Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2023, 21:39   #91

Re: Do *you* get intimidated/bullied by larger vehicles on the road?

What a great thread!

This discussion reminds me of an incident that occurred when recently a friend of mine who now lives in the US came down to India. A few years ago when he was settled in India, he used to drive his Polo everyday from Vashi to BKC and back.

This time, he borrowed his friends Fortuner and after a few days of driving, comes and tells me how much he thinks the traffic situation has improved. I couldn't hold my laughter when I told him it's not the traffic, it's his car!

Next time he took the car out, he observed how people react to him v/s how they react to other smaller cars on the road and he realised why I was laughing. When I sat on the front passenger seat of the Fortuner, I literally saw other cars laying a proverbial red carpet for him. People wouldnt even honk! The view from behind the windshield of my humble Jazz is.. well... let's just say, not very similar.

And this is probably why people in India pay a premium for butch looking cars. It's not that they consiously want to bully smaller vehicles, but we have created a social heirarchy on the roads based on who is respected how much and people obviously want to gradually climb up the heirarchy unconsciously.

Now a put how i handle bullies, I have over the years realised that if I engage with bullies, I end up losing my peace of mind and it takes several minutes, if not hours, to get back to my calm happy state. So I just give way to those who are in a big rush and tell myself, maybe there is a medical emergency. Why should I come in the way? On the scale of peace of mind vs ego, I have, with some difficulty, learned to add greater weight to peace of mind.
explo.re is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 22:53   #92
BHPian

Not to instigate anyone but might help when situation demands.

One of the motivational quotes by Dwayne Johnson

Do *you* get intimidated/bullied by larger vehicles on the road?-screenshot-20230614-224800.jpg
Old 15th June 2023, 12:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

This pic kinda depicts how small car owners feel when that bigger bully is behind us

Do *you* get intimidated/bullied by larger vehicles on the road?-img_1385.jpeg
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 00:38   #94
BHPian

My 2 cents : The extreme right lane is the overtaking lane or the passing lane on highways as opposed to the center or left lane which are traveling lanes. Even if one is traveling at the maximum speed limit decided for the road, you are not supposed to block the overtaking / passing lane.

It is perfectly all right for you to go above the speed limit for a short duration of time in the overtaking lane should you wish to overtake the car in front of you.
bwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 11:30   #95

I also use the rightmost lane only for overtaking and not for cruising. Driving at the speed limit mentioned does not give us the right to block the fastest lane.

In most of the highways (3 lanes) too the indicator boards very clearly states that the Third lane is for HMV, second lane for LMV and First lane to be used for overtaking.

Even in case of two lane highways, and if I'm driving in the top most lane, I promptly move aside the moment I spot any vehicle fast approaching me, regardless of the size - intimidating or not.
Aj_Pod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 18:57   #96
BHPian

Yes frequently. Some of the trucks just cross road in front of you as if we don’t exist!
Can’t blame them much if the car is near invisible from their drivers eye view.

Do *you* get intimidated/bullied by larger vehicles on the road?-02c1672325a3446c9c774940b3470848.jpeg
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 23:11   #97
BHPian

I wonder why this kind of behavior is specific to India, the only reason I can think of is-

1) perhaps something to do with caste based religion/society upper/lower may have played a role during foundation times maybe?
2) most people are first generation drivers, automobile culture only begun recently in india, so moving from extreme poverty to 4 wheels makes people think that they are superior beings
3) extreme rich poor divide
4) way of thinking for the masses is not progressive, but regressive.
5) infrastructure design does not promote civility, as it was not designed by professional agency but some local contractors, every city/state has different design and rules - not consistent

On the other hand, despite being relatively poor country, even a country like Thailand has basics right. Reasonably clean roads, no dust, no muck, no horn, reasonable road manners. You will not have this kind of discussion over there. I have a strong feeling that homogeneous societies tend to perform better. Not to mention forward looking progressive religion/culture/way of life.

Last edited by aerohit : 24th June 2023 at 23:13.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 00:37   #98
RDS
BHPian

One bus driver almost killed me and co-passenger few months back while I was returning to Delhi from Uttrakhand.

There was this Bus with words "On Govt Duty", that was too close behind and continuously honking.
However, there was slow moving traffic and a big vehicle in front.

I got towards right a little to check whether I have space to overtake and the Bus driver went full left and put his bus towards my left almost trying to hit me.

I had to further go right to avoid being hit on left which put me on wrong side of road with heavy oncoming traffic.

I am pretty sure had it been someone with less driving experience, it would have resulted in multiple accidents that day.

I slammed (slowing down not stopping) brakes kept as left as possible and used dippers furiously, not losing control of car.

Then, in a min or two, I overtook the same bus and slowed down in front.

I gave the bus driver a very stern warning from car window. Of course how part, I can't highlight here.

He then maintained good distance, didn't honk and overtook only when he could from right. But again after overtaking, he drove very fast almost hitting vehicles on the way.

I noted down the bus number and tried Police and Traffic Emergency numbers. Nothing worked. I even called DSP number, Dehradun, nada, no help , nothing.

Someone did pick up when I made DSP call but gave me medical emergency number when I informed him about rash driving and accident possibility.

I do have a dashcam and had everything recorded (lost now as my computer hard drive recently got replaced but I can try searching notes for bus number if that is useful).

Is there any service at National level where vehicles like these can be reported?

Well, for sure, if you are going to Uttrakhand, you are own your own mostly. Even near Dehradun,.no replies to my calls at Police emergency service numbers.

Usually, I drive at higher end of permissible speed limits in correct lane and there is not much intimidation I face at these speeds, even in my nimble Aspire.

The cars that want to be quick make their way from here and there, and if on mountains, I readily give way as I love slow hill driving.

In cities, I am a normal easy going driver, and sometimes there might be bigger cars that try to intimidate, they quickly find it doesn't work with me and overtake from here and there.

To the people in front of car, I readily give way. I value life and try to be gentle. I have seen that giving way hardly makes much difference in time.

On highways, I simply like to stick to my lane with proper speed, and then nothing much matters!!

Having extensively driven on highways over past 2 decades, I find that a stable mind is a great gift. There is no need to get intimidated.

Give way to others, not because you feel intimidated but out of inner stability. Your giving way shouldn't land you in a tough situation in fast moving traffic.

Just make decisions with a stable mind, because intimidated mind can land you in tough situations. The best part is you can work and make your mind stable through Meditation, Mindfulness, Yoga, Creativity etc.

Last edited by RDS : 25th June 2023 at 01:02.
RDS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 18:37   #99
BHPian

A very thought provoking and topical thread. Kudos to the initiator for flagging a very important issue and one that could help guide road users to avoid such dangerous situations on the road.

Now, to add my two pennies for whatever they worth! ��

First of all, thanks to years of training during my years in the Army, Defensive Driving has become almost second nature due to which one instinctively makes allowances for potential errors for all other users in the immediate visible vicinity.

Also as part of while on the highway I scruplously follow Road etiquettes and maintain more than safe distance/gap from all others. I use the right most lane ONLY when I need to overtake. Other than that I always use the centre lane or the speed & lane designated for Cars.

Now if any other road user irrespective of category of veh tries to Bully me or Tail gate me, I simply do NOT give in. In fact I make it a point to slow down further.

And further I have found that having stuck to following the rules of the road plus having a background of being a former member of the Armed Forces also comes in handy in getting moral ascendency, should the situation develops into the verbal spat on the road.
But here is a disclaimer, whenever one is getting embroiled in any kind of Face to Face situation (verbal or physical ), it is extremely important to remain calm and not lose one's temper. Lastly in order to retain the moral ascendency, it is important not to shout or resort to use abusive language. Moreso if the other party is doing so. Always keep a calm demeanour and speak in a level but firm voice.
theZULU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 21:22   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I generally do not give way to rowdy SUVs on the rightmost lane, no matter what car I am driving, if I am within the upper band of the speed limit.
I find this "fast lane hogging" approach very appaling. Especially on highways/expressways. Keep the fast lane empty and treat it as an overtaking lane. The type of car approaching should not matter- SUV or an Alto. I have seen this fast lane hogging especially in Maharashtra. Wide open lanes, but everyone has an affinity for the fast lane. Move over to the next lane please. If someone wishes to drive faster or overtake, they have to move over(potentially unsafely) into slower lane.

Btw, will you move over if it is an Alto approaching you in the fast lane rather than an SUV?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks