Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 16:06   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
One serious question for the imbeciles calling themselves the "authorities".
1. How many truck drives you have arrested for parking on the road on foggy nights without any tail lights or warning?
2. How many tractor drivers have you arrested for going the wrong way in the fast lane?
Well said
I wonder how a 12km wheelie, obviously performed by by a skilled rider is more dangerous or a greater public nuisance than the average everyday motercycle rider doing 30km/h in the center lane on 4-6 lane roads, without proper riding gear, no mirrors, no indicators, cellphone in one hand and an empty skull. Why does the media never make big stories out of Baja M80 rideres doing 20km/h the wrong way on a one way road? Probably because many of their reporters do the same.

Generally speaking, we as a society tend to pull down people who are gifted or exceptionally skilled at something. Probably these people make us insecure.
Old 1st April 2008, 18:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Well said
I wonder how a 12km wheelie, obviously performed by by a skilled rider is more dangerous or a greater public nuisance than the average everyday motercycle rider doing 30km/h in the center lane on 4-6 lane roads, without proper riding gear, no mirrors, no indicators, cellphone in one hand and an empty skull.
One reason I can think of is this stunt encourages 1000s of bikers to start thinking they can do it too without extensive (expensive) preparation required. I am not saying they should not be allowed to, but they should try it only if there are dedicated areas to try the stunts. But who will explain it to them.

here is another one that explains what happens when you leave stunting to kids unsupervised.

Old 1st April 2008, 19:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
One reason I can think of is this stunt encourages 1000s of bikers to start thinking they can do it too without extensive (expensive) preparation required. I am not saying they should not be allowed to, but they should try it only if there are dedicated areas to try the stunts. But who will explain it to them.

here is another one that explains what happens when you leave stunting to kids unsupervised.

YouTube - Lahori Wheelers: Sabeeh Ruka Nahin
Vivek,
Had the media shown the full coverage of the talked event, you would not have said these words. There was an interview conducted with Sandeep and Gurpreet who explained how this 'dark art' should be channeled. They explained about the full protective gear. They discouraged the street stunting without proper gear. Unfortunately, nothing was shown by the media. They just mixed this tailored video, showing with recorded vidoes of hooligans stunting without protective gear in busy traffic, liking all of them with xbhp.

I have a doubt that you had not read about the whole incident and you do not know much about xbhp.
Old 1st April 2008, 23:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
The channel accompanied the guys promising to show it live in a positive way (about stunting as a career etc), but what went on air was completely opposite for god knows why!
Old tactics. I've seen that happen with other clubs too. "AajTak" channel was the Culprit at that time. Promising one thing, then cheating it's way to show something else because that will have more "Masala" content.
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post

I have a doubt that you had not read about the whole incident and you do not know much about xbhp.
Your doubt is valid. I actually have read about the incident and have been an active member of XBHP since 2005 (same ID), not very active though.

none of it makes me believe what was done was correct.
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:38   #51
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
absolutely correct. our media which only shows sensational stories did not report abut 3 bikers getting badly hurt @ 3 am last week under moolchand underpass.

they were all doing some insane speed, zigzagging thru trucks and sumos and then ended up rearing an indica right in middle of moolchand underpass. luckily other cars/trucks managed to stop else they would have been run over.

i guess they would have tried such stunts earlier with success as well.
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:42   #52
BHPian

I support Gurpreet.
I fail to understand as to why should he have taken permision to ride HIS bike on a single wheel? And who would have been the authourities from whom this permision was to be aquired? Which motor vehicle act says that if a bike starts riding on one wheel it becomes a crime?

If people say that Gurpreet has taken a risk; then there are plenty of jokers on the roads who can't handle their bikes even on two wheels. In that case, they are taking a bigger risk and they also should be arrested!
I don't think even the police is sure whether it is negligent driving or not. I am sanguine that it is a case of media coverage hungry inspectors and havildars('look maa, I am on TV' syndrome)and those media people who will sell off anything!
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:16   #53
Team-BHP Support

I saw the footage, where they showed some bikers on 100cc bikes revving engines, while the monkey in the voiceover claiming these bikes ride at 200kmph(do sau kilometer prati ghante ki raftar se) and injure and kill people in Delhi every day.
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:27   #54
BHPian

Good observation Tanveer.
Like I said earlier, it's all the Masala games.
Either they are out to catch consumer eyes by deliberate Masala in news or Just plain downright dumb in not knowing facts.
(Although, Most of the journalists that I see myself, are usually on a 100cc bike. So They definately DO know what these piddly commuters are capable of)
Old 2nd April 2008, 02:22   #55
BHPian

Quote:
One serious question for the imbeciles calling themselves the "authorities".
2. How many tractor drivers have you arrested for going the wrong way in the fast lane?
After reading some of the posts here about how safe the wheelie was, it should be safe to assume that a tractor driving wrong way in fast lane is also safe. If a person can't see a big a$$ tractor coming in the opposite direction in broad day light and maneuver the vehicle around it, then he isn't fit to drive. What say?

Doesn't sound sensible, does it? I think this case is also the same, may not be as dangerous as a tractor driving wrong side.

Lets just look at the following facts as a lay person forgetting our passion for motorbikes for a minute. Lets look at it like a lawyer.

1. Those who are questioning if there is a law about driving a two wheeler on one wheel, yes that law is called reckless driving law - If only one wheel was needed to drive it then the manufacturer wouldn't have given two wheels. So manufacturer deems it unsafe to drive a two wheel vehicle on one wheel. Now occasional lifting of vehicle on two wheels would be forgiven, but doing it for 12 KM's sure is.

2. Now XBHP claims that all safety precautions were taken. Very good thing but who certified your precautions? If I am a Noida cop who got a phone call from a passerby about a wheelie on an expressway, how am I to know that it is a part of a publicity stunt and all precautions have been taken? How will I know that this is a part of a plan to attract crowd and explode a bomb? How will I know that the safety precautions are good enough to not cause harm to other road users and the biker himself? The police department didn't certify them!

3. We may argue that police have no clue about the safety precautions and have no system in place to certify the same. True, but legal paper work is legal paper work and there is no way around it. Any public gathering, stunts etc should be notified to the police and permission obtained.

4. Assuming the cops ignore this incident (especially after the biker menace Delhi had recently), on what grounds can they arrest a next wheelie done by amateurs with no safety precautions taken?

5. Finally, XBHP has a commercial sponsor in Castrol and it may have conducted other events as well, it can be fairly safe to assume that they know about the permission requirements. So is it the contempt for police system that they haven't applied for permission? How can they argue that they are different from the other biker thugs? To a lay person like me, they all look the same. How can I differentiate between the good and bad? We all know the answer already and no, its not XBHP sticker.

And what have the cops done after the arrest? Let him go as it was a small offense and warning message has been sent to others planning similar stunts. If Media has made a big issue out of arrest, what are we doing here after the release?

Btw, the replies on this thread remind me of an incident that happened at Kolkotta(?) airport. This NRI couple visited India one vacation with a kid in tow, and all supplied packed but forgot to pack the kids passport. The immigration following the rules deported the kid. The parents and media made a big issue of it... how can they not allow a small kid into the country. He is brown and looks Indian and since he is a kid, he can't a terrorrist. Well, all of it is fine but you still need a passport to get into the country. Rules are Rules.

Now those who ask why the rules are not being applied to other cases, it is precisely because of this... everyone wants to make their own rules. The cops get questioned if they implement a rule and questioned if they dont.

Last edited by Mayavi : 2nd April 2008 at 02:24.
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:30   #56
Team-BHP Support

@Mayavi, I am not saying the guy did not break any law and should not be punished. Yes he broke the law, but the punishment(arrest) is too harsh.
On the same expressway there are many people who do things much more dangerous to others, and they are never fined, let alone arrested.
A punishment must be in line with the crime, when you have punishment to make an example and create sensationalism, its like a Banana republic

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd April 2008 at 08:31.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
@Mayavi, I am not saying the guy did not break any law and should not be punished. Yes he broke the law, but the punishment(arrest) is too harsh.
On the same expressway there are many people who do things much more dangerous to others, and they are never fined, let alone arrested.
A punishment must be in line with the crime, when you have punishment to make an example and create sensationalism, its like a Banana republic
I think its good to begin somewhere.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexister View Post
I think its good to begin somewhere.
Let's first begin with everyone of us here who does 140-150 kph on public roads. A biker whose absolutely straight line riding 40-60 (whether on one wheel or two) has no danger to the public except shock value - he is a true lane driver. Whereas a tractor coming wrong side on a highway IS unexpected and forces you to change direction/plan - THIS guy wouldn't have. A car guy doing 140-150 (esp on stock rubber) inspite of his hopes of total control is much more dangerous. If you disagree, come to Delhi, and I'll show you how, in your car

If you read iraghava's post, most of us here meet many more dangerous (to themselves/others) bikers on a daily basis - this guy is under discussion just because the media sensationalized it. period.

PS: Enough. i'm bored of the circularity. I'm outta this thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, if the charge is of reckless driving then arrest is too harsh a punishment and may be even extra-judicial, the biker can take the police to court. But I am not sure if he was 'arrested' or merely 'detained', he was anyway allowed to go with a reprimand and not even a monetary fine!

Quote:
There are crimes and then there are high profile crimes. Remember the Jessica Lal murder case? So many people get killed in India every day and the murderers walk free, but unfortunately for Manu Sharma, Jessica lal is a famous model with friends in media. Police sometimes choose to make an example of some people just to deter other's from performing similar 'crimes', it is not illegal, just unfortunate.
One example is speeding on US interstates. Sometimes everyone will be driving over speed limit and we speed too to keep up with traffic and end up being caught by a cop. The rest of the traffic will slow down (which is what the cop wants) but one unfortunate driver is made an example of and is slapped with a ticket.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:39   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I agree, if the charge is of reckless driving then arrest is too harsh a punishment and may be even extra-judicial, the biker can take the police to court. But I am not sure if he was 'arrested' or merely 'detained', he was anyway allowed to go with a reprimand and not even a monetary fine!
According to newpaper reports he furnished Rs.10000 bail bond

Quote:
There are crimes and then there are high profile crimes. Remember the Jessica Lal murder case? So many people get killed in India every day and the murderers walk free, but unfortunately for Manu Sharma, Jessica lal is a famous model with friends in media. Police sometimes choose to make an example of some people just to deter other's from performing similar 'crimes', it is not illegal, just unfortunate.
One example is speeding on US interstates. Sometimes everyone will be driving over speed limit and we speed too to keep up with traffic and end up being caught by a cop. The rest of the traffic will slow down (which is what the cop wants) but one unfortunate driver is made an example of and is slapped with a ticket.
Jessica lal was a murder case, and Manu sharma did not get a punishment harsher than he deserved.
In the US speeders are fined at par with other offenders.
Drive drunk, you are in jail, drive 5mph over the speed limit cops will ignore you, 20mph above the limit you get a fine.
In India its the opposite
Drive on wrong side of road, drive drunk, jump a red light no fine no jail. In Noida the police the do not have breath analyzers and there is very little policing at red lights.
By catching one guy, asking him to furnish a bail bond, and at the same time ignoring dangerous offenses.
In the US I am sure a tractor without tail lights will not be allowed on a highway

Do a wheelie and you go to Jail??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks