Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 12:46   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

might work actually - considering that the Chinese attach a great deal of importance to the concept of "loss of face"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Nopes, won't work at all. An international effort to embarrass the chinese would probably work. Big banners saying "China, your superstitions are decimating our wildlife, shame on you!"
Old 8th February 2010, 13:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
The best would be to increase the awareness and write to your respective forest ministries letters of public support. Also we have to make sure the government does more then offer lip service to forests and wildlife. Corporate help is welcome and fine if they don't make it self promotional. Aircel is airing a good Ad but the site asks for signup with phone number which could be used for marketing their offers.

You can instead write to the project tiger govt initiative- Home Page-Project Tiger
We have so many members with wrong asssumptions. First of all it is not a aircel campaign. It is a campaign from WWF-India. This campaign started in 2007. Nobody gave a heed to this at that time because there was no sponcer. Arent we indians like that? Untill something is shoved into our faces, we dont awake. Now we are taking an excuse saying that it is ploy to build a brand image. Cant you think for a second that what if it is a true campaign? You still got away from this thinking that it was some marketing plan.

ZAKS, Another misconception, you dont have to give your phone number still you can register.

The problem with us indian is that we tend to reach the outcome without even try.

I want to ask just one thing from my fellow bhpians. What do you loose in even trying to register even if it is futile? When will learn to at-least try to do something even it looks lame.

We have the same attitude on the road. We scream at this site about people not following traffic rules. Have we tried small things from our side. Is'nt it our attitude that what will happen if I try. Other people will not learn.

I am not amazed to see the same kind of response even for this issue. Even if this campaign fails tomorrow (I pray to god, it does not) I will have the satisfaction that at least I tried whatever I could. What about the people who are thinking that it is a fake campaign? They would be telling their kids tomorrow by showing the picture of the tiger saying 'Son, it was our national animal who was extinct few years ago because of negligence of us indians." You dont have a right to say that about "indians". You are the first person who did not even try to do a small thing like registering on a website.

I have already said that in india we still think that these online petition's are useless but they have worked everywhere. What is the loss in even in trying. I will give you few examples of success of these petitions.

1. Commercial fishing in all marine parks in Hong Kong was banned.
2. An ambitious proposal has now been put forward by the Scottish Government which includes a target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050.
3. The New Zealand government has announced vital new protection measures for the dolphins that will halt their decline.
4. In a major victory for conservation, raising captive tigers for trade in their parts was rejected by members of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) meeting in The Hague in June 2007.

These are just a few that I have listed. If you want to know more about it, go to this website: WWF Passport - Our successes

People we have a lot to loose if we dont do anything. Atleast we could support this cause by signing the campaign.

Last edited by Atul-C : 8th February 2010 at 13:18.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Come on guys we need to increase the numbers by leaps and bounds come on.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:05   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post

ZAKS, Another misconception, you dont have to give your phone number still you can register.

People we have a lot to loose if we dont do anything. Atleast we could support this cause by signing the campaign.
Signed up, sent the link to all in my office.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Signed up, sent the link to all in my office.
Thank ZAKS, I am sure that you sending link to your colleagues will bring many people in support of this campaign.

Fellow BHPIANs, this is what I am talking about. We are not losing anything by joining the campaign and asking others to join. But if this campaign is a success than we surly will have a grand prize. We will have our national animal the TIGER saved. We have lost so many of our heritage already due to our negligence. Lets start saving rest from this point on.

Who knows this kind of success may open the gates to solve many many issues that have not been acted upon till now.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
We have so many members with wrong asssumptions. First of all it is not a aircel campaign. It is a campaign from WWF-India. This campaign started in 2007. Nobody gave a heed to this at that time because there was no sponcer. Arent we indians like that? Untill something is shoved into our faces, we dont awake. Now we are taking an excuse saying that it is ploy to build a brand image. Cant you think for a second that what if it is a true campaign? You still got away from this thinking that it was some marketing plan............
. Let us look at certain assumptions here. Even if Aircell is trying to build its brand image based on the 'Save our Tigers' campaign and if it has succeeded, don't you guys think it has generated enough awareness about the situation?? If Aircell is making money out of this campaign, don't you think it has succeeded in printing 'Save our Tigers' in the minds of the people.

My understanding of the campaign is to generate awareness among people in India about the terrible situation the Tigers are caught in. Only if people are aware of the seriousness of the situation, will they act. This is atleast a small way to increase awareness. If some company is making money because of this, let it do so. Atleast the cause is getting highlighted.

Who knows, maybe the ad & Stripey the cub have inspired at least a few people. That will be success.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Aircell & FYI, I use Vodafone
Old 8th February 2010, 16:58   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
We have 1411 tigers in India. They are poached, killed, skinned, made to perform in circuses, kept as pets in farmhouses of the rich and powerful, have their habitat rampantly destroyed by roads and cities, and act as mascots in various fund-raising campaigns. So what do these campaigns tell us to do? Blog, SMS, spread the word, at most create toothless laws that would never be implemented. And keep hoping. That's all a nation of 1.15 billion people can do, could do over the last 20 years.

Yet, just a little eastwards is a country that is about one-sixth the size of India, with about 6% of the Indian population, which performed a turnaround in tiger conservation over the last two decades.

2000 Tigers Possible In Thailand, Study Says

Opens our eyes wide.
Agree completely

Quote:
I want to ask just one thing from my fellow bhpians. What do you loose in even trying to register even if it is futile?
Agree as much - signing up now
Old 8th February 2010, 18:03   #53
BHPian

i signed up !! common Guys ...
Old 8th February 2010, 19:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
. Let us look at certain assumptions here. Even if Aircell is trying to build its brand image based on the 'Save our Tigers' campaign and if it has succeeded, don't you guys think it has generated enough awareness about the situation?? If Aircell is making money out of this campaign, don't you think it has succeeded in printing 'Save our Tigers' in the minds of the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
Agree completely

Agree as much - signing up now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanth_mk View Post
i signed up !! common Guys ...

Thank you Guys.

Quoting addyhemmige, what he said was right. Even if some company is making money out of it, still it does not fade the seriousness of the issue. Rightnow the need is to talk about this serious issue and spread the awareness. People should know about it. Govt. will only take action when it will realize that more and more people are becoming aware of the failure of our past governments about the Project TIGER which was launched when Indira Gandhi was the PM of india. More than 20 years and see what is the condition of our national pride, our national animal. Trust me, these online petition have worked in other countries. Let's make it work in India too. The plea from Stripey the Cub will definitly be heard.

Last edited by Atul-C : 8th February 2010 at 19:52.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:02   #55
BHPian

Come on Guys. Do we community members have only this much of enthusiasm for Environmental issues. It is not just an issue for our environment. It is also affecting our heritage. What message are we going to send to the world? Indians are so weak that they cant even protect their heritage, their National Symbol.

I was expecting this thread to be the voice of Team-BHP.I was expecting my bhpian friends to visit this thread more often and drop a line or two to keep this thread alive so that it spreads more and more awareness by staying at the top in 'Shifting gears' section.

Please remember that while visiting if you just drop a line to say that 'You agree to this campaign' will keep this thread on top so that whoever is visiting this section will see it at the top. That will help us spreading more awareness.

There were 407 views till now. I hope I convinced at least a few to join the campaign. Now it's your turn to add more strength to this campaign.

Last edited by Atul-C : 9th February 2010 at 12:07.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Instead of signing up and all this campaign stuff, I plead for lesser posts, and more donation.

Directly to organizations like Tiger Watch - Tiger India - Wildlife - Ranthambhore - Rajasthan - Ranthambore
/I will visit them soon and personally donate myself!
Old 9th February 2010, 13:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Instead of signing up and all this campaign stuff, I plead for lesser posts, and more donation.

Directly to organizations like Tiger Watch - Tiger India - Wildlife - Ranthambhore - Rajasthan - Ranthambore
Does all the money donated go towards the cause of tigers or does around 40% of the donated money go towards administrative expenses like in case of most NGO's/foundations?
Old 9th February 2010, 14:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

That how can ANYONE honestly ever tell you my friend?

Their credentials and work impact is however impeccable. Rest is all good faith, no?
Old 9th February 2010, 14:10   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

I agree with you. But how would ask people to donate without making them aware of it?

You could not ask poeple to donate here if I had not started this thread. I would have not started this thread if I was not made aware of it. So it all starts by spreading the awareness. That is what happening by this campaign. This campaign was started in 2007 without any sponcer. It was not even shown on TV apart from a section on NDTV once. SO spreading awareness is important.

People have started coming together for this campaign. Please read this. It has a chat lingo because it was discussed in chat. Please do not flame me for this as I am pasting it as it is.

"Hey guys, Delhi, Mumbai and Pune have alread got ball rolling and lots
has been worked upon for the coming up event on 14th feb at our
respective cities.. from taking police permission in delhi to taking
zoo authority+ muncipal corporation permission for Pune (cos in pune we
r hosting d event at the zoo where we hav 7 tigers)... now d hitch is
dat we hav asked for support frm d very group (aircel) dats hosting dis
page.. which is d reason we, unknown strangers/ animal lovers who hav
never met b4.. have connected wid each other.. they sound excited n
hopefully will lend us their support (they probably shud cos it's their
campaign we're taking forward.. but incase they dont.. we r gonna go
ahead anyways for which we'll need all ur support... so be there in ur
respectiv cities on dat day n get in tuch wid us if u wanna volunteer..
so com on n lets roar fr d cuase!!"
Old 9th February 2010, 14:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Signed up for the cause. I don't know how this campaign will help but the Govt. need to wake up from it's sleep to have some stringent measures to stop this poaching of Tigers and save them.
And nothing is impossible and in this vary India itself there is a success story. It's the story about Kaziranga NP and it's one horned rhino population. From merely around 20 rhinos in 1905, it has now reached 1800+ and still growing. There is still poaching going on there but this has decreased to a great extent due to the relentless effort by the Forrest officials and other conversationalist. All it needed was a good governance of the Forrest and dedication from the people related to the job. So why can't the same be done for the Tigers population? We still can save the tiger and we will.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks