Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2007, 14:33   #31
BHPian

Just a general question out here. How many days would it require to cover Dubai, in case of a visit ??
Old 26th October 2007, 14:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

15 days would be more than enough to spend....
Old 26th October 2007, 15:36   #33
BHPian

i covered whole of UAE in 15days. didn't have much sleep. a fast car too helps
Old 27th October 2007, 12:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
bingo what i need i got i guess cheers man thanks a lot

my basic shopping list is like this

new phone
new digicam
baileys, absolut vodka
diesel and police watches
police sun glasses
some stuff for my girlfriend.... the list is long here
car stuff just want sexy engine starter switch or if i get something cool then
some clothes i guess since im there.
and im outta money in the end i guess

what about those desert drivings things i wanna go for those too !!!!
absolute vodka - u can get it from the duty free. if u want to bring to India, then you can pick it up from the departure duty free. I doubt u can carry a bottle from outside.
Sun glassess, perfumes etc, i suggest you buy from the duty free itself. no bargaining but u get (and i beleive at best prices) genuine gaurenteed product and peace of mind. or else try al Falah opticals in Lulu supermarkets. they too are reasonable. shops in malls try to rip and u need to bargain hard.

for desert driving, there are lot of operators. try the buggy thing also. and the dhow cruise.

Last edited by Dhar's : 27th October 2007 at 12:42.
Old 27th October 2007, 13:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
absolute vodka - u can get it from the duty free. if u want to bring to India, then you can pick it up from the departure duty free. I doubt u can carry a bottle from outside.

You will not allowed to carry liquids from outside into cabin, So after security check you can buy from duty free shops.

AFAIK you can bring 2 bottles per person.
Old 27th October 2007, 13:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

I didn't go through the complete thread but from whatever i read people were discussing on shopping digicams.
For digicams, with the falling dollar price US looks to be cheaper. The local price of Olympus E510 with dual kit lens is 42000. On Amazon it comes to about 32-33K. Buy it online, ship to somebody who is flying to India from US in the near future. Only thing you have to worry is customs.
Old 30th October 2007, 15:21   #37
BANNED

got prices of phones from dubai. n95 is there for 20k and iphone for 22k only 1k or 2k max difference, id be damned now. booze and clothes i guess it is for shopping there now.
Old 30th October 2007, 15:26   #38
BANNED

small thing, if i do get the booze from duty free then i am free to carry it into the plane right as hand baggage or do i have to put them in the bag as check in. normally i carry it with me in the plane, but dubai laws i have no clue to at all..... also ill be comin back from sharjan airport and not dubai so worth while anything in shopping at sharjah airport or not ?
Old 30th October 2007, 18:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
small thing, if i do get the booze from duty free then i am free to carry it into the plane right as hand baggage or do i have to put them in the bag as check in. normally i carry it with me in the plane, but dubai laws i have no clue to at all..... also ill be comin back from sharjan airport and not dubai so worth while anything in shopping at sharjah airport or not ?
Dubai allows 4 bottles IN, no restriction on OUT....It'll be at India where you would face the heat.

Owing to recent policy changes, now when you buy liquor, they will record the flight data and just before the boarding one guy from the same duty free would be standing with the purchases, you can go there and claim your bag and take it inside the plane.
Old 30th October 2007, 19:10   #40
Awaiting Email Confirmation

sharjah airports expensive for everything.period.
Old 30th October 2007, 20:38   #41

About new electronic..i would suggest you to buy it from India itself...because if there is a problem in it...you cant come all the way here to change/repair it or send your electronic over here!

For watches: Go to any mall check for "hour choice" or "Rivoli"
Rivoli is nice...I purchased my tissot from there with 3 years guarantee

Police Sun glasses go to any optical shop in citycentre, Mall of the Emirates and be sure to go to Sahara centre Sharjah...its that popular but it has everything under 1 roof and the prices are better then City centre Dubai.

Booze: get it from Duty free...u need a license to purchase it from here and its dead expensive.

Car Stuff: Trust me Sharjah is the place..ull go mad by seeing the shops there! its the best place to get anything for a car

If you want car audio forget sharaf DG...they have a limited stock.

PM about audio ill help u get the best deals

ohh and i want chicks too! some1 help me on that :P

Best of luck..enjoy Dubai....but just be careful of the arrogant cab drivers..dont hessitate to call the company if they refuse to go anywhere you tell them!

Last edited by F50 : 30th October 2007 at 23:21.
Old 30th October 2007, 23:06   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studboy_441 View Post
About new electronic..i would suggest you to buy it from India itself...because if there is a problem in it...you cant come all the way here to change/repair it or send your electronic over here!

Rivoli is nice...I purchased my tissot from there with 3 years guarantee

Police Sun glasses go to any optical shop in citycentre, Mall of the Emirates and be sure to go to Sahara centre Sharjah...its that popular but it has everything under 1 roof and the prices are better then City centre Dubai.

Booze: get it from Duty free...u need a license to purchase it from here and its dead expensive.

Car Stuff: Trust me Sharjah is the place..ull go mad by seeing the shops there! its the best place to get anything for a car

If you want car audio forget sharaf DG...they have a limited stock.

PM about audio ill help u get the best deals

ohh and i want chicks too! some1 help me on that :P

Best of luck..enjoy Dubai....but just be careful of the arrogant cab drivers..dont hessitate to call the company if they refuse to go anywhere you tell them!

cheers mate to this, thanks ill try to enjoy a new place for a change now. tired of bangkok every year. booze i think ill get 3 bottles max. but when i came from bangkok i had no issues here in india to get them out. came with 6 bottles. dutyfree prices cheap like for baileys one litre how much retails for, if a lot might as well buy from here,.
Old 31st October 2007, 00:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jesal,

As per new security rules, you will be asked that if you have more than 100ml liquid in your handbag either put it in luggage or else you will have to throw it in dustbin before security check. Even a bottle of mineral water.

But after security check there will be duty free shops and you can buy liquids from there and ask them to lock in plastic bag, they will lock it and tell you that do not open the plastic bottle, after that you can carry that bag to cabin.

and i am told that in india you can carry 2 bottles of liquor without any custom clarification.

now is it clear ??
Old 31st October 2007, 11:18   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Jesal,

As per new security rules, you will be asked that if you have more than 100ml liquid in your handbag either put it in luggage or else you will have to throw it in dustbin before security check. Even a bottle of mineral water.

But after security check there will be duty free shops and you can buy liquids from there and ask them to lock in plastic bag, they will lock it and tell you that do not open the plastic bottle, after that you can carry that bag to cabin.

and i am told that in india you can carry 2 bottles of liquor without any custom clarification.

now is it clear ??
ya bhai i asked this same thing only, u were nice enough to get into details. wht i dint add was 3 people are going so makes it 6 liters for me. thats what i meant. dont want to buy anything from the market and get on in the plane with that. was asking if i buy from dutyfree can i get that in the plane or not. all sorted now , thanks again, if u remember something more to tips what to do and what not to, pm me cheers
Old 31st October 2007, 12:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studboy_441 View Post
I second that. Both my "EverSwiss" and "Raymond Weil" are doing well.

Rado would be worth buying as well (lot of difference MRP wise)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks