Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:21   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help!! Lost my driving license! What to do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Hi guys, a friend took the licence test today in Pune and passed it. He got an acknowledgement slip and the RTO guys said that the licence will be send by post to his house in two weeks. His query is can this slip be used as a driving licence till he gets his licence??? I am confused and couldn't answer. But I remember riding around in Cochin with the slip (got my licence when I was 19) that's a decade back. How is the situation now???
I had lost my wallet along with my license earlier this year, and thankfully, I had photocopies of the same. When I took the photocopies along with the police complaint to the RTO, the officials took just about 15 minutes, and my duplicate was underway. A few stamps, a few signatures and a mug shot is all they will require. And after that, they gave me a slip of acknowledgement saying that my duplicate is on it's way.

Now, during that period of one month that I did not have my license, I carried this acknowledgement with me when I had to drive. And then I got caught by a cop while I was taking what I thought was a free left. When I showed him the slip, he said, "Okay, now cut the fine!"
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 16:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Yes, the slip can be used instead of the license till he gets his license. And it generally doesn't take 2 weeks, took 4 weeks here in Thane.

The RTO dude in Pune said the licence will come by post within 8 days That will be a new record by Pune RTO!!!
Old 17th January 2012, 12:27   #48
BHPian

Guys, can anyone let me know whether I can get my duplicate license from anywhere in India or does it have to be from the original place of issue.

I had lost my wallet and apart from the money [plastic and otherwise] the only thing of importance was my Driving License.
I am quite careless and this has happened quite a few times before and I used to get the Duplicate issued in no time at all as I knew some people there.
But, the problem now is that my village is covered in snow and is likely to remain like that for some time. Would I have to wait for normalcy to restore there or can I get it reissued at some other RTO; Chandigarh for instance?

Thanks.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:44   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The RTO dude in Pune said the licence will come by post within 8 days That will be a new record by Pune RTO!!!
Not in 8 days for sure but I received my RC book in 3 weeks. My sister received her RC book after 4 months. So it is kind of inconsistent. Any idea if they have an option for pickup?
Old 6th February 2012, 22:21   #50
Team-BHP Support

My license was issued in Chennai.
I now reside in Hyderabad.

Lost my license. :(

What is the best way to go about it.
I have a scan copy of my license and also a decent photocopy of the same.

Do I log an FIR in Hyderabad that I have lost my license.
How do I use that and get a duplicate license issued from Chennai.

Or is it just simpler to log an FIR in Hyderabad and get a new license from here itself.
Because my license was anyways going to expire in just another 5 years.
Old 14th February 2012, 17:27   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My license was issued in Chennai.
I now reside in Hyderabad.

Lost my license. :(

What is the best way to go about it.
I have a scan copy of my license and also a decent photocopy of the same.

Do I log an FIR in Hyderabad that I have lost my license.
How do I use that and get a duplicate license issued from Chennai.

Or is it just simpler to log an FIR in Hyderabad and get a new license from here itself.
Because my license was anyways going to expire in just another 5 years.
BBlostji, I don't think Hyderabad RTO guys can do much. And Chennai RTO guys can only send the licence to the original address (the one which is on your licence). In Pune and Mumbai and even Kerala, licence is not given directly to the person. It is mailed to the given address. I think this is the rule in most RTOs now.
So your best option will be to get a NOC (no objection certificate) for transfer of licence from Chennai to Hyderabad from Chennai RTO. You just need to submit it to Hyderabad RTO along with address proof. Voila you will get a licence from Hyderabad RTO.
Old 14th February 2012, 21:28   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BBlostji, I don't think Hyderabad RTO guys can do much. And Chennai RTO guys can only send the licence to the original address (the one which is on your licence). In Pune and Mumbai and even Kerala, licence is not given directly to the person. It is mailed to the given address. I think this is the rule in most RTOs now.
That is cool. My family still lives there.

Any idea how to kick start this process.
Old 14th February 2012, 23:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That is cool. My family still lives there.

Any idea how to kick start this process.

For getting the NOC, all you need is a copy of your licence. And you don't have to go there personally. Even your relative can do the process.
In every RTO there is usually a PRO. Just meet him, and he will guide you...
And there is a set format for the NOC letter. The rto guys know it... the important thing is that the letter should have a NOC number. I think you need to pay some fee also (I don't remember the exact amount).

But if you want to stick with the Chennai address, then get an FIR from any police station (in Hyderabad or Chennai) and take it to the PRO guy again. He will guide you...
Old 16th June 2012, 19:53   #54
BHPian

I have an Indian Driver's License that was in my wallet for a few months and it faded (the ink was on the wallet) - it's hard to see the photo and the photo is invisible if I attempt to photocopy it. How can I apply for a new one? I didn't lose my license, so I don't know what procedure they have to replace an existing license.
Old 16th June 2012, 19:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I have an Indian Driver's License that was in my wallet for a few months and it faded (the ink was on the wallet) - it's hard to see the photo and the photo is invisible if I attempt to photocopy it. How can I apply for a new one? I didn't lose my license, so I don't know what procedure they have to replace an existing license.
It will be covered under damaged License, goto the RTO, file an application and get it changed.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
It will be covered under damaged License, goto the RTO, file an application and get it changed.

This is helpful information. Can this be done in any RTO or has to be at the place of issue ?
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
This is helpful information. Can this be done in any RTO or has to be at the place of issue ?
Needs to be done at the Issuing RTO only.
Old 4th October 2012, 19:02   #58
BHPian

Driving License Completely Faded

Was in my wallet, which went for a wash
Completely illegible now, and I do not have any photocopies. Any idea what to do now?
Old 4th October 2012, 19:42   #59
BHPian

Re: Driving License Completely Faded

Get a duplicate from RTO. You will need to provide requisite documents, though.
Old 4th October 2012, 19:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving License Completely Faded

If there is too much of hurdle, apply for a new one. I don't think they would have a system to check for the duplicates. Sometimes, getting a new license is easy. Of course you have to spend some money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks