Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 15:22   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I will later tell you how if you need to - work towards wildlife conservation. This is based upon talking to a person who is into wildlife conservation for 50 years. I had interacted with him after his expose on how some villagers in Goa killed a tiger with a trap layed for wild boar and how the following political cover up started. He was instrumental in getting it onto the headlines and now the people who killed the tiger are in jail.
Spitfire,

Do share the details about this gentleman. The world needs to know about unsung heroes like him.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:33   #77
BHPian

@spitfire, I appreciate you in throwing some light on this. in my opinion every journey starts with first steps. It is good to at least see some people gather to work on something for which they dont even have the clue. At least there is a will to do something. I also know that not even 10% of the population that gathered to discuss about this in forum will remain there for a long time. But the people who will remain will have a conservationist in them that will go for a long distance. That is how I perceive the things.

@promod: It is really turning into fun to see the opinions I see here. Darwin was also pulled into it. Poor fellow Darwin never knew that there could be a specie which could kill another specie or rather exterminate it just for fun. His study and theory is about basic survival necessities that make one specie kill another one, like for food, for shelter. There is no another specie than humans in the history of earth that was was responsible for the extinction of so many specie in as short lifespan as humans. "Survival of the fittest" is not about one specie exterminating the other when food and shelter is not at all concerned. I am not here to fight anyone or to prove someone wrong. I am just here to show my concerns and if someone connects with my thought, it is good. If someone doesn't, it is ok. We may not even face the consequences but future generations will certainly do. With this I am resting my case here.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:35   #78
BHPian

Gents,

Though Some how I agree that what Aircel is doing is also helping them publicise but who is not trying to gain milage, say for eg Aman ki Asha by TOI & Jung group. However we as responsible people should not rather focus on negetive & whats wrong always, What we should do is to work upon How we can improve the current situation. To add to it I would love to have some ideas which I can do in my limits to ensure we save our national animals.
I agree with Spitfire that meeting in a mall & having coffee & exchanging numbers is not going to help. If you can or anybody can provide basics what we can do & add as our bit to save Tigers, we will certainly try to it.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:04   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Spitfire,

Do share the details about this gentleman. The world needs to know about unsung heroes like him.
He advised me not to mention names. But if you want a hint google for - Tiger Killed in Keri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
It is good to at least see some people gather to work on something for which they dont even have the clue.
This is how i look at it. Would you be safe in knowing that you have given the life of a dying man in the hands of a unqualified person? Here dying man is the tiger.

And none of us are qualified.

Quote:
At least there is a will to do something.
Will of how many? An individual? A society or a group of professionals who have a life beyond this.

One question? What priority do you give to Tiger Conservation in your Life?

Quote:
But the people who will remain will have a conservationist in them that will go for a long distance.
What you are trying is going to affect the symtoms not the cause.

But again please do not take this negatively. If there is a passion believe me you can alone make this happen. Hope you do well.

I was quite depressed the day I came to know that the last of cheetahs in our country died because he was put on a train to be transported to another sanctuary. The ppor creature could not take the travel over 2 days. This is what you are against....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
what we can do & add as our bit to save Tigers, we will certainly try to it.
Be aware. If you see anyone selling tiger based products. These are the roadside guys who have tiger nails and tiger bone powder with them and who advertise their wares quite openly. Also tiger based oil and others. Report them to wildlife folks.

Report exotic animals put on sale in your local market to the right authorities.

If you come across someone flaunting wild animals on their house, farm etc. Make them understand its not correct. This in itself is tough. But yeah its possible.

Rest depends upon how far you as an individual can take it.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:26   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
Poor fellow Darwin never knew that there could be a specie which could kill another specie or rather exterminate it just for fun.
I couldn't stop laughing when I read this. Because I remembered that Darwin was addicted to hunting (for fun). So he did know about killing for fun, he loved to do it himself. Also, he travelled in a warship (sloop of war to be exact) during his travels.

Darwin's Passion for Hunting and Killing

The above article was compiled by people who hate his theories, but all are facts with proper references. You can also google for "Charles darwin hunting".

Lots of early day Conservationists were expert hunters, they developed their love for Jungle through hunting. Example, Jim Corbett or our own Kedambady Jattappa Rai. They both killed hundreds of tigers singlehandedly before turning Conservationists. In fact, these guys knew more about conservation even during their hunting days. For example, they would never shoot a female animal since it is necessary for reproduction.

Actually, we do have a member here who does real effort towards conservation. He visits forest camps, distributes jackets to forest guards, tries to help out with their issues, etc. Recently he attended the tiger census camp held by Karnataka government. I told him about this thread, may be he can shed some real information about the current situation.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:46   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I couldn't stop laughing when I read this. Because I remembered that Darwin was addicted to hunting (for fun). So he did know about killing for fun, he loved to do it himself. Also, he travelled in a warship (sloop of war to be exact) during his travels.
@samurai: I knew that some one will bring up this. What I meant was that his theory of survival of the fittest did not include us humans who have the tendency to destroy the very those things which are vital to our very own existence. Very often his theories are used to justify the unnecessary killings.
Old 11th February 2010, 13:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:

Actually, we do have a member here who does real effort towards conservation. He visits forest camps, distributes jackets to forest guards, tries to help out with their issues, etc. Recently he attended the tiger census camp held by Karnataka government. I told him about this thread, may be he can shed some real information about the current situation.
Samurai,

Why don't you invite this person here? I'm sure there would be a lot to learn from him.
Old 16th February 2010, 20:37   #83
BHPian

I just came across this thread and felt that everyone who believes in the Aircel campaign should read and understand this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1734798
Old 18th February 2010, 23:57   #84
BHPian

Hi
1> How far away from these sanctuaries do you propose we move our people who live on the fringes of the forest ?
2> They are villagers,Indians with equal voting rights and garantees as laid out by the constitution.
3> The condecending approach of the erstwhile environmentally barbaric British rule will do nothing for conservation.
4> Conservation is a social issue,our forefathers have lived with these animals in harmony for eons which is why they are here today.
5> Through a mryad of religious rituals,taboos and a very deep understanding of the functioning of the land in it's endeavor to host life they ensured we could see and appreciate god.
6> What we would best do is address the greviances of people whose lives are adversely affected by the animals and help them financially.
7> Conservation can never be 'THEM and US' but a matter of a common problem i.e, one man's food is another man's poison.
8> If anyone has to be moved it is the refugee settlements on the fringes of our forests who pose the gravest threat to our national wealth.
9> To look a wild tiger in the eye whilst afoot,unarmed and defenceless,experiencing every bit of your body wanting to take to flight and the generous gait of a powerful lord of the earth,disturbed,yet tolerant to minor tresspass is what the tiger signifies.He is more human than we can ever be.And which is why there can be no better National animal than the tiger and in failing to save him we fail to save our identity.
Cheers
Jammy

Last edited by MM440 : 19th February 2010 at 00:16.
Old 19th February 2010, 00:06   #85
Team-BHP Support

Jammy,

Most of us here are keyboard conservationists , but you are not. You spend long periods in jungles understanding and helping people who maintain our jungles. I am glad to see you are finally posting something out of your own experiences.
Old 19th February 2010, 00:08   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear Friends,
A million signatures: Desperate exercise.
Faith in our Prime Minister: Futile hope.
In early 70’s our late Prime minister Madame Indira Gandhi showed it could be done and Project Tiger was hailed as a grand success in conservation worldwide.
Today our leadership lacks the political will and direction. They are too busy trying to save themselves than saving the Tiger.
To move a vehicle forward, the engine that drives it has to be working. The appointed head the Tiger conservation group ( picked by our PM) has little knowledge on the subject, while other few with the experience of 30-40 years with Tigers, like Mr. Valmik Thapar are left out.
The signature campaign is a symbolic exercise, which will be on the back burner in the coming week as elections are nearing and the priorities of decision makers lie elsewhere.
What I am writing may sound bitter, face it, this is reality.
There are articles (attached) and reporting I have done regarding the Tiger and it’s habitat here in Andhra Pradesh, which were reported by “The Times of India” and “Etemaad”.
I have not been fortunate as many who have seen Tigers in the wild, except once in the summer of 2006, at Kabini. A moment that lasted not more than 15 seconds and the exhilaration felt at that moment couldn’t be expressed. Will our children be half as lucky?
The rate we are killing/-poaching Tigers is more one per day. We have approximately 1500 Tigers left in the wild, so you can literally count their days and put signs out at the forest or sanctuary entrance, “TIGERS? ALL KILLED!”
As my contribution I also am including a photograph shot by me at the Hyderabad zoo.
Regards,
Fazal
Attachment 106576

Attachment 106577

Well said Fazal bhai ,elsewhere in the forum some had written about rehab of people near forests,well we have lived like that for time immemorial,we as Indians,know better than anyone else in the world about respect for personal space and harmony
1> How far away from these sanctuaries can we move our people who live on the fringes of the forest ?
2> They are villagers,Indians with equal voting rights and garantees as laid out by the constitution.
3> The condecending approach of the erstwhile environmentally barbaric British rule( Game hunting for pleasure??) will do nothing for conservation.
4> Conservation is a social issue,our forefathers have lived with these animals in harmony for eons which is why they are here today.
5> Through a mryad of religious rituals,taboos and a very deep understanding of the functioning of the land in it's endeavor to host life they ensured we could see and appreciate god a d his creations.
6> What we would best do is address the greviances of our people whose lives are adversely affected by the animals and help them financially.
7> Conservation can never be 'THEM and US' but a matter of a common problem i.e, one man's food is another man's poison.
8> If anyone has to be moved it is the refugee settlements on the fringes of our forests who pose the gravest threat to our national wealth.
Cheers
Jammy
Old 19th February 2010, 23:06   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Jammy,

Most of us here are keyboard conservationists , but you are not. You spend long periods in jungles understanding and helping people who maintain our jungles. I am glad to see you are finally posting something out of your own experiences.

Hi Sharath,
That is a very kind of you to say so. I am just trying to figure out where on earth we stand in the present governance of the land and the ends of what we are trying to achieve in terms of conservation.
Maybe we should explore methods of trying to bring out some good to the people who are actually affected adversely while simply trying to go about earning their livelyhoods.
It would be great if we could create a platform which would safe gaurd the interests of our own. I.E the financial losses of our people who live in the fringes of the forests. And thereby nullifying their need to eliminate the animals,that, we who are not hindered by their quest for food so value.
Will call you and once we have a concrete agenda,all of us could by concentrated action bring forth the result we all desire and stem the slaughter of our wildlife to the best of our means.
Cheers
Jammy
Old 21st February 2010, 10:43   #88
BHPian

YouTude Video: A Critical Look at Bandhavgarh National Park, India

Just see the video with audio on.

Old 13th August 2013, 12:55   #89
Team-BHP Support

Re: Save The Tiger

An excellent write up in http://www.sanctuaryasia.com/

http://hyticos.files.wordpress.com/2...e-me-alone.pdf

I am proud to say that the young tiger warrior Asif is colleague and good friend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks