Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2024, 19:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without

I used to be the guy who had an app for everything on my phone. I had a bunch of games, an e-book reader, 3 media players, and countless apps that I never used. The switch to an iPhone was what made me picky about what I have on my phone. I was using a third of the apps that I had on my Android, and it was just fine. Even now, after switching back to an Android phone where the apps are countless, I still keep the necessary ones only. I make sure that I delete the apps that I am not using regularly.

Some of the must-have apps on my phone include Uber, Ola, Zomato, Swiggy, Zepto, Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, Digilocker, Spotify, and F1 TV. For financial transactions, there are the banking apps and Google Pay. Also, I use Samsung Wallet as it allows Credit Card NFC payment and UPI payments as well. It also connects with Digilocker and allows easy access to all the documents.

Other apps are very much on an as-needed basis. Usually, I keep two of each kind. So if at all one doesn't work, there's a backup.

Special mention about the Digi Yatra app. I didn't think it was much of a big deal, but it's definitely a must-have if you're a frequent traveller. It works amazingly well and saves you a lot of time. Thankfully, the facial recognition technology on the app is flawless and you get to skip long queues like a celebrity!

Here are some of the apps on my phone:

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-whatsapp-image-20240322-5.01.46-pm.jpeg

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-whatsapp-image-20240322-5.01.47-pm-1.jpeg

Note that I haven't mentioned social media apps and default apps like Gmail and Google Maps. Do share your list of 'Must-Have Apps on your smartphone'.

Last edited by Omkar : 26th March 2024 at 13:33.
Omkar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 19:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 20:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

For travel related, suggest that you can use (1) Where is my train or (2)Tripozo (formerly etrain info) + (3) IRCTC.

Instead of playing repetitive games, I have CROSSWORDS and WORDLY, which helps me to hone my English skills!
vrprabhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 20:13   #4
BHPian

• Finance - Kite, Bhim, SplitWise (one of the best for group expenses)
  • Launcher - Niagara launcher
  • Messages app - Microsoft SMS Organizer
  • Social - WhatsApp, X, Telegram
bhppower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 21:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The Apps on my phone #1

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240323_210739_one-ui-home.jpg

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240323_210746_one-ui-home.jpg

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240323_210803_one-ui-home.jpg

The Apps on my phone #2

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-img20240323wa0010.jpg

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-img20240323wa0011.jpg

The Apps are for entertainment/ news/ money/ mutual fund/share transaction/ information highway and other miscellaneous Apps.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 21:44   #6

Google keep
It’s a brilliant app and the only one that is kind of a replacement to the reminders app on iphone. For some reason, an app that has both reminders and note taking are rare. The advantage it has over iPhone’s reminders is that it is cross platform, just need a web browser.
Pythonic is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 08:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

For all one-off purposes, I prefer (a) doing it from PC (food ordering, e-commerce, netbanking); or (b) if the mobile web app is functional then doing it from there (Amazon); or (c) if an app is required I can manage with installing it for the one-off instance and uninstalling it immediately afterwards (Meru/Uber). I keep apps only for things that need to be done frequently / can't wait till I get in front of my laptop or for whatever reason can be done only with app. So the number of apps I have are somewhat limited too. Those are:

1. Two browsers - Firefox & Firefox Focus
2. BHIM UPI
3. Chat/IM - WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram. Also Microsoft SMS Organiser.
4. Email - Outlook
5. Driving/Travel - Google Maps, Waze, Ulysse Speedometer
6. Productivity/self-improvement apps - OneNote, an app called Tasks & Notes, another called Way of Life
7. Utilities - RealCalc (calculator), Time Buddy (time converter), Smart Recorder (voice recorder), Character Pad (full Unicode character picker)
8. Kindle app, ReadEra (epub reader)
9. DigiLocker & mParivahan
10. Two games - Slitherlink & Sokoban
11. Some device/hardware utilities - Sound+ app for my headphones, Network Cell Info, PingTools
12. OpenVPN, JuiceSSH, Authenticator (for TOTP; a less known one not from the biggies). Also a self-made app for managing numeric PINs (DC/CC etc.).
13. Microsoft 365 and an app called Simple Text Editor
14. Last but not the least - Solid Explorer. A brilliant file explorer with native support for Dropbox, OneDrive & Google Drive.

Almost all of the above are paid (pro) versions that are ad-free or open source.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 09:01   #8
BHPian

Brave browser for ad free surfing, MS teams for office calls, WhatsApp for IM are my must have apps. Rest I try to use web browser and avoid apps as much as possible.
Maverick Avi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 09:04   #9

1) Amazon - shopping, bills, recharges, travel booking
2) Cred - credit card bill payment, small upi transactions
3) Youtube & youtube music
4) Amazon prime, hotstar, instagram
5) Google pay, paytm, airtel thanks, icici direct
6) ola, swiggy
7) ddpai, ms teams, anacity apartment app
8) undeletable google suit
rendezvous3850 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 09:13   #10
BHPian

This is what I have in my phone (S23, so it can handle them all with ease).
  • Mutual Funds folder: MF Central, NPS, UTI, ICICI Pru, Navi, Nippon
  • Banking folder: YONO SBI, iMobile Pay, Axis Mobile, GPay, BHIM, PhonePe
  • Entertainment folder: Prime, Netflix, Rakuten Viki, YouTube, Musicolet, VLC
  • Car folder: Fuelio, Park+, Suzuki Connect, Ola, Uber
  • Health folder: Google Fit, Fastic, Water Tracker
  • Food & Delivery folder: Amazon, Swiggy, Blinkit, Bigbasket, Zomato
  • Google folder: A bunch of Google apps to replace the default Samsung ones
  • Samsung folder: A bunch of the apps that I was unable to uninstall, mostly disabled and permissions blocked
  • Phone Stuff folder: Most other apps like Airtel, Wynk Music, AccuBattery, Tether, Norton360
  • Slack
  • Firefox (the only browser I truly believe in)
  • WhatsApp

And then a dozen or more Company apps, which are enabled only when I switch on Work Profile.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 10:20   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am the sort of guy who is very, very selective about installing apps on my phones, or programs on my laptops. Only the essential ones.

Here is my list:

- Heavy user of Google Calendar for tasks & scheduling

- Daily user of Calm, a meditation app, for 20 minutes

- TrueCaller helps me avoid 5 spam calls everyday, and identify 5 unknown business callers everyday

- Transport: Uber, Ola & DriveU

- File Sync: Heavy Dropbox User (accurate syncing across 4 devices). Hate the buggy Google Drive

- Food: Zomato & Swiggy

- Social Media: Just Instagram (love the brand stories, and automotive & funny reels)

- Finance: Google Pay, PayTM, HDFC Bank

- Official Documents & Cars: Digilocker, DigiYatra, MParivahan

- Keyboard: GBoard

- Entertainment: JustWatch to know what is where on all the streaming providers, and what is new / popular

- Music: PowerAmp (I have a 4000-song local collection), Youtube Music, Spotify & Shazam

- Misc: TinyScanner, Urban Company, Waze
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 11:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

Microsoft OneDrive: File sharing & synching. Allows you to work on any computer/laptop at home. Photos or screenshot taken on any smartphone shows up immediately on any desktop/laptop at home. Aslo photos are stored in jpeg format (unlike Google photos) - so this makes taking backup on external HDD simpler.

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_104956_onedrive.jpg

Full review:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ollection.html (How do you Organize/Transfer/Backup your digital photo collection?)

iMobile Pay: Manage your ICICI Bank savings & credit card account, but also use it to make UPI payments (just in case Google Pay trips up). Bonus: You can not only recharge your Fastag account, but also enable 'auto-recharge'. When fastag balance falls below Rs. ____, transfer Rs. ____.

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_105502_imobile-pay.jpg

This is so convenient that you forget that there is Fastag. You don't have to check how much balance is there everytime you travel within city (access controlled bridge or ring road) or on highways.

AccuBattery Pro:Find out how much battery health is available on your Android device (just like on an iphone):

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_110141_accubattery.jpg

The app also gives you lots of battery usage related data. For full review, check: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5726614 (Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods)

Investing.com: Suitable for somebody who wants to track global markets. Download app and go to 'Index Futures'. Even if a particular country's stock market is closed because of timings, the futures will still be updating.

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_110613.jpg

Google Files: For cleaning up junk files, whatsapp files, deleting photos/videos on smartphone after backing up and for identifying unwanted apps:

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_110926_files-google.jpg

Google Tasks: Chore/Task manager ideal for chronic procrastinators:. Note down all chores to be done at home in Google Tasks & make it a habit to open the app everyday:

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_111632_tasks.jpg

Adobe Scan: Best document scanner there is. Scan & convert to jpeg or pdf format. If a particular document has 10 pages, you can put all the 10 pages in a single PDF file.

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_112018_adobe-scan.jpg

Hungry Dragon & Hungry Shark: My favorite timepass games, made by Ubisoft. Both have in-app purchases but you can make progress without paying:

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_112410_hungry-dragon.jpg

Google Wallpapers: Has 'unlimited' wallpapers. When you select 'daily wallpaper, tap to turn on', the wallpaper will change daily:

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-screenshot_20240324_112853_styles-wallpapers.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th March 2024 at 11:35.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 11:34   #13
BHPian

Definitely a must-have along with Waze.

Must-Have Apps on your smartphone | Apps that you cannot do without-img_1712.png
revsperminute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 11:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am the sort of guy who is very, very selective about installing apps on my phones, or programs on my laptops. Only the essential ones.

Here is my list:

-
- Social Media: Just Instagram (love the brand stories, and automotive & funny reels)

- Misc: TinyScanner, Urban Company, Waze
Lovely! I use very few apps myself, and am finicky about app permissions. I've degoogled my life to the extent possible. So email app is Proton; browser is Brave. Don't have Youtube, and don't have either of Paytm, Phonepe or Google Pay. All UPI transactions are through the official bank app itself which is DBS. My primary banking app is another one which isn't UPI linked.

Other essential apps I use are Air Visual - for measuring AQI. Quite useful for me since I live in Delhi.

Also. for maps - more than Google Maps, I use Mapmy India app - the traffic projections I found were a bit more accurate. It gets my job done!
landmaster18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 11:52   #15
BHPian

Moved away from F1 TV - monopolistic, laggy with a slow interface; to Fancode now. F1 only cost is almost a quarter & slightly better interface. Though still have to figure if pause & rewind of live event is possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks