Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2023, 08:41   #631
BHPian

Re: IT industry salary survey

Use chatgpt for the below:

1. Mention your projects and work areas with prompts and chatgpt would provide you with relevant pointers
2. Mention your achievements to chatgpt and it shall chutn out amazing statements for the resume
3. If you still are not satisfied with Naukri, use novoresume, resume.io at a fraction of a cost.
4. Try some new courses to gauge your interests after a decade and then decide which path you would like to tread.
5. PM me for any help

I assume you are in your mind 30s and this is the best time to be aggressive. Another 7 years and the aggression tapers down, that's when you should think of settling down in a more cushier role.

All the best
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 08:42   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'd suggest working on it yourself, these resume writing services aren't any good. What their USP was has easily been covered by free online resume templates and ChatGPT's summarizing/rewriting abilities. You'll get a much better result if you work on your resume yourself.
Recruiters now have tools which can identify if the resume was written using AI. Please be careful as you may lose the opportunity.
vinaydatla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:01   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydatla View Post
Recruiters now have tools which can identify if the resume was written using AI. Please be careful as you may lose the opportunity.
Great point, thank you!

I should have clarified- I meant use ChatGPT to help with the resume, such as to summarize the points that one has written themselves first. Not to write the whole resume.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:13   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Average salary of an IT Project Manager
Part 2:
I have just recently started to look out for jobs and have enrolled for resume writing services of Naukri. As always, they are pushing for the "entire package" for better job prospects. The cost is Rs. 14,000/- for the package for 3 months. Is it worth going for the package as I am genuinely looking for an opportunity. Probably if I have something in hand, I can negotiate with my current employer to match the salary as I am in a comfort zone and proved my work to senior leadership.
I totally get the conundrum you are facing. While I am not from IT industry or the same skill set as yours, going through the hurdles of job search is not the most fun activity. More so in the current scenario.

I had been running my own advisory practice for 4 years and last year I decided to explore full time roles. Lot of frustrations along the way, but I finally managed to secure 3 good offers in June 2023 and joined an organisation in July. The whole experience had its own learning curve. Few points that helped me (may sound cliched, but it's true):

1. Best is to apply via your network. Each role these days are inundated with applications. When an employee does a referral, in most cases your application will be viewed by the HR. That's first battle won.

2. Naukri's package is a waste of money. Take the most basic resume template (https://resumeworded.com/resume-examples) and go with that. The fancier you try to make your CV with images etc. the higher the chances that company's cv screener won't be able to read it.

3. Making your own CV would also help you prepare with talking points during your interview. In a way, it reinforces your achievements in your head and builds a solid ground for practice.

4. Curate your CV for each role you apply for. Since each advertised role is inundated with applications, your CV won't be even viewed if you don't rank at the top in their recruitment portal. This happens through keywords in the job description. Use tools like https://resumeworded.com/ to curate your CV with keywords in the JD and first see on Resume Worded how your CV ranks before making the final submission. Keep updating/paraphrasing your CV until it is above 85% match to the JD.

5. To do this, I created a separate sheet with bullet points with all my achievements across different roles in last 12-13 years. Based on the role, I would pick bullet points from that sheet to match JD. Not all your achievements are relevant to one role. This would be extremely handy if you have not updated your CV in last few years. You first need to understand the value you have added to your organisation, also a good practice for interviews. Writing improves recall and structure for presentation.

6. Focus on your achievement only in the CV and not description of your day-to-day job.

7. Last but not the least, have patience. When you do land up an interview, do not sound/look desperate. This is a mistake that I made in my initial interviews. I only landed up offers when I decided I will give my best shot, but it's not a make or break situation. If you feel the desperation, it would show up during your interviews.

Hope this helps.
KaartooS is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:57   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaartooS View Post
I totally get the conundrum you are facing. While I am not from IT industry or the same skill set as yours, going through the hurdles of job search is not the most fun activity. More so in the current scenario.

I had been running my own advisory practice for 4 years and last year I decided to explore full time roles. Lot of frustrations along the way, but I finally managed to secure 3 good offers in June 2023 and joined an organisation in July. The whole experience had its own learning curve. Few points that helped me (may sound cliched, but it's true):Hope this helps.
I am compelled to write this brief sentence as merely thanking you on this post wasn't sufficient. Brilliantly written and I am sure many will find this useful!
It is easy to underestimate how much of the shortlisting process is now run by software and how easy it is for a good profile to remain buried under tons of resumes.
hothatchaway is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:59   #636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
And you think data from jobs posted on naukri have more reliable data ? Majority of jobs dont have a salary mentioned.
Do you think candidates will under-quote their current salaries, or shy away from mentioning their current high salaries? Naukri is the oldest and the biggest job portal in India. We can't trust their numbers?

Quote:
From anecdotal/personal experience, if at 10 years you're getting paid 12-18 lpa for being full stack developer, you're literally worst of the worst in terms of skills.
Only those who are stuck in their 1st job and never switched (mostly waiting since years for onsite) are the ones earning very low
You need to understand the IT industry at the bird's eye level while commenting on median salary or what kind of skills are most needed.

Why are you denigrating low skill jobs? They are the meat of the industry, India is a software powerhouse because of abundant low skill workers it can offer. Confused? Read this post first.

Secondly, how many high skilled engineers do we need and how many are there? The Ken tried to answer this last year, and I strongly disagreed with them in this post. They said there are only 10000 engineers in India worth hiring. Keep in mind that IT industry employs 28 lakh folks, not including ITES/BPO crowd. So Ken was saying only 10000 are good.

Let me quote some content relevant to current discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Next let's address the quantity vs quality issue. If you are a technology provider, then you will need much higher quality engineers compared technology enabled company. FANGMA are all primarily technology providing companies, while most startups are technology enabled companies. Most startups do B2C services and are not technology companies. And even within each company you don't need all engineers to be of high quality. There could be 10 times talent difference between the guy who designs an algorithm vs the guy who builds a web page. Therefore, no company really needs all their engineers to be great or good. Most of the work in IT is really very mundane, boring and clerical. Putting very good engineers on mundane work is a waste. However, cash rich companies often do this.

If you need engineers in large numbers, the 68–95–99.7 rule becomes applicable. If you need 1000 engineers, mere 3 need to be geniuses, 50 of them to be very good to good, 267 to be above average and the rest can be average to below average. These number may vary a bit across different companies, but the rule holds good in general.

Therefore, when someone just invents a 10000 engineer rule out of thin air, without any domain knowledge, we don't have to give any importance to it. That's not analysis, and it gives no insight.
Let's say it is 10 times better, maybe we have 1 lakh good engineers. What about the remaining 27 lakhs? When we talk about median salary, are we talking within the 1 lakh or across the entire 28 lakhs? Or within the 10000 that Ken is talking about?
Samurai is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:11   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
There is a chart that compares GCC, Unicorn and companies similar to TCS :
There has been a drastic change in the compensation scenario recently with the US rate hikes. Free money is no longer available. Hence tamper down your salary expectations especially on the higher side. Over exuberant salary demand is sure way of getting ghosted by the recruiters in spite of a great resume and/or interview performance.
Old 8th November 2023, 12:20   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Do you think candidates will under-quote their current salaries, or shy away from mentioning their current high salaries? Naukri is the oldest and the biggest job portal in India. We can't trust their numbers?
The source you mentioned says it's from job postings, not candidate profiles. Most job postings don't have a salary range associated in them. In my experience even if it's mentioned, companies are willing to cross it if required.

Quote:
You need to understand the IT industry at the bird's eye level while commenting on median salary or what kind of skills are most needed.

Why are you denigrating low skill jobs? They are the meat of the industry, India is a software powerhouse because of abundant low skill workers it can offer.
Not denigrating, just saying 12-18 lpa for a 10 years experience guy is like bottom 5-10 percentile, not close to median
Burgman_tales is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 13:21   #639
BHPian

Quote:
.....From anecdotal/personal experience, if at 10 years you're getting paid 12-18 lpa for being full stack developer, you're literally worst of the worst in terms of skills
I used to have exact same thought! But then there are lot of things at play here than we assume. So, saying they are worst of worst is too harsh. Might be applicable for some, but few of them are simply not aware of their worth or too acclimated with their comfort zone.

I personally interacted with a lot of them(I switched 10+ companies) and came to know most of them are very good at what they do but too chickened out to go out because that would hamper their comfort zone or need relocation which they are not willing to. In fact, few of them simply said why I need more money when I am happy with what I have. So, they are not worst in their work.

And then there is the other set, which is simply not par or worse than others and they knew it. So, they would stick with the company and get whatever the company is paying them. I have seen 13+ and above getting salary like 8-12lpa and still working the same firm for too long.

Quote:
Only those who are stuck in their 1st job and never switched (mostly waiting since years for onsite) are the ones earning very low
Agreed with this!
xcentrk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 13:24   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
I used to have exact same thought! But then there are lot of things at play here than we assume. So, saying they are worst of worst is too harsh. Might be applicable for some, but few of them are simply not aware of their worth or too acclimated with their comfort zone.

I personally interacted with a lot of them(I switched 10+ companies) and came to know most of them are very good at what they do but too chickened out to go out because that would hamper their comfort zone or need relocation which they are not willing to. In fact, few of them simply said why I need more money when I am happy with what I have. So, they are not worst in their work.

Yes I was being too harsh having worked with few such people where their work was getting dumped on me. But yeah my statement is more for an scenario where opportunities are available. In smaller cities where there are only 2-3 witch companies, people wanting to stay at home and such in comfort zone don't/can't usually switch jobs

Last edited by Burgman_tales : 8th November 2023 at 13:25.
Burgman_tales is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 14:11   #641
BHPian

Quote:

You are talking through your hat. Not everyone has to change companies to make more money or grow in their career. There are also still people in this world for whom loyalty is part of their values. Loyalty may not always be to the company. It can also be to their colleagues, mentors or supervisors.

Last edited by Theyota : 8th November 2023 at 14:20.
Theyota is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 14:13   #642
BHPian

Quote:
....But yeah my statement is more for an scenario where opportunities are available....
In this case, yeah they are indeed worst.

I have faced lot of issues with such resources who can't even do basic things and eventually the task landed on my lap. IT-Services company has this stupid way of appreciating hard working employee. Give him more work and less hike. If someone else not able to finish his task, give it to the one who is already over-worked and make him more stressed. Once he put his papers, wonder why he did so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
You are talking through your hat. Not everyone has to change companies to make more money or grow in their career. There are also still people in this world for whom loyality is part of their values.
The context here is about median salary and we are not discussing about the people who stick to company out of their loyalty. I have seen many who stick with their company and earn handsome money. So, they are out of this discussion I presume.

Last edited by xcentrk : 8th November 2023 at 14:15.
xcentrk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 16:05   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Average salary of an IT Project Manager
Part 1:
Looking for some inputs on the average salary of an IT

Q. What is the average salary package (a range) for an MBA grad with 10 years of experience in SAP business unit working as a Project Manager?

Is moving from an IT service company to a product company makes sense? I know the con would be no onsite but in return the work pressure shall be less, product companies pay more and there is job stability too.

Even if the average pay of a project manager is say 50 lpa, what would matter more is what is your current CTC. The hiring managers would always try to take advantage on either side to lower their hiring costs. If you are above average in terms of payscale, they will quote the average pay and if you are way below they will say the max we can pay is X times your current CTC as a part of their hiring policy.
AirbusCapt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 18:08   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
You are talking through your hat. Not everyone has to change companies to make more money or grow in their career. There are also still people in this world for whom loyalty is part of their values. Loyalty may not always be to the company. It can also be to their colleagues, mentors or supervisors.
Thank you Theyota for often being the voice of sanity and a wider perspective on the IT/WFH etc type of threads. :-) I guess the nature of these threads is such that only those upset and angry will write in giving a skewed picture. Your posts bring a much needed reminder that there is another side to the picture too. Many posts on these threads remind me of unions I dealt with in earlier times - always blaming, always dissatisfied no matter what they got and never exercising agency that the employee took the job after understanding the emoluments, the career prospects and working hours! My experience has been that the cribbers and grumblers in their 20s tend to plateau out before 40 - they are wasting so much energy whining and blaming others that they have less time and inclination to build their EQ, their network, and their competencies. Boss issues, unfair employers, over demanding customers, over work, office politics - these are par for the course - they are everywhere in profession, in business, in Government and so on. Nothing unique to the IT industry. In fact employment in the IT industry is a protected one - even at middle management you don't deal with unions or petty Govt officials or SME suppliers. There is no field duty in the sun and dust of India, no touring remote towns and factories. I could go on. If after having a relatively cushy job albeit with its own professional challenges one has to crib all day it tells me the skill to cope and still pull forward is weak.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 8th November 2023 at 18:25.
V.Narayan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 19:53   #645
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
what would matter more is what is your current CTC.
+1.

The remuneration nowadays are mostly decided based on the current CTC of employee. Gone are the days when there is a clear definition of role/designations/hierarchy and the salary attached to that (this is still prevalent in Govt. Jobs).

What matters is what you earn today, How they perceive your skills and how dire is the need of the hiring manager at that point of time.
UD17 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks