Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 10:40   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Here is my Tatkal booking experience today.

Till 7.54 a.m (irctc site timings)everything works superfast in irctc including quick book.
At 7.55 a.m (irctc site timings) quick option went down and got a message that " Quick book option not available from 8.00a.m to 9.00 a.m"

Gone to the "Plan My Travel" and got a message " Service not available"

At 8.05 a.m all Tatkal seats gone to the Waiting list mode.
Experienced the similar case many times.

08:00:55 - Ticket availability 62
08:01:40 - Availability 23 (After entering the passenger deatils)
08:03:13 - WL41 (After making payment)
But finally got confirmed 2 hours before chart preparation
Old 14th April 2011, 12:02   #212
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Mine was even better.
At 8.00, 48 seats available in 3A.
At 8.01, WL 23.
I was shocked.
I am a seasoned player in this area but frankly I feel that this qualifies for a new record.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:08   #213
Senior - BHPian

They have disabled QuickBook during the 1st hour of Tatkal opening (8 - 9AM) since some time now.

I had received an email forward about a blog-post where someone had used a Firefox add-on to accelerate the booking process (to ensure better hit-rate for Tatkal). Don't remember the details though - never bothered because I have been quite lucky in my attempts.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:47   #214
BHPian

Quote:

Till 7.54 a.m (irctc site timings)everything works superfast in irctc including quick book.
At 7.55 a.m (irctc site timings) quick option went down and got a message that " Quick book option not available from 8.00a.m to 9.00 a.m"

Gone to the "Plan My Travel" and got a message " Service not available"

At 8.05 a.m all Tatkal seats gone to the Waiting list mode.
Yesterday and today I managed to book onward and return tickets to hyderabad from bangalore in tatkal for my relative.

It first says service not available, but keep refreshing until the page opens and once it opens, don't click refresh, it takes some time, but it will work.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:58   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

i use makemytrip's train booking interface.
Although in the end that too depends on IRCTC to be up, but at least it makes for a more user-friendly experience.
Old 14th April 2011, 14:50   #216
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
08:01:40 - Availability 23 (After entering the passenger deatils)
08:03:13 - WL41 (After making payment)

This should not be happening. Once passenger details are entered, the system is supposed to block the tickets till you make the payment. Obviously, some hanky panky is going on.
Old 14th April 2011, 14:55   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wildon, try doing this 3 days in a row, and you would be 100% assured of achieving a hatrick with the same result.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:06   #218
Senior - BHPian

Its a harrowing time when booking tickets under tatkal. I knew that some mischief is bound to happen and same did happen with me as the page was unable to be refreshed. As if the page was stuck for some reason. Luckily had few friend and relatives trying simultaneously and finally could book the tickets through one of my relatives. Total help tried - 4 friends and 3 relatives and one gets lucky. I still remember the time of booking it was 8.02:30 am.
Had me sweating during those moments even in office AC
Old 14th April 2011, 15:13   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie
It first says service not available, but keep refreshing until the page opens
Exactly. F5 is your friend here. It works, as I know from experience. Even in those cases when you have made the payment, but the transistion from bank-website to IRCTC is taking an inordinately long time to complete (with the possibility of transaction timing out), I have succeeded by doing a Refresh.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:19   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This should not be happening. Once passenger details are entered, the system is supposed to block the tickets till you make the payment. Obviously, some hanky panky is going on.
It does not work like that. Happened to me many times. You see that there are seats available, you enter the details and make the payment and your ticket can end up in WL. Only thing what you can do is pray
Old 14th April 2011, 15:25   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Once passenger details are entered, the system is supposed to block the tickets till you make the payment.
Thats not the way this system is designed. There is no concept of blocking. System simply does booking once payment is cleared.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:35   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Thats not the way this system is designed. There is no concept of blocking. System simply does booking once payment is cleared.
Ya I too would second that.
Given the volume of parallel transactions vs the time it takes to do a payment clearance they would not block any record.
Everything is open for first come first serve.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:04   #223
BHPian

In response to the numerous complaints about problems with Tatkal (~ 8 to 10 AM) booking, IRCTC seem to have taken the "easy" way out by just increasing the timeout intervals throughout the application.

As a result, in place of the repeated service unavailable / failure messages previously encountered, users now get a sense of the pages loading at a much slower speed. Obviously, while one's booking requests / payment confirmation messages are still being processed, others are booking tickets in the background. Hence, the massive difference between What you see (when you click the make payment button) and what you eventually get.

The right approach would actually be to scale up / down hardware on demand, but they don't seem ready for that exercise yet.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:41   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Ticket booking experience yesterday.

08:00:02 - www.irctc.co.in - Service not available - Refresh
08:00:07 - Login Page - Enter Login Credentials - Go
08:00:19 - Service not available - Refresh
08:00:40 - Plan my booking - Enter details - Find Trains
08:01:08 - Service not available - Refresh
08:01:15 - List displayed - Choose Train & Class
08:02:06 - Service not available - Refresh
08:02:18 - Available 114 - Book
08:02:51 - Service not available - Refresh
08:03:20 - Enter Passenger Details - Availability 97
08:03:43 - Payment Option - Select - Pay
08:04:22 - Amount debited - Pls wait
08:04:53 - Service not available - Refresh
08:05:20 - Time out - Relogin
08:06:03 to 08:09:40 - Same story! again amount debited & Login Time out

08:11:10 to 08:16:45 - Third attempt, thank God availability was 26 and finally got the ticket confirmed
Old 20th April 2011, 15:56   #225
BHPian

Lots of stories to share, not worth it but!

THE MOST FRUSTRATING SITE ON THE NET! I'm waiting for the loader to load in the Train Details and Availability as i'm writing this!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks