Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 13:42   #151
BHPian

Yes... The beta version is much faster than the older version during peak hours. Also the options are much easier to access. Before one had to mention which class one is gonna travel to get list of trains, but now, just mention the depature and arrival city, you get list of train also with all class availability.

Last edited by Archish : 7th August 2010 at 13:44.
Old 8th August 2010, 07:36   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the 'tatkaal' booking IRCTC has been very convinient.

Tatkaal is a mad rush anyways, the moment it opens, the site refuses to open, displays error messages and by the time it starts to function normally all the seats are gone!

I guess they do not want to upgrade the hardware. Else I don't see why a more competent server cannot be used for the system.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:48   #153
BHPian

Before I had a Broadband connection at work, IRCTC would always deduct money and no ticket issued. Now I rely on NGPay, a moile shopping clent, which emails an IRCTC ticket as .html unlike IRCTC we can print the ticket, just a few minutes of departure whereas we need to print a ticket before chart preparation on IRCTC. I used ITZcash cards before netbanking was offered as an option. IRCTC mobile client is nearly not operable now. A new mobile rail ticket application Atom has also started, currently only being offered on credit cards. Now irctc.co.in can be securely logged thru opera mini 5 mini browser.
Old 2nd November 2010, 08:15   #154
BHPian

try booking tatkal tickets! the site throws error and keeps you out and finally when u get in all the tickets will be gone...this happens most of the days.
The new version is slower than the old, the old one used to hang on tatkal opening timings but this one hangs most of the times.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:30   #155
Senior - BHPian

I would have been happy with the older design website if they'd made it more reliable and faster, instead of making the cosmetic changes.

No doubt IRCTC has made ticketing easier, but the chances of getting a tatkal ticket is next to nil in most cases.

However I would like to quote an exception to this. We had to travel to Kerala on a friday, and a friend of mine and I decided to try Tatkal tickets simultaneously - me from office, through the internet and she would use ngPay from her mobile. This was to ensure that somehow we get the tickets. Both of us got the tickets and we ended up with two sets. One set was later "adjusted" with some of our friends. If there was an option to cancel them, we would've been happy to do so. But the unreasonable cancellation fee prevented us from doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Apart from the 'tatkaal' booking IRCTC has been very convinient.

Tatkaal is a mad rush anyways, the moment it opens, the site refuses to open, displays error messages and by the time it starts to function normally all the seats are gone!

I guess they do not want to upgrade the hardware. Else I don't see why a more competent server cannot be used for the system.
+1 to that. The 2-days period for Tatkal has made things even worse.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:43   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

I found the simplest solution for booking train tickets which is booking it via. Cleartrip.com

Nice, clean and fast. Booked a ticket for mom in 2AC Hyderabad-Delhi-Hyderabad.

Confirmed
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:54   #157
BHPian

I find the updated version of irctc very convenient.

It is much easier to click thru train options and class options radio buttons and get availability information.

It was a pain earlier on by tying in / entering different classes and options multiple times and submitting.

Agree - tatkal booking online is and will be a pain.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:58   #158
BANNED

What is the purpose of the captcha on the page where we have to enter passengers' names?

Will passengers with machine generated names have valid ID proofs? Hun?
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:20   #159
Senior - BHPian

Anyone had issue with money being deducted from account for ticket booking but the ticket being never issued? It happened to me recently(1 week back) and when I contacted the helpline they told me that it'll be refunded. How much time does it take to see the refunds being reflected? I was expecting around a week's time but still not being refunded. Should I be worried or just wait for few more days/week?
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:42   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Anyone had issue with money being deducted from account for ticket booking but the ticket being never issued? It happened to me recently(1 week back) and when I contacted the helpline they told me that it'll be refunded. How much time does it take to see the refunds being reflected? I was expecting around a week's time but still not being refunded. Should I be worried or just wait for few more days/week?

It's happened to me quite a few times. Generally it takes close to 3 days for the refund. I use RBS Netbanking for IRCTC transactions. In one instance, however with ngPay, it took me almost a month. And that too after many calls and e-mails to their customer support. I had used my credit card for that.

In your case, I would advise you to contact IRCTC as well as your bank through the respective customer care centres. Preferably call them up. Make sure you have the transaction ID of the failed transaction.

Last edited by silversteed : 3rd November 2010 at 09:45.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:35   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s
Has happened few times to me. And money is usually credited back to the bank account in 3 days or so. However, since its been a week for you, would not hurt to shoot an email to care@irctc.co.in giving details of the transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed
I use RBS Netbanking for IRCTC transactions.
RBS had zero transaction fees till some 2 weeks ago. Now they charge 10bucks per ticket. I used to use RBS till they started charging - now moved to FedBank, who are free currently - not sure when they start charging.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:42   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I found the simplest solution for booking train tickets which is booking it via. Cleartrip.com
+1; add to that yatra & makemytrip. All said, TN-KL is almost impossible these days be it regular or tatkal. All the seats are booked for atleast 30 days in advance, especially the trains to TVM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Has happened few times to me. And money is usually credited back to the bank account in 3 days or so.
+1; I used to get in 2-3 days & no worries till date. IMO, irctc does a good job here.

Having said, no doubt, its a headache obtaining train ticket these days unless its booked couple of months before; and by the time of date of travel, office pressures to postpone the leave . These days, even the travel agents find it difficult to book a ticket & they do not give any guarantee of a ticket with tatkal scheme, forget about seat preferences.

This is why I choose to drive

Last edited by aargee : 3rd November 2010 at 10:44.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:02   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Nice, clean and fast. Booked a ticket for mom in 2AC Hyderabad-Delhi-Hyderabad.

Confirmed
Thanks a lot Avi for this wonderful information.

I never knew this can be done via Cleartrip.com.

Btw-I am not able to open irctc website since 5-6 weeks..
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:25   #164
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that Indian Railways are hand in gloves with the travel agents. I know that travel agents have a different login as compared to regular users e.g. agent login. They must have paid money to govt officials in charge and hence the dead irctc from 8 till the tatkal tickets.

If that is not the reason then I salute the irctc officials for staying blind to the dead irctc site (dead between 8 till the tickets last).
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:05   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I am sure that Indian Railways are hand in gloves with the travel agents. I know that travel agents have a different login as compared to regular users e.g. agent login. They must have paid money to govt officials in charge and hence the dead irctc from 8 till the tatkal tickets.
I'm pretty sure it is a big scam between the IRCTC guys and the travel agents. I have never been able to book a tatkal ticket early in the morning when the booking opens. By the time, the site opens, the tickets are gone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks