty safely and let everyone else pass. This doesn't justify why they were there in the first case!

Finally, my rant on Bangalore traffic is over.

Thanks

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 11th June 2023 at 05:55.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 06:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

India is still unfortunately a society where size matters in all material aspects. If you want to make a U turn in a busy lane in a small hatch ( Tiago in my case) , people dont even bother to wait ans swarm all around you trying to get past. But if I try the same even in small crossover like the Creta, people do wait up for a minute. I sometimes think to myself, having a car including and upwards of the Thar is sometimes good just to create a presence.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks