Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2007, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Unusual need - Help finding old comics

Guys,

I need your help. Me and my batchmates from school are planning to give all our kids (those who are married and have kids) comics from our era. The comics included - Phantom, Mandrake, Bahadur, Flash Gordon et all. Where can I find these comics now ? I asked the local raddi waala and my friends have checked out CST and Churchgate pavements - no luck.

Anyone has any idea ?
Old 30th July 2007, 14:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

have you tried the wheelie(??) on the platforms of the railway stations? i am sure they do have these comic books. i am sure that the local Libraries do have these comic books. all the best. chacha chowdhury is another comic book worth reading.

OT:
in kolkata one can find these books near Golpark. there are a whole lot of 2nd hand books stores in College Street area (near C.U.) - i think they also have these books.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:44   #3
BHPian

Try ebay.in

Some comics are available in CDs.

eBay India - english comic books, hindi comics, amar chitra katha, panchtantra india items at low prices
Old 30th July 2007, 16:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Guys,

I need your help. Me and my batchmates from school are planning to give all our kids (those who are married and have kids) comics from our era. The comics included - Phantom, Mandrake, Bahadur, Flash Gordon et all. Where can I find these comics now ? I asked the local raddi waala and my friends have checked out CST and Churchgate pavements - no luck.

Anyone has any idea ?
no Asterix and Tintin???

Oh.. I miss good ole Obelix, Vitalstatix, Getafix, Cacofonix, Dogmatix and Captain Haddock, Professor Calculus, Snowy et al

In Delhi, there is a weekly market in Dariyaganj on Sundays where you can get all these comics.

Infact I went there yesterday and picked up many books for myself and couple of Asterix for my daughter (read myself) ;-)

Cheers

Nitin
Old 30th July 2007, 16:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

@planet, that would be Wheeler.

The Starmark (erstwhile Landmark) stores stock quite a lot of comics, here in Kolkata. Not sure if they have stores in Mumbai.

Have you tried the Crossword outlets ?
Old 30th July 2007, 17:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. I know Amar Chitra Katha is still available brand new (you have to order it though), but Indrajal Comics (Phantom, Bahadur, Flash Gordon, Mandrake, etc) are not. I tried getting them for my son.

What IS available however is the FULL set of Asterix and Tintin comics in hardbound, paperback and digest versions! So I bought em all.

However, does anyone know where to get hold of COMMANDO comics? No chance with those - they were Black&White but very very entertaining.
Old 30th July 2007, 18:00   #7
BHPian

Diamond comics have acquired the rights for Phantom. I havent seen the others - Mandrake/Bahadur ()/Flash Gordon, but yes - Phantom you can definitely get.

Superavi
Old 30th July 2007, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

You don't get Mandrake, Bahadur, Flash new anymore. Phantom is being published, buts its a glossy print and doesn't do any justice to the old Indrajal comic.

Bangalore has a couple of old book shops, were these used to be available. Each book was Rs.10/- !!!! Originally sold for Rs. 1, 1.50, 2 and then 3 ! I mopped up a lot of the Phantom/Mandrake ones and one of my friends the Bahadur/Flash Gordon ones. You still get some of these at Blossoms on Church Street in Bangalore. I keep visiting him often but he says they don't come in anymore and even if they do it sells out within a day.

He sources it from chennai and other small towns. Nowadays old Phantoms/mandrake in regional languages are available.

Planning to get a scanner and scan these as some of them are in a really bad state. However you do get Asterix, tintin, Calvin, dilbert free online. (pirated obviously). Just need to know where to look !!
Old 30th July 2007, 23:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Does anybody remember Nagraj and Super commando Dhruv
Old 30th July 2007, 23:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Does anybody remember Nagraj and Super commando Dhruv
tsk you left the whole diamond comics era in between! I saw scans of phantom and mandrake somewhere on the internet so if you are enterprising enough, make your own comics by printing and binding these (I know its not the same thing). Amar Chitra Katha is available off the shelf at Landmark (the one at Forum Mall in Bangalore had lots).

OK not feeling lazy today so here you go

The Comic Project

These have some Hindi versions and other comics too

Comic World

Online Indian Comics

Anupam Agrawal

Mandrake The Magician

Indrajal Comics Club

Welcome to the golden era of comics!

Last edited by mohit : 31st July 2007 at 00:13.
Old 31st July 2007, 01:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
no Asterix and Tintin???
Asterix & tintin are very much available in all stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

However, does anyone know where to get hold of COMMANDO comics? No chance with those - they were Black&White but very very entertaining.
You just cannot get indrajal comics anymore not even for a fortune as most copies have just disintegrated. Yes, commando are available in bangalore. i have picked up many from the old lending libraries there & a lot more new ones from the pavements in mount road, chennai.
Old 31st July 2007, 01:19   #12
BHPian

if you want i can get hold of a dealer here who sells all these books and paico here has all the tintin series i mite courier you these books if i get the money 1st
Old 31st July 2007, 01:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post
if you want i can get hold of a dealer here who sells all these books and paico here has all the tintin series i mite courier you these books if i get the money 1st
sorry xinome, tintin is as much available as harry potter. can you get phantom or mandrake or flash gordon ?
Old 31st July 2007, 01:30   #14
BHPian

i think mandrake is a high possibility and so is phantom let me have a look tom at the stores and will get back to you guys with images and price tags
Old 31st July 2007, 01:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I know Amar Chitra Katha is still available brand new (you have to order it though)...
You get Amar Chitra Katha brand new at Landmark, at the Forum, here in BLR.

Commando, next time you're in COK, ask Eloor Library if they have any old copies they're selling. They used to have a big stock here in BLR, but I think they're all gone now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks