Add Raman to the list, the lad was so funny

EDIT ::: Another one, Cheeni Chachi
Oh yes, Raman!

Just found this interesting article on DNA

DNA: Mumbai: The revenge of the Indian comic book superheroes
Old 5th February 2009, 21:57   #32
Team-BHP Support

Diamond Comics website

It seems they have a trojan on their website.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:53   #33
BHPian

Until a few years back, I'd heard of a couple of shops of second hand books between Vile Parle (W) and Santa Cruz (W). These were bang opposite railway tracks (I used to see them from the train). They used to sell these comics (the oldies). One of my friend used to regularly buy it from them (but that was like 7-8 yrs back!).

Contact someone staying in Santa Cruz/Vile Parle (SRShrikant) and they may be able to help you out.

@Sam: If you guys can upload the soft copy of these comics somewhere it would be very much appreciated.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
It seems they have a trojan on their website.
Oops! Strange that my browser didn't stop me from visiting the site nor did my anti virus
Old 10th December 2009, 17:24   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i gave away all my old comics, Indrajal, Amar Chitra Katha, Disneyworld comics, Archie, Gold Key comics - Pink Panther, Sad Sack and a host of books that I had collected right from childhood to a library for children called Hippocampus in Bangalore. At least this way I hope that many more children can get to read and enjoy them.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:20   #36
BHPian

Commandos are available new -- I recently saw a lot of them at Landmark bookstore in Infinity Mall on Link Road in Andheri (W). As for Indrajal, I guess I just struck it lucky at my local raddiwalla a few years ago. He had a pile of about 30 of them, which I picked up for Rs 10 each. Not in the best of shape, but all pages were intact. I know it's exorbitant by raddiwalla standards, but this guy knew the comics were rare to come by. I would have paid more, if only for the nostalgia. Unfortunately, his supply of Indrajals dried up with that. They are all from the early 80s, and include Phantom, Mandrake, Flash Gordon, Bahadur (and also a few odd ones like Buz Sawyer, Kerry Drake, Rip Kirby, Garth etc). I don't mind lending them to you to read -- but I'm a little unsure of handing them to children.

On a related note, but at an unrelated raddiwalla at Prabhadevi, I bought some hardcover Enid Blytons from the late 1950s for a song (Rs 10 each)! They were in great shape, and would have cost no less than Rs 500 each on eBay. I didn't see any first editions among them though. From the inscription on the first page, they seem to have belonged to a Sadhana Rao, who was apparently a great reader and got books on every birthday from her family. Sadhana must be around 60 years old now... I wonder if there's way to trace her and tell her that her precious books are safe!

Edit: Just noticed this is a two-year-old thread. Normally_crazy, have you had any luck with your hunt in the intervening period?

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 11th December 2009 at 14:23.
Old 24th February 2019, 00:15   #37
BHPian

Re: Unusual need - Help finding old comics

Does anyone have any old commando, or Indrajal comics in good shape
Iam interested
Old 16th August 2021, 06:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
Iam interested
You can get Commando Comics online with a digital subscription these days - this gives you archives of the past few years as well (several hundred comics)

https://www.commandocomics.com

ps - I'm a new commando author and my first title will be published in early Feb 2022.

https://twitter.com/CommandoComic/st...625208838?s=20
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 14:43   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I'm a new commando author and my first title will be published in early Feb 2022.
That's crazy cool! How many of us can grow up and get the chance to contribute to a fond childhood memory! Any more information on how this came about would be great.

Haven't read too many Commando comics growing up, never really took to the genre, but remember seeing them around in the local libraries in Bangalore. Remember one story in particular though, was about a group of German veteran soldiers who suddenly show up in the middle of a battle to help a group of raw German recruits. And it turned out that the veteran group were actually a bunch of ghosts. Any ideas on what that title was called? I think the protagonist was "Sgt.Wolf".

All the second-hand bookstores in Bangalore have realized the value of these old comics (more like realized the price our generation is willing to shell out to recapture some of that nostalgia!) and they are pretty expensive now.

Last edited by am1m : 16th August 2021 at 14:46.
Old 16th August 2021, 15:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
Iam interested
They show up regularly in OLX. Priced at around 100/- per comic. I am talking those old western superhero comix like Mandrake, Phantom etc.

Thrill actually is in collecting the purely desi ones like Tinkle, Amar Chitra Katha, Indrajaal etc. Regional ones are pretty rare since they were largely printed in beat quality paper and very few of them survived in good condition.
Old 16th August 2021, 15:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

I stumbled on a facebook group with a number of Commando current and former artists, authors and staff, https://www.facebook.com/groups/982864591884241

And then late last year, I literally had a dream about a commando story after reading too many commandos that I'd picked up at a second hand bookshop (Best Book Centre in Lakdi Ka Pul, Hyderabad).

I told a few people on that group about the dream and one of them - a decades long fan named Colin Noble (now sadly dead of cancer) - encouraged me to send it in to Commando as a plotline / "pitch" for a new story.

Out of pure luck, a few edits later, the pitch was accepted and I was given a contract to write a new story. The story will then take several months for an interior artist to draw the panels, and a cover artist to draw the cover, and then for it to undergo final editing, type setting and printing + preparation of a digital version. Then it gets slotted into the publication rotation along with multiple other stories .. mine therefore comes out in early February 2022.

The story you're talking about is on the tip of my tongue but I clean forgot which one. I'll ask around.

As for Bangalore, the Church Street places have it grossly overpriced, Hyderabad is a little cheaper and there's more stock there in Best Books ++ in rather worse condition, in the Abids sunday market (an entire street turned into a series of pavement second hand bookstores, every sunday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That's crazy cool! How many of us can grow up and get the chance to contribute to a fond childhood memory! Any more information on how this came about would be great.

Haven't read too many Commando comics growing up, never really took to the genre, but remember seeing them around in the local libraries in Bangalore. Remember one story in particular though, was about a group of German veteran soldiers who suddenly show up in the middle of a battle to help a group of raw German recruits. And it turned out that the veteran group were actually a bunch of ghosts. Any ideas on what that title was called? I think the protagonist was "Sgt.Wolf".

All the second-hand bookstores in Bangalore have realized the value of these old comics (more like realized the price our generation is willing to shell out to recapture some of that nostalgia!) and they are pretty expensive now.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, past the time limit when I could edit my earlier post.

Back From Beyond, Commando 2109

Story - Alan Hebden
Cover - Jordi Longaron
Art - Denis McLoughlin

https://commandocomics.fandom.com/wiki/Back_From_Beyond
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 23:44   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Let me search around for my old comics. My mom will be thrilled to give them off... I'll PM you if i find them.

Other option is to go to fountain (fort) area and browse through the footpath stalls. You will definitely get many there. There are such stalls at King Circle (matunga - near mysore cafe) as well.

Another option: Shemaroo book library at kemps corner. But they will only let you borrow them.
I was mad when my mom threw away or donated the Asterix / Tin tin collection I had.

Especially without asking me. Now, I try to get it all on PDFs/ CBX on my iPad. Easier to have access and carry wherever.

But I have my heart set on a Calvin Hobbes hard cover Complete Set.
Old 17th August 2021, 10:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in View Post
I was mad when my mom threw away or donated the Asterix / Tin tin collection I had.

Especially without asking me. Now, I try to get it all on PDFs/ CBX on my iPad. Easier to have access and carry wherever.

But I have my heart set on a Calvin Hobbes hard cover Complete Set.
Ouch that's sad. Asterix and Tin Tin's are ageless and a treasure to have See if you can rebuild your collection.

As for the C&H Hardcover collection, while it looks good in my bookshelf and is definitely one to own, it does not make for easy reading considering the sheer size of each volumes. So you might want to consider that.

My old Tinkles, Indrajals of Phantom, Flash, Mandrake, Bahadur etc etc (1980s) are all bound and preserved thanks to my parents
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:44   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Ouch that's sad. Asterix and Tin Tin's are ageless and a treasure to have
====
My old Tinkles, Indrajals of Phantom, Flash, Mandrake, Bahadur etc etc (1980s) are all bound and preserved thanks to my parents
You definitely have a co operative set of parents with Foresight; these can always come in handy for any of the next gen - in the family.

I guess my C&H hard bound is then one of those ASPIRATION thingies, that may be impractical and my iPad will be the Go To.

Yeah.. everything's just digital for convenience.. and so will Astertix & Tintin have to be.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2021 at 11:49. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
crashnburn_in is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed