Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 17:29   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: IT industry salary survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
In my organization, we are having a hard time hiring junior developers with 2.5-5 years of experience. People with 2.5 years of ex asking for 12 lacs + and 4+ years asking for 20 Lacs+. I think there is a huge surge in demand of good quality junior developers as every company is trying to hire them
Not really. Find out who is the primary recruiter for you. If it is external but limited to just one or two vendors then try empanelling more to break a monopoly or duopoly. This is a very regular problem.

Another possibility that many MNCs, mainly captives, face is that their primary recruiters are in-house employees (so called staffing teams). Often their is a massive inertia in these departments (many reasons) which causes such problems. Solution? Well, long term fix is possible but in the interim the hiring managers need to make a lot of noise, escalations etc. to eventually get suitable profiles.
Old 8th June 2016, 20:09   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Fresh news... Infosys hands out 6-12% hike.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/51839293.cms

What does this mean? Worst performers get 6% and best performers get 12%?

How are the hikes this year in product and services companies?
In my company which is in service sector hike went up to 23% and for those eligible for promotion went up to 30%.
Old 8th June 2016, 20:21   #273
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

There is a thumb rule.
Every year of experience is valued at about 1.5 to 2 lacs in the case of most services and product organisations. Exceptional cases may see the value at 3 lacs.
These are very fair valuations.

The trouble is that the market has gotten spoilt rotten over the last few years with all the VC money flying around. The beginnings of the market correction and stabilisation are now upon us and I don't think people can afford to be unrealistic any more.

Also, with all the news buzzing around about startup companies and others deferring their recruitments and deferring the joining date of all those campus hires etc, are definitely creating a bit of a ruckus right now in the market.

So the bottomline is that if one is a young person in the industry and is holding a good quality job with an enjoyable work culture and company culture and is enjoying the quality of work one is doing, then one must simply hang in there.

The future is most certainly uncertain and if one is to grow and become successful then one MUST learn to think long term rather than behave like a Don Quixote!

End of the day this is a business transaction - one is selling one's services at a certain price. The market is willing to buy at a certain price. So it is most important (if one wants the job that is) to reach a middle ground and move on! Excessively unrealistic expectations will simply land one in hot water sometime or other!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th June 2016 at 20:24.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 20:22   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In my organization, we are having a hard time hiring junior developers with 2.5-5 years of experience. People with 2.5 years of ex asking for 12 lacs + and 4+ years asking for 20 Lacs+. I think there is a huge surge in demand of good quality junior developers as every company is trying to hire them
Wow, that's like 5x times the years of experience. A situation created by negative revenue companies (read as startup ) who don't know what to do with all the funding.

Don't worry about them. Your recruiters should highlight the pros of working for your company, and then target people who like those aspects. Don't get into salary pissing contests with startups. Also, read my older article here for tips on how to hire within your budget.
Old 8th June 2016, 20:33   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, there are companies like Ola, PayTM, Mobile Iron who pay 25LPA for a 4 years experienced Java developer.How i know? Coz my friends have been offered that package! I really do not know if they are so intelligent or i am so dumb. Kind of gets me confused as to where to head or what to think?!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 21:21   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Well, there are companies like Ola, PayTM, Mobile Iron who pay 25LPA for a 4 years experienced Java developer.How i know? Coz my friends have been offered that package! I really do not know if they are so intelligent or i am so dumb. Kind of gets me confused as to where to head or what to think?!
ONE, that isn't going to last long because it ain't their own money and TWO, absurd salary packages usually come with absurd strings attached as Samurai loves to say

Most startups or young firms are using VC money imprudently to get whatever talent they think they need right now. Cost pressures begin to take a toll soon enough, and the same people hired at absurd salaries will bear the brunt of that.

Not everybody ends up suffering, but do look at the other side of this scenario with all the recent layoffs and belt-tightening measures at aggressive startups.
Old 28th August 2016, 23:14   #277
Senior - BHPian

I have always heard that the big 4 - Amazon/Facebook/Google/Microsoft offer astronomical salaries/packages. Recently, heard one colleague got a package for 1 crore including stocks (80L without stocks) from Amazon for a Senior Product manager role. I did not know his current salary exactly but that would have been in the range of 45-50L.
I still found it hard to believe but now I have seen someone very close being offered something similar in Amazon, I tend to believe him.

Now, I don't know why these companies pay so much. And these huge salaries comes at what cost? Sometimes, I wonder what should one do even if you get such an offer. And mind you, these are not some small companies funded by some VC incurring losses. These are the most successful companies in the world and highly profitable.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 00:34   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, I don't know why these companies pay so much. And these huge salaries comes at what cost?
I have explained this long ago in the very same thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3805937
Old 29th August 2016, 09:44   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the link .. but I wonder if that is the entire story.

Is it just these companies pay a lot more because they want to same work done by less number of people? I don't think so.

In my experience (spanning over 15 years), I would like to have 1 smart person in my team rather than 2 average people. I have seen smart people are able to come up with innovative solutions and the quality of work is way better leading to getting this right in the 1st attempt itself rather than reworking and fixing issues. Also, they are able to think bigger and wider which means you have less chance of some requirement slipping through during development. So, probably these companies are paying more for hiring smarter people due to this reason and that does not mean people in these companies have no work-life balance.

My classmates in Microsoft have superb work-life balance and most of the times they get to spend more time with family than me. They have periods of crazy workload though but those are few and far between. Amazon is a different story from what I have heard and it seems that they are really trying to get more done from less number of people leading to long working hours, continuous pressure and totally screwed up work life balance
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 09:48   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it just these companies pay a lot more because they want to same work done by less number of people? I don't think so.
Is that what you understood from my article? Note to myself, need to improve my articulation.
Old 29th August 2016, 09:54   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not true if you are in niche fields. The 2x-3x experience in number of lacs doesn't make any sense if you work in a niche field where talent is hard to come by - especially if the tech is really hot right now and there is basic/applied research required in the field.

The compensation can be fantastic (read 10-12x including stock) and you work 9-5 most days with great work life balance. Many of the larger MNCs value your time and also give you enough leeway to spend time with your family.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 10:09   #282
Team-BHP Support

I don't know what to say, I article is about something else all together. To explain using a metaphor, after reading my article on WW-II, folks are telling me I am wrong about Viet Cong or Saddam Hussein.
Old 29th August 2016, 10:15   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know what to say, I article is about something else all together. To explain using a metaphor, after reading my article on WW-II, folks are telling me I am wrong about Viet Cong or Saddam Hussein.
Your article was basically about offering lower pay and better work life balance and benefits and that other companies do not offer these. What folks here are trying to say is that great pay and good work life balance are not disjoint sets. Many other companies offer both. You can have both if you have the right skills and work in the right place.

You don't have to sacrifice either and that your premise of high pay not offering a good work-life balance is false.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 29th August 2016 at 10:16.
Old 29th August 2016, 10:38   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Your article was basically about offering lower pay and better work life balance and benefits and that other companies do not offer these.
But applicable to who?

The article is trying to answer the question "Why some companies pay high to smart people for doing mundane jobs". (WW-II)

And you are telling me that companies do have to pay very high in niche field where talent is hard. (Viet Cong)

These are two very different things. A web developer doesn't look at a guy doing core research and envy his salary. He looks at a guy doing the web development in another company while getting paid lot more.
Old 29th August 2016, 10:45   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But applicable to who?

The article is trying to answer the question "Why some companies pay high to smart people for doing mundane jobs". (WW-II)

And you are telling me that companies do have to pay very high in niche field where talent is hard. (Viet Cong)

These are two very different things. A web developer doesn't look at a guy doing core research and envy his salary. He looks at a guy doing the web development in another company while getting paid lot more.
Agree with you on that for mundane jobs - however if someone really wants to spend his entire life being a web developer and not move up the food chain, well I really pity him/her .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks