Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you let others drive your car ?
No way. Only over my dead body. 34 21.94%
Oh yes. What's the big deal ? It's just a machine. 6 3.87%
Depends on who asks for the keys 115 74.19%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 14:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread SB.

I have never let any valet person drive my car.

Till date its been driven only by my dad (very rarely though) and my mechanic apart from myself. However stumpy did drive my car from the pitlane to the paddocks during the first trackday. He is the only exception here.

I also insist to stand next to my car and supervise the activities that are undertaken during servicing my ride (much to the frustration of the M.A.S.S. guys but they are used to it now and are very understanding).
Old 9th August 2007, 14:41   #62
BHPian

yes they always on insist on valet parking - but if u look at their conditions, it is clearly mentioned that the valet driver's will park but at the owner's risk!!

Even in bangalore central i park myself

Unfortunately i rarely get a chance to stand and get the servicing done, and till date I have never left my car overnight with A.S.S. I tell them to do the work in parts and take the car home and get it back to them the next morning.
But i am not sure if all servicing stations will allow you to stand over their head while they work on your car - thats why they have those waiting areas with the viewing pane overlooking the service area
Old 9th August 2007, 14:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Apart from my dad nobody touches the wheel. Not even my sis.
Old 9th August 2007, 14:49   #64
BHPian

I am very possessive of my belongings be it entities or my loved ones.

I pamper my cars a lot in whatever way possible but it depends on the person asking for car keys.

Yes i never give my car to parking / vallet guys.
Old 9th August 2007, 15:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But I usually won't ask anyone to let me drive their car because I would then be obliged to let them have a spin in mine some day.

exactly! thats why i dont usually drive other people's cars - because later on that person may ask me to hand over the key to my car for a spin
Old 9th August 2007, 15:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

I go with option 3 . Depends on who asks for the . Sort of agree on the obliging part thingy mentioned by planet and supreme but with a small change. I only drive only those friend's cars whom i would not mind giving my car to drive. I never ask for those people's cars who I would not give my car to. I like it that way.

I tried to avoid giving to valets but sometimes gave in due to family hurry. But now I park myself. The last time I gave my car to the valet was at a friends wedding party. I gave the car and was walking into the party aread when I heard a loud revv. I turned around, it was my car. I ran back and asked whim what he was doing. "Sir hes not familiar with AT". I threw the guy out of the car went far off parked it and came back walking

Apart from myself its my brother and who drive my car. Dad has his own car so he really doesnt use mine at all.
Old 9th August 2007, 15:59   #67
BHPian

What's the insurance implication of driving someone else's car?

I think it doesn't matter in India but in Europe/America, where insurance depends on driver rather than car, the cost of driving someone else's car is quite high. That prevents many from "borrowing" friend's car

Last edited by sbasak : 9th August 2007 at 16:00.
Old 9th August 2007, 16:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

I don't enjoy giving it to others, but i have given my car to some friends who are just like me & whose cars i have also driven. So it is a lot of give & take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I had to put up with a cold war from both my own brother as well as wifey as i refused to hand over the car keys to them.

My best buddy was asked to take over by my wife, who thought i was driving too slow and rather TOO carefully, and possibly tired too. After driving like a madman for some time my buddy finally handed the keys back to me, as he couldnt bear to see me sulking.
Denying your wife ? & then sulking ? You little child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
depends on who asks for keys too.. say i dont mind giving keys to supremebaleno since i know hes a careful driver :P
SB, now you can TD a palio 1.6 & justify your vote in the FTD thread.
Old 9th August 2007, 16:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
depends on who asks for keys too.. say i dont mind giving keys to supremebaleno since i know hes a careful driver :P
Beware bottle! SB has a dislike for Fiat cars!

Last edited by finneyp : 9th August 2007 at 16:11.
Old 9th August 2007, 16:09   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Really? Adi, I can't recollect the instance at all. Bad memory I have. Also did you forget that Keshav drove your car too. In such a way that you had tears coming out of your eyes?
Old 9th August 2007, 16:18   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Nice thread SB.

I have never let any valet person drive my car.

Till date its been driven only by my dad (very rarely though) and my mechanic apart from myself. However stumpy did drive my car from the pitlane to the paddocks during the first trackday. He is the only exception here.

I also insist to stand next to my car and supervise the activities that are undertaken during servicing my ride (much to the frustration of the M.A.S.S. guys but they are used to it now and are very understanding).
I also have never allowed valet parking and the people give me a confused look. About MASS, I have a point here. I have always taken my car to a particular MASS and they have come to know and respect my feelings, but last Sunday had to go to another MASS and ran into trouble with the person who manages the washing and cleaning part. He drove my car so badly that I went to the works manager and complained to him about this guy and the manager had told me that he will ensure that this guy never touches my car again. And I was there all the time to see that the manager kept his word
Old 9th August 2007, 16:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Also did you forget that Keshav drove your car too. In such a way that you had tears coming out of your eyes?
How can i forget that? Well like i said earlier my tuner has some limited access to drive the car. Testing and demo was part of the free-flow experience although the demo was scary. and i was absolutely frozen to shed any tears...

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th August 2007 at 16:38.
Old 9th August 2007, 16:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Denying your wife ?
I would not mind letting my wife drive my car when I am also in the car. But she knows me too well to fall for that - she would rather not drive than hear the constant bickering from me about each and everything which I feel she is doing wrongly during driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
SB, now you can TD a palio 1.6 & justify your vote in the FTD thread.
Yeah, but I would love to TD the Palio1.6 properly, which would involve a little rough driving. Would not want to do that to a friend's car. Would rather use the TD car. Another one added to the must-TD-list of mine which already has NHC, Swift-D and SX4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Beware bottle! SB has a dislike for Fiat cars!
Finney, I don't hate any car - I love driving and it doesn't matter which car it is. Its just that I wont buy a Fiat. And that does not mean I think Fiat cars are no good. Its just that my car needs are covered by Suzuki pretty well, so no need to look elsewhere.

If you still believe I hate Fiat cars, gift me a Palio1.6 and I can bet that I would become the most fanatic Fiat fan ever. I would even ignore the A.S.S. issues, wont mind waiting for months for a spare and wont mind the low FE. You game ?
Old 9th August 2007, 17:07   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Denying your wife ? & then sulking ? You little child.
She has a 4 wheeler licence which she procured the legal way, passing the driving test. Not having driven any car in the long years between, she seems to have lost touch. She did try when the car was brand new, and my efforts to teach her proved i wasnt as soft spoken as i usually am. I ended up shouting and screaming for every mistake (Ofcourse, these werent undertaken on public roads, rather on an unused plot).

She had enough of the bickering and vowed never to drive THIS car again.

Later, after she cooled down and when i tried to teach her again, she said she's scared of the mad traffic in Bangalore, and so shall put those plans on hold for the time being.
Old 9th August 2007, 17:57   #75
BHPian

I am very particular about my car, so much so that I get upset if I find fingerprints on the glass surface (yea... I know what you are thinking... but it runs in the family). Naturally, I only let a select few to drive my car. Out here in T-BHP there is one person that I would trust with my eyes closed... SpeedZak. No one has ever given me the same kind of confidence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks