Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2008, 15:40   #16
BHPian

[quote=mobike008;687910]Well, this is nothing new. I have faced several times hostility in Chennai ( mostly when going in for my visa) right from auto fella to hotel folks are downright unhelpful and auto guys take you for a royal ride-they took me for a ride around the railway station and charged me 50 bucks ( since i don't know jack**** about Tamil).
quote]

Lets take the Auto walla completely out of the topic, coz they are the same everywhere. In Chennai at least the offer you a ride if u agree to pay them a bit more. In Bangalore i have had times when i have stopped almost 10-15 auto fellas, asking them for a ride, and they simply refuse you for no reason at all....god know why they ever became auto drivers on the first place !!
Old 14th January 2008, 15:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

And how do you think this will make things better for you, the kind of people you have encountered are found on each and every corner of the road and in all metro cities.

The only way to tackle them is to talk back in their own way and carry on with your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have only 1 choice now. Move back to blore ASAP. This will take some time as I moved to a new company 2 months back. Leaving them so soon and getting another job in blore is going to be tough. I am thoroughly disgusted with the constant hostility and so dont see any choice but moving back.
They are the ones who create the most chaos on the roads and if you look around all such incidents have them as the lead artist in the whole story. They cant be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Lets keep Autorickshaw drivers/taxi drivers out of this.

Cos i believe whenever someone outsider goes to a place,he's taken for a ride.

it has happened with my south indian friends in delhi and it has happened with me so many times in bangalore.

As these guys are totally short on morals and never miss a chance of earning an extra buck by cheating someone helpless in a foreign land.

but yes if the native people are like that then the situation is bad
Old 14th January 2008, 15:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

I worked in Chennai for a year.

I didnt receive any hostile treatments. The locals do not accept outsiders easily. Its difficult to survive in Chennai without knowing Tamil. Knowing Tamil is a must to live in Chennai.

In Bangalore, I can easily manage with Hindi. What I liked about Chennai is that the influence of western culture is less compared to Bangalore.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
In Bangalore i have had times when i have stopped almost 10-15 auto fellas, asking them for a ride, and they simply refuse you for no reason at all.
Sadly thats true. I have faced that issue many times when i need to return back home after a visit to a pub. Even the cop doing his rounds didnt care when i told him i intended to take an auto, as i dont drink and drive. I wish the pubs in blore had a drop facility like the BPO's.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:46   #20
BHPian

I think its all a matter of opinion. All these incidents happen due to the fact that our states are formed on the basis on language spoken (a very grave historical mistake done).
I have seen north indian ladies insist that they be served 'sabzi' and 'achar' with roti/chapathi in a 'hotel' in trivandrum. I have also seen tamilians looking for 'ghee roast' in a Delhi.
I have also met a very friendly tamilian taxi driver in Mumbai. A very friendly sardarji auto driver in mathura road in Delhi.
I am strongly against 'generalization' of the sort 'Tamilians hate Hindi people' 'North Indians call every South Indian madrasi (in the intended sense of that word)'. Yes, we do have history of such incidents/feelings.
But in this era, isn't this feeling diluting? Inspite of rising levels of religious/ethnic intolerance, there still are diverse group of people who coexist, like on t-bph.
And why is it that being from various ethnic/cultural backgrounds we are able to coexist on t-bhp? Because, we have a subject to discuss that is void of these differences.
Yes, that is what matters. And that is what is required. More time and thought spent on constructive thoughts; less time and thought devoted to issues such as religion and ethnicity, which act as hindrances to progress.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey man, it happens to everyone and it happened to me last night.

Iam not fair (complexion) like u (i have seen the meet photos) and it was an auto guy, with 3 guys in the rear seat fully drunken, braked hard with a screeching sound behind my two wheeler.

He did that intentionally to scare me. I waved my hands indicating him to stop, but quickly understood those guys were there to taste the blood of someone.

Just said "Sorry Anna, Neega ponga", (Sorry brother you can proceed) they smiled at me and accelerated cutting past a MTC bus.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to hear your experiences, Aditya. Alarming in fact, that you are considering moving from the place.

However, even I am of the opinion that this might not exactly be "hate crime". Most of the Tamilians I know (residing in TN and expats) are some of the nicest persons. I am sure a well educated Tamilian would not behave like this, but then unfortunately you do come in touch with people from every layer of society since you make a living there.

If I were in a situation like yours, I would ignore all these worthless numbskulls... or join a gym.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
And how do you think this will make things better for you, the kind of people you have encountered are found on each and every corner of the road and in all metro cities.

The only way to tackle them is to talk back in their own way and carry on with your life.
Well Dadu, i have listed only 2 incidents. There are several more, although trivial. I agree there are pro's and con's in each city, but I am not the only one complaining. People here (local population) need to at least acknowledge that one is making an effort to converse in their language, not flame him for grammatical errors.

I am yet to hear from a person living in blore that he was ignored or subjected to rude behaviour for not speaking in kannada. Yes i agree that auto drivers are a pain but i also did experience nicer ones of the lot. I am talking in general not pointing at an auto driver alone as some incidents have no auto drivers in them.

Glad i didnt talk back to that guy. The situation could have been much worse.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th January 2008 at 16:01.
Old 14th January 2008, 15:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

many a times i think its the car. each city has its plus points and minus points. I have come to realise - any scrape on the paint can be taken off - but its not worth raising ones blood pressure for this. We all care about our cars a lot, and one's blood boils when something happens, but honestly - i would much rather stick the finger than reduce myself to the level and go and fight. but then again - thats me.
Old 14th January 2008, 16:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to hear from a person living in blore that he was ignored or subjected to rude behaviour for not speaking in kannada.
You may not hear the same here as people here are of cosmopolitical in nature. They understand local language/Hindi & some english. they try to answer to you in whateve the language you have asked them with or they will direct you to somebody who knows the language speak. Well, this is my experience here in Bangalore.
Old 14th January 2008, 16:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
We all care about our cars a lot, and one's blood boils when something happens.
Well i inspected the rear bumper for damage and there was a minor scratch thats all.

Wasnt ticked off for that but was ticked off for the attitude and the behaviour of the persons in the auto. And forget them realising their mistake or rudeness, one guy got off the auto and came towards me for a fight. I mean the least these guys can do is treat other people with respect. One thing is to act rowdy and another is to support that act.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th January 2008 at 16:08.
Old 14th January 2008, 16:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
... or join a gym.
Its better to avoid such situations rather than fighting it out. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger wud be praying to bail him out from these guys as this ball game is altogether different
Old 14th January 2008, 16:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yes, a verbal duel here and there is fine but not road shows. Ignore the rest if they come to fight and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Its better to avoid such situations rather than fighting it out. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger wud be praying to bail him out from these guys as this ball game is altogether different
Old 14th January 2008, 16:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Just like your experiences in chennai, I have similar stories to narrate in Bangalore mostly with the auto drivers, but never let it go beyond the verbal abuses.

I am from north working in bangalore, dont know kannada !!!

Quote:
Well Dadu, i have listed only 2 incidents. There are several more, although trivial. I agree there are pro's and con's in each city, but I am not the only one complaining. People here (local population) need to at least acknowledge that one is making an effort to converse in their language, not flame him for grammatical errors.
Old 14th January 2008, 16:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Just like your experiences in chennai, I have similar stories to narrate in Bangalore mostly with the auto drivers, but never let it go beyond the verbal abuses.
with you totally. Like mentioned earlier, auto drivers are the same all over the country.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed