Team-BHP - Gun Ownership
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Gun Ownership (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/27343-gun-ownership-14.html)

A member of the family has a semi automatic .22 Beretta rifle.
Which he is planning to transfer to me.

Anyone know the best way to go about it and my chances of finally getting it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatari (Post 2217123)

Very tough in Kerala now :(

It all depends on location and the officer handling it I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatari (Post 2217123)

Semi Auto rifles are restricted in India , It will have to be converted to a single shot , like the many M1 Garands , Unless you can manage to get a PB license, which is very tough since it's reviewed by the MHA:Frustrati

Go through this you will find your answer on how to go about it.

Best of luck though!
Cheers

Is it possible to start a private shooting range (similar to the ones in the US for example) ? stupid:

I got a chance to visit and use a closed range here yesterday.
It was so simple.
1) Walk in.
2) Show ID.
3) Ask for the gun you want.
4) Rent it.
5) Buy shells/bullets.
6) Take the eye and ear protection.

Since it was my first time I was showed how to load the magazine and
pull the slider etc etc. I used a 22 Calibre handgun for starters. I was more or less like an air gun with no or little recoil. The sounds from some guns the others were using was quite deafening.
Total cost of 1 hour of fun = 20$

The coin you see in the picture is a sovenier and it has the 2nd amendment of the US constitution which says to the effect that 'Right to Keep and Bear Arms" (for self protection I suppose). I was quite suprised and taken aback.

Thats my friend Pavan in the picture. He was pretty good actually. I sucked big time. Pictures were allowed to be taken.

Some more pictures from the range. Someone wanting to start a range like this should take cues from here :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 2235539)
Some more pictures from the range. Someone wanting to start a range like this should take cues from here :)

Loved the pictures, thank god its not the same back home otherwise there would be bloodbath every day. But in certain areas we definately would feel a lot more safer with a personal firearm along.

Having access to a firing range would be so much fun. A friend of mine in Ahmedabad is actually exploring that idea. Hope it fructifies! What rifles were available? Can you give some more info?

Also, Ran into a friend who's interested in selling some really good air guns (A full mod IHP .22), a couple of IHP Hammerlis .177 and a Walther CP88 air pistol. Not sure if I should be posting it here but thought I'll do it for the benefit of anyone who would be interested.

I have an IHP .22 air rifle myself and have had the chance to visit the factory. Its quite fascinating to see how they are manufactured and zeroed!

Nice pics there. As far as I know(please correct me if I'm wrong), during the police training in the US, the dummy targets always have the shooting area only on the body and there is a clear notice not to shoot the head. This is to ensure that the police can defend with their guns when needed and not end up killing someone.

This range seems to be quite different where you have posters having targets even for the head!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 2235534)
The coin you see in the picture is a sovenier and it has the 2nd amendment of the US constitution which says to the effect that 'Right to Keep and Bear Arms" (for self protection I suppose). I was quite suprised and taken aback.

Self protection is one reason for the 2nd amendment. The other reason is to form a militia

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVR (Post 2235633)
Having access to a firing range would be so much fun. A friend of mine in Ahmedabad is actually exploring that idea. Hope it fructifies! What rifles were available? Can you give some more info?

Also, Ran into a friend who's interested in selling some really good air guns (A full mod IHP .22), a couple of IHP Hammerlis .177 and a Walther CP88 air pistol. Not sure if I should be posting it here but thought I'll do it for the benefit of anyone who would be interested.

I have an IHP .22 air rifle myself and have had the chance to visit the factory. Its quite fascinating to see how they are manufactured and zeroed!

AVR I am very much interested in the air pistol CP88.Any idea whether your friend is ready to ship it to Bangalore?Please PM me the asking price and whether he is ready to ship.I am ready to take care of the shipping charges too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Phrangmung (Post 2235546)
Loved the pictures, thank god its not the same back home otherwise there would be bloodbath every day. But in certain areas we definately would feel a lot more safer with a personal firearm along.

Thank you. One thing I felt is that it is not easy to fire a gun and that too on target. We have been mislead enough to believe any Tom Dick Harry can pick up a tommy and go rat-a-tat-a-tat.
You can see how I faired, I always pointed on the red and clearly missed the target, shooting above it. It requires practice and precision and knowing your arm, line of sight etc etc. Not that I am practicing :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdna (Post 2236598)
Nice pics there. As far as I know(please correct me if I'm wrong), during the police training in the US, the dummy targets always have the shooting area only on the body and there is a clear notice not to shoot the head. This is to ensure that the police can defend with their guns when needed and not end up killing someone.

This range seems to be quite different where you have posters having targets even for the head!

I don't exactly know what happens in Police camps, but one reason I can think of is they might be taught to only disable a threat not to take a life. But for civillians I am sure that is not a constraint. It would depend on the situation. After all it is my life under threat and at that time I know what best could save it. An experienced guy/ex-serviceman can use restraint and know how to fire and where to fire but same cannot be expected from a civillian. As shown in the movies the threat is immediately neutralisd upon targetting the head area. Many would use that data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2236624)
Self protection is one reason for the 2nd amendment. The other reason is to form a militia

Thats fine but I was suprised to know that it was bang 'the second' amendment. I would have expected it to be in the 910 or 10001 (arbitrary) amendment, but not the 2nd :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Phrangmung (Post 2235546)

I may sound like a pro IRA but if one is inclined to a bloodbath, he will find his choice of weapon, control laws or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 2239083)
Thank you. One thing I felt is that it is not easy to fire a gun and that too on target. We have been mislead enough to believe any Tom Dick Harry can pick up a tommy and go rat-a-tat-a-tat.
You can see how I faired, I always pointed on the red and clearly missed the target, shooting above it. It requires practice and precision and knowing your arm, line of sight etc etc. Not that I am practicing :D

It will help if you took one of their safety courses, which includes gun safety as well as aiming and other strategies. One of the worst habits i had to rid of was not putting my finger on the trigger all the time, but only when ready to shoot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 2239124)

It will help if you took one of their safety courses, which includes gun safety as well as aiming and other strategies.

Cool I'll ask for that course. Thanks for the tip though.

Very nice pics of the range and a good range of hand guns and rifles to choose from!! :) Thanks for the pics.

What you say about getting the shot right on target is very difficult without constant practice is correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 2239083)
As shown in the movies the threat is immediately neutralisd upon targetting the head area. Many would use that data.

As stated above, if an amateur wants to neutralize a threat, it's best to aim for the center mass, as in the area below the neck till the waist. This gives wider area to fire on and chances of missing are less. Aiming for the head is a hit-miss chance and does not work as shown in the movies always :D