Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:03   #1
BHPian

Who let the dogs out?

It was Thursday morning. A holiday due to Kannada Rajyotsav Diwas. Usual holiday like, I woke up late at around 10:00 AM. I was happily browsing the Spark ICE threads on Team-bhp. Suddenly I hear loud dog cry. Then one more cry. It was around 11:00 AM. I go out in the balcony to see what's happening. I don't find anyone there. Then the door bell rings. I open the door. My land lady's maid is requesting to take my car out as a dog is stuck under my car. I am surprised as how a dog can stuck himself under a parked car.

My apartment in on second floor of the building. I quickly take the keys of the car and go down. I see that there are three ladies surrounding the car. My land lady, her maid, and the lady who stays on the ground floor apartment. Let me give a very brief introduction...
1. My land lady is an educated women. She has a daughter who goes in a up market school.
2. The lady who stays on the ground floor is a lecturer in an evening college and is studying M.Tech with BMS Engineering college. She would be around 30 years in age and has two kids.

Apart from these three ladies my car is also surrounded by brooms in all shapes, sizes, and varieties. I bend down and look underneath my car. I see a 3 month (maximum) old puppy is staring in my eyes. Growling, showing all his teeth. However at the same time trembling heavily. His eyes had so much pain. I stand up and tell land lady's maid to remove all the broom sticks immediately. I ask the ladies if they have a roti (chapati) or two. The reply - 'we don't make rotis'. Okay, do you have bread? One of the ladies says, 'I have biscuits'. Okay, please bring them. After a minute the lady returns with two glucose biscuits in her hand.

I bend down again, the puppy is still trembling in fear. I offer a biscuit. Hungry, he wants to grab the biscuit, but is so frightened that is not ready to move out. To win his confidence, I leave biscuit with him. After eating the biscuit, the pain in his eyes eases out a little. He is still reluctant to come out. The ladies are shouting - 'don't give the biscuit there only, otherwise he will not come out'. Please for god's sake, let me win the confidence of the poor soul. I come out of the parking bay and shout my wife's name. She comes out in the balcony. I request her to bring down some bread slices. Meanwhile, I offer the second biscuit to the puppy. In a minute's time, my wife is down. I am speaking to her and I see that the puppy followed me and is standing wagging his tail. He has come out. He follows me out of the parking bay. The ladies close the doors, so he doesn't enter again. I leave the bread slices with the puppy. He is happy.

I come up to my apartment and go to balcony to see if the puppy has finished eating the bread slices. He is still eating. After couple of minutes he starts walking away. I notice that he is not able to walk properly. May be due to the injuries from the brutal broom stick assault.

I come inside my bedroom. I look at the mirror. The question that stares at me is - Whether humans have become more dog like or dogs have become more humane. I leave it to the members of the forum to decide.

Note: I am sorry for the long narrative. The long length is not intentional.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:12   #2
BHPian

atleast on reading the attitudes of those ladies, i think the first part or ur question is appropriate.
Every being has got equal right to stay in this world...if everyone understood this, it would have been great...
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Insulated.

Thats the word I would use for these ladies.
Our society today thanks to all the apartments, shops and modern amenities has made us into very insulated people. We speak with only our near and dear one's. Our colleagues are our friends and our social interactions are limited to a very small circle. Our parents had friends from completly different backgrounds, chance meetings in a bus stand would transform into life long friendships. Today we dont even smile at the tens of people we interact with everyday. Everyone and everything is veiwed at as a potential burden in terms of either money or time.

Everyone is so busy these days.
Taking some time to evaluate our daily time spend we realise that allthough we have so many things to make life easy, we waste our time in things like T.V., traffic and so on.

Wake up early eachday is a nice way to change this.
The elders had much sense when they said early to bed, early to rise.
I don't adhere to this, but am trying very hard to do so.

Rather than sit in front of TV for quality time, go for a walk in the park.
Eat your dinner with the family.
the way to beat traffic, is not by driving faster, but leaving home earlier.

That extra money you earn is not really gonna be worth it when at the end of the day that is all you have.

Start enjoying life, and you will become a better person.
Smile. at everyone and also at yourself in the mirror.

have a feeling, I have gone totally off-topic.
just hope you enjoy reading this as much as I did writing it.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

I really like the way you handled the Situation Akbaree.

As to answer your question.. I am fond of Dogs in fact very fond of them irrespective of their breeds. What I certainly dont like is the fact that there are so many of them on the roads creating panic & havoc. Blame it on a certain Ms Gandhi..

So even though I like dogs my priority is to save myself than saving a Dog on the road.
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I notice that he is not able to walk properly. May be due to the injuries from the brutal broom stick assault.
*Trying hard not to use inappropriate words for those ladies*

Whats wrong with people ?
How can anyone hit a small puppy ?
Sigh....
Old 2nd November 2007, 16:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Loved the way you handled that akbaree,

its strange how some people who appear to be so intelligent are actually such fools.
Old 2nd November 2007, 18:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I really like the way you handled the Situation Akbaree.

As to answer your question.. I am fond of Dogs in fact very fond of them irrespective of their breeds. What I certainly dont like is the fact that there are so many of them on the roads creating panic & havoc. Blame it on a certain Ms Gandhi..

So even though I like dogs my priority is to save myself than saving a Dog on the road.
Well, that's why humans have wisdom. The poor soul was harmless, just resting under my car.
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Poor puppy! I must applaud you for the way you handled it. What dissapoints me is the attitude of so called educated people towards a 3 month old puppy? Humanity is all but lost. We have 5 new born puppies nearby my house and me and my family make sure that they get a hearty meal atleast once everyday. One of them was bitten on the leg by a neighbour's pet dog, a german shephard. The guy didnt even care to look at the dog and when someone from his family tried and apply medicine, he stopped saying its just a stray dog! The next day his leg was swollen to the size of an adult dog and I could see all the muscles inside. I couldnt bear it, she just a 2 month old puppy. From that day onwards I have been taking her to a vet for dressing and injection almost every second or third day. The wound has almost healed now and I just cant put it in words how I felt when I saw her walking again without pain. These animals have an amazing amount of patience, even when they untie the dressing with the bandage stuck to the wound or while injecting, she doesnt has a trace of squirmer on her face. I love it, when each one of them comes running towards me the moment they see me from a distance. I love it when they run round and round around my legs to get my attention, they are better human beings than we are.

Here's one of them.....

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd November 2007 at 21:41. Reason: image link fixed
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

@akbaree: Yes, even I would have done the same as you. I wouldnt hit any dog unless its coming to bite me
Old 2nd November 2007, 19:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

extreme torque - Kudos to you buddy.!
Old 2nd November 2007, 20:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I dunno why are you blaming Ms Gandhi here? Are you also of the opinion that stray dogs have no right to live and should be culled?
The birth rates can be controlled if the government was serious rather than taking the easy way out and culling them all.
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Cheers to you extreme torque, we really need more people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dunno why are you blaming Ms Gandhi here? Are you also of the opinion that stray dogs have no right to live and should be culled?
The birth rates can be controlled if the government was serious rather than taking the easy way out and culling them all.
I agree, if you hear how dogs were killed earlier it will make you sick.

The BMC would throw them against a wall repetedly to kill them or electrocute them. Sterilization IS the solution to this problem and has been proven to work.

I tihnk the BMC has now outsourced the sterilization process to NGOs and hopefully things will be under control.

Last edited by khanak : 2nd November 2007 at 22:31.
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:21   #13
BHPian

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this thread.

@extreme_torque: You are a great soul. Thanks for sharing that beautiful puppy picture.
You have very rightly said in your flickr album - Eyes say it all....All they need is little concern and to be treated as living beings and they will be your friend for life.

Last edited by akbaree : 2nd November 2007 at 23:34.
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Saving oneself by hitting the dog
I guess there are better ways of saving oneself.
yea,
thats just going to aggravate the dog and you would get bitten worse.
Old 3rd November 2007, 00:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Now where's the resident dog lover ? He should have already been here with his Encyclopedia about dogs and how one should treat them . Mahesh where art though ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks