Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 22:36   #121
BHPian

Thanks @pramodkumar. I could gather the situation from the video. Just wanted to know the meaning of wordings in the lyric.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:29   #122
Senior - BHPian

Talking about mallu songs, below are also very good songs:

Kanneer Poovinte - Kireedam (The movie was also dubbed in Hindi named Gardish)

Varamanjal - Pranayavarnangal (One of the best songs KS Chitra has sung. She also won the state award for this)

Pathiramazhayetho - Ulladakkam

The meaning to the 3rd song is:
a midnight rain
tunes a sad song of a swan
somewhere a fallen flower
melts in the gloomy moonlight
In the depths of the dark blue sky
the moon's heart is pooled in distress

I am the mere silence in a dark conch shell
ruled over by a ferocious fire of yearning
Have you forgotten my world!
or have my memories been waning!

I see the beauty of your shadow in the empty altar of my gods
a kingdom of love turned into an autumn forest
Where have you gone alone!
Why are my memories waning!

And a Illayaraja Special:
Kannai Kalamalai - Moondaram Pirai
Old 18th October 2010, 20:05   #123
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Listen to this, its an old Arabic song:

Song - Al Jadid
Album - Al Jadid
Artist - Rashed Al Fares

I dint understand a word of what he is singing but it still touched my heart!

The fourth song in the link below-

Amazon.com: Rashed Al Fares: MP3 Downloads

Sadly, the preview plays only a small portion & the best part of the song cannot be heard, so do hear the entire song.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 18th October 2010 at 20:08.
Old 18th October 2010, 20:35   #124
Team-BHP Support

I am not even a pious person. Yet, there are couple of devotional songs that shake me up every time I hear it, let alone see it. If it is on FM, I don't switch off the car until I finish hearing it.

First one, I guess it is the finest combination of music/lyrics/voice/actor to create that perfect devotional song. I haven't seen a better song exploring Bakhti Rasa.

Lyrics: Hunusur Krishnamoorthy
Music: G K Venkatesh
Singer: P B Sreenivas
Actor: Dr.Rajkumar

Second one, I prefer to just hear it without the video. The singer is just too good here. The actress may have overdone a bit.

Lyrics: The 16th century saint Sri Guru Raghavendra Swamy
Music: Not sure
Singer: S Janaki
Actress: Kalpana
Old 18th October 2010, 21:02   #125
MCR
BHPian

After two excellent Bhakthi rasa songs by Samurai san, I would like to add this another song which makes my eyes moist everytime I hear it.

Film : Paduvarahalli Pandavaru

Old 18th October 2010, 22:57   #126
Team-BHP Support

Excellent song MCR! That reminds me of another from the same movie.

I like to hear this song, don't like the visuals that much.
Old 19th October 2010, 00:31   #127
Team-BHP Support

In the 1970-80s, there were some movies in the south that simply transcended the language barrier.

How do I claim that? Because I neither speak Tamil nor Telugu, yet I kept listening to these Tamil/Telugu movie songs all the time.

I guess it was the music that transcended the language barrier. These are highly emoting songs. Read the wiki links of each movie to get better understanding of the film.

Super talented Suhasini in the Tamil film Sindhubairavi (She, her dad, her uncle - All national award winning actors) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sindhu_Bhairavi_(film)

In this Tamil film, the hero prefers to sing classical music in Telugu. But Suhasini urges and later challenges to sing in Tamil.

Now let's look at Telugu. First was a classical musical called Sankarabharanam. Sankarabharanam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1980 we bought our first cassette player (2-in-1), with only one cassette, the Sankarabharanam album. It remained our only cassette for the next one year. Instead of getting sick of listening only one cassette, I got mesmerized by that music. I memorized every song without even knowing the language, and used sing along with the songs as it played.

Some of the great songs from the movie.

The second was a dance/musical Sagara Sangamam, which is also a visual treat. No language needed. Saagara Sangamam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is another great song, but it breaks our forum rule #11, so let's leave it alone.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:41   #128
BHPian

@ samurai. music truly doesn't need language, though it would be great if one knows. As far as the songs from the above two movies that you have mentioned, the only thing I would say is they are among the best. And so are the movies. Kudos to Mr. K.Viswanath for making such movies. As far as I know Sankrabharanam was dubbed into other south Indian languages but the songs were not dubbed and were left alone. Such was the greatness of the lyrics and music. If possible definitely watch those movies.

Director - K.Viswanath
Music Director - K. V. Mahadevan
Lyrics - Veturi Sundararamurthy
Singer - S.P. Balasubramanyam.

Stalwarts at work

Another movie that falls into this category is Sarigamalu or Sargam in malayalam with vineeth in the lead. K.J. Yesudas and SPB have sung too well. Music I believe is again by K.V. Mahadevan, not sure.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 19th October 2010 at 13:44.
Old 19th October 2010, 15:06   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Another movie that falls into this category is Sarigamalu or Sargam in malayalam with vineeth in the lead. K.J. Yesudas and SPB have sung too well. Music I believe is again by K.V. Mahadevan, not sure.
I suppose you are talking about this movie. The songs of this Sargam were composed by Bombay Ravi and is very good as you say.
Old 19th October 2010, 15:49   #130
BHPian

Close Encounters by CLOUSEAU
Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
Old 19th October 2010, 19:25   #131
Team-BHP Support

One song sung by three singers separately in one movie. Now, you might wonder what's the big deal about it. Well, the uniqueness comes from the writer/singers combination, it has never happened before, not likely to happen again.

Writer: Purandara Dasa (founder of Carnatic Classical music)
First Singer: Pundit Bhimsen Joshi (most respected Hindustani Classical singer)
Second Singer: Pundit Bala Murali Krishna (most respected Carnatic Classical singer)
Third Singer: S Janaki (Highly respected south-indian playback singer from the 60-70s)

Songs are back-to-back in the same clip.

Old 22nd October 2010, 19:42   #132
BHPian

I generally don't listen to English songs much, but am very fond of Instrumental music. This particular song however, impressed me so much that I listen to it many a time. Both the versions Instrumental by Henry mancini and Vocal by Andy Williams are too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I suppose you are talking about this movie. The songs of this Sargam were composed by Bombay Ravi and is very good as you say.
Thanks for the correction.

@samurai. I believe Sri Purandhara Dasa is considered as father of karNaTik music not founder as all our classical music stems from sAma vEda. Purandara Dasa classified the rAgAs if I can recollect properly and is the first vaggEyakara known to us.(vAggEyakara is some one who composes and sings the songs himself/herself). I am consciously avoiding karNaTik music as this it will be hard to choose. Every krithi appeals to heart.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 22nd October 2010 at 19:55.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:04   #133
MX6
Senior - BHPian

For all classical music lovers, check out these two songs that have impressed me immensely.

Wonderful raga selection, amazing swara kalpanas (the swaras themselves lending to the sahitya with meaning) and amazing repertoire and reach of the singers.

One is from the movie Agathiyar where there's a competition between Ravana (the mightiest in music with special penchance for and mastery over raaga Kambhoji (kambodhi) and Sage Agastya. Even Raga names come in the lyrics with meaning - for example - Naattai, the raga figures in the line Endha Naattaiyum naadhathal vendriduven composed in raaga naattai, which translates to I will win any land with my Naadha.
Every line is set to a different raga where the raga name comes as a part of the lyric!
And the Swara kalpanas towards the end is amazing.
Lyrics are by Ulundurpettai Shumugam and music is by the great carnatic violinist Shri Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan.
TMS sings for RS Manohar acting as Ravana and Seerkazhi Govindarajan sings for himself acting as Agastya.

The judge for the competition surprisingly is the Mynaga hill. When Agastya says that only rocks won't melt on hearing music, ravana says, even rocks will melt. Music has that capacity. So they decide to keep the hill nearby as the judge and compete. Mynaga hill melts upon hearing Agastya's music.

The second song is from a Kamal movie "Unnal mudiyum thambi" by the great K Balachander (Rudraveena starring chiranjeevi in telugu).
This song doesn't figure in telugu surprisingly.

Amazing selection of ragas by Maestro Ilayaraja. Amazing swarakalpanas that intersperse in between. Again I guess the maestro has taken inspiration from the earlier Agathiyar song that the raga names and swara fits in to the lyrics and literally has a meaning. SPB lends his voice for Kamal and Chitra sings for Yuvarani.

And the biggest surprise package of this song is that the lyrics were written by none other than Ilayaraja himself. A facet in him that less knew of!

People who know Tamil can appreciate the amazing usage of the raga names and swaras as part of lyrics well.

@Vamsi. Yes music is beyond language barriers. But if one takes a bit of pain in trying to understand the lyrics, the experience of appreciating the whole song is elevated. It truely touches the soul. The Bhava of the song gets across to the listener! That was the primary reason for me learning many languages.

Last edited by MX6 : 22nd October 2010 at 20:21.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:28   #134
MCR
BHPian

Two songs from Dr.Vishnuvardhan's movies, these songs depict the meaning of life very well.

1. Film : Mahakshatryiya

2. Film : Karna
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:38   #135
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
@samurai. I believe Sri Purandhara Dasa is considered as father of karNaTik music not founder as all our classical music stems from sAma vEda. Purandara Dasa classified the rAgAs if I can recollect properly and is the first vaggEyakara known to us.(vAggEyakara is some one who composes and sings the songs himself/herself). I am consciously avoiding karNaTik music as this it will be hard to choose. Every krithi appeals to heart.
Correct one here Vamsi. Purandaradasa IS considered the father of carnatic music. He is the person who's decoded the Sarali varisai incidentally and made it easy for all to learn and follow. While Hindustani is considered offshoot of the samaveda, carnatic is from the more vibrant Rig veda.
If not for Purandaradasa, there would be no sampradaya way of teaching carnatic music that's been followed till date! We'd not have been able to decode the great compositions of the holy trinity like Thyagabrahmam, Muthuswami Deekshitar and Syama sastri either.

How a Navakoti Narayana who's greed and Avarice knew no bounds turned to Purandaradasa is a very interesting piece of story. There started evolution of scientific teaching of classical carnatic music!

Here's another great song which touched my heart. From the movie Karna (tamil).

The song is set to raaga Chakravaakam (aahir Bhairavi).

Shivaji Ganesan as Karna lifts the role to a different dimension.
NTR as Krishna - Nothing more can be said. If real krishna comes in front,half of south India might not recognise him, I guess as people associate NTR's looks with Krishna (and Rama).
Kannadasan's lyrics are haunting. He's abridged the essence of Bhagavad gita in this song so beautifully. We all know what Krishna told Arjuna in the form of Gita. From this song, we guess, this is what Krishna has told Karna before taking his Dharma as Bhiksha!
And TMS rendering his voice to NTR as Krishna again shows why he towers above all!
MSV along with Ramamurthy have composed the song.

Again, if one knows Tamil very well, they will find amazing meaning and interpretation of Krishna's act and Karna's sacrifice through the lyrics!

Last edited by MX6 : 22nd October 2010 at 20:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks