Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:04   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@Vamsi. Yes music is beyond language barriers. But if one takes a bit of pain in trying to understand the lyrics, the experience of appreciating the whole song is elevated. It truely touches the soul. The Bhava of the song gets across to the listener! That was the primary reason for me learning many languages.
Absolutely true. And that is what pains me most when budding singers and even legendary singers (I don't want to take any names)don't take the time to understand the bhava or the innate meaning of the krithi or rather ignore it for swara kalpana's and other musical nuances. Thyagaraja swamy himself said in a krithi "Sangeetha gnanamu bhakti vina" and in another one "Sogasuga mRidanga talamu" that the bhava shouldn't be sacrificed for music but rather music should complement and elevate it making listeners who even don't understand the language feel the emotion.

I feel deeply sad when a singer sings "Nagumomu" krithi by Thyagaraja swamy and literally kills the bhava at "jagamElE paramAtma" line by trying to show his musical prowess. Once they know the deep pain that Thyagaraja Swamy is feeling for not being able to see the smiling face of his lord, then the real song will flow from their hearts.

I am not a trained classical musician, but I believe one doesn't need to be a great cook to relish a delicacy. If they know then the joy only multiplies.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 22nd October 2010 at 22:07.
Old 9th November 2010, 03:51   #137
Senior - BHPian

Please listen to Tupac Shakur's 'Dear Mama' with lyrics in front of you. Bound to make you cry. I did. I guess this song is included in the top 25 of all time hip hop hits.
Old 9th November 2010, 06:59   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Please listen to Tupac Shakur's 'Dear Mama' with lyrics in front of you. Bound to make you cry. I did. I guess this song is included in the top 25 of all time hip hop hits.
Definitely one of the best songs of all time! R.I.P Tupac Shakur.
Old 12th November 2010, 00:52   #139
BHPian

PINK FLOYD - US & THEM

Us, and them
And after all were only ordinary men.
Me, and you.
God only knows it's noz what we would choose to do.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died.
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.
Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who.
Up and down.
But in the end it's only round and round.
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give em a quick short,
Sharp, shock, they wont do it again. dig it? I mean he get off
Lightly, cos I wouldve given him a thrashing - I only hit him once!
It was only a difference of opinion, but really...i mean good manners
Don't cost nothing do they, eh?

Down and out
It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.
With, without.
And wholl deny it's what the fightings all about?
Out of the way, it's a busy day
Ive got things on my mind.
For the want of the price of tea and a slice
The old man died.
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:11   #140
BHPian

People who say rappers dont have talent please listen to this.It is just today's rappers that have crap lyrics.

Old 23rd November 2010, 19:29   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Definitely one of the best songs of all time! R.I.P Tupac Shakur.
Yeah man! Simple and sweet songs. First timers should listen to the DJ Ghetto version available on beemp3dotcom.

Quote:
When I was young me and my mama had beef
Seventeen years old kicked out on the streets
Though back at the time, I never thought I'd see her face
Ain't a woman alive that could take my mama's place
Suspended from school; and scared to go home, I was a fool
with the big boys, breakin all the rules
I shed tears with my baby sister
Over the years we was poorer than the other little kids
And even though we had different daddy's, the same drama
When things went wrong we'd blame mama
I reminice on the stress I caused, it was hell
Huggin on my mama from a jail cell
And who'd think in elementary?
Heeey! I see the penitentiary, one day
And runnin from the police, that's right
Mama catch me, put a whoopin to my backside
And even as a crack fiend, mama
You always was a black queen, mama
I finally understand
for a woman it ain't easy tryin to raise a man
You always was committed
A poor single mother on welfare, tell me how ya did it
There's no way I can pay you back
But the plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated
Now ain't nobody tell us it was fair
No love from my daddy cause the coward wasn't there
He passed away and I didn't cry, cause my anger
wouldn't let me feel for a stranger
They say I'm wrong and I'm heartless, but all along
I was lookin for a father he was gone
I hung around with the Thugs, and even though they sold drugs
They showed a young brother love
I moved out and started really hangin
I needed money of my own so I started slangin
I ain't guilty cause, even though I sell rocks
It feels good puttin money in your mailbox
I love payin rent when the rent's due
I hope ya got the diamond necklace that I sent to you
Cause when I was low you was there for me
And never left me alone because you cared for me
And I could see you comin home after work late
You're in the kitchen tryin to fix us a hot plate
Ya just workin with the scraps you was given
And mama made miracles every Thanksgivin
But now the road got rough, you're alone
You're tryin to raise two bad kids on your own
And there's no way I can pay you back
But my plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated
Pour out some liquor and I reminsce, cause through the drama
I can always depend on my mama
And when it seems that I'm hopeless
You say the words that can get me back in focus
When I was sick as a little kid
To keep me happy there's no limit to the things you did
And all my childhood memories
Are full of all the sweet things you did for me
And even though I act craaazy
I gotta thank the Lord that you made me
There are no words that can express how I feel
You never kept a secret, always stayed real
And I appreciate, how you raised me
And all the extra love that you gave me
I wish I could take the pain away
If you can make it through the night there's a brighter day
Everything will be alright if ya hold on
It's a struggle everyday, gotta roll on
And there's no way I can pay you back
But my plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated
Most rappers want to convey some or the other message to the rival gang in their song lyrics but there are some good talented people like Sean Kingston. You know what I'm saying ? Listen to 'Letting go' by the same Sean Kingston. I like his music.
Old 26th November 2010, 22:55   #142
BHPian

While there are many songs that might have influenced our emotions in many ways, I am more influenced by Instrumental music as they don't give you the meaning but rather the feel. And its up to the individual to decipher how he feels while listening to the music. Especially some background scores composed for films have such an impact both on the screen and off it. Here are some that have left such impressions on me. Actually I have many such scores collection but here are a few.

The first from the movie "The last of the Mohicans" (Music by Trevor Jones). This score brings to life the pain, the sorrow resulting out of sins committed by man in wiping out an entire tribe, their way of living, culture and what not. One can feel the pain of the tribe in this small piece of music. There is a bigger version but this would suffice to bring the mood.
Smaller version

Larger version

And this one from "The last samurai" (Music by Hans Zimmer) named "A small measure of peace"; true to its name brings peace whenever I listen to it. It really has a calming effect.

Another one from the same movie named "Idylls End"

Of course the entire score of The Last Samurai" is truly amazing and I personally listen to it almost daily.

And a piece from The curious case of Benjamin Button" If anyone has watched the movie, this score is used when Bradd pitt takes his father to the lake before he dies. Elevates the scene by leaps and bounds. (Music by Alexander Desplat)

P.S. If anyone has come across a movie whose background score was good just tell me. I am a collector of those.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 26th November 2010 at 23:02.
Old 27th November 2010, 01:50   #143
BHPian

Quote:
For all classical music lovers, check out these two songs that have impressed me immensely.

Wonderful raga selection, amazing swara kalpanas (the swaras themselves lending to the sahitya with meaning) and amazing repertoire and reach of the singers.

When Agastya says that only rocks won't melt on hearing music, ravana says, even rocks will melt. Music has that capacity. So they decide to keep the hill nearby as the judge and compete. Mynaga hill melts upon hearing Agastya's music.
Let me add another song on the same lines, only a little older than the one above. Sung by the Maestro Ghantasala, who is literally immortal for telugu music lovers.

In this case the hero tries to alleviate the shaapa (curse) of god Varuna (of course it is just fiction) who is stuck in the rock and can only be rescued by anyone who can melt the rock through his music by playing all the instruments at the same time.

Picture - Jagadeka veeruni katha
Music - Pendyala Nageswara Rao
Singer - Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao
Actor - N.T. Rama Rao or NTR

Another song that I remember is from "Bhairava Dveepam". Its said that seven different Raaga's were used to describe each letter Sa, Ri, Ga, Ma, Pa, Da, and Ni.

Picture - Bhairava Dveepam
Music - Madhavapeddi Suresh
Singer - S.P. Balasubramanyam

And the last one gives me such joy because of the way great vainika Sri Emani Sankara Sastry performed. The scene happens when Siva doesn't give darsan immediately to rAvana to test him. rAvana feeling dejected initially tries to take mount kailasa itself with him, but is humbled. Overcome with sadness of not being able to get darshan, he decides that he will die by doing nada pooja to lord who is the embodiment of nada.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 27th November 2010 at 01:51.
Old 27th November 2010, 12:00   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post

P.S. If anyone has come across a movie whose background score was good just tell me. I am a collector of those.
You might want to check out 'Broken Flowers' directed by Jim Jarmusch, if you haven't already. It has an excellent soundtrack made up entirely of instrumental 'Ethiopian jazz' a genre of music I haven't come across before or since!
Old 27th November 2010, 21:58   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
You might want to check out 'Broken Flowers' directed by Jim Jarmusch, if you haven't already. It has an excellent soundtrack made up entirely of instrumental 'Ethiopian jazz' a genre of music I haven't come across before or since!
Thanks a Lot. Will certainly do that.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:13   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In this case the hero tries to alleviate the shaapa (curse) of god Varuna (of course it is just fiction) who is stuck in the rock and can only be rescued by anyone who can melt the rock through his music by playing all the instruments at the same time.

Picture - Jagadeka veeruni katha
Music - Pendyala Nageswara Rao
Singer - Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao
Actor - N.T. Rama Rao or NTR
Ah, one more song I loved in the 80s.

Quote:
@samurai. I believe Sri Purandhara Dasa is considered as father of karNaTik music not founder as all our classical music stems from sAma vEda. Purandara Dasa classified the rAgAs if I can recollect properly and is the first vaggEyakara known to us.(vAggEyakara is some one who composes and sings the songs himself/herself). I am consciously avoiding karNaTik music as this it will be hard to choose. Every krithi appeals to heart.
Quote:
Correct one here Vamsi. Purandaradasa IS considered the father of carnatic music. He is the person who's decoded the Sarali varisai incidentally and made it easy for all to learn and follow. While Hindustani is considered offshoot of the samaveda, carnatic is from the more vibrant Rig veda.
If not for Purandaradasa, there would be no sampradaya way of teaching carnatic music that's been followed till date! We'd not have been able to decode the great compositions of the holy trinity like Thyagabrahmam, Muthuswami Deekshitar and Syama sastri either.
I am not familiar with the technical aspects of classical music, I just enjoy it. But I do know that Purandara Dasa was also the teacher of Tansen's teacher. So I guess even Tansen wouldn't have been if not for Purandara Dasa. Even Kanakadasa must have learnt classical music from his senior Purandara Dasa since they both were under the same guru Vyasaraja.

Kanaka Dasa, one more great composer and saint of 16th century. Here is a song from him about the caste system.

Old 6th December 2010, 22:15   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
Now i really don't know which thread is the best to post this song but i just want this song to be heard.It's Neil Young's Long May you run which is said to be written about his 1st car he owned.

Dedicated to all those who love their set of wheels and have held them close to their hearts for a long time.

Enjoy

Old 15th December 2010, 14:28   #148
BHPian

Re: Song/s that have made an emotional impact

Another piece of music that leaves breathless. This was composed by Nino Rota for the movie The Godfather. Though disallowed for contention for an Oscar as the jury at that time claimed that the music had similarities with music of some other film of 1950's (that too was composed by Nino Rota. The same music fetched him Oscar when used in The Godfather II. The track name is Speak softly love or simply Love theme from Godfather

Nino Rota composed a piece of music that even The Godfather couldn't refuse, how would the Oscar Jury refuse, that too when Michael corleone is at the helm of affairs

Here's the original one

And the one performed by Andre Rieu
Old 20th January 2011, 00:40   #149
Team-BHP Support

I accidentally came across this video. I was just stunned by the talent this young girl has, check out her other songs too.

Old 20th January 2011, 09:52   #150
Senior - BHPian

Metallica - Fade to black / welcome home
Iron Maiden - No prayer for the dying

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks