Very aggressive. Taxi drivers are scared of you 12 10.53%
Choose your own style. 33 28.95%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 14:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: What kind of driver are you?

I am of the number one category(Sedated,defensive,calm and indifferent. In short I am a Buddha in driving coz he is calm.passionate and peace loving.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Do you really see someone positioning themselves as "Offensive, rash"?
Good point. Well, I know a few of my friends who are quite oblivious to the concept of considerate driving and declare themselves: "This is how I drive on the road. Take it or leave it." which I am sure most t-bhpians are NOT!
Old 25th October 2011, 14:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Problem is you have clubbed 'indifferent, sedate' with 'defensive' which makes it difficult to vote. I practice defensive driving that also means you need to be considerate and can't be indifferent to what is happening around.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Problem is, I will assume that I drove in a "spirited" fashion at a strech of road when I'm in the mood. But to someone else, that would constitute rash driving.

My point being, I don't think most individuals will be able to answer this question objectively. They perhaps need to ask the people around them and then tick the right box
I totally agree with your point. Given a chance, most people will vote for the spirited but considerate option. And there is mostly no way of judging this by the individual herself/himself. Better still, if a rash driver is driving in between a set of considerate drivers, will he be termed as spirited but not rash, because the others give him way?

In my case, I'm usually a sedate driver, was a bit rash earlier, but if somebody tries to show over-smartness, I don't budge. Example, suppose I'm waiting behind a queue of vehicles and somebody tries to use the road shoulder at the left and passes me, only to find some vehicle or obstacle in his path. Then he tries to merge into the proper lane by cutting in, I don't allow them to. Same with people who overtake on a blocked 2 lane road. I usually drive around to find a proper parking place even if I find some cars parked in a no-parking area and space is available there. I've seen that most of the times, nothing happens to the people who does wrong parking, but still, my mind does not allow me to do it. (marked others in the poll)
Old 25th October 2011, 14:44   #50
BHPian

I drive fast, but within the limits, when the roads are empty. In traffic I just follow the other cars, keeping the speed at par with the average speed of the traffic, no sudden acceleration or braking. Manage to save a bit of better average this way. But in rare occasions when drivers get on my nerves, I do tend to give them a bit of their own medicine. I am no Buddha and will never say that nothing gets in my nerves.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
However, as I grow older and with more thousands of kilometers under my belt, I can sense that my driving style has evolved to a greeat extent,
Ditto here. There was a time when I didn't like anyone who overtook me and over a period I transformed to a sedate/considerate driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Problem is you have clubbed 'indifferent, sedate' with 'defensive' which makes it difficult to vote. I practice defensive driving that also means you need to be considerate and can't be indifferent to what is happening around.
Well, by "indifferent" I didn't mean the Scorpio-type indifferent. More like not being disturbed by others!

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th October 2011 at 16:29. Reason: Refrain from back to back posting. Please read the rules of the forum
Old 25th October 2011, 15:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

If I am chasing deadlines I am a spirited driver. If there are no pressures, I may be sedate, even allowing idiots to cut across my car and not swear at them. So it's really a mixed mode.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:42   #53
BHPian

Re: Driving style

Actually the new survey is not very different from the first. Should it be something in the line of speed in the city, highway, changing lanes, ensuring if you are in left lane to take left, right lane to take a right and in neither if you are to go straight [lane discipline] etc

Last edited by NVI2112 : 25th October 2011 at 15:48.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

By 'Spirited but not inconsiderate or rash' you mean those who occasionally break the speed limit, you know when they see an empty road? Or those who redline their cars in lower gears but are still in speed limit?

1 & 2 sound more or less the same to me. Can I be Defensive and not be Considerate? Or I'm Considerate but not Calm?

I could think of a little different poll here:

What's your driving style?
1. Sedate/Considerate/Defensive (City & Highway)
2. Rip the car's heart out mostly (City & Highway)
3. Sedate in city, drag racing on highway
4. Vice Versa Pt.3
5, 6, & 7. Everything same as 2, 3 & 4. but within speed limit
8. A driver who is mostly considerate, aware of the fact that the no. of morons on the road outweigh drivers like bhpians, is learning not to get provoked on road (or has mastered this art successfully) but does involve in a little spirited driving* occasionally.

*I'll leave the definition for you all to decipher

EDIT: I can only imagine how many would pick 8 followed by 1

Last edited by fine69 : 25th October 2011 at 15:44.
Old 25th October 2011, 16:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Well, by "indifferent" I didn't mean the Scorpio-type indifferent. More like not being disturbed by others!
In that case 'defensive' and 'indifferent' do not go together. They are two extreme driving styles.
In a defensive driving style, you always watch out for others who might do mistakes and you accommodate and make up for that and in the end you don't get in to accident situation because of 'someone else's mistake'.
Old 25th October 2011, 17:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

My car has made me a sedate and defensive driver; Elantra behaves best with this driving style and doesn't like to be hustled around.
Old 25th October 2011, 17:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

In city? I'm never in a hurry!
On Highway? Depends on my mood. Mostly spirited on open stretch, overtaking or trying to overtake everything in front of me but no rash driving.
Old 25th October 2011, 17:56   #58
BHPian

Nice thread...voted My own style...

I would say that I am a conscientious driver most of the time - this means, I'll overtake when it's absolutely no risk to do so, speed when there would be no consequences, call my driver when I'm drinking and catch an auto on weekends.

Most of the time, I'm chilling in my car. I don't believe in getting aggravated on the road and most of the time I'm grooving to the tunes playing on the system. My car would essentially be my happy place.
Old 26th October 2011, 01:12   #59
BHPian

Hi everybody
I err on the side of caution rather than take a chance hoping to get away with it.
I look out for others mistakes.
As far as aggressive behaviour by people who come from the wrong side that makes me see red.Unfortunately there is nothing you can do.Just get over it and drive.
Happy diwali to all
Regards
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:54   #60
BHPian

Normal mild. Calm and composed, come what may!

I really do not like spirited driving. Like the calm and composed one both in city and on the highways. if i get an open stretch in the city I generally keep the car below 2000 rpm and keep maximum of 60kmph. You never when or from where someone turns up without a care for their own life. Happened to me once in front of Advaith Hyundai near Brigade Road. Someone was crossing and talking on the phone. I braked and stopped, he kept moving without giving a damn. And if anything had happened I'd have been blamed.

On highways, I like the relaxed way. Keep it planted at 80 - 90. only if needed to get somewhere fast do I push triple digits.

And I hate honking uselessly.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks