Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 16:03   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Dream companies again represent less than 10% of the total pool. Obviously they can't make a dent in the real averages.
Agree with you here, but the misery lies in the fact that IIMs and many other top institutes distract the public by highlighting the dream companies and dream packages as something which 'everyone' gets. Thats not true. Majority (80%+) graduates get average salaries, even after passing out from top B Schools.

Quote:
Ok, I am an oldtimer. But I don't think this is the right approach to take considering the long time career needs. After 8 years, joining MBA is a very good idea, it is the right time, I did after 11 years experience. And I am very against the idea of MBA without work experience. In my opinion it almost destroys your ethics. One needs the maturity and experience that comes from few years of working before you take on MBA. It is really bad that in India most colleges accept MBA students without experience. I am not really inviting a debate here, that's the opinion I formed during my MBA studies. Later I found that my opinion was shared by many when I read this book: Amazon.com: Snapshots from Hell: Books: Peter Robinson
Agree whole heartedly with you here. I did my MBA after 3 years of work ex and found it extremely useful. Maybe the only regret is that I should have done it after 2-3 more years of work ex, to extract 'maximum' value from it (more so, since my MBA was 100% case based pedagogy)
Old 4th February 2008, 16:05   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok, I am an oldtimer. But I don't think this is the right approach to take considering the long time career needs. After 8 years, joining MBA is a very good idea, it is the right time, I did after 11 years experience. And I am very against the idea of MBA without work experience. In my opinion it almost destroys your ethics. One needs the maturity and experience that comes from few years of working before you take on MBA. It is really bad that in India most colleges accept MBA students without experience. I am not really inviting a debate here, that's the opinion I formed during my MBA studies. Later I found that my opinion was shared by many when I read this book: Amazon.com: Snapshots from Hell: Books: Peter Robinson

In your case however, timing is right, you have enough experience to withstand the desensitization process. But don't just do it more money. If you are hoping to change your career with this, check what are the career options, do you want to get into marketing, finance, management, etc. If you just go with whichever pays higher, you might end up being a very highly paid miserable man. You may have that BMW which you don't have time to drive. Don't trade in your weekends and holidays in the process. It ain't worth the money.
Its not the money, its career growth. I think I am about to hit the "glass ceiling".
I will never be accepted in a leadership role unless I have a MBA role. I know there are exceptions, but most leaders I have seen in my 8 years have MBA degrees.

If I keep working like this for next 5 years it will lead to disillusionment.
When I had 3 years experience, I was a core techie at heart, and my goal was to do MS and then a PHd in signal processing.
But as I moved to a role which was very less technical than before I realized I would love a job like marketing/business strategy etc., rather than the core technical work.

As for the money thats important too, but definitely not at the expense of fun I am having now.
Thats why I would not go into investor relations etc., kind of job unless I had no choice.
However managing a team doing techinical stuff really holds my interest, and if I stay in the industry for 5 more years, I can get that probably, but with an MBA that goal can be reached earlier.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2008, 16:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nobody answered my question.
What is the average salary for a MBA who passes out of a good institute.
Pre MBA experience in software industry is around 8 years.
Post MBA salaries depend completely on the 'quality, brand name and relevance' of your pre-MBA work ex. e.g. if you were in banking pre MBA and want to continue in the same industry post MBA, you can expect better salary and greater demand for yourself, especially in international markets and financial hubs (e.g. Singapore).

However, many recruiters perceive MBA as 'career enhancement' program. Surveys have shown that Engineers typically pursue MBA to 'shift' their career towards marketing/finance etc. In such cases, your quality and brand name of pre-MBA work ex assumes greater importance than relevance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its not the money, its career growth. I think I am about to hit the "glass ceiling".
I will never be accepted in a leadership role unless I have a MBA role. I know there are exceptions, but most leaders I have seen in my 8 years have MBA degrees.

I can get that probably, but with an MBA that goal can be reached earlier.
Yes this is very much true. An MBA takes you further on the ladder in lesser time.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th February 2008 at 22:21.
Old 4th February 2008, 16:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I am an oldtimer. But I don't think this is the right approach to take considering the long time career needs. After 8 years, joining MBA is a very good idea, it is the right time, I did after 11 years experience. And I am very against the idea of MBA without work experience. In my opinion it almost destroys your ethics. One needs the maturity and experience that comes from few years of working before you take on MBA. It is really bad that in India most colleges accept MBA students without experience. I am not really inviting a debate here, that's the opinion I formed during my MBA studies.
Exactly my thoughts. Conversely, I also feel you shouldn't become a manager by rote. Many middle managers in IT industry are former programmers/developers who lack even the most basic skills required of a manager, And they hanker after that "manager" position just because it pays more.

Anyway, I am going seriously off topic here.
Old 4th February 2008, 16:41   #80
BANNED

In the current market, the most impossible task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Conversely, I also feel you shouldn't become a manager by rote. Many middle managers in IT industry are former programmers/developers who lack even the most basic skills required of a manager, And they hanker after that "manager" position just because it pays more.
Old 4th February 2008, 16:46   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I am not clear about this post. Is this an answer to Tanveer's question? What do the companies expect in return for so much money? Sorry, as an employer I think from ROI POV. Say at least 2-5 crores in return, if they don't generate that revenue, what happens?
Hmm.It seems I used quick reply instead of quoting Tanveer's question.Apologies for same.

Believe me even after gaving such whooping salary the IT companies have profit.It is a balance they are making.The freshers +1-3 exp guys are not paid very high and much of it goes to seniors pocket.Even if you have a drag in salary growth in middle managment the growth on senior level break most of the natural curves that can be plotted.

I am working on a project which is going to generate 10 billion USD in 10 years.So you can guess the money involved and why they can pay
Old 4th February 2008, 16:55   #82
BHPian

One more note on Managers.From my point of having having MBA in IT is not a Big advantage.
If you have MBA from a good B-schools it helps.
Your growth in company is 80% guided by your performance.A person may grow fast in ladder even with out MBA.I have seen it.
But if you want to get good salary hike + ladder growth what I would suggest is update your skill to meet market niche skill set and change company with role change + good hike......... Bargain!
Old 4th February 2008, 17:58   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I think this is referred to as Compression.

A source of a major headache for all companies as the new joinee will be earning either the same or a little more than someone with exactly the same education + 1 year experience.
After 1 year, a person in IT industry is only making like 2-3k more per month than what he was paid when he joined?
Old 4th February 2008, 18:20   #84
Senior - BHPian

2 more strategies

I happen to know 2 more strategies not listed in this Thread to have more hike.
1) If both husband and wife are working. One of the two switches jobs often.
2) This is funny, I know people around me who don't care about pay day, as they are heavy duty stock traders offline...yes in IT.
Old 4th February 2008, 18:39   #85
BHPian

MBA is never a requirement for going up corporate ladder.

BUT, in many companies, you'll find that instead of promoting someone (non MBA) to a senior (eg. business development manager etc.) role, they hire laterally an MBA guy to that position directly.

To work in IT, one doesn't really need an engineering degree, but life becomes easier if you have one.

If someone is extremely competent (eg. Bill Gates ) he doesn't need anything - for the rest of us, having a relevant degree + experience is a good negotiation tool.
Old 15th July 2008, 20:25   #86
BANNED

Each company pays according to its standards. Market forces might influence them. But there are few companies pay well above the market rate - at the price they value teh skills. Let us list those companies and the location, so that it benefits us in case we are looking for a change. Basically to join these company and stop worrying about pay (since its one of the best) and concentrate on other things.

Few from my side:

Google - Bangalore
Yahoo - Bangalore
Microsoft - Hyderabad
VMware - Bangalore
Kyocera - Bangalore

...(will add to the list)
diabloo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2008, 20:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

^^There's Microsoft in Bangalore as well.
Old 15th July 2008, 20:42   #88
BANNED

But isn't it only for Research, where you need a PHD to apply?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^There's Microsoft in Bangalore as well.
Old 15th July 2008, 20:46   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
BUT, in many companies, you'll find that instead of promoting someone (non MBA) to a senior (eg. business development manager etc.) role, they hire laterally an MBA guy to that position directly.
I agree with you totally. In one of the organizations I have worked for in the past, didn't consider the fact that I am in my last leg of MBA and was the perfect fit for a higher role which they were looking at filling. Though I perfectly fitted the bill with respect to the edu (degree) qualifications, I was not considered as I didn't have an MBA degree despite having more exp. Any how, I feel it is a company's loss as I know it for sure that new person does not have any work and is just enjoying the money that is credited to the salary account. And I have resigned!
Old 15th July 2008, 20:50   #90
Senior - BHPian

what about the list of high paying Companies in NCR ?

Thinking about switching the job these days.

Most Viewed